Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MF Splitter crash in Audiobus3

Touching its fader in Audiobus 3’s mixer causes instruments to enter continuous sustain...then MF Splitter freezes up.

Comments

• edited October 2018

Do the same thing here. But why do you need to change AB mixer splitter fader? Unfortunately MF dev is hard to reach, but perhaps @michael can do something for that.

• I'm actually going to be building splitter functionality into AB soon, so that's the long term fix. I can't seem to make it crash over here, but I'd rather focus on replacing the third-party stuff with my own robust built-in mechanism.

• @Michael said:
    I'm actually going to be building splitter functionality into AB soon, so that's the long term fix. I can't seem to make it crash over here, but I'd rather focus on replacing the third-party stuff with my own robust built-in mechanism.

YES! And channel filtering too? Say yes!

• Yes =) (I presume you mean from apps and AUs; AB already does channel filtering on MIDI hardware sources and destinations, and virtual MIDI)

• @Michael said:
    Yes =) (I presume you mean from apps and AUs; AB already does channel filtering on MIDI hardware sources and destinations, and virtual MIDI)

Hurrah! Yes, that. Some apps, like my most beloved Quantum for example, just send all of its MIDI out when in AB3. At the moment, there’s is no way to filter the MIDI output into AB lanes without using a MF app. I own the MF suite so NBD but if I want to share an AB Preset with those who may not own it...

Dude, that you created IAA (essentially) and “AB MIDI Filters” on iOS only for Apple to eventually catch on is not lost on me. Promise.

• I’m so glad to hear this. I’m all for the modular approach in some ways, but with AudioBus I would much prefer much of these options built in.

In fact I would like a lot more note input options in AudioBus above and beyond a simple keyboard. In this day and age of touch screens, we should be having much more choice than something that resembles a piano keyboard.

• Thank you for responding....

I do not ‘want’ to touch the mf fader, but when it is accidentally bumped.....and what’s its purpose, anyway?

Looking eagerly forward for AB3 splitter capability!

• I have comfirmed the same bug as posted by the OP. As soon as I touch the faders in MF splitter channels I get stuck notes on the synth loaded in those channels (iPad Pro 9.7 /IOS 12.0.1, tested it with many different AU synths)
    Many people are saying that there’s no response from @JohannesD when reporting bugs. Does anybody know if he’s still around? I use the standard Midiflow app and iMIDIPatchbay A LOT, bought all the IAPs and use them intensively, it would be a disaster for my setup if those apps stop working for any reason...

• edited October 2018

Thank you Rodolfo! I also rely upon MF Adapter...it lets me use non-updated apps in AB3; hope that feature also becomes available in AB3😉.

• @fred said:
    Thank you Rodolfo! I also rely upon MF Adapter...it lets me use non-updated apps in AB3; hope that feature also becomes available in AB3😉.

AB3 actually has Virtual Midi in/out right now. It shows up at the top of the list, but only when Virtual Midi is on in another app. If you just open AB3 and look for it, it isn’t there. But when another app is running and has a Virtual Midi port active, you should see it show up.
    It may not work for all apps, though, probably for similar reasons that MF Adapter doesn’t work for all apps. It most likely comes down to how a particular app has the Virtual Midi feature implemented.

• Well thank you I will see if I can figure out how to try it out😇

• Hi everyone, I looked into the issue now and I can confirm here, that touching the Spitter's fader somehow causes note-off messages not to be forwarded to subsequent apps in the MIDI pipeline.

My setup in the MIDI tab: MF Keyboard -> MF Splitter -> MF Monitor -> CMP Piano
    It works fine at the beginning. But after touching the slider in AB (I'm not sure why AB shows one because Splitter's Audio Port is marked as hidden in the SDK), the Note Offs sent by Splitter don't arrive at the Monitor anymore.

@Michael I'm on the latest TestFlight version, and I've read that you have made some essential changes to AB's MIDI system. Is it possible that this has introduced a bug?

