Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Electribe Wave demo track

edited October 2018 in Creations

Just a very quickly made demo track made with Electribe Wave on an iPhone.

I bought it at 10pm and by 12.30am I’d made this track.

It’s just a 2 bar loop of 3 synths and a few drums. 2 out of the 3 synth patches I made from scratch. I then just played it through and used the mute and level fader buttons in the app to arrange the track (you can hear some mistakes as I try to tweak one of the synths while also muting/unmuting parts at the same time. Need more practice with that.)

Conclusion: it’s really easy to get something going quickly with this app.

Anyone else using it on an iPhone? I think it’s pretty usable...

Comments

• edited October 2018

Solid sounding track, absolutely. Hope you post more!

Re tweaking and muting... try using the Kaos pad. You can assign parameters on the xy axis including volume ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Re tweaking and muting... try using the Kaos pad. You can assign parameters on the xy axis including volume ;)

Thanks. Just a quick test, really. But that wave table synth sounds GREAT to me. Lots to experiment with.

I found (and used) the Kaos pad, thanks. It’s more that I haven’t quite worked out how you can tweak a synth and simulatiously kill the kick drum (or bring it back in or whatever). The mute/solo buttons are visible at the same time as the kaos pad but using them to mute drums means you lose control of the synth tweaking. I’m sure there must be a way, though. Or otherwise I have to midi learn those mute buttons to a separate controller.

• Not bad for a test

I’m loving this app and it has a learning curve

It seems not so intuitive but I’m learning how to make it work

Yes the synth is great and the automations are astonishing especially with the kaoss pads

I’m slowly stringing a track together but not yet sure if I will use this as a stand-alone or export stuff to gadget

Gadget is faster and there is far more control, but the synth in wave is more flexible and intense than most gadgets apart from say- Wolfsburg which I’m currently finding my bread and butter for self made pads and leads

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Thanks. Just a quick test, really. But that wave table synth sounds GREAT to me. Lots to experiment with.

I found (and used) the Kaos pad, thanks. It’s more that I haven’t quite worked out how you can tweak a synth and simulatiously kill the kick drum (or bring it back in or whatever). The mute/solo buttons are visible at the same time as the kaos pad but using them to mute drums means you lose control of the synth tweaking. I’m sure there must be a way, though. Or otherwise I have to midi learn those mute buttons to a separate controller.

If you happen to have a NanoKontrol2 lying around in 'Korg Native' mode that'll do the levels/pan/mutes and solo for you as well as transport ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

If you happen to have a NanoKontrol2 lying around in 'Korg Native' mode that'll do the levels/pan/mutes and solo for you as well as transport ;)

Oooooh... really! I have a nanoPad2 and also a NanoKEY Studio - both of which i'll try for any native mode compatibility (?). But maybe I might pick up a NanoKontrol from eBay then. Would be very tempting for live use.

Thanks.

• @mindscaper said:
    Not bad for a test

I’m loving this app and it has a learning curve

It seems not so intuitive but I’m learning how to make it work

Yes the synth is great and the automations are astonishing especially with the kaoss pads

I’m slowly stringing a track together but not yet sure if I will use this as a stand-alone or export stuff to gadget

Gadget is faster and there is far more control, but the synth in wave is more flexible and intense than most gadgets apart from say- Wolfsburg which I’m currently finding my bread and butter for self made pads and leads

Thanks...

Yes, i'm in a similar conundrum about how i'd actually use it 'for real'. Can't see producing a whole track inside it. But I love the way that you can set the LFOs etc. onto the wavetable position so that the same notes played repetitively sound subtly different each time. You won't get any of that by bouncing out 8 bars. Currently I thinking maybe using it to record 128 bars of evolving bassline, 128 bars of evolving pads etc... Then getting those stems, putting them (tediously) into Zurich in Gadget and then going from there - completing the track with Gadget (which as you say, is lot easier to work with when it comes to the detailed arrangement).

But love the sound of this Electribe Wave synth! So easy to get really fresh sounding stuff that I don't think I can emulate with any of the current Gadget synths. I just wish this synth gets released for Gadget!

It’s just a 2 bar loop of 3 synths and a few drums. 2 out of the 3 synth patches I made from scratch. I then just played it through and used the mute and level fader buttons in the app to arrange the track (you can hear some mistakes as I try to tweak one of the synths while also muting/unmuting parts at the same time. Need more practice with that.)

Good start!

