Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix: big update incoming

Comments

• @RockySmalls said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RockySmalls said:

@u0421793 said:
    Could you route AB2 into apeMatrix into AUM into AB3 back into apeMatrix across to AB2 back over to AUM into AB3 and out through GarageBand?

yes... Now hear the word of the Lord!

I guess as long as your audio knows when to turn left, otherwise you could be stuck on that roundabout for a while !

if by ‘roundabout’ you mean ‘feedback loop’ then i personally don’t mind... the kids can keep themselves occupied singing..
    “ dem apps, dem apps, dem AU apps!”

Starts with a very low inaudible sound, left going after your latest spacey minimalist ambient masterpiece........2 hours later wandering around the house "WTF is that noise ?"
    Realisation moment....."Ohhhh, 5 tape delays all feeding into each other" ... "Hmmm, must remember to record that next time !" :D

• same here, keep refreshing app store.... it’s gotta be close right?

• OK. Honest and sincere question: If one is already just about on top of Auria/Cubasis/AB/AUM does this bring enough to the table (for the average bod like myself) to dig into and chew on the learning curve etc?

• @kinkujin said:
    ApeMatrix is quickly becoming a favorite app of mine. At first it was this funky and powerful enigma to me. But since spending time with it and watching @Daveypoo videos it is less enigma and more power machine. Once you get the basics down it yields great results. I haven't even gotten into some of the deep deep parts of it yet and here comes this major update (upgrade?). Wow. This dev is on fire.

Always has been.

• edited October 2018

Well, if you are happy with your current workflow then I might say no. For me (relatively new to ios platform and trying out TONS of stuff, and got it before AUM) it just seems to work for. I love the grid matrix thing - once you get your head around it - seems very logical.

Cubasis for me is just tough to love. But, I dig NanoStudio and am looking forward to that update. Then I won't use Cubasis likely. But that is a linear style of recording.

But, ApeMatrix encourages sort of working in a different way. More performance oriented but I'm not doing any live. But, my goal for it is to get 1)grooves going, 2)record them, and 3)eventually finish them in ApeMatrix or load them into another DAW either on iPad or desktop DAW. I haven't gotten to 3 yet but Ape has really jumpstarted this more experimental style of playing/recording for me. I love it.

• @kinkujin said:
    ApeMatrix is quickly becoming a favorite app of mine. At first it was this funky and powerful enigma to me. But since spending time with it and watching @Daveypoo videos it is less enigma and more power machine. Once you get the basics down it yields great results. I haven't even gotten into some of the deep deep parts of it yet and here comes this major update (upgrade?). Wow. This dev is on fire.

I'm glad that the videos helped! apeMatrix has replaced AUM as my go to for sequencing and jamming. That's not a slight on AUM but rather a compliment to apeSoft that they so quickly offered an alternative that is complimentary and not necessarily a competitor.

• I'm thinking about picking up apematrix, but I've got a few questions about it.
    I would appreciate if someone could help me out.
    I went through Daveypoos videos and noticed that when using external synth he sent audio through AUM,
    so my 1st question is - does AM support multichannel audio interfaces, is it possible to route audio in without AUM?
    recording audio - How do you guys record audio in AM? Is there a recorder module? Can you record multiple channels/groups at once? Does it support Files app?
    and one more - in AUM if I would like to send audio to an app that can record input (e.g Samplr, Blocs Wave) I have to route it through AB3 - can you send audio directly from AM to say Samplr, is it available as a destination when loaded?

• edited October 2018

@recccp said:
    I'm thinking about picking up apematrix, but I've got a few questions about it.
    I went through Daveypoos videos and noticed that when using external synth he sent audio through AUM,
    so my 1st question is - does AM support multichannel audio interfaces, is it possible to route audio in without AUM?
    recording audio - How do you guys record audio in AM? Is there a recorder module? Can you record multiple channels/groups at once? Does it support Files app?
    and one more - in AUM if I would like to send audio to an app that can record input (e.g Samplr, Blocs Wave) I have to route it through AB3 - can you send audio directly from AM to say Samplr, is it available as a destination when loaded?

This new update (out very soon hopefully) brings support for multi channel audio interfaces and multi file recording. Each matrix has a stereo input and output, so you can use up to 6 channels at once. (although if you also use the IAA out ports I guess you could add 4 more outs to that)

You can record 3 stereo files, one for each matrix with the app, or you can use your own recorder by adding another app of course, or recording out to a Daw etc. Yes Files app is supported. I usually record out to my computer through my interface, or use the built in file recorder.

You can’t send audio to Samplr directly, that’s because of Samplr, the Samplr developer only allowed that option with Audiobus.

• @Carnbot said:

@recccp said:
    I'm thinking about picking up apematrix, but I've got a few questions about it.

This new update (out very soon hopefully) brings support for multi channel audio interfaces and multi file recording. Each matrix has a stereo input and output, so you can use up to 6 channels at once. (although if you also use the IAA out ports I guess you could add 4 more outs to that)

You can record 3 stereo files, one for each matrix with the app, or you can use your own recorder by adding another app of course, or recording out to a Daw etc. Yes Files app is supported. I usually record out to my computer through my interface, or use the built in file recorder.

You can’t send audio to Samplr directly, that’s because of Samplr, the Samplr developer only allowed that option with Audiobus.

Thank you.
    Looks like it isn't for me, but I will definitely keep eye on it.

• it’s defiantly for me. ;) any updates? is it still
    in review?

