Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Squaresynth is back -squaresynth2 8 bits synth Auv3

Comments

• An update worth purchasing!

• edited October 2018

Finally he's back!
    I thought something bad happen when mail-communication sized, guess he wanted to have some pice and quiet :)

I'll give this a few days and collect all my 'findings'(among others, AUv3 goes 'silent' after freeze/render in Cubasis) and get back to the dev with a proper report. GUI is 'iPhone only' for now but scales quite nicely.

It is a worthy successor to the original Squaresynth with separate smooth option per table and a new filter to boot, yummy!

• Awesome! I thought the developer had skipped town when Squaresynth dissapeared; very happy to see AU3. Bought!

• TIP: To reduce polyphony to mono, enable glide and set amount to zero.

• Apart from the 'Freeze Bug' when used with Cubasis(ie. the plug-in goes silent and stops producing sound) I'm really enjoying Squaresynth 2 :)

• @Samu said:
    Apart from the 'Freeze Bug' when used with Cubasis(ie. the plug-in goes silent and stops producing sound) I'm really enjoying Squaresynth 2 :)

For those of us with a slew of synths (which we guiltily may or may not use as much as we'd like) is there anything particular in your opinion that would recommend this as a worthwhile addition?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Samu said:
    Apart from the 'Freeze Bug' when used with Cubasis(ie. the plug-in goes silent and stops producing sound) I'm really enjoying Squaresynth 2 :)

For those of us with a slew of synths (which we guiltily may or may not use as much as we'd like) is there anything particular in your opinion that would recommend this as a worthwhile addition?

If one already has the original Squaresynth (and likes the sounds) the sound is almost the same but with the added multi-mode filter and extended modulation tables(ie. step sequencers).

Doug @thesoundtestroom did a video of the original Squaresynth long, long time ago.

It's still tedious work to create those type of sounds with other iOS synths...

• @Samu .. how is the Au automation functioning?

• edited October 2018

@RockySmalls said:
    @Samu .. how is the Au automation functioning?

Will do some more testing with multiple hosts(AUM, ApeMatrix and Cubasis) later, can't split my self into multiple persons :)

I do feel that the AUv3 implementation needs to be looked at by the dev at some point to 'fix' at least the Cubasis freeze issues.(I had the same type of 'problem' in GarageBand where the AUv3 went 'silent' after a track merge).

I've mostly been having fun creating some sounds for it and 'sampling' them into BM3.

As far as I can see no AUParameters are exposed yet.
    It has basic midi support (8 part multi timbral) and 3 user assignable 'sliders' per preset which i suspect can receive Midi CC. Have not found any user manual for it so I can't check...

• edited October 2018

@Samu
    ok,, I’ll be more specific :)
    how is the au automation in Cubasis?
    i don’t mind the freeze issue for the moment.. i presume its not a cpu heavy synth.. and i am also presuming ( presumptive.. moi? ) that you just have to restart cubasis to get the sound back?? I loved the old square synth so am tempted by this.. annoyingly times is hard and i am trying not to spend up my itunes balance too quick in case of ‘ interesting things’ appearing from nowhere... at the moment i try and find an app i have that will cover a prospective purchase before splashing out... in this case the nearest was Enkl ( outside of Kamata in Gadget... come on you gadget Au’s!! ). but I’d forgotten how unreadable the labels are on Enkl.. and thats on a 10.5 screen!! the au doesn’t resize either annoyingly..

• edited October 2018

@RockySmalls said:
    ok,, I’ll be more specific :)
    how is the au automation in Cubasis?
    i don’t mind the freeze issue for the moment.. i presume its not a cpu heavy synth.. and i am also presuming ( presumptive.. moi? ) that you just have to restart cubasis to get the sound back?? I loved the old square synth so am tempted by this.. annoyingly times is hard and i am trying not to spend up my itunes balance too quick in case of ‘ interesting things’ appearing from nowhere... at the moment i try and find an app i have that will cover a prospective purchase before splashing out... in this case the nearest was Enkl ( outside of Kamata in Gadget... come on you gadget Au’s!! ). but I’d forgotten how unreadable the labels are on Enkl.. and thats on a 10.5 screen!! the au doesn’t resize either annoyingly..

Just need to unload the AUv3 and then load it again to regain sound.(but one better save the tweaked preset before doing that). Also in sometimes when 'quitting' Cubasis with the AUv3 it's silent on reload so there might be some quirks that need fixing. Maybe they are already fixed and an update is waiting for approval? but we don't know that...

Remember I'm a recovering app-o-holic too and try to plan ahead.
    I knew an AUv3 version of Squaresynth was in the works just didn't know when it would drop...

Another way to work with the app is to load it as a regular IAA App (not as AUv3) and treat it as an 8-part multi-timbral sound module and record the output into Cubasis.

For me Squaresynth 2 is 'Sampler Food' for BM3 :)

One question that bumps to mind is what would need automation in Cubasis considering that the tables can be used to modulate Pitch, Wave, Pulse Width, Gain & Filter. And it's Velocity Sensitive? (All other parameters can be assigned to the 3 sliders which I presume are possible to control via Midi CC but no manual yet so I can't check).

• One question that bumps to mind is what would need automation in Cubasis considering that the tables can be used to modulate Pitch, Wave, Pulse Width, Gain & Filter. And it's Velocity Sensitive? (All other parameters can be assigned to the 3 sliders which I presume are possible to control via Midi CC but no manual yet so I can't check).

well that’s nice to know.. maybe filter control over a slower and longer length of time? maybe change the waveform at a specific point in time only?
    au automation in cubasis is my most often asked question.. it’s the one daw where devs often have a hiccup with it on app launch ( because of... well, you know, we don’t have to have that conversation again :) .. ) but its where i like to play most often so the question is always there on the tip of my tongue..