I like fiddling with this thing also. Do find myself asking 'why not do this in Gadget, more stuff, more flexibility', but there's something about the constraints (that old thing) i like....what's your take viz Gadget?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Good start!

I like fiddling with this thing also. Do find myself asking 'why not do this in Gadget, more stuff, more flexibility', but there's something about the constraints (that old thing) i like....what's your take viz Gadget?

Gadget is the boss. KEW is a new hire.

But I like some of the sounds it can make (which Gadget can’t). For ‘making music’, if they release this synth inside Gadget then I’d probably never open KEW again TBH. But they haven’t.

For playing in a live setting, however, KEW might even have the edge over Gadget if the mutes are true ‘midi note mutes’ rather than audio signal mutes (I haven’t checked yet) and you hook it up with a nanokontrol.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Hey Andy, do you happen to know how this works then? Since the NanoKontrol2 has 8 faders, how does it divide them between the 8 synths and 8 drums - can you use the scene button and therefore get access to all 16?

@AndyPlankton said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Hey Andy, do you happen to know how this works then? Since the NanoKontrol2 has 8 faders, how does it divide them between the 8 synths and 8 drums - can you use the scene button and therefore get access to all 16?

Yes you use the track buttons to page between them, it also swaps the app between the synth and drum view to correspond with which you are on.
    If you want to use nano control for drum mixer and app for synth parameters then you need to swap to drums using the controller, then swap the app to synth, you can then use both together, if you page using the controller it resets back to match it and may have to select synth again....not sure what will happen if using both nano kontrol and nanokey studio.

• edited October 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Good start!

But I like some of the sounds it can make (which Gadget can’t). For ‘making music’, if they release this synth inside Gadget then I’d probably never open KEW again TBH. But they haven’t.

For playing in a live setting, however, KEW might even have the edge over Gadget if the mutes are true ‘midi note mutes’ rather than audio signal mutes (I haven’t checked yet) and you hook it up with a nanokontrol.

I think they are audio mutes ! Reason I think this is that in song mode I had to add an empty pattern on the end to get a sustained note.

Agree on the synth, with the modulation options it is really easy to get some nice interesting sounds, and the bass you can get is really nice

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Good start!

I think they are audio mutes ! Reason I think this is that in song mode I had to add an empty pattern on the end to get a sustained note.

Agree on the synth, with the modulation options it is really easy to get some nice interesting sounds, and the bass you can get is really nice

Agreed. I’m stuck using earbuds at the moment, and I’m super pissed cause I know I’m missing out on great bass. That being said, still sounds really good to me. Will be a nice surprise when I get my new cans

• What it that xequence app could control this app??

Then just sequence a whole track with xequence and then press play and record into AudioShare??

Yay!

I just checked with NodeBeat and wave does allow midi in

Do you have xequence Matt?

I don’t yet but it might help us get tracks going with the app..

• Well... here’s a live jam with the app I just found

Seems to be good

• Interesting. I've been putting it off because I have an iPhone and, well, that's almost never as easy as it should be when it comes to music apps. That, and the type of music it seems more geared toward I wasn't sure about how flexible that'd be - though I like your track start @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - a little darker sounding. Oh, plus I have GR16 and that doesn't get used enough as it is. Hmm. Thanks for making me think about spending more money! :p

• edited October 2018

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

Hi. Yes I’ve got sequence. And it looks like, if you set KEW to it’s ‘advanced’ midi setting - you should be able to sequence (multi channel) with Xequence.

I haven’t personally gone into Xequence recently and I’m not sure it’s a workflow I’d choose. For example, I don’t think KEW sends midi CC’s out, so you wouldn’t be able to record any knob twiddling as automation. But it might work for recording live from the master audio I guess.

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

Hi. Yes I’ve got sequence. And it looks like, if you set KEW to it’s ‘advanced’ midi setting - you should be able to sequence (multi channel) with Xequence.

You can, in Advanced MIDI mode, Synths are channels 1-8 and Drums are on channel 10,

I haven’t personally gone into Xequence recently and I’m not sure it’s a workflow I’d choose. For example, I don’t think KEW sends midi CC’s out, so you wouldn’t be able to record any knob twiddling as automation. But it might work for recording live from the master audio I guess.

as far as I can tell KEW is MIDi in only.

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

It should by rights be a gadget..

