Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I'm finally in the gadget gang!

Finally pulled the trigger as a celebration for selling my house 😁 man I see what the hype was all about already after just 20 minutes of browsing thru.... Seems pretty strait forward and it's dope just having everything function in a similar manner... Makes for quick sketches and fast changes, that's what I need sometimes cuz time is tight these days to make music. Everything sounds good..... Like everyone I wish I could use my audio units, but I'll survive and export the audio to use my effects...

That being said, is there anything I must know or any videos I should watch to show me the gadget secrets...

Comments

• @reasOne said:

That being said, is there anything I must know

YES ... It will appear that Gadget is autosaving your project...IT IS NOT !
    What is happening is it is saving the state of the current open project. If you just open a new or other project without saving your current project first, you will lose stuff.
    You are fine all the time you stay in the same project, it is when you switch projects that stuff will disappear.

• I learned that the hard way... could at least give you a warning, how hard would that be to implement?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@reasOne said:

What is happening is it is saving the state of the current open project. If you just open a new or other project without saving your current project first, you will lose stuff.
    You are fine all the time you stay in the same project, it is when you switch projects that stuff will disappear.

Great advice. I realised this only just recently.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@reasOne said:

Ahhh!! Great info my man!!! Big thanks

• One thing to keep in mind. If you already have the Mono/Poly and Odyssey as standalone apps, and you decide to install their Gadget versions (Montpellier and Lexington), if you make any of your own user presets in the standalone versions, they will not appear in the Gadget versions, and they cannot be transferred either.

• Some of these synths just sound great right away! I have been itching for Helsinki for a long time and Kiev is so dope... It was worth it just for those and the workflow of the daw imo but I'm sure these other synths have a lot to offer!

I have my eyes on abu Dhabi tho.... And kamata.... And Lisbon.... And everything else haha....

I wanna hear or see your gadget jams !!

• edited October 2018

@reasOne said:
    Some of these synths just sound great right away! I have been itching for Helsinki for a long time and Kiev is so dope... It was worth it just for those and the workflow of the daw imo but I'm sure these other synths have a lot to offer!

I have my eyes on abu Dhabi tho.... And kamata.... And Lisbon.... And everything else haha....

@reasOne said:
    Some of these synths just sound great right away! I have been itching for Helsinki for a long time and Kiev is so dope... It was worth it just for those and the workflow of the daw imo but I'm sure these other synths have a lot to offer!

Http://www.lucidmusicinc.bandcamp.com

The last 10 or so albums are more than 95% Gadget exclusive creations. Trance house music. You’ll find me on YouTube by the same name too.

Congrats on joining the Gadget mafia >:)

• If you do ANY kind of sampling you've got to pick up Bilbao and Abu Dhabi.

https://icsleepers.bandcamp.com/album/cellar-door

This is 100% Gadget, mixed in Gadget, I did run it through Grand Finale for a little finishing touch sheen, and all the samples are from either Blocs Wave or Launchpad. But otherwise, all synths, all the structuring, everything is all Gadget.

I used to hate the sequencer. But I finally just gave up and gave in and I'm happy I did.

• edited October 2018

Here's my first attempt at bass house. I offloaded the project to resume it at a later date, but here's the gist complete with cheesy rap (although the original rap was cheesier).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmlecmqkafzgf97/Sash - We Like to Party (JWM 2018 Cover Version (so far)).m4a?dl=0

Then next we have my recreation of the beat from Rockstar using only what comes with Gadget, no IAPs. As much as I malign Post Malone, Tank God's beat is tight af.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx0bp46nqbirb82/GrandFinale - 0718181245-converted.m4a?dl=0

Recreation of a beat from (I think it was) a Diet Coke ad with Heidi Klum in it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lppxfiia4k433u/GrandFinale - 0430182303-converted.m4a?dl=0

A quickly made sketch of a remake of Sash's "Rock the Block".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ini4d33c6vzlsny/GrandFinale - 0421181653-trimmed-converted.m4a?dl=0

One of the bg tracks from Shinobi remade into disco. Despite how it sounds, all the instruments were programmed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wou6n5hphryv9af/GrandFinale - 0409182346-trimmed-converted.m4a?dl=0

Hopefully you can access this via Facebook (it's publicly available), but here's a snippet of an upcoming original track. (Stupid quality reduction. F you Facebook, lol.) Stems mixed in Auria I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/100000993944035/posts/1754314027945045/

Annnnd finally, my remix of Netta's "Toy". The stems were mixed in AUM (during the pre-Pro-Q2-AU days) before processing. The video was done up in Lumafusion. Has a different flow than the original, and the cringy chicken bawking noises were limited to the first 8 bars.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itc1bo6jvhdb8gv/Netta - Toy (JWM 'We Love the 90s' Remix).mp4?dl=0

You made the right choice diving into Gadget land. You'll never leave now, mwahaha.

