Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiroute audio in Audiobus — is this possible?

Could I use multiroute audio in Audiobus to send, say, Moog Model 15 out the iPad’s headphone jack, and onto a mixer to use external effects pedals? Then, I would route effected signal back into the same iPad via the mixer’s USB and record it.

I can’t think why this wouldn’t work. Effectively I’d be turning the Model 15 into an external audio source, right?

Comments

• It's possible in AB3 to use headphone jack and a usb audio interface but I haven't test it, yet!

• Gotta try this kind of multiplexing
    I think it depends on the apps involved in the inputs or outputs

• I shall test it myself, and report back. It seems that the only danger with this kind of thing would be feedback, but as the output is direct from a synth, then there’s no feedback route there.

• Can't test it right now, but i'll do it later :smile:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Can't test it right now, but i'll do it later :smile:

👍

• It’s possible!

• Picture doesn’t show it well, but I just routed model d out of the headphone jack into a usb audio device and the routed that out of the interface out, which works fine

• @ImortalTrashcan said:

It’s possible!

Excellent!

• Wow, does that really work? Are you talking using the built in audio interface and an external interface at the same time? I thought composite interface was not supported on IOS!

Most likely I just completely misunderstood what you guys are up to :#

• It works! I finally got around to testing it.

Bonus tip: if you have multiroute enabled in Audiobus, then it is also available in AUM:

In this example I have Moog Model D routed out of the headphone jack, and into my mixer/interface. Then it’s running through the hardware FX loop on the mixer, and back out over USB into AUM.

I’ve down similar using convoluted USB routing, which also works. But this way is immune to feedback.

I did a ten-minute AB of audio quality. The headphone is close enough to the USB quality for me. I had to jack up the mixer’s input gain on the headphone jack input, but as it’s a nice clean source, there’s no noise.

Also, Model D sounds insane through an H9.

• I was able to multitrack Roli Noise (SWAM strings) in Cubasis by running it standalone out to my Behringer interface with a loopback sending it straight back into the lightning port. AB3 picked it up there and fed it to Cubasis for recording. I had another AB channel with Cubasis in the input slot that fed the backing mix to just the headphones for monitoring while playing. This is possible with any apps that produce audio, no feedback, no recording the headphone out, no discernable loss of quality.

• If u have the AudioHub 2x4 and the Behringer Line2USB Cable you don’t even need the headphone jack. (With AB3-Multiroute and the CCK)

• I noticed that the volume from the headphones is very low when enabling multiroute.
    Does anyone else have the issue ? (Air2 iOS ,12 usb ,behringer uca 200]

• @Aud_iOS said:
    If u have the AudioHub 2x4 and the Behringer Line2USB Cable you don’t even need the headphone jack. (With AB3-Multiroute and the CCK)

Interesting. I’m curious about your setup. Could you explain in a little bit more detail how you connect it (what goes where)?

• edited October 2018

@frejahel said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    If u have the AudioHub 2x4 and the Behringer Line2USB Cable you don’t even need the headphone jack. (With AB3-Multiroute and the CCK)

Interesting. I’m curious about your setup. Could you explain in a little bit more detail how you connect it (what goes where)?

@frejahel Sure - Here are a few examples I put together. I think you’ll be able to adapt to your hardware etc: https://aud-ios.com/2018/10/03/multiroute-ios-audio-with-audiobus-novations-circuit-audiohub-2x4/.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    I was able to multitrack Roli Noise (SWAM strings) in Cubasis by running it standalone out to my Behringer interface with a loopback sending it straight back into the lightning port. AB3 picked it up there and fed it to Cubasis for recording. I had another AB channel with Cubasis in the input slot that fed the backing mix to just the headphones for monitoring while playing. This is possible with any apps that produce audio, no feedback, no recording the headphone out, no discernable loss of quality.

That’s super cool, but I don’t have a good way to send multiple tracks back to the mixer from the iPad. Although your headphone monitor trick has given me an idea...

• This was possible, even without AB, since ipad 2. Whatever you LAST plugged in, was active. Thus, when an ONLY OUPUT DEVICE was plugged in after f.e. The headphoneplugs, you would get the mixed output through (the then 30pin connector), while having input through the headphones-mic. Used this live for quite a while. Nowadays the behaviour has changed, but its possible with AB. It‘s not an aggregated device, but only one interface, plus the 3.5mm TRRS plug.

• So , am I the only one that the volume from headphones drops to half when enabling multiroute ????

• @supadom said:
    Wow, does that really work? Are you talking using the built in audio interface and an external interface at the same time? I thought composite interface was not supported on IOS!

Most likely I just completely misunderstood what you guys are up to :#

Ditto

Your post is first that made me think what actually are they saying....

