Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any App capable of recreating this MIDI setup? (MIDI processing/plugins)

Hey,

I'm trying to recreate a MIDI setup from my desktop system on iOS in which each successive incoming MIDI note is sent out to the next MIDI channel in a series.
(in the example here, each note gets sent to chs 1-8 on a repeating cycle)
I have tried several Apps without much success, so I was hoping someone here might know of a solution :)

Does Anyone know of an App capable of this or similar MIDI processing?
(TC Data? Jasuto? Audulus? etc etc)

incomplete list of fails so far : Soundprism with MIDI in. (admittedly a longshot)
Lemur. (lack of skills probably)
TB MIDI Stuff.
StepPolyArp (close but not quite)

Cheers.

Comments

• Are you trying to do a rolling poly aftertouch, or an 8 note chord on separate synths based on one incoming note? MidiBridge with do the latter, and I'm pretty sure one could do a MidiDesigner or TB MIDI Stuff patch for the former.

• Cheers for the suggestion, I will check out MIDI designer. (although I always thought that it was more biased towards MIDI control rather than realtime processing/MIDI effects?)

It might not be that clear from the picture, but in the MIDI monitor window it shows the MIDI channel output from a sequence of key presses received on the same MIDI In channel. That's what I'm trying to do within iOS basically.
    This allocates seperate channels for each note in a received MIDI chord (not sure what happens with hard quantised changes though!) and likewise a different channel per note in a monophonic sequence.
    There is lots of experimental/useful applications for this imo. :)

if anyone's interested you can get the (excellent) free Piz MIDI VST Plugins here: (Windows/Mac)

www.thepiz.org/pizmidi/
    http://code.google.com/p/pizmidi/

I would love some tools like this (and minihost modular to host them!) on my iPad.

• sounding more like you need something more programmable, in the classical sense, like csPad or ModMuPlat (build patches on PureData on your PC and dl them to the App)

• Not sure of one off hand but it seems like something @midiSequencer might actually be able to do.

Really hoping the creator of http://polymer-app.com ports it to iOS. Same concept but it's Mac only at the moment.

• dont think this will actually do what you want. But you still might find it interesting

http://sectionfourteen.com/page/spectre

• Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
    (It seems that iOS is slightly lacking a modular host with MIDI processing modules...)

@dwarman I'm not much of a programmer, so I think the 'roll your own' Puredata approach might be beyond me and possibly more difficult than trying to learn Lemur to achieve the same result?

@syrupcore I will investigate midisequencer to see if it can be bent to my will.

@BiancaNeve I'd never heard of 'Spectre Modular Midi Sequencer' and as you correctly stated It does interest me.

• MIDI Mind might be able to do this. Not well documented or supported though.

• In midiSequencer you can specify the out midi channel for each step.
    midiSequencer by anthony saunders
    https://appsto.re/us/W6U9U.i

• MIDI Mind looked promising but further research left me largely confused trying to decipher the functions, usability and possibilities. 'Not well documented' is a very accurate statement :)

I also tried 'midiSequencer lite' but one of its restrictions is that it appears to be fixed to a single output channel.
    However, I would need it to advance the sequence one step per MIDI note received (to the next MIDI ch.) and preferably be able to handle voice allocation per note for chords too. I'm not sure if this will work out. I will have to study the manual again.

I'm also further considering trying to build something in Lemur/ModMuPlat that's a bit more specific.
    The idea is honestly not that appealing though!

• @iamspoon said:
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
    (It seems that iOS is slightly lacking a modular host with MIDI processing modules...)

dwarman I'm not much of a programmer, so I think the 'roll your own' Puredata approach might be beyond me and possibly more difficult than trying to learn Lemur to achieve the same result?

syrupcore I will investigate midisequencer to see if it can be bent to my will.

BiancaNeve I'd never heard of 'Spectre Modular Midi Sequencer' and as you correctly stated It does interest me.

oh good, if you get it let me know how to use it.

• Studiomux is fit for transferring MIDI and OSC between your iOS devices and Mac and PC.

• @iamspoon ... However, I would need it to advance the sequence one step per MIDI note received (to the next MIDI ch.) and preferably be able to handle voice allocation per note for chords too. I'm not sure if this will work out. I will have to study the manual again.

How far did you get with it, curious. Did you note the midi rotator fx, afaik the transposed and harmony notes could be sent to other channels? Would it come near what @Enkerli recently was describing for chording/harmonizing aspirations?

With Quantum midisequencer 2.0 being in alpha, is there already a chance of access to the manual, @midiSequencer , please?

Greetings

• @iamspoon said:
    Hey,

I'm trying to recreate a MIDI setup from my desktop system on iOS in which each successive incoming MIDI note is sent out to the next MIDI channel in a series.

So, just to make sure, can you describe what happens with these notes? The midiMonitor does show each note in its own channel. But how does midiPolyphony work, exactly? Sounds like it does a bit more than just pass each note to a separate channel, especially since it allows for more than one note per channel.

At first blush, the kind of “rotating splitter” feature reminds me of an object in the Automatonism system for Pure Data. You give it a single input and it splits it into separate outputs, one after the other. Those could be separate channels but it could also be different processing in the same channel.