• edited October 2018

@pedro said:
    I learned that the hard way... could at least give you a warning, how hard would that be to implement?

Knowing how to program an app is one thing - knowing “how NOT to” program is another thing - that comes from experience as a USER of the app. Those who create apps should also use them and test the crap out of them with all use cases to know their shortcomings and also learn from others' apps.

• edited October 2018

Pick up your "Official Bitch at Korg about Gadget" badge on your way out today, ok? Don't want to be mistaken for a common infidel.

• I habitually go to save each time I’ve finished, just before I stuff my phone into the pouch that hangs around my neck and I stroll off the train at the stop. I also make sure it’s going to save to iCloud as well, additionally, too (you have to cause the icon to be full coloured and robust, rather than skeletal and weedy).

• Korg Gadget ate my funeral fund :p

• Welcome to the gang
    The only way out is death or Au3

If you dislike the sequencer and would like a more traditional linear style, Xequence is great combo with Gadget.

• edited October 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@pedro said:
    I learned that the hard way... could at least give you a warning, how hard would that be to implement?

Knowing how to program an app is one thing - knowing “how NOT to” program is another thing - that comes from experience as a USER of the app. Those who create apps should also use them and test the crap out of them with all use cases to know their shortcomings.

Amen!

• edited October 2018

@reasOne said:
    Finally pulled the trigger as a celebration for selling my house 😁 man I see what the hype was all about already after just 20 minutes of browsing thru.... Seems pretty strait forward and it's dope just having everything function in a similar manner... Makes for quick sketches and fast changes, that's what I need sometimes cuz time is tight these days to make music. Everything sounds good..... Like everyone I wish I could use my audio units, but I'll survive and export the audio to use my effects...

That being said, is there anything I must know or any videos I should watch to show me the gadget secrets...

Good decision!
    The most important rule with Gadget, at least for me, is:
    Hold back with instabuys.
    After working a lot with most gadgets, I found that many IAP gadgets are more or less obsolete if you take a little bit of time to really work with what's already included.
    If I had to decide again, I would only get me these IAP gadgets:

• Stockholm (I own Recycle and a huge number of fantastic, inspiring REX loops)
    • Bilbao (more flexible than Abu Dhabi, in which you could only load one loop anyway)
    • iMonoPoly (this and Phoenix+Wolfsburg+Dublin will cover all your analog synth needs)
    • iWavestation if you're into wave sequences and Roland D-50 style sounds
    • Vancouver (only a silly barebones sampler that doesn't even have a sample keymap, but well, it can play a sample chromatically, which is a bit fiddly with Stockholm when doing chords)

Did you know that you can import recordings and loops from AudioShare and use them in Rosario and Zurich? That's usually the best for loops that span one bar or more, as you can trim but not freely move the imported audio.

• Not a fan ??? 😂> @lukesleepwalker said:

Pick up your "Official Bitch at Korg about Gadget" badge on your way out today, ok? Don't want to be mistaken for a common infidel.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Welcome to the gang
    The only way out is death or Au3

If you dislike the sequencer and would like a more traditional linear style, Xequence is great combo with Gadget.

Oh sweet, I have xequence ! So I'll deff use it, @SevenSystems is dope

• @rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:

Good decision!
    After working a lot with most gadgets, I found that many IAP gadgets are more or less obsolete if you take a little bit of time to really work with what's already included.

• Bilbao (more flexible than Abu Dhabi, in which you could only load one loop anyway)
    • iMonoPoly (this and Phoenix+Wolfsburg+Dublin will cover all your analog synth needs)
    • Vancouver (only a silly barebones sampler that doesn't even have a sample keymap, but well, it can play a sample chromatically, which is a bit fiddly with Stockholm when doing chords)

Did you know that you can import recordings and loops from AudioShare and use them in Rosario and Zurich? That's usually the best for loops that span one bar or more, as you can trim but not freely move the imported audio.

