Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

October 2018 Sound Design Fest - Ripplemaker

This month synth for the Audiobus Sound Design Fest is Ripplemaker from Bram Bos. This is the thread for discussion, swapping tips and collecting all the patches together that will be distributed as a combined Audiobus Forum preset bank.

In order to simplify the use of the resulting preset bank, I suggest that the following naming convention be used:

• Names start with a prefix describing their category (ARP, BASS, FX, GEN, KEY, LEAD, PAD, PERC... types will be clarified/discussed later)
  • Followed by the patchname itself
  • If you want, add an short personal identifier (like -ki or rsl) at the end

Ripplemaker can only export whole user presetbanks as a zip file, not single patches. This makes sharing only some of these presets a little more complicated

• Another app is needed that can unpack zips and pack folders - for instance Documents by Readle, Fileapp or Audioshare.
  • The goal is to upack the exported zip into a folder and repack only the presets that you want to share into a new zip, which then can be uploaded to the forum.
  • I will descibe the steps for these three apps in another posting to this thread

Have fun designing new and crazy sounds with this „West Coast Flavored Modular Synth“

Comments

• https://www.dropbox.com/s/103v3yexbgv9gtp/ripplemaker_AUv3_presets.zip?dl=0

Here’s mine again. I’ve no idea what to name these category wise lol

• Resouces

Attached you find an image describing how to export presets from Ripplemaker standalone

• Exporting selected presets using Documents

• In Ripplemaker standalone, press export and then „AU Presets ZIP“. In the opening sharing destination popup, select „to files“ and navigate to Documents and press Add
    • In Documents, press the exported „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets.zip“ to unzip its content into a „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets“ folder.
    • Enter that folder, press the select tool (in the top right) and select all the presets you want to export. Then press the Compress button in the left pane to create an Archive.zip in the same folder.
    • Close the select tool, and rename the Archive.zip to AB_Forum.zip and move this zip to the parent folder and then you are free to delete the „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets“ folder
    • You can then upload the AB_Forum.zip
  • Exporting selected presets using FileApp

• In Ripplemaker standalone, press export and then „AU Presets ZIP“. In the opening sharing destination popup, select „to files“ and navigate to My Ipad/FileApp and press Add
    • In FileApp, press the exported „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets.zip“ to unzip its content into a „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets“ folder.
    • Enter that folder, press the select tool (first icon in the top right) and select all the presets you want to export. Then press the ZIP icon in the bottom right, choose to name the new zip AB_Forum or whatever you prefer.
    • This produces a new file AB_Forum.zip containing the selected presets only that you can upload.
    • Move this file to the parent folder and then you are free to delete the „Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets“ folder
  • Since Audioshare does not unpacks the zip into a subfolder and also does not offer a „pack selected files“ feature, some more steps are needed when using Audioshare

Exporting selected presets using AudioShare

• First create a new „temp“ folder in Audioshare
    • In Ripplemaker standalone, press export and then „AU Presets ZIP“. In the opening sharing destination popup, select „to files“ and navigate to the newly created folder and select „add“
    • In Audioshare, navigate to this folder and select the Ripplemaker_AUv3_presets.zip to uncompres into the current folder.
    • Use the select tool to select all the presets you want to share and then press the green move files button in the bottom. In the destionation popup, press the create folder icon in the lower right, choose „AB_Forum“ as new folder name and move the presets.
    • The new folder „AB_Forum“ appeared at the top. Long-press the folder to get a popup offering the „Make Zip Archive“ option. This generates the AB_Forum.zip also in the „temp“ folder.
    • Move this AB_Forum.zip to the parent folder
    • You can upload the AB_Forum_presets.zip and you are free to delete the temp folder.
  • _ki_ki
    edited September 2018

Notes on re-importing presets from zips

• Ripplemaker only imports zips that end in _presets as in xyz_presets.zip
    • Zips generated with Documents and FileApp contain their files in the root folder of the zip - they will impot into the user folder of Ripplemaker
    • Zips generated with Audioshare contain their files inside a subfolder, so they will unpack into a new category with the name of the subfolder.

During the october soundfest, i will update the collected presets in an „AB Forum“ subfolder and upload several versions of the preset bank, so that you don’t have to deal with the individual contributions in „various subfolder/or not“ combinations.

• @Fruitbat1919 Thanks for the presets - i‘ll try to fit them into the to-be-discussed categories and can start with the first version of preset bank.

• _ki_ki
    edited October 2018

Idea and proposal for

Patch Categories

• ARP : patch works well when used with arpeggiated short notes.

