Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Hell has frozen: Moog goes POLYPHONIC

Comments

• edited October 2018

@BroCoast said:
    Hearing the demo stuff for this was actually a bit of a relief for me, my poly patches in Model D/Model 15/Animoog sound almost as good.

Did you catch this thread on making a poly out of mono synths with StreamByter/MIDIFire?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28392/streambyter-script-distribute-polyphonic-midi-to-n-outgoing-mono-midi-channels/p1

I took Model D and made it 8 voice polyphony with it!! Would work for Model 15 and would even work with Animoog if you had MIDI sending to 2 iPads and mixed the audio. You could also make a Frankenstein poly out of all your monosynths...

• @DMan said:

@BroCoast said:
    Hearing the demo stuff for this was actually a bit of a relief for me, my poly patches in Model D/Model 15/Animoog sound almost as good.

Did you catch this thread on making a poly out of mono synths with StreamByter/MIDIFire?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28392/streambyter-script-distribute-polyphonic-midi-to-n-outgoing-mono-midi-channels/p1

I took Model D and made it 8 voice polyphony with it!! Would work for Model 15 and would even work with Animoog if you had MIDI sending to 2 iPads and mixed the audio. You could also make a Frankenstein poly out of all your monosynths...

Awesome! Thanks, I missed that. I had made the frankenstein poly before using Polymer on my mac but great to see it's possible on iOS.

• @DMan said:

@BroCoast said:

This looks cool. If it really works with just my iPad (no desktop computer) I may finally invest in a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru and try that Streambyter thing with my MS-20 Mini, Monologue, and TT-303.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I can't afford it, but I don't consider that being "turned off" or otherwise emotionally upsetting.

It's a concept car synth that will be sold to established artists such as the ones featured in the above video (Ryuichi Sakamoto, Chick Corea, etc.), established studios, and universities.

I expect a trickle-down polysynth for working class people will be released within the new few years.

Not before behringer do it.

• @supadom said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I can't afford it, but I don't consider that being "turned off" or otherwise emotionally upsetting.

It's a concept car synth that will be sold to established artists such as the ones featured in the above video (Ryuichi Sakamoto, Chick Corea, etc.), established studios, and universities.

I expect a trickle-down polysynth for working class people will be released within the new few years.

Not before behringer do it.

Popular joke these days.

• Magrathea has come alive

• @BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Is anyone else totally turned off by the prices?

I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

Same as cars I suppose.

I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

Would I want one? YEP

Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?

Enough of my class warfare pity party.

Looks awesome as fuck in spite of my belly aching.

Not at all. I could sell my piano and own one of these things no problem. But I wouldn't buy one of these as I've got a ton of great mono synths that bring the analog sounds. Hearing the demo stuff for this was actually a bit of a relief for me, my poly patches in Model D/Model 15/Animoog sound almost as good.

I actually think Moog prices are really fair. Fuck I bought a vintage lefty gibson les paul custom for 3k about 15 years ago when I was a teenager washing dishes. That was my first major instrument purchase & I was earning 80 bucks a week.

The definition for a musician needs an update because there is a serious difference between a lifer that put's it all into their tools and craft compared to a dabbler that spends their spare cash on some toys.

With all due respect.

I don't see how much a person spends on gear as the determining fact if they are a serious musician.

In fact, I would say the exact opposite.

The person with a minimal amount of gear they can afford who eats breaths and sleeps writing and performing passionate music and lyrics is not any less a musician because of his or her disposable income.

I hardly think to that person because what the cost of their items makes them toys.

In fact, probably a lot more motivating to have the coolest new things to make music.

Down on the delta, you better believe no one had baller studios and amazing PA systems when the worlds best blues were played on those crossroads.

Believe that.

One man. Something that makes noise. And soul.

That is all it takes.

Petty cash and labels of who a person is based on their buying power makes a musician not.

• I'm a dabbler. But when I do get my spare 1/2 hour - 1 hour per/night, I'm pretty darned serious about it. So, maybe I'm a serious dabbler.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

Same as cars I suppose.

I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

Would I want one? YEP

Not at all. I could sell my piano and own one of these things no problem. But I wouldn't buy one of these as I've got a ton of great mono synths that bring the analog sounds. Hearing the demo stuff for this was actually a bit of a relief for me, my poly patches in Model D/Model 15/Animoog sound almost as good.

I actually think Moog prices are really fair. Fuck I bought a vintage lefty gibson les paul custom for 3k about 15 years ago when I was a teenager washing dishes. That was my first major instrument purchase & I was earning 80 bucks a week.

The definition for a musician needs an update because there is a serious difference between a lifer that put's it all into their tools and craft compared to a dabbler that spends their spare cash on some toys.

With all due respect.

I don't see how much a person spends on gear as the determining fact if they are a serious musician.

