Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatStep Pro: Firmware / iOS / Compatibility

BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Can you plug in and play with iOS device?

Is there particular firmware for using it with iPad?

Are the features the same using BeatStep Pro with iPad as say with hardware or Ableton?

Thanks

Comments

• I’ve had no problem runnning BSP through a powered hub. Running latest firmware. Great little sequencer.....more powerful than it has a right to be for the money.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Are the features the same using BeatStep Pro with iPad as say with hardware or Ableton?

Thanks

i find it pretty simple. quick and easy. fantastic controller for the money.

• edited October 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

Just update to the latest firmware. And yes. It's features are the same everywhere. You will need a laptop/PC to change some of it's features though. It has an app to change certain behaviours. Like making the drum mode send each pad to a different channel to control a volca sample. You will need a cck3 connected to either a power supply or a battery bank. It will not run completely off the iPads power.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

Just update to the latest firmware. And yes. It's features are the same everywhere. You will need a laptop/PC to change some of it's features though. It has an app to change certain behaviours. Like making the drum mode send each pad to a different channel to control a volca sample. You will need a cck3 connected to either a power supply or a battery bank. It will not run completely off the iPads power.

What are the encoders like on the Pro, I remember on the BeatStep they were very slow (even after the firmware update to fix it) .

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

What are the encoders like on the Pro, I remember on the BeatStep they were very slow (even after the firmware update to fix it) .

Really?

• @99476598326 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

You recommend then?

I am thinking get it now use it for iOS and Ableton and decide on what synth or hardware I grab for the holidays and at least I have this ready.

Maybe the Behringer module thing.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@99476598326 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

You recommend then?

I am thinking get it now use it for iOS and Ableton and decide on what synth or hardware I grab for the holidays and at least I have this ready.

To be fair I do not use it as a controller at all. I've only used it as a step sequencer. And it's fantastic in that scenario. Not sure how useful it is in controller mode since I have never used it in that fashion.

• Works perfectly with iOS. Great controller too. Not sure about the encoder speed issue as there are 3-4 different speed settings you can apply to them. As with any generic encoder, I reckon each speed is good for some applications and annoying for others.

Note that you can save 16 different controller presets on the device and it’s absolutely trivial to change the MIDI channel in real time. So if you have two apps open that are listening on different channels, one preset can cover both. For instance.

Sequencer is fantastic, fast and fun. Each drum part can have its own length. Don’t know if you care about such things but fwiw, though they bill it is “polyrhythmic” in reality it’s “polymetric”.

The biggest bummer about the BSP is that there is only ONE drum map for the entire device. You can change every other thing per preset or sequence or pattern but the entire device can only hold one drum map at a time. Practically speaking, that means you can not have one preset with a Ruismaker mapping and another with Patterning mapping (unless you make those two align via software). If you live in a world where every target has MIDI Learn, no sweat. Otherwise, depending on what you want to do, it can be a bummer.

Have had it since launch and, honestly, at this point that is my only “complaint”. Stupid deal for the money imo.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

Really?

Yup, that was the main reason I sold mine.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@99476598326 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    BEATSTEP PRO

Question.

Thanks

You recommend then?

To be fair I do not use it as a controller at all. I've only used it as a step sequencer. And it's fantastic in that scenario. Not sure how useful it is in controller mode since I have never used it in that fashion.

I would only use as a sequencer.

More for second iOS device or Ableton to push percussive stuff and fx until I get another new hardware piece for Xmas if I get it.

I am stuck do I get BeatStep Pro or DrumBrute impact for the ole Bday coming in 2 weeks?

• @syrupcore said:
    Works perfectly with iOS. Great controller too. Not sure about the encoder speed issue as there are 3-4 different speed settings you can apply to them. As with any generic encoder, I reckon each speed is good for some applications and annoying for others.

Note that you can save 16 different controller presets on the device and it’s absolutely trivial to change the MIDI channel in real time. So if you have two apps open that are listening on different channels, one preset can cover both. For instance.

Sequencer is fantastic, fast and fun. Each drum part can have its own length. Don’t know if you care about such things but fwiw, though they bill it is “polyrhythmic” in reality it’s “polymetric”.

The biggest bummer about the BSP is that there is only ONE drum map for the entire device. You can change every other thing per preset or sequence or pattern but the entire device can only hold one drum map at a time. Practically speaking, that means you can not have one preset with a Ruismaker mapping and another with Patterning mapping (unless you make those two align via software). If you live in a world where every target has MIDI Learn, no sweat. Otherwise, depending on what you want to do, it can be a bummer.

Have had it since launch and, honestly, at this point that is my only “complaint”. Stupid deal for the money imo.

OK

Answer this for me(please)

I am stuck do I get BeatStep Pro or DrumBrute impact for the ole Bday coming in 2 weeks?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@syrupcore said:
    Works perfectly with iOS. Great controller too. Not sure about the encoder speed issue as there are 3-4 different speed settings you can apply to them. As with any generic encoder, I reckon each speed is good for some applications and annoying for others.

OK

Answer this for me(please)

If it is a drum/percussion sequencer that you want then Drumbrute Impact...it has MIDI out so can sequence other stuff, but you also have the on board sounds too.

BeatStep Pro doesn't have sounds..BUT can also sequence a couple of synths so maybe a little more flexible in the longer term, once you've decided you wanted a Drumbrute Impact afterall and need to use the BSP for something else :D

• edited October 2018

BSP was a bit of a let down for me. Not saying its bad for the price, but its very crippled in many ways and for example it cant be used with bm3 properly because you cant adjust transport settings properly on BSP. Its full of stupid decisions, but for some uses they wont be a deal breaker, but on paper(and even youtube videos) it looks a lot better than it really is. Touch an encoder seems like a cool idea, but its buggy as fuck and rarely shows real values, but keeps on jumping around when you touch it.
    Encoders on it are clicky long travel(not too many clicks per revolution) type. I dont like them at all.

If i had Something else for controlling to eurorack, i would get rid of BSP in a second

• omho Drum Brut Impact is really cool and would give much joy instantly !
    Nice sound, fun to play, really cool companion to let's say Modstep, or mutliple StepPolyArp as AUv3 running synths on the iPad, or other gears...
    I didn't like that much, the encoders of BSP either.

• @crony said:
    omho Drum Brut Impact is really cool and would give much joy instantly !
    Nice sound, fun to play, really cool companion to let's say Modstep, or mutliple StepPolyArp as AUv3 running synths on the iPad, or other gears...
    I didn't like that much, the encoders of BSP either.

i love endless encoders

• @99476598326 so for good endless encoders I’d go for a midi fighter twister or a behringer bcr-2000

• @crony said:
    @99476598326 so for good endless encoders I’d go for a midi fighter twister or a behringer bcr-2000

+1 for behringer bcr2000