Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Virtial Guitar App?

Hello.

I am a bass player and, as such, am not very good when it comes to playing actual guitar.

I was wondering what you guys thought were the best virtual guitar apps on the market at the moment? I’m looking for a guitar app that I can write riffs with and that sounds and acts like a real guitar.

At the moment I have ifretlessguitar and guitarism. Both are good apps in their own right and mix ok with effect apps like Tonebridge to get the sounds I’m looking for. But I’m thinking, there must be better out there!

Any opinions or input would be great. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• StepPolyArp non AUV has a very nice guitar instrument that has a good clean guitar sound. It can make you sound like Johnny Marr.

• Maybe you could try jam maestro.

• @ALB said:
    StepPolyArp non AUV has a very nice guitar instrument that has a good clean guitar sound. It can make you sound like Johnny Marr.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

• @Samu said:
    GeoShred might be worth a look?
    http://www.wizdommusic.com/products/geoshred.html

I’ve see Geoshred advertised and it looks good but is pretty expensive as well. Especially if you want to use it with other apps.

• @flo26 said:
    Maybe you could try jam maestro

Cheers. I’ll have a look

• edited October 2018

I wish Blocs Waves would do dedicated instruments packs (well, there are a few) for Guitars, Horns etc..
    Or even classics like Steinberg’s Virtual Guitarist 2.

Dham, I miss my VG2.. wish it was iOS..

• @RajahP said:
    I wish Blocs Waves would do dedicated instruments packs (well, there are a few) for Guitars, Horns etc..

I have the new VG, and I love it.

• @FesteringMike said:

@ALB said:
    StepPolyArp non AUV has a very nice guitar instrument that has a good clean guitar sound. It can make you sound like Johnny Marr.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

And it’s great for making riffs for anything- not just guitar.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@RajahP said:

I have the new VG, and I love it.

What new VG?

• I’d say Guitarism for strumming and picking and Geoshred for leads, riffs, etc.

• @PhilW said:
    I’d say Guitarism for strumming and picking and Geoshred for leads, riffs, etc.

Guitarism is very good but I’m a metal man so need something with fast reactions.

• edited October 2018

I think there is a gap in the market for a great Virtual Guitar app, strange as the early iOS apps there were a lot on iPhone. Now only a handful. Would love to see a well put together Classical one.

• Lots of good GeoShredd video on YT.

• @FesteringMike said:

@PhilW said:

Guitarism is very good but I’m a metal man so need something with fast reactions.

Well think about how much a new set of strings costs and compare that to GeoShred. I also hemmed and hawwed on the price but eventually bit the bullet and purchased it at full price. It was worth every penny and it helps that they are involved developers that seem to stay on top of all the new IOS developments.

• @fprintf said:

@FesteringMike said:

@PhilW said:

Well think about how much a new set of strings costs and compare that to GeoShred. I also hemmed and hawwed on the price but eventually bit the bullet and purchased it at full price. It was worth every penny and it helps that they are involved developers that seem to stay on top of all the new IOS developments.

Yeah. I might just bite the bullet on that one too. Does Geoshred work well enough on an iPhone 7 though?

• Ok.. tried the demo when it just came out.. many agreed it was nothing like Steinberg’s..
    Will check it out later.. maybe they improved on it..

• edited October 2018

@FesteringMike said:

Yeah. I might just bite the bullet on that one too. Does Geoshred work well enough on an iPhone 7 though?

I occasionally run it on an iPhone SE and I think it works great, so the larger iPhone 7 screen size should be fine. You can also adjust the number of "strings" and "frets" showing to make things a bit easier.

Now while double stops, harmonics and massive string bends are a hallmark of this app it certainly doesn't replace a talented guitarist nor does it make learning the actual guitar any easier at all. In fact I've found I can do ridiculous unplayable things on the app, like most apps really, that don't translate into what a real musician would do. For example playing notes two octaves apart on adjacent strings is just rather unlikely even with hammer ons, why bother? Also there isn't much in the way of chords. For that there are the other guitar simulators like Guitarism and Guitar Capo+.

BTW, after GeoShred my favorite guitar simulator is Steel Guitar by Yonac. For a metal player it might sound a little funny but it has to be the most fun standalone instrument I have, and I don't even like country music. It is just hella fun making music that sounds like a Sergio Leone soundtrack for a Clint Eastwood film.

• edited October 2018

@FesteringMike said:

@PhilW said:

Metal will be tough to do with a virtual app. Bluepunk does, or did all his punk songs with Guitarism. They always sounded sweet.

There's no way to do a good palm mute with an app. Metal from the 80's all the way through to the stuff they call metal now uses it, so, there's that.

• VG2 is a legend!!