Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lets get specific with hardware

13»

Comments

• @crony said:
    Thanks guy, just rediscovering the H9...Really cool...But quite expensive...

Yes it is. I got the Core and ive only needed to buy 5 models. There are a lot of flavors that Id never use.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    , though I think maybe Meris's pedals might be the ones you want to port over, because the Strymon founder is now at Meris, and he apparently took the Strymon magic with him to the new company.

Woa. I had no idea.

• edited October 2018

@syrupcore said:

@DMan said:

@syrupcore said:
    Or... Find a used Kurzweil K2000. Bitch to program but sounds amazing and covers all of the categories quite well including great piano sample sets.

Noooooo! I’ve had 2 of these and a friend had another. They are quite prone to serious problems being so old. I used to gig with one in 2012. One completely fried one gig. Then I got another only to pray it would turn on every gig. My friend’s K2000 had some problem where any patch with aftertouch caused severe noise. Not bad at synths and 90’s sounding multi-samples but man VAST is convoluted! I considered the Pianos to be very poor quality by todays standard. Also be warned that you will need to find some kind of hard drive, compact flash storage, or similar to get any proper use from it.

Holy terrible! I've had a K2VX for 10 years or so. The backlight died but no problems otherwise. I don't gig with it though.

Jinxed myself apparently. Turned the K2VX on tonight and the internal SCSI drive is dead. Daaaaaamn it!

• edited October 2018

I personally think the Modal Skulpt synth will be the best bang for the buck in the $300 and under price range. The demo songs I've heard were stunningly impressive. (It's the most authentic sounding VA I've heard in the range)

Neutron I'd probably put at #2, if you like modular monos. I'm "possibly" going with Minibrute 2s following my Neutron entry into modular, or perhaps slowly piecemealing a euro system together 1 module at a time, starting with expert sleepers, for hybrid capability. (Reason 10 + all of the CV oriented rack extensions will provide limitless experimentation)

I always hear the Arturia recommended and enjoy the videos I've seen of the combo
    but now that Deepmind is less expensive than the Minibrute 2, I don't really see anything competing with that 12voice poly in the $500-600 range unless you already have poly covered and need mono.

I don't have the space or funds to buy gear with overlapping/redundant sound or purpose, so my next gear priority is finding something that best compliments the DM12 and Neutron, covering different sound pallet without duplicating too much of what the former can do.

• @syrupcore said:

@syrupcore said:

@DMan said:

@syrupcore said:
    Or... Find a used Kurzweil K2000. Bitch to program but sounds amazing and covers all of the categories quite well including great piano sample sets.

Noooooo! I’ve had 2 of these and a friend had another. They are quite prone to serious problems being so old. I used to gig with one in 2012. One completely fried one gig. Then I got another only to pray it would turn on every gig. My friend’s K2000 had some problem where any patch with aftertouch caused severe noise. Not bad at synths and 90’s sounding multi-samples but man VAST is convoluted! I considered the Pianos to be very poor quality by todays standard. Also be warned that you will need to find some kind of hard drive, compact flash storage, or similar to get any proper use from it.

Holy terrible! I've had a K2VX for 10 years or so. The backlight died but no problems otherwise. I don't gig with it though.

Jinxed myself apparently. Turned the K2VX on tonight and the internal SCSI drive is dead. Daaaaaamn it!

Wow, that won’t be easy to replace! I had a custom external SCSI Compact Flash reader it was so modern for that thing!! Sold it on eBay. Have you tried VAST Programmer? It was free editing software for Windows at least not sure if it worked for MAC. You could do editing and load programs into it, but you couldn’t load samples or anything. I was sorting through my Laptop files the other day and found the only track I ever made with it in “song mode” right before selling the K2000.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I personally think the Modal Skulpt synth will be the best bang for the buck in the $300 and under price range. The demo songs I've heard were stunningly impressive. (It's the most authentic sounding VA I've heard in the range)

I really like that it comes with it’s own case. I don’t need it, but it’s perfect for portable if I wasn’t just using an iPad.