• @Carnbot said:
    Some great new features on it's way, including 2 new Audio Unit apps, stay tuned :)

This app is F ing BAD ASS AND AN ADVENTURE!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:
    Some great new features on it's way, including 2 new Audio Unit apps, stay tuned :)

Very true! :D

• @Carnbot said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

Very true! :D

Just love how simple it is to modulate AU parameters using the inbuilt LFOs. @j_liljedahl AUM feature request.

• i feel the app store trolls may have delayed this update. hope not though..... very excited to get it!

• any more news on this update? i’m very excited for this thing.

• Yeah sorry, should have waited until released to post as seemed certain it would drop quickly, not sure why the delay...but there has been a small bugfix since then so it might have been re-admitted, not sure.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    OK. Honest and sincere question: If one is already just about on top of Auria/Cubasis/AB/AUM does this bring enough to the table (for the average bod like myself) to dig into and chew on the learning curve etc?

Wondering this too. Seems to be more performance oriented, which would suit my kidneys, but looks a bit of a fiddle. I’m waiting for a sale.

• agh ..... i figured it was probably something like that. damn bugs :/ > @Carnbot said:

Yeah sorry, should have waited until released to post as seemed certain it would drop quickly, not sure why the delay...but there has been a small bugfix since then so it might have been re-admitted, not sure.

• Nice thing is that it will be a nice and refined update :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    OK. Honest and sincere question: If one is already just about on top of Auria/Cubasis/AB/AUM does this bring enough to the table (for the average bod like myself) to dig into and chew on the learning curve etc?

Wondering this too. Seems to be more performance oriented, which would suit my kidneys, but looks a bit of a fiddle. I’m waiting for a sale.

Fiddly yes. But, honestly, watch @Daveypoo tutorials and you'll be off and running. If I can suss it out (mostly) anyone can.

• It’s a substantial update with lots of great additions and new functions. Some of the additions even work as AU apps in their own right, outside of apeMartix in other hosts.

I don’t know if the price is going up, but it definitely justifies a price increase with the scope of this particular update. IMO :)

• What’s the hold up on the update?

• @MonzoPro I don't find it fiddly at all, now. For me it took all of about 10 minutes before the layout clicked, then Zi was off to the races. I can't wait for this update - apeMatrix has supplanted AUM as my DAW of choice for jamming. Still using Cubasis for writing "songs" but apeMatrix is pretty much all I use for sequencing now.

• @Dchild said:
    What’s the hold up on the update?

It's stuck in the matrix.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It kind of does what the others do, but the paradigm Is different. All the others use a virtual mixing desk plus timeline (in Cubasis and Auria's case) model while AM is centred around patching, both audio and midi. I know it's unfair to pick on one in particular, but the difference between drilling down to the midi parameters in AUM and being able to see them all laid out is amazing. It's so good I can't wait for the others to copy and improve on the idea.
    The place the model starts to reach its limitations though, is when you go over one matrix. At that point you have to start making decisions about which audio or midi bus to use to tie things together, and that seems clunky compared to the beautiful simplicity of a single matrix.
    One thing that occurs to me is that it's about time, with the advent of MPE, to have multiple 'universes' of midi available in software, much like DMX. It only took 36 years to get MPE - so watch this space in about 2050.

• @Daveypoo said:
    @MonzoPro I don't find it fiddly at all, now. For me it took all of about 10 minutes before the layout clicked, then Zi was off to the races. I can't wait for this update - apeMatrix has supplanted AUM as my DAW of choice for jamming. Still using Cubasis for writing "songs" but apeMatrix is pretty much all I use for sequencing now.

Thanks Dave. That's interesting as I'm a 'jamming' type of person, and that's the main job of AUM for me. I obviously need to check out apeMatrix as it sounds a good fit for what I do.

@pauly said:

It kind of does what the others do, but the paradigm Is different. All the others use a virtual mixing desk plus timeline (in Cubasis and Auria's case) model while AM is centred around patching, both audio and midi. I know it's unfair to pick on one in particular, but the difference between drilling down to the midi parameters in AUM and being able to see them all laid out is amazing. It's so good I can't wait for the others to copy and improve on the idea.

Thanks Pauly. Definitely on the list, this one.

• I use the big three (apeMatrix, AUM and Audiobus 3) at different times. and I'm loving where they are all going, in implementing different flavours of the same paradigm, in that you are free to add as many elements as you want to make it as deep or simple as required.

I find with the apeMatrix LFO integration, it's quicker in building a complex sound even compared to a desktop app like Ableton Live. I mean obviously you can go deeper with Live, if you keep adding plugins. But getting going in apeMatrix is much more intimate and fun.

Can't wait to get more AU sequencers like Thesys and Sunv_x being released. Proton midi recorder is also going to make this even better.

• @pauly said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

The place the model starts to reach its limitations though, is when you go over one matrix. At that point you have to start making decisions about which audio or midi bus to use to tie things together, and that seems clunky compared to the beautiful simplicity of a single matrix.
    One thing that occurs to me is that it's about time, with the advent of MPE, to have multiple 'universes' of midi available in software, much like DMX. It only took 36 years to get MPE - so watch this space in about 2050.

Thanks. Good post. That helps with the slow understanding :)

• @MonzoPro Having heard your music, AM looks like a Monzo machine to me.

• @aaronpc said:
    @MonzoPro Having heard your music, AM looks like a Monzo machine to me.

Well put. I concur! Not that it matters.

I finally took the few minutes needed to suss out LFO routing and it’s awesome. This app is just fab. Really looking forward to this update.