Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy track select confusion

With the understanding of how tracks are numbered, why is it that (after assigning “select next track” to midi button) it does not move to the next numbered track BUT next track left to right or up and down.
I like to record loops without the loopy screen showing, so if i record #1 then press next track it doesnt put me to track #2 ( which is above) but puts me to track #3 which is to the right. This throws off my mixer.
Am i missing something?
-thx

Comments

• oh this one confused me for a long long time. I'm pretty sure the track numbers are 100% always oriented based on reference to the home button/ charge port. So if you hold the iOS device in portrait with the home button at the bottom, the track numbers will read like a book from left to right, top to bottom. Track #1 will be on top left and track 12 will be bottom right. For numbering, that reference will never change.

The tricky thing... when you are recording from MIDI bindings, the tracks will record "next track" commands based on the current orientation of the device. (irrelevent to track numbers) So if your iPad is in a stand with the charge port on the right, the recording will be left to right, top to bottom for that orientation. But the wonky thing is the track numbers will be:

• top row: 3, 6, 9, 12
    • middle row 2, 5, 8, 11
    • bottom row 1, 4, 7, 10

As long as you always keep your iPad oriented the same way, it should be easy to figure out the correct track numbers to match your mixer and MIDI bindings.

A few years ago I had a discussion about all this on the Loopy forums. In the end it sounded like it was an inevitable quirk with Loopy and I didn't want to press Michael on it. I'd much rather he spend time on Loopy Pro anyway :smile:

• personally, my reference point is: track 11 is always next to the home button. Simple. ;)

• @Hmtx said:
    oh this one confused me for a long long time. I'm pretty sure the track numbers are 100% always oriented based on reference to the home button/ charge port. So if you hold the iOS device in portrait with the home button at the bottom, the track numbers will read like a book from left to right, top to bottom. Track #1 will be on top left and track 12 will be bottom right. For numbering, that reference will never change.

The tricky thing... when you are recording from MIDI bindings, the tracks will record "next track" commands based on the current orientation of the device. (irrelevent to track numbers) So if your iPad is in a stand with the charge port on the right, the recording will be left to right, top to bottom for that orientation. But the wonky thing is the track numbers will be:

• top row: 3, 6, 9, 12
    • middle row 2, 5, 8, 11
    • bottom row 1, 4, 7, 10

As long as you always keep your iPad oriented the same way, it should be easy to figure out the correct track numbers to match your mixer and MIDI bindings.

A few years ago I had a discussion about all this on the Loopy forums. In the end it sounded like it was an inevitable quirk with Loopy and I didn't want to press Michael on it. I'd much rather he spend time on Loopy Pro anyway :smile:

Thx for replying. Yeah i always use my ipad in the same mode, landscape. I will experiment with what u said. Would be cool if we had the option to choose track number layout to help the confusion. Its awesome to just hit record without going to the loopy screen to assure its going to the track your thinking. Seems a bit quirky in the work flow. Will work at it

• Well holding the device has made no difference. I am also finding if i route “track record” track 1 to a midi button, all works great. However if i just assign a midi button to “track record” without specifying a track it oddly starts recording on track 2 not 1.
    Any help?

• edited October 2018

I use a foot pedal, with a "CC On" MIDI command set to "toggle record and select next track" for "selected track."

It works flawlessly, always starts recording from the top left track (which in my use is always track 3). Each tap cycles through recording on each track.

If you "reset session" then tap your "track record" MIDI button, does it still jump to track 2?

• Ok thx will go back at it. I will use this awesome app regardless.....
    However if you start a new channl with loopy up top in audio bus, using a selected track via the picket (>) track 1 is BOTTOM left. In contrast when you start a fresh set in loopy and midi toggle record (no assigned track) it starts TOP left.
    And yes this sounds qutie confusing, is there a bar we can meet at 😆

@Hmtx said:
    I use a foot pedal, with a "CC On" MIDI command set to "toggle record and select next track" for "selected track."

It works flawlessly, always starts recording from the top left track (which in my use is always track 3). Each tap cycles through recording on each track.

If you "reset session" then tap your "track record" MIDI button, does it still jump to track 2?

• edited October 2018

haha, it'll drive ya to drinkin' that's for sure. But this is Loopy we are dealing with here, just go with the flow and let it do what it wants. Don't question King Loopy, I understand he's getting old. It's better to wait until the son takes the throne. (Loopy Pro, he hides in the castle mostly, but I'm sure his day will come)

Also, re-read my original reply ^ up there. It's hard to explain, but once you get it... it will make sense in a quirky way.

Now that you mention it, the little icons that show up in Audiobus actually will always tell the truth.
    When home button is to the left:

and when home button is to the right:

Now this ordering only applies to track numbering. The "next track" recording sequence will always be left > right, top > bottom, which won't ever be 1 - 12 sequentially. (unless you are holding the iPad in portrait, and track 1 will also happen to be in the top left spot).

• https://forum.audiob.us/profile/Hmtx
    Thx for all this info. YES its this track order “only applies” thats really throwing me off. I use a midi mixer and map according to track numbering, but it records it a different order.
    I’ll figure out a way to keep organized.
    Such a brillant app i feel kinda bad questioning its operations 😉