Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best examples of iOS only Musicians

Hi,

I've been asked for a number of links to iOS musicians (I know this is a good place to ask :-) ) - so who would you recommend (Soundcloud/bandcamp/spotify links) as a "showcase" of the iOS music world? Needs to be near 100% iOS produced if possible.

Just need a handful (say no more than 10) to demonstrate both the talent and the maturity of the music making of the platform.

Thank you

Comments

• edited October 2018

Check out the Song Of the Month Club threads.....

Then there's always the Audiobus Choon playlist
    https://choon.co/playlists/1ggk8k6lkv/audiobus---chooned-in

Not amazing musicianship by a long way, but 100% iOS (vocals are bought in sample packs)
    https://choon.co/artists/andyplankton/

• I'd be very curious to see a top ten of 100% iOS artists.

What about recorded with iOS but mixed in a studio? Edited and arranged on a DAW?

• Varg is probably the biggest named artist that actively uses the ipad for production. He uses plenty of hardware as well, but has stated in many interviews that most of the Nordic Flora series was done exclusively on an ipad and nothing else.

• Are there even enough of em to make a Top Ten list?

• @lairdhenn said:
    Varg is probably the biggest named artist that actively uses the ipad for production. He uses plenty of hardware as well, but has stated in many interviews that most of the Nordic Flora series was done exclusively on an ipad and nothing else.

yea except Varg is a self proclaimed Nazi who has spent years in prison for burning churches. ipad or not, fuck him.

• or are we talking about the Northern Electronics Varg associated with Abdullah Rashim? that makes more sense.

• @99476598326 said:

@lairdhenn said:
    Varg is probably the biggest named artist that actively uses the ipad for production. He uses plenty of hardware as well, but has stated in many interviews that most of the Nordic Flora series was done exclusively on an ipad and nothing else.

yea except Varg is a self proclaimed Nazi who has spent years in prison for burning churches. ipad or not, fuck him.

No, that's a different one.
    The Varg you are referencing is indeed a contemptible scumbag.

• @99476598326 said:

yeah wrong guy, if you want to find the correct one just google Nordic Flora Series and go to his bandcamp or whatever, no relation other than having the same first name.

• i’m not too concerned with the 100% made on ios., but i’d be i’d be interested to see which artist use ipad synths and effects in production on famous top of the charts songs. I bet it’s a lot more than we think.

• edited October 2018

I guess there isn‘t much iOS only music today if you don’t count imported samples and stuff and/or apps which are ony iOS exclusive.
    Best iOS only musicians existed some years back.
    Sadly i forgot the name of most of them.
    But why does it matter anyway.
    When i‘ve done iOS music only i even hated the „iOS only stem“.... almost came out like an apology.
    There isn‘t much difference anyway these days.
    It‘s all music made with a mobile computer.
    Since souncloud closed the groups i lost track....

• edited October 2018

Well since the question has been asked, I am an IOS only musician and I have been for about 3 years, selling and earning revenue and gaining thousands of plays on Soundcloud, Bandcamp and Youtube, cumilitavely.

The problem with being an independent artist nowadays is that the scene is so fragmented with anyone and everyone releasing tracks but I think if you just focus on your craft and do it for the love of it you'll improve.

I can't be bothered to mess about on Facebook or Twitter and I've taken myself off of Soundcloud for ethical reasons. Point being the game is rigged in favour of the artists with the time and financial resources to put into it and everyone is trying to sound trendy so what is "best" is entirely subjective.

My discography is linked here where all songs can be heard for free and for the month of October the entire discography is being discounted at 90%. (I sell my work to pay for the hosting provided free by Bandcamp.)

• edited October 2018

Thinking off the cuff, Jordan Rhudes comes to mind as a big name player in the music industry. He isn't exclusively an IOS musician but he's a major proponent of IOS apps as he has demoed them for music conventions like NAM. Look him up on Youtube.

IOS music production is considerably cheaper than on the desktop, provided you aren't cracking software and getting everything for free, in which case IOS is more expensive ;) but I think the reason we haven't seen professional stage performing musicians and recording artists fully embrace it is because up until very recently the hardware and operating system simply didn't cut it.

Now we're starting to see actual pro features like Files support and devices with adequate storage, (the new Pros with 100+ gigs) still there are lots of limitations and the professional players with the exception of Korg and Steinberg haven't really provided a very serious set of software tools. Connectivity is a huge PITA too, with only one port and unsupported dongles, battery drain and RAM limitations etc.

IOS is very suitable for electronic music but even then trying to arrange club bangers with things like builds and breakdowns and effects is a major challenge because the DAWS like Cubasis and Gargageband still lack automation capabilities.

IOS is more fun to use than the desktop, not using a mouse and being confined to a console. But to be frank, an IOS device plugged into a Mac with an audio interface and something like Logic is probably still the way to go for optimal workflow.

• Thanks for the answers so far - but to be clear - I'm not asking for signed or famous artists (although welcome of course). Just people like you and me who make music using iOS devices for (mainly) the fun of it, whom I can point an interested third party to and say "here are some good examples of music made on iOS".

• edited October 2018

Doug Woods @thesoundtestroom and Colin Powell @AlterEgo_UK made some nice albums IOS only.

Here is one of my favorites on band camp

The Chronicles of Mr Denks and Mr Klade: The Time Traveller by Doug Woods and Colin Powell
  • @Cib said:
    Best iOS only musicians existed some years back.