• That’s what we’re saying. You can use both.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@frejahel said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@frejahel Sure - Here are a few examples I put together. I think you’ll be able to adapt to your hardware etc: https://aud-ios.com/2018/10/03/multiroute-ios-audio-with-audiobus-novations-circuit-audiohub-2x4/.

This is very cool! The Line2USB is possibly the cheapest, most portable audio interface for IOS (with CCK).

Would it be possible to use more than one Line2USB with the AudioHub 2 x 4 and AB3-Multiroute?

Cheers

• @Aud_iOS said:

@frejahel said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Thanks! This is very useful information.

• Would it be possible to use more than one Line2USB with the AudioHub 2 x 4 and AB3-Multiroute?

Cheers

@frejahel good idea - I do have 2 - will try and test today

• @Aud_iOS said:

Would it be possible to use more than one Line2USB with the AudioHub 2 x 4 and AB3-Multiroute?

Cheers

@frejahel good idea - I do have 2 - will try and test today

Hello sir. Any chance you’ve been able to test your USB method with 2 Line2USB’s into the Audiohub 2x4? I was also wondering if it’s possible to split the mono inputs going in to AB3 for two external synths per cable? Many thanks in advance

• @Aud_iOS said:

Hello @Aud_iOS

Are you "really" sure of what you're saying? I checked your website, and for the life of me I just can't figure out how your setup could work (or maybe I misunderstood what you wanted to do)

So, with the Novation audiohub connected to the Ipad via cck , we have 2audio inputs from the Novation audiohub, and what you'd like to do is having two more audio inputs with your Behringer Line2USB. Am I right?

Would you please clarify what I read on your website / setup description:
    1) How an 'usb audio interface' such as the Behringer Line2USB can be plugged into the usb host port of the Novation audiohub, while it should be only for usb-midi controllers? I mean, some 'audio info' is actually transmitted?

2) How come there is only two audio inputs displayed within Audiobus? Shouldn't it be 4 (2 for the Novation built-in line ins, and 2 for the Behringer)

Thanks for your explaination, if what you're saying is real then I find it groundbreaking!

• @ttk said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Hello @Aud_iOS

Are you "really" sure of what you're saying? I checked your website, and for the life of me I just can't figure out how your setup could work (or maybe I misunderstood what you wanted to do)

So, with the Novation audiohub connected to the Ipad via cck , we have 2audio inputs from the Novation audiohub, and what you'd like to do is having two more audio inputs with your Behringer Line2USB. Am I right?

Would you please clarify what I read on your website / setup description:
    1) How an 'usb audio interface' such as the Behringer Line2USB can be plugged into the usb host port of the Novation audiohub, while it should be only for usb-midi controllers? I mean, some 'audio info' is actually transmitted?

2) How come there is only two audio inputs displayed within Audiobus? Shouldn't it be 4 (2 for the Novation built-in line ins, and 2 for the Behringer)

Thanks for your explaination, if what you're saying is real then I find it groundbreaking!

@ttk - recreated setup today. Here's image:

Circuit - Line2USB plugged out to USB port 1 on the AudioHub 2x4 - yes this passes Audio.
    Circuit - USB Host cable out to USB port 3 on the AudioHub 2x4 - MIDI etc.
    AudioHub 2x4 - Host Port plugged out to CCK3 - Hosted by iPad
    AudioHub 2x4 - Outputs 1/2 plugged out via another Behringer Line2USB to my Apanage USB Hub - which is Hosted by my Mac.

In the Mac I've just got HostingAU open - set the Track 3 input to USB PNP (which is the Line2USB) - and in this case I'm outputting audio via USB to the BehringerUSB50's - which have a built-in USB Host Port.

With this setup you can play any app Audio from AudioBus and the Circuit and iTunes - at the same time. I've still got the RCA Inputs available on the AudioHub, Headphone Monitoring - and 2 more RCA stereo Outs on the AudioHub. LMK whatever Q's - I can maybe test out.

• edited May 2019

USB ports (and therefore hubs) just pass packets of encoded data. They have no clue what that data represents, so it can be midi, audio, in fact anything an app encodes and presents to the USB i/o buffer.

• Thanks for the detailed answer @Aud_iOS !

@Aud_iOS said:
    Circuit - Line2USB plugged out to USB port 1 on the AudioHub 2x4 - yes this passes Audio.

This is nice, really nice. It's like you're having an agregated device, but hardware!

Unfortunately, it's not like we could "add up" two extras inputs from the Behringer Line2USB, am I right?
    In fact, the any audio signal from an audio interface plugged into the USB hst port of the Novation audioHub would be mixed into the own stereo inputs of the latter.