Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Got PEAK? MidiFire & MidiDesigner Layout for the Mod Matrix

Hey Guys,

Slightly OT but I know a few of us here love a bit of hardware and midi stuff.

If you own a Novation Peak, and also the MidiFire and Midi Designer apps, you'll likely be interested in the layout I'm working on for the Mod Matrix.

Eliminate all menu diving!! ;)

The above Matrix is for Peak's factory Patch #90 "Fanfare Horns" that uses all 16 Matrix slots. All values got sent back from the Peak to the Layout correctly. Go ahead... check! :)

Fingers crossed it'll be available to share soon.

Comments

• I have no idea what this is but I love it. keep up the good work

• edited October 2018

@Hmtx said:
    I have no idea what this is but I love it. keep up the good work

Ha cheers.

Like most Hardware synths, a lot of the control is buried in menu diving.

When I load a patch I like, I always want to know what's going on in the Mod-matrix that is altering the sound. Finding this on the Peak this is reasonably accessible but still involves many, many, button presses and knob twists within the menu to view those Matrix slots.

With this layout, 1 button press gets you ALL matrix slots, values and parameters on one big visible page. :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Hmtx said:

Ha cheers.

When I load a patch I like, I always want to know what's going on in the Mod-matrix that is altering the sound. Finding this on the Peak this is reasonably accessible but still involves many, many, button presses and knob twists within the menu to view those Matrix slots.

With this layout, 1 button press gets you ALL matrix slots, values and parameters on one big visible page. :)

Looks good, I expect you to follow this up with Mininova and Circuit versions....
    As the users here often say, it's just a version on a theme, so just copy/paste :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Hmtx said:

Ha cheers.

Looks good, I expect you to follow this up with Mininova and Circuit versions....
    As the users here often say, it's just a version on a theme, so just copy/paste :D

Ha, yeah, simples eh? :)

Actually I do have near complete versions for the Circuit (separate layouts for Macros and Matrix) and also the MonoStation. :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Hmtx said:

Ha cheers.

Ha, yeah, simples eh? :)

Actually I do have near complete versions for the Circuit (separate layouts for Macros and Matrix) and also the MonoStation. :)

Cool !

• Finally finished my PEAK MidiDesigner layout. Uses a huge StreamByter code block in MidiFire to fetch Patch State.

If anyone owns those and is interested, PM me and I can share the files. :)

• Oh, and I smartened up the ugly Matrix layout too....

• This looks amazing SpookyZoo!

How are you enjoying the Peak with this setup? Making it look very, very tempting...

• Thanks.

Yeah, the Peak is great. Most of the functionality is available on the front panel however I really wanted to make these one page layouts for a few reasons.

1) To get a complete overview of how any patch was created.

2) A one page view of all 16 Matrix routings.

3) This layout makes routing those Matrix mods a thousand times easier.

The MidiFire & MidiDesigner combo works beautifully for the Matrix layout. Smooth, quick and I think it looks great.

But I’m struggling a bit with the main Synth layout. Those sections such as the waveforms and LFO type and ranges all use a MidiDesigner trick called Button groups, which uses a Supercontrol to make all the options act like radio buttons. I.e. you can only select one at a time and choosing one turns the others off.

The layout uses 18 of these and combined with the huge StreamByter script that is parsing the sysex and forwarding it to the layout, it’s just acting buggy.

I’ll hit “Fetch Patch” and each time a random 3 or 4 of those radio buttons won’t light up, and they’re a different bunch each time. I’ve spent ages trying to debug what’s going on.

I think I’m getting closer. :)

I’m pretty tenacious & determined to get it working, so I’m persevering through my tears! :)

I’ve got it looking just the way I wanted, so I’m reluctant to revert back to using ‘pickers’ for everything (like on the wavetables) as too many of those just doesn’t look as nice.

• “I’ll hit “Fetch Patch” and each time a random 3 or 4 of those radio buttons won’t light up, and they’re a different bunch each time. I’ve spent ages trying to debug what’s going on.”

just an idea, but I wonder if the info on the patch state is coming in too fast, and it gets jumbled? Is it possible to try a wait command at points in your code in MidiFire?

Or, is it possible to use a midi monitor, rather than your midi designer template, to read your control values out of midifire, several times for the same patch, and compare, and see if they are getting corrupted in midifire, or if it is mididesigner that isn’t interpreting the data correctly?

With the radio button groups in mididesigner, i wonder if it is a problem with the reset (all buttons off) happening after the set (the desired button on).

• Yeah, the StreamByter code block is huge. Because the controls use NRPNs, which is basically the same 3 CC3#s (98, 99, 6) I'm having to add around 20ms delay after each message. Whole thing takes a couple of seconds to completely send to MidiDesigner.

There's so many different settings and options for each MidiDesigner feature, I'm trying to go through all those that are applicable to button-groups to see if I can find the sweet spot. Just taking a bunch of time and patience. :)

"With the radio button groups in mididesigner, i wonder if it is a problem with the reset (all buttons off) happening after the set (the desired button on)."

Is there a particular setting this relates to?

• edited February 2019

@Processaurus I finally got all the radio buttons working. Originally I had the buttons set for the same midi channel, cc number and values as the Supercontrol for them.

I swopped out the radio buttons midi for something more ‘neutral’. I set them to blank sysex buttons and blocked sysex being sent via StreamByter rules on the output. I didn’t want to assign them with any midi themselves, but they needed to be able to trigger the Supercontrol to send its value. Anyway, super-happy now! This layout was a huge slog, I nearly gave up, but well worth it by the end. I’ve wanted to do this one since 2017! :)