The person with a minimal amount of gear they can afford who eats breaths and sleeps writing and performing passionate music and lyrics is not any less a musician because of his or her disposable income.

I hardly think to that person because what the cost of their items makes them toys.

In fact, probably a lot more motivating to have the coolest new things to make music.

Down on the delta, you better believe no one had baller studios and amazing PA systems when the worlds best blues were played on those crossroads.

Believe that.

That is all it takes.

Petty cash and labels of who a person is based on their buying power makes a musician not.

I never said it was... I actually said the opposite. I am speaking of devotion, not wealth at all. Acquiring expensive tools requires devotion.

Being a serious anything requires devotion. That may be practicing 10 hours a day or it may be making sacrifices to pay for expensive instruments.

If you go to a conservatorium and look at the average amount a violinist has to pay for their instrument it makes the Moog One look like chump change. These people aren't rich but heavily devoted to their craft. They're paying off $50k + instruments, the cost of formal education etc. etc.

No you don't need expensive tools or a formal education to be a serious musician, the person you speak of with no expensive tools is still devoting themselves to their craft through time. Time has the potential to equal money. Serious musicians put time and/or money into their craft.

• I suspect guitarists aren't as shocked by the One prices, because of the prices of vintage Les Pauls and Strats - each of which cost as much as a new car or more. Also boutique tube guitar amps like the infamous Dumble amp line.

Not justifying the Moog prices - just observing.

• Hell, I remember Manuel Gottsching saying (in the 70s) that he had to make a choice between buying a car and the Minimoog. He made a good choice.

This is absolutely something I would own (after selling all my other extraneous synths and stuff) if I was as serious about making music as I was 5 years ago. As it is now, I'll definitely enjoy watching videos of it.

• edited October 2018

What interests me the most about the One is not necessarily the One itself but the direction that Moog Music has chosen to go by developing this polysynth. They've been accused, however unfairly, of rehashing the same analog tech over and over again - the One is a bold statement product on their part. Ethernet port on a synth - pretty wild! And still unusual - I remember Yamaha promoting MIDI over LAN and how they were going to do new synths with Ethernet, but that seems to have gone nowhere.

I see a $3000-$4000 Moog polysynth in the near future. Still highly priced enough to cause many complaints, but it's something I'd be more likely to spring for - assuming the rumor of a new Oberheim-Dave Smith collab under the Sequential name proves to be false, and Dreadbox does not produce a new polysynth to replace the Abyss.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Hell, I remember Manuel Gottsching saying (in the 70s) that he had to make a choice between buying a car and the Minimoog. He made a good choice.

This is absolutely something I would own (after selling all my other extraneous synths and stuff) if I was as serious about making music as I was 5 years ago. As it is now, I'll definitely enjoy watching videos of it.

I read it and thought you are way too young....and then I saw heard..

LOL

• Very nice synth! But yes, that price is quite steep. In Europe €6.699,- for the 8 voice and €8.699,- for the 16 voice one.

For that amount of money one can buy a lot of other synths and related stuff.

• @BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

With all due respect.

Believe that.

That is all it takes.

I never said it was... I actually said the opposite. I am speaking of devotion, not wealth at all. Acquiring expensive tools requires devotion.

Being a serious anything requires devotion. That may be practicing 10 hours a day or it may be making sacrifices to pay for expensive instruments.

If you go to a conservatorium and look at the average amount a violinist has to pay for their instrument it makes the Moog One look like chump change. These people aren't rich but heavily devoted to their craft. They're paying off $50k + instruments, the cost of formal education etc. etc.

No you don't need expensive tools or a formal education to be a serious musician, the person you speak of with no expensive tools is still devoting themselves to their craft through time. Time has the potential to equal money. Serious musicians put time and/or money into their craft.

I guess it is all just not registering to me as for your perspective and prerogative.

I am not into casting labels and categories in coming up with criteria for who and what a "serious" or "dedicated" person making music. Especially when somehow the criteria of money spent on items is in the mix.

I am more into making music.

Granted, I ain't no pauper. I don't have a $2000 brand new MacBook because I am any more or less a musical talent.

I have it because I can buy it.

Purchase ability and/or choices seem mutually exclusive when viewing others behaviors and creative market selection.

Best to you though.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Hell, I remember Manuel Gottsching saying (in the 70s) that he had to make a choice between buying a car and the Minimoog. He made a good choice.

Manuel is really the reason I got into synths. This Moog One will be like his Minimoog for me as I will be driving a car worth 1/10th of my synthesizer. :p

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

With all due respect.

Believe that.

That is all it takes.

I guess it is all just not registering to me as for your perspective and prerogative.

I am not into casting labels and categories in coming up with criteria for who and what a "serious" or "dedicated" person making music. Especially when somehow the criteria of money spent on items is in the mix.

Granted, I ain't no pauper. I don't have a $2000 brand new MacBook because I am any more or less a musical talent.