• @RockySmalls said:

well that’s nice to know.. maybe filter control over a slower and longer length of time? maybe change the waveform at a specific point in time only?

For those cases I'd recommend another AUv3 filter on top with more 'bite' on top be honest.
    I do get what you mean though.

Personally I like to automate the 'LFO Key Sync' in Gadget(ie. toggle between free-running and synced PWM sweep).
    The LFO Key Sync option is there in SquareSynth 2 as well but can not be automated yet.

Time will tell in what direction Squaresynth 2 goes, hope it does well and gets more love from the developer for a long time to come :)

• wow... right on time. Was about to start a project with Squaresynth :lol:
    Now off to buy some itunes gift cards :wink:

• edited October 2018

Tested.
    The verdict:
    -Metronome not working in standalone.
    -No looper in AUV3.
    -No presets in AuV3.

Not in app description. ???

Talking app description, did anyone found « multitimbrality »?

Such a hype for AUV3, but most of apps going AUV3 loose functionnalities.
    I really don’t get the hype.

• @Philippe said:
    Tested.
    The verdict:
    -No looper in AUV3.
    -No presets in AuV3.

For multitimbality, I found that each midi channel can load its own synth setup or voice.
    Is that what you meant?
    You set it up under Prefs>Midi.

• edited October 2018

My AU window seems cutoff on the right side, in AB and AUM.
    On the iPad Air2, btw.

Edit: you can 2 finger scroll the AU window left and right. :p

• edited October 2018

@Philippe said:
    Tested.
    The verdict:
    -No looper in AUV3.
    -No presets in AuV3.

Re preset:

You have to press “load” to see the preset list
    This confused me in previous version, I kept pressing the preset window...

• Standalone not loading for me. Screen 1 sec and then disappears. Any way to do the multitimbral is AU? Thats all I really care about.

• @Multicellular said:
    Standalone not loading for me. Screen 1 sec and then disappears. Any way to do the multitimbral is AU? Thats all I really care about.

I don’t see a way to do multitimbral AU.
    I assume you could just use multi instance.

• edited October 2018

@CracklePot said:

@Multicellular said:
    Standalone not loading for me. Screen 1 sec and then disappears. Any way to do the multitimbral is AU? Thats all I really care about.

I don’t see a way to do multitimbral AU.
    I assume you could just use multi instance.

Ya. Not a great workflow for me. Still...happy I bought it for single voice use. Very light CPU hit as expected, I definitely seek out sound like this sometimes.

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Samu said:

If you like the synthsounds of Zillidrone, Caustic’s 8bit synth, Nanoloop, Gadgets Kamata, or Commodore 64 or NES computer music (chip tunesy) this is probably the most detailed tweakable thing on iOS for that stuff

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Samu said:

If you like the synthsounds of Zillidrone, Caustic’s 8bit synth, Nanoloop, Gadgets Kamata, or Commodore 64 or NES computer music (chip tunesy) this is probably the most detailed tweakable thing on iOS for that stuff

Thank you good sir. The word Kamata is pregnant/redolent enough to have me sit quietly back down.

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Samu said:

Thank you good sir. The word Kamata is pregnant/redolent enough to have me sit quietly back down.

Ahhh.
    SquareSynth does cover more ground but they both come from the same extended family, I think. Judges?

• @Littlewoodg said:

SidTracker64 is still comes out on top for when it comes to table-manipulation for chip sounds ;)
    Have not heard anything from the devs in a long time but then again it's still working as expected with just a few quirks...

• edited October 2018

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:

SidTracker64 is still comes out on top for when it comes to table-manipulation for chip sounds ;)
    Have not heard anything from the devs in a long time but then again it's still working as expected with just a few quirks...

Glad you chimed in, I defer to you in chiptune matters (along with many other matters) :)

problem is I can’t use it as an IAA instrument in another host app (shows up as IAA, and midi destination, and is set up for note-in midi, I think?) But no go in AUM, MTS, AEM, Cubasis...so seems not usable as a hosted synth like others listed.

• @Littlewoodg said:

Yep, problem is I can’t use it as an instrument in another host app (shows up as IAA and midi destination). But no go in AUM, MTS, AEM, Cubasis...so strictly speaking not usable as a synth like others listed.

I'll have to re-check this since I've had like zero issues sequencing SidTracker64 using other apps?!
    SunVox is also amazingly flexible when it comes to using tables to control & create sounds but that's slightly OT.

• edited October 2018

@Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Yep, problem is I can’t use it as an instrument in another host app (shows up as IAA and midi destination). But no go in AUM, MTS, AEM, Cubasis...so strictly speaking not usable as a synth like others listed.

I'll have to re-check this since I've had like zero issues sequencing SidTracker64 using other apps?!
    SunVox is also amazingly flexible when it comes to using tables to control & create sounds but that's slightly OT.

If you have a host/Sidtracker64 combination that works for sequencing, please share...

it wasn’t til your post above that I realized I could use Sidtrackers ultra cool synth anywhere but in Sidtracker, but I can’t get it to work.

• edited October 2018

Sidtracker, as far as I recall... cannot be sequenced externally

But it's a sexy beast

Edit: BTW, just tried it again. There are the midi options, but I never got it to work with a sequencer :neutral: A midi keyboard goes ok!

• edited October 2018

@Samu ( or indeed anyone else ) can you share anything on the au automation functioning in cubasis yet?