• @DMan said:

@syrupcore said:

@syrupcore said:

@DMan said:

@syrupcore said:

Wow, that won’t be easy to replace! I had a custom external SCSI Compact Flash reader it was so modern for that thing!! Sold it on eBay. Have you tried VAST Programmer? It was free editing software for Windows at least not sure if it worked for MAC. You could do editing and load programs into it, but you couldn’t load samples or anything. I was sorting through my Laptop files the other day and found the only track I ever made with it in “song mode” right before selling the K2000.

Replacement shouldn't be too bad but I had lots of custom patches and tunes on it that ain't coming back.

Would love to go CF with it but haven't been able to justify the expense. Until now? :naughty:

• If you're lucky you may find a Microtech PCD-47B - they were used in early Kodak Digital Photostations and disposed when IDE took over.
    Those drives have a firmware write protection (to not accidently erase customer's cards) which renders them practically unusuable in original state. They can be flashed for full operation, though. I had one in my EMU Esi once, worked great.

• @syrupcore said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    , though I think maybe Meris's pedals might be the ones you want to port over, because the Strymon founder is now at Meris, and he apparently took the Strymon magic with him to the new company.

Woa. I had no idea.

Warning: listening to demos of Meris' Mercury7 reverb or Polymoon delay might ignite new GAS.

• edited October 2018

Thanks again folks - Lets talk a little about USB Mixers:

Which ones do you use and why do you like or unlike them? Would you go a different route? What is quality of DAC?

I see some from Yamaha, Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, Presonus and so forth. Goal for me would be to record Live send Aux Send to Guitar pedal with Aux Returns etc. Also would like ability to connect to IPAD and PC OR MAC (Future) .

I have eye on following:

Soundcraft MTK -22
    Zoom LiveTrack L-12
    Keith Mmillen K-MIX
    Presonous StudioLive AR 16
    Yamaha MG 16XU
    Allen and Heath ZEDI 10

Thanks!

• @StMichaels to me Allen and Heath ZEDI 10. Sounds crazy good, simple, cheap, robust, great support, and seems to do what you need...

• edited October 2018

I just ordered a Novation Ultranova (used) - mainly I wanted a few more keys than the 25 on the Akai MPKmini but don’t have space for the Nektar T4 49 key controller I was looking at. Hope it works out!

After a few months I might add a used tabletop analog mono synth (no keyboard) depending on what I feel would compliment it. So many to choose from!

• Waldorf Rocket
    • Behringer Model D
    • Novation Monostation
    • Moog Minitaur (bass only)
    • Roland SE-02
    • Pioneer AS-1 (w/Dave Smith)
    • Dave Smith Tetra
    • Waldorf Pulse 2

I have a lot of pc soft synths and a growing number on iOS as well. The Behringer D is almost as good as the real thing, but the iOS Model D app is pretty damned good... maybe good enough to scratch that one off. The Minitaur is a bass beast but that’s largely all it can do. Not sure how much $$ I’ll have so those synths have a range.

• @vitocorleone123 I'd go for a Roland SE-02.
    Model D is absolutely great, but super heavy CPU consuming.

• @crony said:
    @vitocorleone123 I'd go for a Roland SE-02.
    Model D is absolutely great, but super heavy CPU consuming.

Wow that SE-02 seems like I need to go check it out in person.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @samu. I haven't bought the MP11 yet. Just want to know what is possible. Recording to the USB does sound like a solution, except no midi track can be recorded along with it.
    I will take my iPad to the store and see if it will recognize it.

I would wager someone has sampled almost every hardware keyboard out there and it already exists as a kontakt library somewhere. I think that there are many ways to sample, and if one has the time to experiment, maybe it's possible to rent the gear you want to sample, or buy it and return it after sampling it. So you could sample coming directly out of the quarter inch outputs, transfer audio digitally if there is the option for USB audio out or even optical digital out if you have a device capable of receiving optical digital , like an audio interface with otpical ins and outs. Then there is the possibility of using a mic on the keyboard amp or speaker. It depends too on the application....if it's just for you for fun, you might not want to sample every key at 100 different velocities, but if you were trying to bring it to market for analog enthusiasts, the signal path and quality had better be pristine.