Purchase ability and/or choices seem mutually exclusive when viewing others behaviors and creative market selection.

Best to you though.

Fair enough! But back to your comment "Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?"

No. I am neither of those things.

• Look at 54 minutes of the following video where you can hear about the sensitivity of the aftertouch and you realize at once this is a very very expressive instrument: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nGNSa8iFz40

Very well done Moog! Its getting more and more interesting!

• It's funny to think of it this way but considering how many "lesser" monophonic analogs sell for over $500, $8000 is kind of a deal for 16 3OSC/dual filter versions of them in one box that can be played polyphonically. With presets, etc. Only 3 discreet timbres at once but if you're up for spending 8 grand, nbd I imagine.

• I doubt I'd ever buy this personally, but to anyone complaining about Moog overpricing things, they've made us three amazing sounding apps! You can have the Moog sound for really really cheap, and load as many instances of Model D as your ipad can handle (that's one for my Air 1 lol).

• If anyone wants a 16 voice VCO with a slightly more forgiving price tag there’s always the Prologue 16 (that one has actual different lil synths under the hood btw, which can be expanded upon). Can have 4 LFOs, if you want it to, although one will take you plenty far on it. Can also have more filters by mixing both analog and digital multimode filters. Etc etc etc.

• edited October 2018

@BroCoast said:

@oat_phipps said:

Manuel is really the reason I got into synths. This Moog One will be like his Minimoog for me as I will be driving a car worth 1/10th of my synthesizer. :p

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

With all due respect.

Believe that.

That is all it takes.

Best to you though.

Fair enough! But back to your comment "Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?"

Same here on Manuel G. I'm only disappointed that over the years I still haven't found anyone else making synth based music that clicks with me quite the way he does. And the guitar playing on top of it. Track 4 of New Age of Earth imo is the pinnacle of analog synth music. And E2-E4 is the best 'trance' album ever made. He was just making something for himself to listen to on long plane rides!

• @oat_phipps said:

Same here on Manuel G. I'm only disappointed that over the years I still haven't found anyone else making synth based music that clicks with me quite the way he does. And the guitar playing on top of it. Track 4 of New Age of Earth imo is the pinnacle of analog synth music. And E2-E4 is the best 'trance' album ever made. He was just making something for himself to listen to on long plane rides!

Yes I think New Age Of Earth is one of his best. The Farfisa Syntorchestra is a lovely machine (it does all the piano and stringy things.)

What I find special about his music and a lot of the 70's synth stuff is the bass is never huge and punching through the mix. It's a different kind of balance.

• One can complain about the price but look what you have to pay for a new Selmer Reference 36 or 54 Tenor Sax. They are for sure handmade all over. Their prices are in the same league, about €6.500,-. No one complains. And that are only the sale prices. With saxophones you have a lot of maintenance, costing you each time about €300,- to €500,-.

• @BroCoast said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Same as cars I suppose.

I know they are art.

I know hand crafted.

I KNOW

I KNOW

I KNOW

Would I want one? YEP

With all due respect.

Believe that.

That is all it takes.

Best to you though.

I think the celebrity comment was more snark than literal question. Me being sarcastic is all.

I do appreciate the dialogue though.

Made me think for sure.

• Little known fact: If you eat enough ramen you can afford anything.... oh yes, the Moog one will be mine!

• @ChrisG said:
    If anyone wants a 16 voice VCO with a slightly more forgiving price tag there’s always the Prologue 16 (that one has actual different lil synths under the hood btw, which can be expanded upon). Can have 4 LFOs, if you want it to, although one will take you plenty far on it. Can also have more filters by mixing both analog and digital multimode filters. Etc etc etc.

Some interesting custom oscillators out there for the Prologue now:

https://www.dirtboxsynth.com/korg-prologue-custom-oscillators

https://edouard.digital/product/blinds-for-prologue/

And Korg is apparently working on a fix for the low E, F, F# out of tune problem.

• Looking at other competition, we all know about Sequential (formerly DSI), but now there's a rumor that Tom Oberheim is working with Sequential on yet another synth - obviously not the OB-6.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@ChrisG said:
    If anyone wants a 16 voice VCO with a slightly more forgiving price tag there’s always the Prologue 16 (that one has actual different lil synths under the hood btw, which can be expanded upon). Can have 4 LFOs, if you want it to, although one will take you plenty far on it. Can also have more filters by mixing both analog and digital multimode filters. Etc etc etc.

And Korg is apparently working on a fix for the low E, F, F# out of tune problem.

Quite a few issues I heard.

literally on youtube.

I heard them.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@ChrisG said:

Quite a few issues I heard.

literally on youtube.

I heard them.

Yeah, I probably listened to the same Youtube videos. The source of the news, concerning the fix in progress, is apparently a Facebook group, but it is a closed one.

• I want one! Can’t afford it!
    Will never buy it.

It’s still a beautiful thing to behold.