• Notes play (mostly ?) in correct pitch, but may continue without keypress
      • or patch has only short sounds and is not sustained to be played as keys
    • BASS : patch sounds best in the note-range below C3, does not need to be of a bassy type, notes have correct tuning

• BENT : Notes play (mostly) the correct pitch, but there are glitches
    • FX : patch does not have a destinct pitch
    • GEN : patch produces continuous generative sound, even without note input
    • KEYS : patch sounds good in the whole note range, notes have correct tuning
    • LEAD : patch sounds best in the note-range above C2, notes have correct tuning
    • PERC : patch should be used as percussion or drum
    • PLAY : patch is designed to be automated or played live by tweaking knobs. Add the prefered play knobs in parentheses to the name - ie "PLAY Theremin (OSC freq) - KE"
    • SUST : patch plays sustained note even without note input (used for drones)

Naming

If possible follow the name scheme

<CATEGORY>  <preset name>  -  <editor shorthand>

like in the examples:

• ARP Grumbling Duo - AG
    • BASS 8bit crunch - KE
    • BENT FlickerBicker - FB
    • GEN Alien Talking -ki
    • PLAY Laser (SLOPE decay) - KE

No problem if you didn't use this preset naming scheme, but i'll then categorize and rename your presets when i receive them.

• Awesome. Thanks for working on this and providing the helpful info @_ki Looking forward to hearing the submissions.

• @brice said:
    Awesome. Thanks for working on this and providing the helpful info @_ki Looking forward to hearing the submissions.

+1.

• @syrupcore said:

@brice said:
    Awesome. Thanks for working on this and providing the helpful info @_ki Looking forward to hearing the submissions.

+1.

+2
    And this will make me wanna squeeze more juice out of it.
    Gotta admit i've been lazy patching things :smiley:

• @senhorlampada said:

@syrupcore said:

@brice said:

+1.

+2
    And this will make me wanna squeeze more juice out of it.
    Gotta admit i've been lazy patching things :smiley:

I'm just the opposite. As soon as I open it I know I'm going to get lost for an hour. I keep messing with stuff and often mess up whatever I had going on and don't know how to get back to it! Maybe this will get me to save more often. :)

• I listened through Fruitbats preset and propose new categories PLAY and BENT, which i added to my posting above :)

• How’s your sounds coming on guys and gals.....I’m so looking forward to this one :)

• Hmm, i hope hope that at least one more is quietly tinkering with presets - i've also built some new sounds for Ripplemaker, but it would be nice to have more weird soundscapes, FX and percussion and new inspirations.

So, if you're working on something, please bring it in even if its just a single preset that your contribute :)

• Well I’m kinda disappointed if not many contribute after the amount of people that have voted highly for this synth month after month and the disappointment when it didn’t win. I suppose it may be that it was people wanting sounds and not the peeps that make sounds :(

Could be that there are lots beavering away out there :D

• I’m playing it cool - well actually I forgot. Will Zip mine up over the next few days.

• @ageezz said:
    I’m playing it cool - well actually I forgot. Will Zip mine up over the next few days.

Like it lol. Hope lots more - ‘playing it cool’

Come on guys and gals, where’s that enthusiasm that we had early on for these Sound Fests? :)

• I have about 52 patches that I’ll export and upload asap. Do we just drop the Dropbox link in this thread?

• _ki_ki
    edited October 2018

Using the files app, you can drop the zip into a posting.

• In an new answer (or when using „edit“ of a posting), use task switching to bring up the files app, navigate to the zip‘s folder
    • Grab the zip and double tap the home button for task switching (still holding the file)
    • Move the file above the Safari app, it will flash two times and reopen the current tab with the editor
    • Drop the file into the editors text area - it shows „drop image/file“ while doing so (see attached image)

When using „browse file“ in that dialog, the zips are only shown in gray and are not selectable on my side.

Dropbox links are also working :)

• Haven't you heard of supply and demand?

If there is much demand and limited supply then hoik the price up!

• I’m working on ‘em!

• Some weird sounds (a lot of birds and crickets), enjoy!

• Here’s my 32pence worth.

• I can add the collected patches to a factory bank in the app if that’s ok?

• @brambos said:
    I can add the collected patches to a factory bank in the app if that’s ok?

Great idea :)

• @brambos Cool idea, that would reach all Ripplemaker owners and just the ones reading this thread.

• Now that we have quite a range of presets, I worked a bit on the categorization and naming - please see the posting above

• Yeah it’s really going well. I think this could give buyers of the app a really solid choice of different sounds :)

• Hope Im not too late to the party ...
    Here are around 15 of the best I can do.
    Ive done the naming admin.
    Thanks _ki for doing the major admin work