Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MODSTEP

Hi there,

Stiil have a lot of questions concerning our beloved Modstep... :)

I've managed to use it with Cubasis. But now I'd love to sequence AU in AUM.

In Modstep I choose AUM and my channel and in AUM I check my midi routing with the grid (AUM Keyboard and modstep routed to Ripplemaker@ch1).

And it's not working at all. No sound.

Here's another question :

using Beathawk in Modstep as a AU, I'd love to send notes to different pads. But I only send it to one (The C note).

Maybe this last explaination is not easy to understand, let me know, I'll make screen captures.

thx !

Comments

• @kevkevkevz ‘activate’ the au in an Aum track by tapping on the left side of it (the three line icon) and selecting the midi source (Aum Destination).
    In beathawk, maybe ‘send to selected pad’. Depends on ‘keyboard’ or (all) pattern view, doesn’t it?
    In modstep, maybe engage ‘arm’ track.
    Cheers

• You actually have to route midi from AUM destination (virtual) on the top left of the midi routing grid to the desired instrument. You don't route modstep directly to it.

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

@8BitSamurai said:
    You actually have to route midi from AUM destination (virtual) on the top left of the midi routing grid to the desired instrument. You don't route modstep directly to it.

Depends. Whatever you have on one end you need to have the same on the other. You don't set "AUM" as the output in Modstep and then "Modstep" as the in put in AUM as you might expect. It should be "AUM" in in Modstep output and "AUM Desitination" in AUM Input.

Or "Modstep" in Modstep output and "Modstep" in AUM Input. The point is they have to agree on both ends.

• edited October 2018

Hello old thread!

Is there a way to make both X and Y work on the X/Y pad? Currently I can only select one... must be doing something wrong...

• Tap the secret Mod All.

• edited October 2018

@bleep said:
    Tap the secret Mod All.

(BIG HUG)

• @bleep thanks for the trick never found out before...

• edited October 2018

Why do this app rate so low on the App Store? Asking for a friend ...

• @kinkujin said:

I’m guessing some found the learning curve and or GUI an obstacle, some people are holding out for features, some await fixes?
    Not sure if anything needs fixing for my small use case, can’t think of features it needs, it’s not a bad GUI at all, and the learning curve wasn’t insurmountable. It is quite amazing actually. Or so friends have told me.

• OH Great and Mighty Modstep!! I beg thy forgiveness and promptly give you a five star rating *****. I was blinded by your magnificent radiance and in my ignorance lashed out at you when it was I who should have received mine own rage.

Today I realised this app is AWESOME.

• Glad you guys are seeing the light. It’s funny. Modstep is one of those apps that once you get it, it’s like manna from heaven. The team released something which is capable of so much good vibe goodness.

• @echoopera said:
    Glad you guys are seeing the light. It’s funny. Modstep is one of those apps that once you get it, it’s like manna from heaven. The team released something which is capable of so much good vibe goodness.

I gave it my initial impressions when I was more or less in a 'just on iOS phase' then kind of forgot about it. I think the big wtf issue for me was virtual midi didn't support separate midi channels or something crazy. Once I plugged it in to Massive with StutterEdit on desktop and started modulating stuff while playing along with Patterning and BM3, major eurekaville. In a weird way this has convinced me to get Patterning2. Oh jeez, back to the desk, but at least mouse and keyboard are massively minimized this way. :)

• Yeah. I love using it to sequence Ableton on the desktop. It’s a major piece of my sequencing workflow on iOS, macOS and hardware synths.

• edited October 2018

Funny I just went to update my app store review and it was already a glowing five stars and then i remembered what I was doing with it two years ago. OK, I'm just fucked.

• Hahah. Nah. We just too many options on iOS.

• Never! Just too few weekends in a life. :(

• edited October 2018

Yes this is very true. That’s why i try and squeeze things in during lunch...who needs an hour to eat?🤪🤫

• An hour! Damn brah, you workin in Narnia?