Best,
    Johannes

• @Michael said:
    Yes =) (I presume you mean from apps and AUs; AB already does channel filtering on MIDI hardware sources and destinations, and virtual MIDI)

Eww, does that mean that the existing convention (all AB MIDI is always on channel one) does not hold anymore?

• edited October 2018

@JohannesD said:
    Hi everyone, I looked into the issue now and I can confirm here, that touching the Spitter's fader somehow causes note-off messages not to be forwarded to subsequent apps in the MIDI pipeline.

My setup in the MIDI tab: MF Keyboard -> MF Splitter -> MF Monitor -> CMP Piano
    It works fine at the beginning. But after touching the slider in AB (I'm not sure why AB shows one because Splitter's Audio Port is marked as hidden in the SDK), the Note Offs sent by Splitter don't arrive at the Monitor anymore.

@Michael I'm on the latest TestFlight version, and I've read that you have made some essential changes to AB's MIDI system. Is it possible that this has introduced a bug?

Best,
    Johannes

On another topic, can you please fix recent iOS12 screen edges bug on MF for Audiobus keyboard. It’s need to tap firmly on bottom screen edge on iPhone (7 Plus here). It’s a common bug already fixed in other apps like Gadget, Thumbjam, etc. I love your keyboard, can’t wait for a fix :)

• On another topic, can you please fix recent iOS12 screen edges bug on MF for Audiobus keyboard. It’s need to tap firmly on bottom screen edge on iPhone (7 Plus here). It’s a common bug already fixed in other apps like Gadget, Thumbjam, etc. I love your keyboard, can’t wait for a fix :)

Fixed and submitted :)

• @JohannesD said:

On another topic, can you please fix recent iOS12 screen edges bug on MF for Audiobus keyboard. It’s need to tap firmly on bottom screen edge on iPhone (7 Plus here). It’s a common bug already fixed in other apps like Gadget, Thumbjam, etc. I love your keyboard, can’t wait for a fix :)

Fixed and submitted :)

So cool thanks !! :)

• Looking into the stuff on my side shortly; quite possible there's a bug. On our honeymoon right now so it'll be a little longer than usual though!

• Thanks, and have a nice time! :-)

• @Janosax said:
    It's released now. Have fun!

@Michael
    Did a little more research and found out, that this happens with any MIDI app. With the setup

MFKeyboard -> CMP Piano

moving the Keyboard's slider filters out note offs from now on. Restarting MF Keyboard does not fix the issue. I believe, if this was an MF Keyboard bug, resetting the app would make the thing work again. However, the issue persists after restarting.

I hope that helps.

• edited October 2018

So great, such a joy to play that keyboard on iPhone 7 Plus thanks for that fix again ;)

• So after reading what JohannesD said about touching MF faders, is the problem fixed or simply ‘verified’...or are we waiting for AB3 developers’ honeymoon? Please excuse my being dense here...

• It's only verified. I could not find any misbehavior on MF's side, though. So, without further information from Michael, I believe it is an AB issue. The MF apps don't react to changes in the fader, and the problem did not exist with previous AB versions as far as I know. If fixing this issue requires changes on my side after all, then that's what I'll do. But, as already said, I need Michael to investigate.

• Ok thanks.

I don’t think I noticed the issue until upgrading to iOS 12.

• @Michael said:
    ..On our honeymoon right now so it'll be a little longer than usual though!

Congrats! Hopefully you're somewhere exotic with great views and weather!

• Issue diagnosed, fix coming shortly

• Wonderful!!!! 😇

• (If you're in the beta program, the version uploaded last night has the fix. Just waiting for some feedback from testers before making it public)

• @Michael said:
    (If you're in the beta program, the version uploaded last night has the fix. Just waiting for some feedback from testers before making it public)

That’s fixed here, thanks Michael!!

• Works here, too. Tested with MF Keyboard and Splitter, together with iSymphonic and CMP Piano.