Remember back in your cinebient days :lol:
    Use to listen to a lot of your stuff, and JinxPadlock, Pantsofdeath, Pinata Colosso, Carbonish, Jesper Jones, Jakob Haq, SmiteMatter and Nightradio
    These are the ones I recall from memory :wink:

As a bonus, how about this track by Sascha Dikiciyan, all Animoog (with Phaedra sequencing) except the drums?

• edited October 2018

Strictly all IOS here. Over 80 vids from the early Audiobus to AUV3 era. B)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJyGsh5gQF5ORkgN198vnFw?view_as=subscriber

I'm about to start putting some new vids again so keep your eyes peeled if your cup of tea.

• @chandroji said:
    Doug Woods @thesoundtestroom and Colin Powell @AlterEgo_UK made some nice albums IOS only.

Here is one of my favorites on band camp

The Chronicles of Mr Denks and Mr Klade: The Time Traveller by Doug Woods and Colin Powell

Thank you @chandroji Yes, first few albums were iOS only but Doug has started to use plugins in Reason for some of his parts in later albums - still predominately iOS though (I only use my iPad with my guitar and keys)!

• edited October 2018

@AndyPlankton hi ! Do you mind adding my last track submitted last September on SOFM post ? Thanks ! :)

https://choon.co/tracks/6acu3frmoh/the-futur/
    This track is 90% IOS based.

• Totally and utterly 100% iOS based here. No hardware, not even a midi controller. Everything made inside Korg Gadget with the iPad on my lap on the couch at home, on my lunchbreaks at work or sitting in my car somewhere, completely mobile!

Hope these few are good examples 🙂🙏

• @crony said:
    @AndyPlankton hi ! Do you mind adding my last track submitted last September on SOFM post ? Thanks ! :)

https://choon.co/tracks/6acu3frmoh/the-futur/
    This track is 90% IOS based.

Done :)

• I made this rock album 100% on iOS. The guitars are recorded using iOS amp sims and the vocals are real, but it was all recorded, mixed, and mastered on my iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thinking-makes-it-so/1139845269

https://open.spotify.com/album/2HEUJk2yeRkgeRxI6p3nMK?si=afM3dS3kS2GD1Iux8oaPWA

• Techno

100% iPhone with no midi keyboard

Just used EarPods

• https://soundcloud.com/cyp3

iOS has its issues and such but for me I found it awesome cuz I realized I work best to say the least on a train or bus , or at a park, I feel different. Fact when I realized I had all this music inside and came to the conclusion I realllly realllllllly wanted to try and make it materialize I was at a buss stop tapping on a sign post like I had done hundreds of times. It has been the times out in the world which Ive had the strongest ideas and feelings and desire to make my music. I didnt make the connection until after I had bought some gear made for uhhh well NOT made for a backpack! I started out with a small home studio, but I had a commute of 2 hours on a train each day so I decided to buy a portable sampler like an MPC but when I went and tried garage band I was impressed with the touch ui feeling like everything I loved so much about my kaos pad (kp3). So instead of an MPC I bought my first iPad. When MPC live came out INTUA BM3 had just been released, by time I got funds, I of of course ended up back on ios, buying a new IPAD and an audio interface that could handle two ipads.. then MPC ONE was released, and I bought one immediately, first train ride was interrupted by a conductor offended I was making too much noise in the quiet section , I just grunted at her through my gas mask and pulled out my ipad. Realized MPC one is entirely not portable for commute if one intended to say pickup groceries too... so then apple released the current cheap ass ipad, its like $350 here in Sweden, and I had to get one which is what I am using to finish my current album or well its done mostly, I am just working on videos to release each track with and for my live sets if this sars shit ever ends.... I try to buy new devices before I destroyed the previous because two or more ipads work lovely together. I just got a CME widi bluetooth midi jack for the MPC One, but I dont really use the mpc to write. I am solely ios based. The only thing I will do is I wont play my live sets on ios. i will use hardware and basicly remix my live stuf like most folks do. ( CDJs MPC etc )

https://soundcloud.com/cyp3

• edited May 2021

To be clear, by no means do I think I am ‘best’, or even a ‘musician’ . But I am persistent, and... Well, @kitejan, since you asked... ! :)

Shameless self promotion Part XViii of an ongoing series - all I do, so far, is composed 100%, most usually in AUM, on IOS, iPad only, no keyboard or other interface, and only very, very recently have I started using Ableton to arrange the resultant raw stems, not because I can’t do that on iPad (I can, in Cubasis 2 and latterly, Audio Evolution) but because it is just easier with the screen real estate I get on my Apple Cinema screen using Ableton.

A surprisingly cheering 8,576 streams on SoundCloud from a total of 32 tracks uploaded since mid 2019 when I started in the sunny disposable summer pop nano-genre that is Dark Ambient. These two are both from my early, 100% IPad/AUM, Ableton-free days:

Teaser alert: coming soon, Lateriphobia, aka Lego: The Dark Ambient mix:

• edited May 2021

Most of my work is 90% iOS. Most recently starting bringing in modular, VCV Rack, and Maschine into mix.

• edited May 2021

Since self-promotion seems to be ok’d in this thread - These were produced 100% with an iPad and an iPhone camera using Auria and Lumafusion.