Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Echo AU

Comments

• @midiSequencer said:
    @AndyPlankton thx for these - will bear this in mind

yw :)

• @midiSequencer
    Great! Looking forward to trying this out. Hope you sell a bajillion of them!

• @kinkujin said:
    @midiSequencer
    Great! Looking forward to trying this out. Hope you sell a bajillion of them!

+1

But if I can report on my own buying habits: I am super-wary of investing in any new apps, I have too many already, most of which I haven't devoted enough time to....
    UNLESS you make a video. Then I'll buy anything.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@midiSequencer said:
    The timing/velocity wobbler sounds like a quantizer for either timing or velocity. I have this already for the recording app (including strength for time or vel) but would be interesting to apply a 'groove' to live midi!

>
    More like an 'Anti-quantizer', take midi that is quantized (programmed) and move timing away from 'spot on timing' slightly or vary the velocity slightly, using random amounts would give a 'human' feel, and fixed amounts for applying Groove, which was something I didn't twig it could be used for :) You could even do Groove with Humanise by combining fixed amounts with random variation ;)

Sounds good to me, too. I've been bugging devs to get a humanize feature somewhere on iOS for ages. It would likely have to be implemented into the planned recorder, since to humanize properly, notes have to be nudged forward as well as back, and I don't think there's any way to look ahead and apply it live with AU— but I'm not sure I'd want it live, anyway, as I usually prefer to tweak settings while auditioning the results. Non-destructive editing is pretty important when you're taking notes off the grid.

• Other than being an AU is this different from the midi echo that is in Quantum?

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Other than being an AU is this different from the midi echo that is in Quantum?

Its realtime rather than steptime, so echoes note on & note off when they happen.
    Also you can mute individual echoes to make chords or arpeggios

• @midiSequencer said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:
    Other than being an AU is this different from the midi echo that is in Quantum?

Its realtime rather than steptime, so echoes note on & note off when they happen.
    Also you can mute individual echoes to make chords or arpeggios

@midiSequencer thanks for the clarification I will pick it up.

• @midiSequencer
    Why limited to 20 repeats?

I use PizMIDI's VST's in my DAW all the time and he has mididelay which is similar (but more powerful in many ways). So I'm pretty familiar with this concept.

I'd like to see:

1) Allow for repeasts that last as long as it takes for the velocity to trail to zero
    2) Allow for a latching mode. So it repeats a note until it gets that note again.

• Congrats on the release! & THX for another quality tool, cheers :)

• Sweet. Congrats and thank you @midiSequencer.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @midiSequencer
    Why limited to 20 repeats?

I use PizMIDI's VST's in my DAW all the time and he has mididelay which is similar (but more powerful in many ways). So I'm pretty familiar with this concept.

I'd like to see:

1) Allow for repeasts that last as long as it takes for the velocity to trail to zero
    2) Allow for a latching mode. So it repeats a note until it gets that note again.

Interesting idea. It was only 10 to start with, then i expanded to 20 but yes, add one more value above that and could have an infinite mode (catering for certain limits that is)

The latching mode sounds weird so not sure how useful that is - do you have a musical example or style in mind?

• @aaronpc said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@midiSequencer said:
    The timing/velocity wobbler sounds like a quantizer for either timing or velocity. I have this already for the recording app (including strength for time or vel) but would be interesting to apply a 'groove' to live midi!

>
    More like an 'Anti-quantizer', take midi that is quantized (programmed) and move timing away from 'spot on timing' slightly or vary the velocity slightly, using random amounts would give a 'human' feel, and fixed amounts for applying Groove, which was something I didn't twig it could be used for :) You could even do Groove with Humanise by combining fixed amounts with random variation ;)

Sounds good to me, too. I've been bugging devs to get a humanize feature somewhere on iOS for ages. It would likely have to be implemented into the planned recorder, since to humanize properly, notes have to be nudged forward as well as back, and I don't think there's any way to look ahead and apply it live with AU— but I'm not sure I'd want it live, anyway, as I usually prefer to tweak settings while auditioning the results. Non-destructive editing is pretty important when you're taking notes off the grid.