Good call! Deff wanna learn what it has before getting more, although I do have my eye on abu Dhabi just cuz it looks fun and powerful.... Ima watch some videos on it and libson just to see... And that mono poly I've wanted a while... But I'm thinking your right, the synths in here seem to be able to cover everything, Phoenix sounds great, didn't expect that !

• @rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:

Good decision!

I'll check out bilbao first tho

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Korg Gadget ate my funeral fund :p

😂😂😂

• @Spidericemidas said:
    One thing to keep in mind. If you already have the Mono/Poly and Odyssey as standalone apps, and you decide to install their Gadget versions (Montpellier and Lexington), if you make any of your own user presets in the standalone versions, they will not appear in the Gadget versions, and they cannot be transferred either.

Good info!

• @lukesleepwalker @jwmmakerofmusic @icsleepers

Thanks for the shares, Imma jam it all tonight !!

• @reasOne said:
    @lukesleepwalker @jwmmakerofmusic @icsleepers

Thanks for the shares, Imma jam it all tonight !!

Busy in Gadget tonight too! Just finished a new track for rendering and uploading tomorrow. Welcome to the Gadget gang! Glad you’re enjoying it!

• I use the hell out of bilbao. Easily 5 instances in every song. One for hats, one for kicks etc. Most important iap for me.
    Have never used abu dhabi, although i have never been a beat slicer type.

Not sure if i prefer imonopoly or odyssei. I probably use odyssei more. From the standard synths i Mostly use dublin and Helsinki, i like Phoenix.
    Madrid has my favorite upright basses ever.

Love the sequencer. Welcome to the club.

• @vpich said:

Madrid I think is one of the best bass synth/samplers I’ve used, period. Caveat, I don’t have a ton of experience on iOS with bass specific apps but this one sounds gooooood

• @vpich said:
    I use the hell out of bilbao. Easily 5 instances in every song. One for hats, one for kicks etc. Most important iap for me.

Not sure if i prefer imonopoly or odyssei. I probably use odyssei more. From the standard synths i Mostly use dublin and Helsinki, i like Phoenix.

Being a synth tweaker, I'm using both Odyssey and iMonoPoly inside Gadget, but only in rare cases Odyssey is unique enough to justify its CPU cost. Odyssey has one specific filter sound that is great, but within musical context, iMonoPoly and the others often work just as well or even better. iMono can do most of what Ody can, but not the other way 'round.

• Love gadget man!. I created a track in like 2 weeks (record time for me). Some users are requesting features at the official forum, hope Korg listen's to at least a few of those...

• @rs2000 said:

@vpich said:
    I use the hell out of bilbao. Easily 5 instances in every song. One for hats, one for kicks etc. Most important iap for me.

Being a synth tweaker, I'm using both Odyssey and iMonoPoly inside Gadget, but only in rare cases Odyssey is unique enough to justify its CPU cost. Odyssey has one specific filter sound that is great, but within musical context, iMonoPoly and the others often work just as well or even better. iMono can do most of what Ody can, but not the other way 'round.

Hmm i never have issues with cpu cost in gadget. But inrarely use more than 9-10 tracks. I see what you mean but i rarely have the time to create my own synth sounds lately. I just find what sounds close to what i want and tweak them a bit. i have way more oddysei presets (i bought all the additional ones) that are closer to my wheelhouse. Mostly use it for bass, some pads. But yeah love them both.

• edited October 2018

First day with gadget, ... and I'm totally feeling it.
    This thing is a beast...i can't even complain, as someone who grew up in the 80s, pre iPhone or any cell phone... and Pre iPad... Gadget, and really most of what we have available on iOS, is something that we could only dream of for many years,...and now it's here... And getting better by the day...
    We can always say, ya but it doesn't do this, and can't do that.. But you know what, that's perfectly ok that it has limits...because what it can do is powerful... And if we can't make great music with all this, we can only blame ourselves...
    Would love to see a day where gadget can load up my other audio units and iaa but while it can't, thank devs for other options like Aum, ab3 , cubasis and the rest!
    It's been a hella inspiring day with this new app and my iPad 😃