Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best ipad compatible audio usb interface with at least 6 outs is....?

And also not so expensive, please :)

Comments

• If you can live with the headphone out counting as 2: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iconnectaudio4plus/

• @rthr said:
    If you can live with the headphone out counting as 2: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iconnectaudio4plus/

but it has one headphone out. Isnt it?

• @MAtrixplan said:

@rthr said:
    If you can live with the headphone out counting as 2: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iconnectaudio4plus/

I think the headphone Left and Right channels are counting as the 2.

• @knewspeak said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@rthr said:

yeah, but I want for my Ipad to recognize at least 6 outs

• An interesting audio interface is the Motu UltraLite AVB: motu.com/products/avb/ultralite-avb which seems to me to be future proof.

• Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

• Big fan of MOTU here as well. http://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

You get what you pay for on these .. standalone mixer, 8 analog in, 6 out + spdif and adat optical .. If you ever run out of I/O , you can expand it with a used Motu 8pre for under $200, which will work standalone over ADAT optical.

I love the iPad mixing app for it, very simple to route audio wherever it's needed, apply built in Reverb/filters/eq , etc.
    Plus it's ready to integrate with eurorack with DC coupled outputs.

• edited October 2018

@supadom said:
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

+1 but also true that the Motu looks really good...

• The motu also acts as a stand alone mixer ...which is cool

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MAtrixplan said:

@knewspeak said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@rthr said:

yeah, but I want for my Ipad to recognize at least 6 outs

I think you don't understand what @rthr meant. You can actually make the headphone jack show up as output 5+6. So it's 1,2,3,4 on the mono outs and 5 and 6 on the headphone out. Just use a stereo to mono splitter. You can set aum to send audio out to just channel 5 or 6. So it really Is a 6 out.

• edited October 2018

The headphone out 5+6 is also treated as an independant pair by the iConnectivity software, not as a duplicate of the main out (as in most interfaces).

• There are cheaper alternatives by the way, like the interfaces by Tascam and Zoom for example. Both well made and well functioning.

• Motu has also that little audio interface, the Microbook Iic which has 6 outputs: motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook

Small but beautiful? And not that expensive.

• @Telefunky said:
    The headphone out 5+6 is also treated as an independant pair by the iConnectivity software, not as a duplicate of the main out (as in most interfaces).

It's great! Anyone uses it with Win10? I heard about some issues...

• edited October 2018

@MAtrixplan said:

@Telefunky said:

I have the iConnectAUDIO4+ for a few days now, I use Windows 10, no issues! It is a great interface! It indeed has 6 seperate configurable outputs. In the picture you see that (the routing lines you can configure yourself; I’ve drawn a red circle in the matrix, to specify the outputs). Don’t know if its relevant for you, but I note that the fysical outputs are : 4 mono jacks and 1 stereo jack (for headphone purpose).

• @MAtrixplan said:

If you're looking at a PC / Mac + iPad interface there really is no alternative as you can connect both at the same time and do crazy routing.

• @MAtrixplan said:

@Telefunky said:

I've been using it with windows for years with no probs.

• Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB 2.0 audio interface?

• @bsantoro said:
    Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB 2.0 audio interface?

The specs doesn’t say it is ios/ipad compatible.

• @Marcel said:

@bsantoro said:

I have the U-PHORIA UMC404, and some in this forum have been successful in getting 4 discreet channels with an iPad. So, maybe, the 1820 would work the same way. Search this forum for UMC404. I think it cannot be just bus powered to work. It probably needs a powered USB adapter, or maybe a powered hub?

• edited October 2018

@Marcel said:

@bsantoro said:

I have a umc1820 and it is iPad compatible but it is a bit ghetto. Sometimes you have to switch the thing on and off to make it work. For the price I ain’t complaining. You get what you pay for. It needs its own power supply also.

• Prices on any of these things.......?

• @ZenKier said:
    Big fan of MOTU here as well. http://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

You get what you pay for on these .. standalone mixer, 8 analog in, 6 out + spdif and adat optical .. If you ever run out of I/O , you can expand it with a used Motu 8pre for under $200, which will work standalone over ADAT optical.