Yes the recorder sounds a better place as I have midi file groove templates there. If you wanted to do this in realtime however, if you had a known delay (say a bar in tempo) it could be applied within that bar.
    MidiEcho app is my approach to note in->delay->note out where delay can be tempo sync’d to the host, so that could be grooved or humanised too

• @midiSequencer : Looks like midi echo was inspired by the midi echo effect on Sqiarp Pyramid. Good stuff ...

• I just picked this up and played with it for a few minutes. I really like the concept (I own Quantum and my discovery of the MIDI effects was an eye-opener) however I would agree that the knobs are really finicky and extremely hard to dial in. Hopefully this can be addressed in a future update. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

• My wish list:
    1- option to sync delay to host bpm.
    2- AU parameters exposed
    3- scaling UI

Very nice so far, working out of the box, we don’t see that often!

• @Philippe said:
    My wish list:
    2- AU parameters exposed
    3- scaling UI

Very nice so far, working out of the box, we don’t see that often!

it already does #1. Tap words under delay knob until it says tempo, turn delay knob for sync options.

• SOLD

SOLD

Sold
    sold

• Nice! Thank you @yowza !

• @midiSequencer having a lot of fun with the app. Curious what else you have coming. Could have a prettier UI but gets the job done.

• edited October 2018

@Philippe said:
    My wish list:
    2- AU parameters exposed
    3- scaling UI

Very nice so far, working out of the box, we don’t see that often

2 au parameters are exposed? Im about to split delay into delaytime & delayTempo though.
    Scaling will be done at some point (once I've mastered auto layout!)

• @Daveypoo said:
    I just picked this up and played with it for a few minutes. I really like the concept (I own Quantum and my discovery of the MIDI effects was an eye-opener) however I would agree that the knobs are really finicky and extremely hard to dial in. Hopefully this can be addressed in a future update. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

Yes the rotary controls aren't ideal at the moment - working on next update now.

btw, in Setting app you can change the way the controls work - make them up/right to increase & down/left to decrease. The follow method seems abit sensitive.

• @midiSequencer said:

@Philippe said:
    My wish list:
    2- AU parameters exposed
    3- scaling UI

Very nice so far, working out of the box, we don’t see that often

2 au parameters are exposed? Im about to split delay into delaytime & delayTempo though.
    Scaling will be done at some point (once I've mastered auto layout!)

I haven’t tried MD in AB3 yet but I don’t see AU parameters in AUM so where are they?

• edited October 2018

@yowza
    In AUM select MENU/MIDI CTRL/CHANNELS & select Ch1:Midi Echo
    You should see this screen then & be able to automate them if you assign a midi source:

• New version submitted to Apple.
    . Can now run multi-instance in a host - so you can chain echoes
    . Reworked delay type tempo to be separate from fixed delay - please delete user presets they may not work
    . Reworked control touch - both follow finger mode & up/down/left/right(enabled in Settings App)
    . Added indicators around controls (blue dots)

Manual updated (and already online here: http:/amssoftware.org/manual/MidiEchoManual.pdf)

• Great thanks @midiSequencer will pick this one up later, do you have an eta for the midi recorder yet? :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Great thanks @midiSequencer will pick this one up later, do you have an eta for the midi recorder yet? :)

The work I just did on MidiEcho(multi instance AU & controls) was necessary before I started coding the AU parameters on the recorder. Now thats done I can restart the recorder with the aim of finishing it asap.
    I want to have the recorder (& Polythemus) in the store before Thanksgiving or sooner.

• @midiSequencer said:

@Carnbot said:
    Great thanks @midiSequencer will pick this one up later, do you have an eta for the midi recorder yet? :)

The work I just did on MidiEcho(multi instance AU & controls) was necessary before I started coding the AU parameters on the recorder. Now thats done I can restart the recorder with the aim of finishing it asap.
    I want to have the recorder (& Polythemus) in the store before Thanksgiving or sooner.

Nice, look forward to the release of both. :)

• This AU currently doesn’t work in MTS, for the none of you that were wondering.

• Does MTS allow using midi AUs?