And what’s happening in these different channels? Are they just different instruments or are you also getting something else going, say transposition?

@ccs2 said:
    How far did you get with it, curious. Did you note the midi rotator fx, afaik the transposed and harmony notes could be sent to other channels? Would it come near what @Enkerli recently was describing for chording/harmonizing aspirations?

>
    Thanks for the ping, @ccs2!
    It does sound like the @iamspoon setup could help with the rotating chords effect but if by MIDI Rotator FX you mean the TingJing app, it might not really fit the bill for what @iamspoon is trying to achieve. For one thing, TingJing’s MIDI Rotator sends everything to a single MIDI channel. It does rotate through different intervals, but there isn’t much flexibility. Plus, in my tests, it tends to be rather “flaky” in that it loses connection to the app it uses for MIDI out, every few minutes. Fun while it works but rather limited and not that reliable. (Sounds like the developer now focuses on audio harmonization, which is more resource intensive but avoids any kind of MIDI problem.)

The Pure Data path is very interesting, but it does require quite a bit of work. One issue is in terms of keeping track of the note after you send it. Had to resort to some fairly convoluted stuff to make it work (on desktop; have yet to try it on iOS but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work). Relatively clunky.

Another route could be Chordflow (@ChordUp) and Fugue Machine (@Alexandernaut). Interestingly, both developers ran beta tests with forum members, recently. So maybe something could be tested?
    Otherwise, it sounds like yet another item in the ever-expanding wishlist for MIDIflow apps by @JohannesD. In some ways, this functionality is more likely to get to the top of the heap than mine, because it represents something more straightforward in terms of normal people’s workflows.

• edited June 2017

@Enkerli

It can take live midi input, if the midi fx is on the first step, and playing.

• @ccs2 said:
    @Enkerli

Oh? Where does this come from? Is it one of these DAWs everyone has?

• edited June 2017

@Enkerli said:

@ccs2 said:
    @Enkerli

Oh? Where does this come from? Is it one of these DAWs everyone has?

Oh, wait... Should have read more of the context. This is @midiSequencer?
    OIC!

• edited June 2017

Yes, that's the 1.0 version. The multidimensional extended version should come very soon :]

• @ccs2 said:
    Yes, that's the 1.0 version. The multidimensional extended version should come very soon :]

The most dreaded expression on this forum!
    Will wait for that release. Might be fun to play with this, especially if it can deal with MPE!

• yes very soon folks.... just adding recordable chords and a few tidy ups. This time you have interactive help on most controls and labels...

Quantum has all of midiSequencer midi fx (there are no IAPs for fx & chords). You can define a set of up to 8 midi fx per sequence (and there are 6 of those) or use a global one.

Of course each step can mute one or more of the 8 individual fxs. You can also play fx in realtime like as @ccs2 said recording through a step with fx on.

This midi rotator selects row 1..4 in sequence - so first time is row 1.
    Each row can specify up to two harmony notes (note & velocity) to accompany the main step.
    harmony notes can be assigned their own midi channel too..

only thing it doesn't do is respond to midi input note length (i.e. note off).

As Quantum is AB3 midi too, you might see some AB3 midi fx apps this year from me, focusing on mangling & transforming your midi data - so think more East than West coast...

• @midiSequencer thanks for chiming in, good news!
    In addition to AudioBus3 Quantum will have Link too, I heard ...

• edited June 2017

@ccs2 - yes AB Link - tempo, beat & phase
    Will also be universal iphone/ipad

• @midiSequencer

AB Link - tempo, beat & phase
    Will also be universal iphone/ipad

plus bm3 = my paradise

• edited October 2018

:'(
    Still patiently hoping for this kind of thing to appear for iOS.
    An Auv3/AB3 MIDI effect to do this kind of thing would be really great.
    Agreed? :#

@iamspoon said:
    Hey,

I have tried several Apps without much success, so I was hoping someone here might know of a solution :)

incomplete list of fails so far : Soundprism with MIDI in. (admittedly a longshot)
    TB MIDI Stuff.

Cheers.

• edited October 2018

Big Picture!

• edited October 2018

watch this space!
    What you describe is how Moog One differs from a monophonic Mini Moog, so I now have an AUv3 app to release

• edited October 2018

@iamspoon said:

Back from the dead... >:) :p

Still patiently hoping for this kind of thing to appear for iOS.
    An Auv3/AB3 MIDI effect to do this kind of thing would be really great.
    Agreed? :#

@iamspoon said:
    Hey,

TB MIDI Stuff.

Cheers.

:p https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28392/streambyter-script-distribute-polyphonic-midi-to-n-outgoing-mono-midi-channels/p1

• @midiSequencer Excellent, I will watch this space!

@DMan Thanks. That looks like impressive work and the roll your own idea did already pique my interest but I’d rather have something simpler to setup and also I don’t own a couple of the Apps involved.

• Sadly, super helpful midi-hero David (@dwarman) passed away recently. Kinda poignant to know that his posts on this forum may still be helping musicians conquer everything midi for now and the future.

• @SpookyZoo Respect, agreed.
    I wasn’t aware of that sad news when I bumped this old thread.