I love the iPad mixing app for it, very simple to route audio wherever it's needed, apply built in Reverb/filters/eq , etc.
    Plus it's ready to integrate with eurorack with DC coupled outputs.

Wow. That's a really nice looking piece of gear. No, not cheap but yeah, that's a nice piece!

• @MrSmileZ said:
    The motu also acts as a stand alone mixer ...which is cool

Certainly not in the same league but the iConnectAudio4 can also work as a stand alone mixer.

• I got one of those...my only complaint about the iconnectaudio4+ is the mic pre’s are really generic sounding
    I’m not sure I like the sound of em.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I got one of those...my only complaint about the iconnectaudio4+ is the mic pre’s are really generic sounding
    I’m not sure I like the sound of em.

maybe you have too high gain ;)
    anyone else struggles with the same problem with iconnectaudio?

• edited October 2018

All interface preamps 'sound' pretty generic, in particular appraised ones by RME and UAD. Apogee, Antelope, Audient and Metric Halo may be perceived slightly ahead.
    But it's not night and day - the influence of individual mic adressing and room have more influence.

I find the gain staging of the iCA4+ a bit inconvenient, but one can get along with it.
    Comparison isn't easy for you have to consider the full AD/DA chain of the interface.
    A micpre will sound better if the monitoring section is better, too - as is the case with an iCA4+ versus an Audient ID22. But both don't get into the range of a vintage German or British preamp - if you're after character.

On the other hand those overly 'clean' preamps have an advantage with extensive sound processing, which will (!) blur/alter the original input signficantly.
    In relation to investment the effective difference may be subtle, unless your vocal/instrument track is very dry.

The iCA4+ delivers adequate performance for it's price and is the most versatile interface in it's class, working standalone and with 2 devices simultanously.

The only flaw I found is that it doesn't seem to be 100% phase coherent if used as an insert device. Which means sending through analog outputs to an external processor and receive the signal via analog inputs.
    With proper latency adjustment the signal should phase out significantly (not totally because analog is never identical) if the source is inverted - with the external device set to bypass fx processing (it's a temporary measuring setup).
    Not shure if it's a converter attribute or related to clock handling in the complex double host environment.
    Whatever it is: it's a minor issue that's only relevant with very critical parallel chains.
    In 90% of cases one doesnt even notice - and it doesn't spoil the party anyway.
    (keep in mind that phase accuracy is a feature only rarely mentioned in interface specs, if at all)
    Not to forget that people pay heavey prices for plugins doing just that ;)

• edited October 2018

@Telefunky said:
    All interface preamps 'sound' pretty generic, in particular appraised ones by RME and UAD. Apogee, Antelope, Audient and Metric Halo may be perceived slightly ahead.
    But it's not night and day - the influence of individual mic adressing and room have more influence.

I find the gain staging of the iCA4+ a bit inconvenient, but one can get along with it.
    Comparison isn't easy for you have to consider the full AD/DA chain of the interface.
    A micpre will sound better if the monitoring section is better, too - as is the case with an iCA4+ versus an Audient ID22. But both don't get into the range of a vintage German or British preamp - if you're after character.

On the other hand those overly 'clean' preamps have an advantage with extensive sound processing, which will (!) blur/alter the original input signficantly.
    In relation to investment the effective difference may be subtle, unless your vocal/instrument track is very dry.

The iCA4+ delivers adequate performance for it's price and is the most versatile interface in it's class, working standalone and with 2 devices simultanously.

The only flaw I found is that it doesn't seem to be 100% phase coherent if used as an insert device. Which means sending through analog outputs to an external processor and receive the signal via analog inputs.
    With proper latency adjustment the signal should phase out significantly (not totally because analog is never identical) if the source is inverted - with the external device set to bypass fx processing (it's a temporary measuring setup).
    Not shure if it's a converter attribute or related to clock handling in the complex double host environment.
    Whatever it is: it's a minor issue that's only relevant with very critical parallel chains.
    In 90% of cases one doesnt even notice - and it doesn't spoil the party anyway.
    (keep in mind that phase accuracy is a feature only rarely mentioned in interface specs, if at all)
    Not to forget that people pay heavey prices for plugins doing just that ;)

Did you mention your findings to iConnectivity? Would be good for them to improve phase coherence in future devices.