• @echoopera said:
    Yes this is very true. That’s why i try and squeeze things in during lunch...who needs an hour to eat?🤪🤫

• edited October 2018

@echoopera said:
    Glad you guys are seeing the light. It’s funny. Modstep is one of those apps that once you get it, it’s like manna from heaven. The team released something which is capable of so much good vibe goodness.

Agree. I wont say it didnt take me a few mins to figure out the ui, but it is fast and that is what I care about. Acess what you need in one click for most things. And it does some things no other app does now...full pattern arranger with tempo per part, time sig per part.

• @kinkujin said:

The low rating in the AppStore prevented me to buy this Sequencer so far. Many people complain that Modstep can be quite unstable and a lot of bugs which are not fixed. The last update was one year ago.

In the german AppStore ModStep is rated with just 2.5 Stars and the app is quite costly.

I think I would like the concept behind ModStep but what do you think about stability and bugs in Modstep?

• On iOS12 with the improved AUv3 memory management I've not had a single crash with ModSTEP!
    It was quite (ok very) shaky for me under iOS10 & iOS11 especially when hosting AUv3's...

• Never had a crash with Modstep through countless hours using it as a MIDI source. Rock solid as a MIDI sequencer and fully featured.

• edited October 2018

@chandroji said:

@kinkujin said:

The low rating in the AppStore prevented me to buy this Sequencer so far. Many people complain that Modstep can be quite unstable and a lot of bugs which are not fixed. The last update was one year ago.

In the german AppStore ModStep is rated with just 2.5 Stars and the app is quite costly.

I think I would like the concept behind ModStep but what do you think about stability and bugs in Modstep?

Tldr ....almost all my crashes ultimately seemed to be plugins other than Modstep, that I was using in Modstep.

First, I had trouble with IAA crashing. Was when I was brand new to iOS, tried to search re Modstep and the IAA plugs that were causing problems and a lot of posts pointed me more to those than Modstep itself.

Went to an all AU3 setup (with exception of Virsyn Audiolayer ((because I usually use the same sample set and this allows faster switching from Modstep via PC for songs) and Audiobus for recording)) and have only then had crashes when I overloaded the cpu as far as I can tell.

When I figured that out, Ive ditched a few Aus that had cpu spikes, and tested all to know approx cpu usage, and Ive had very few crashes now, like maybe 4 over dozens and dozens of hours of use. Those were probably cpu overload too, from non music apps I had open. Not sure though. My n= there is low, attempts to recreate the crashes there, tried like 20 times and couldnt get the crash again and gave up.

• edited October 2018

@Samu said:
    On iOS12 with the improved AUv3 memory management I've not had a single crash with ModSTEP!
    It was quite (ok very) shaky for me under iOS10 & iOS11 especially when hosting AUv3's...

Samu, can I bother you to tell me how much you've used Modstep in iOS12? And if youve been using it hosting AUs? I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 12 since Ive not heard from many people. And it is a crucial component for my duo.

• edited October 2018

Has the developer ever talked about the roadmap for this app? Is there a v2 in the works or will the original live on?

• yeah they posted a video of it triggering audio clips months ago, then nothing more after, not a developer i place much faith in for updates, very very slow, I suspect there is an amazing beta of this floating about, but im not holding my breath for the update.

• @Turntablist said:
    yeah they posted a video of it triggering audio clips months ago, then nothing more after, not a developer i place much faith in for updates, very very slow, I suspect there is an amazing beta of this floating about, but im not holding my breath for the update.

Now that Touchable Pro is live they probably will turn their attention back to the next modstep

• More likely they start updating Soda again, DJ apps have a big following on iPhone.

• @Turntablist said:
    yeah they posted a video of it triggering audio clips months ago, then nothing more after, not a developer i place much faith in for updates, very very slow, I suspect there is an amazing beta of this floating about, but im not holding my breath for the update.

Is there a link to the video? I thought I saw a screen shot that strongly suggested it was audio clips, but what you're describing is basically Ableton for iOS.