• Figured this be the perfect thread for my question, as i wait for the new ipads to release to get back into the music making universe.

Having been a beatmaker user in the past, loving it and the whole idea of ios music making, will it be a waste to also get a MPC live.

I recently became obsessed somewhat with the idea of picking a single tool for a job and sticking with it and in my mind even without the hands on experience with BM3 and the MPC live, i picture alot of overlap and given the cost of said devices have to be cautious of where money goes.

Thanks for any replies as it will be very helpful soon.

• The Roland SE-02 is so cute. I went and used one today that wasn't hooked to a keyboard (the step keys can trigger notes). Even smaller than expected, but I'm not a big guy to it wasn't too much of a challenge. Unfortunately, I can't currently find any others locally on my list. Oh, it sounded a LOT bigger than it is, of course!

• I told myself I’d get an MS-101 when they come out and if the price is right. That has kept me from buying any other hardware. For now...

• @anickt why don't you get an SH-01A ? Seems pretty cool :)

• The problem with the Roland Boutiques is none of them are USB class compliant, from what I can tell.

• edited October 2018

@StMichaels said:
    Thanks again folks - Lets talk a little about USB Mixers:

Which ones do you use and why do you like or unlike them? Would you go a different route? What is quality of DAC?

I see some from Yamaha, Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, Presonus and so forth. Goal for me would be to record Live send Aux Send to Guitar pedal with Aux Returns etc. Also would like ability to connect to IPAD and PC OR MAC (Future) .

I have eye on following:

Soundcraft MTK -22
    Zoom LiveTrack L-12
    Keith Mmillen K-MIX
    Presonous StudioLive AR 16
    Yamaha MG 16XU
    Allen and Heath ZEDI 10

Thanks!

Still thinking of Yamaha MODX which is a 4-in/10-out USB audio interface advertised to work with iPad - and by theyway it's also a powerful synth with great pianos - and possibly supplementing with Radial Key Largo, a little mixer that also has USB audio and an aux send/return.

• edited October 2018

@GovernorSilver ah...that's indeed an issue...(the non class compliant) I thought the newest boutique were class compliant...
    ModX is a total different beast...If you're into piano, rhodes, hammond, sounds great, if not...I'm not convinced with this price of a all in one machine. But it just doesn't fit my needs at all, so...

• edited October 2018

@crony said:
    @GovernorSilver ah...that's indeed an issue...(the non class compliant) I thought the newest boutique were class compliant...
    ModX is a total different beast...If you're into piano, rhodes, hammond, sounds great, if not...I'm not convinced with this price of a all in one machine. But it just doesn't fit my needs at all, so...

I only mentioned MODX because the OP said he wanted pianos and was into ambient/New Age stuff. And of course the iPad integration...

I like it for myself because I've always been into FM sounds, even when it was cool to hate on FM.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    The problem with the Roland Boutiques is none of them are USB class compliant, from what I can tell.

Classic Roland. Such a wasted opportunity...

The SE-02 is cool but in 2018 needing an external box to solve filter stepping is beyond a joke. Moog solved that over a decade ago!

• edited October 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:
    The Minitaur is a bass beast but that’s largely all it can do. Not sure how much $$ I’ll have so those synths have a range.

It can do a lot more than bass even though it's note range is limited.

• @crony said:
    @anickt why don't you get an SH-01A ? Seems pretty cool :)

The MS could be significantly cheaper and I’m poor! :D

• Thanks @bedheadproducer, but that is a bit much for me technically. I am more of a pay and play type.

• Perhaps it is out of the price bracket under discussion but the new prices for the Behringer DeepMind range are pretty amazing. I think the Deepmind 6 comes in at $499 now.

• @bennorland said:
    Perhaps it is out of the price bracket under discussion but the new prices for the Behringer DeepMind range are pretty amazing. I think the Deepmind 6 comes in at $499 now.

Yes that's a very good price. I am also intrigued by the Tascam 24 Mixer as seen here:

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/feature
    https://www.soundonsound.com/news/tascam-reveal-model-24-recorder-usb-interface-mixer

Looking for a nice mixer still for IPAD. This one looks great but little bit costly.