Korg will not make it so😔

• @mindscaper said:

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

Hey - @davis_korgrd - what are the chances of the Electribe Wave synth being sold as an IAP inside Gadget. I mean it must be easier to port over the code now you have it - and i'd personally be very happy to pay for this again, given it sounds so great. Plus I think some people who aren't interested in buying (another) standalone groovebox might be more inclined to buy another great synth for Gadget.

@mindscaper said:

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

Hey - @davis_korgrd - what are the chances of the Electribe Wave synth being sold as an IAP inside Gadget. I mean it must be easier to port over the code now you have it - and i'd personally be very happy to pay for this again, given it sounds so great. Plus I think some people who aren't interested in buying (another) standalone groovebox might be more inclined to buy another great synth for Gadget.

Don't encourage them.....Mac users will get it free and we on iOS will have to pay again even though we already bought Electribe Wave ? Is this really what you are suggesting ?

• I tripped off the fence backwards and found myself deep in Electribe Wave.

Wasn't expecting to, but the Buy button became strangely magnetic.

Having a fruitful time of it so far. No idea how some bits work. i.e. chord pads, do you have to make all your chords in the sequencer first? Finding inspiration in some of the limitations, frustration in others. That tempo selector delivers too much pain.

Am finding that I'm OK with the lack of sample import so far, an effect and pitch shifting on each individual drum along with sequenced parameters gives enough variety. Also finding that slowing everything down gives much more scope for exploring the noise making potential.

The limited sequencing will drive me gaga eventually, I reckon.

• edited October 2018

@Jocphone said:
    I tripped off the fence backwards and found myself deep in Electribe Wave.

Wasn't expecting to, but the Buy button became strangely magnetic.

Having a fruitful time of it so far. No idea how some bits work. i.e. chord pads, do you have to make all your chords in the sequencer first? Finding inspiration in some of the limitations, frustration in others. That tempo selector delivers too much pain.

Am finding that I'm OK with the lack of sample import so far, an effect and pitch shifting on each individual drum along with sequenced parameters gives enough variety. Also finding that slowing everything down gives much more scope for exploring the noise making potential.

The limited sequencing will drive me gaga eventually, I reckon.

You can make chords for all the chord pads with only one sequencer step, just keep changing that step, assign to a pad, and clear step when done if desired. Also if you tap on the notes directly in the sequencer you can preview that step/chord before assigning, which in conjunction with the keyboard, makes it really quick to experiment with the chords. Also don’t forget to save your chord sets with the root note of the scale you’re using to create them in the name, that way you’ll know how to transpose them for other patterns if needed

We're still working with the Electribe codebase, so you'll eventually be seeing some new stuff related to it.

• @davis_korgrd said:

We're still working with the Electribe codebase, so you'll eventually be seeing some new stuff related to it.

Awesome!!! Thanks!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@mindscaper said:

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

Don't encourage them.....Mac users will get it free and we on iOS will have to pay again even though we already bought Electribe Wave ? Is this really what you are suggesting ?

I am indeed suggesting that Korg make the Electribe Wave synth available in Gadget as an IAP. We’d pay money for it and Korg would get that money to compensate for porting it and maintaining it in Gadget. I want Korg to do well out of iOS so that they in turn keep developing great stuff for iOS.

That fact that Mac Gadget owners may or may not get it for free (I own it on a Mac too, but barely use it TBH) isn’t a particular bug bear for me personally. Good luck to them... But maybe Korg will start charging for new Gadgets on the desktop version too. Who knows. That wouldn’t bother me either.

@AndyPlankton said:

@mindscaper said:

@mindscaper said:

Yay!

I am indeed suggesting that Korg make the Electribe Wave synth available in Gadget as an IAP. We’d pay money for it and Korg would get that money to compensate for porting it and maintaining it in Gadget. I want Korg to do well out of iOS so that they in turn keep developing great stuff for iOS.

That fact that Mac Gadget owners may or may not get it for free (I own it on a Mac too, but barely use it TBH) isn’t a particular bug bear for me personally. Good luck to them... But maybe Korg will start charging for new Gadgets on the desktop version too. Who knows. That wouldn’t bother me either.

Korg won’t

Their method is to release standalone apps too

Ids10
    KEW
    IKaoscillator
    That other modular iPad only synth
    The original Electribe app

Usually they will make a gadget version on initial release of synths right?

• @mindscaper said:

Yes, but they did mention on here that they had discussed a Gadget version, which I think has given people hope ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@mindscaper said:

Yes, but they did mention on here that they had discussed a Gadget version, which I think has given people hope ;)

I saw that convo- korg just said they would pass the suggestion on

It won’t happen