Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA sync

I actually feel like it's the best/easiest option. AMICRAZY?

Anyone else into shunning MIDI/Link?

Comments

• I would never shun MIDI as I interface to hardware and need MIDI Clock for syncing my Hardware Sequencers/Arps and FX on synths....

IAA Sync is pretty solid for app sync and supports Start/Stop

• While I do love Link, I’m not convinced that some apps don’t have issues with it. I’ve encountered times when switching off Link seems to bring some stability to the apps I’m using. I can’t sort of prove anything though, so I’m not going to name the apps and it really could be just my vivid imagination :p

• I often like IAA, too. For me, it's situational.

• I still have issues with many apps IAA ghosting and as I change setups a lot, I get fed up of having to restart my iPad

• I've noticed the mixing of sync options seems to not go down well.

This is why I bring this up. My all IAA sessions are as tight as it can get. When I avoid all that other stuff it was like I got the ghosts out of my iPad.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I still have issues with many apps IAA ghosting and as I change setups a lot, I get fed up of having to restart my iPad

Ah yeh this is true. I just leave all my stuff running in the background so I can pick up where i left off. I know that's bad juju but I feel like that's one of the iOS perks.

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I still have issues with many apps IAA ghosting and as I change setups a lot, I get fed up of having to restart my iPad

I habitually clear ghost apps after every music session, whether I’ve used IAA apps or not. It takes less than 10 seconds. I almost never have audio weirdness, unexpected battery drain, or problems loading apps. And I very rarely need to reboot my iPad. I highly recommend this approach. I’m convinced it’s the reason I have so many fewer app problems than other people seem to have.

Once you get in the habit, it becomes second nature.

Close all apps, hold down the power button until the power off slider shows, then hold down the home button until the slider disappears and the home screen appears. Easy.

• @BroCoast said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Ah yeh this is true. I just leave all my stuff running in the background so I can pick up where i left off. I know that's bad juju but I feel like that's one of the iOS perks.

I soon run out of resources on my Air2 when I leave too much running. If BM3 had a nice quick freeze option, this wouldn’t be so bad. I often find myself switching to 1024, just to keep the crackles at bay :p

• @wim said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I habitually clear ghost apps after every music session, whether I’ve used IAA apps or not. It takes less than 10 seconds. I almost never have audio weirdness, unexpected battery drain, or problems loading apps. And I very rarely need to reboot my iPad. I highly recommend this approach. I’m convinced it’s the reason I have so many fewer app problems than other people seem to have.

Close all apps, hold down the power button until the power off slider shows, then hold down the home button until the slider disappears and the home screen appears. Easy.

Do you skip between different projects often though? I switch BM3 projects more often than I have cups of coffee.

Also I thought a restart of the iPad was the only way to make sure all ghosts get exorcised, am I wrong? Would be lovely to be sure it works in quicker ways.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@BroCoast said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I soon run out of resources on my Air2 when I leave too much running. If BM3 had a nice quick freeze option, this wouldn’t be so bad. I often find myself switching to 1024, just to keep the crackles at bay :p

I was doing that. (DAW style) and getting heaps of crackles and needing to go 1024, even still some of my projects are like overcooked and can't run at any setting. :D

The past few days I don't know what it is but I seem to be able to pull off 256 all the way. Some kind of blessed combo of apps maybe. Animoog, Model D, Flux:FX, VCS3, Funkbox, M3000HD simultaneously somehow works.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@wim said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Do you skip between different projects often though? I switch BM3 projects more often than I have cups of coffee.

Also I thought a restart of the iPad was the only way to make sure all ghosts get exorcised, am I wrong? Would be lovely to be sure it works in quicker ways.

Yes, I switch between projects all the time. But I start with a clean slate. It seriously takes less than 10 seconds and I’m not even conscious of the process usually anymore.

I can’t give you an answer based on facts whether this is as effective as a reboot. I can only relate my experience. I can count on one hand the times in the last few years where shit was so messed up I needed to reboot to clear it up. I do know that it makes all the ghost midi connections disappear.

• edited October 2018

I’ve ignored Link for a good while but seems like AU effect apps like Turnado and others sync easier to Link. Also since global stop/start I’m kind of cool with it.

The only reason I’d consider going back to IAA or MIDI sync is for when I play with a live drummer and he completely strays off grid. Stopping the session and restarting in with his timing sorts it out instantly. I haven’t tried Link with a live drummer yet so we shall see.

Not sure about IAA but the old fashioned MIDI sync still works pretty well.

• @wim said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yes, that works (until we get iPads with no home buttons). Also if you know what app ghosts out just start it, double click home and swipe up.

• @supadom said:
    I’ve ignored Link for a good while but seems like AU effect apps like Turnado and others sync easier to Link. Also since global stop/start I’m kind of cool with it.

The only reason I’d consider going back to IAA or MIDI sync is for when I play with a live drummer and he completely strays off grid. Stopping the session and restarting in with his timing sorts it out instantly. I haven’t tried Link with a live drummer yet so we shall see.

Not sure about IAA but the old fashioned MIDI sync still works pretty well.

Not many apps have very good MIDI I have to say and there is not one that even comes close to good hardware MIDI clock.

IAA is better than my MPC60... I actually can't believe it.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Looking at the midi matrix in AUM helps me identify which iaa apps are ghosting.