Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr

Hi there.

Can anyone who has it confirm that Samplr is still operating on iOS 12?
Is there something ‚more alive‘ that is equal to it?
Any real alternatives?
Is it still worth it?
Is it somewhat comparable to SoundFruuze?

Any informations welcome.

Comments

• Seems to be still working fine under iOS12.

I've never been fully 'friends' with Samplr due to lack of some features like being able to set the default 'record length'. I always stop the recording too late so I get an extra bar and there is no way to trim the recording...

• It works fine, though it instacrashes when I try to import a sample from AudioCopy, even though the sample is there when I reopen Samplr. It could definitely benefit from a maintenance update and Files App support.

• edited September 2018

@Beathoven said:
    It works fine, though it instacrashes when I try to import a sample from AudioCopy, even though the sample is there when I reopen Samplr. It could definitely benefit from a maintenance update and Files App support.

Sigh, Files would be nice ala Spacecraft style. Using Audioshare to send direct to Samplr works well though.

I heard a rumor/potential BS that the dev works for Apple now and cant update it due to their contract? Could be total BS, dunno,

• @Beathoven said:
    It works fine, though it instacrashes when I try to import a sample from AudioCopy, even though the sample is there when I reopen Samplr. It could definitely benefit from a maintenance update and Files App support.

AudioShare import still works though :)
    Many apps using old versions of AudioCopy SDK need an update...

• edited September 2018

There's been some talk here recently about trimming sections in Audioshare, which works surprisingly smooth.
    Imho SamplR is one of the IOS signature apps - if I hadn't the combo already I'd buy an iPad-2 and an Alesis ioDock (1st gen) anytime... just for SamplR B)

• @Telefunky said:
    There's been some talk here recently about trimming sections in Audioshare, which works surprisingly smooth.
    Imho SamplR is one of the IOS signature apps - if I hadn't the combo already I'd buy an iPad-2 and an Alesis ioDock (1st gen) anytime... just for SamplR B)

I just wish AudioShare would get improved sample-editing capabilities and a proper zoom...
    The long-tap for temporary zoom is honestly a pita and it doesn't zoom down to sample-level for super accurate trimming, zero-snap option is missing etc. etc. A 'bastard' between AudioCopy's sample-editor and AudioShare would be a very welcome 'tool' :)

• @Beathoven said:

it's always done that crash with Audiocopy - nothing new

• edited September 2018

@Halftone said:

@Beathoven said:

I just deleted AudioCopy. No more crashes :)

• @Samu said:

@Beathoven said:

I don’t seem to be able to “import” from AudioShare. I can “copy to” Samplr from AS; is that what you meant or do you know some stuff I don’t?

• @Halftone said:

@Beathoven said:

Ah, ok. I don’t usually use AudioCopy import. It’s only recently that I’ve been transferring loops/samples into Samplr. Previously I was recording sounds from whatever I could find straight into it. I love making music from random noises and Samplr is supreme at that.

• @Beathoven said:

@Samu said:

@Beathoven said:

I don’t seem to be able to “import” from AudioShare. I can “copy to” Samplr from AS; is that what you meant or do you know some stuff I don’t?

That’s what I meant.

• edited September 2018

@Samu said:

@Telefunky said:

I just wish AudioShare would get improved sample-editing capabilities and a proper zoom...
    The long-tap for temporary zoom is honestly a pita and it doesn't zoom down to sample-level for super accurate trimming, zero-snap option is missing etc. etc. A 'bastard' between AudioCopy's sample-editor and AudioShare would be a very welcome 'tool' :)

tbh I had similiar concerns on the long-tap zoom as well, but it works to an astonishing degree. Maybe not optimal (a delay and scale option in settings would be nice), but with some practize I get along with it quite well (though I'm extremely picking on that topic normally).
    Sidenote: it will remain a mystery to me forever why none of the IOS developers simply copied the functionality of Bias Peak (probably the most successful audio editor in Mac OS). o:)

• +1000 for Bias Peak.

• edited September 2018

@Telefunky said:

@Samu said:

@Telefunky said:

tbh I had similiar concerns on the long-tap zoom as well, but it works to an astonishing degree. Maybe not optimal (a delay and scale option in settings would be nice), but with some practize I get along with it quite well (though I'm extremely picking on that topic normally).
    Sidenote: it will remain a mystery to me forever why none of the IOS developers simply copied the functionality of Bias Peak (probably the most successful audio editor in Mac OS). o:)

It remains a mystery why AudioCopy still doesn’t support IAA even though it could as IMPC Pro uses what resembles AudioCopy. If @Retronyms were clued in to including that featured people wouldn’t require Audioshare because Audicopy, to their credit has superior sample editing...

Cubasis works well for loops, especially with the latest update. Lining up beats to the grid is now super accurate. Best of all you can process audio (and timestretch) in it and then share directly into other apps, or their Files directiories bypassing Audioshare in most cases.

• Samplr is still the biscuit and hard to imagine getting your degree without it.

• edited September 2018

@AudioGus said:

@Beathoven said:

Sigh, Files would be nice ala Spacecraft style. Using Audioshare to send direct to Samplr works well though.

I heard a rumor/potential BS that the dev works for Apple now and cant update it due to their contract? Could be total BS, dunno,

The Samplr developer, Marcos Alonso, definitely works at Apple now. He's on the interface team, working on iOS I believe. He recently presented some of his work at the following Apple dev conference.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/803/

Sadly, that probably confirms he's too busy to update Samplr.

• @AudioGus said:

By day, Marcos works for Apple on the OSX UX team. He is free to maintain Samplr, but his job is pretty demanding.

• As long as it keeps working I’m happy.

• edited September 2018

Samplr works on 12 as it did on 11.

To import samples use either iTunes (bulk) or open in from other apps.

Still waiting for link but using Samplr everyday despite temperamental tempo sync with other apps.

Edit. I know not of real alternatives. Last attempt was buying reslice. Complete fail.

• @anickt said:
    As long as it keeps working I’m happy.

iirc the developer stated he will keep maintaining it, so it runs on future IOS versions.
    SamplR has some limits, but no showstoppers - 1st of all it's got a great workflow.

• edited September 2018

Thanks ppl for letting me know! 👍
    Anyone having Samplr also using SoundFruuze?
    Comparabilities?

• edited September 2018

@Telefunky said:

@anickt said:
    As long as it keeps working I’m happy. :'(

iirc the developer stated he will keep maintaining it, so it runs on future IOS versions.
    SamplR has some limits, but no showstoppers - 1st of all it's got a great workflow.

Link is defo in the works. ETA 2023? ;) :o :'(

• Midifire is your best friend if you want to sync Samplr with your host app. It’s working fine on the latest iOS inside Cubasis. You need to create a local network sesssion to sync with your host apps.

• @supadom said:

@Telefunky said:

@anickt said:

I heard it was 2223.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@supadom said:

@Telefunky said:

@anickt said:

I heard it was 2223.

• In the year 2525...

• @anickt said:
    In the year 2525...

Depends who is doing the counting

• I just saw this tweet from Samplr in reply to Jakob Haq's sampler video:

• Oh, this is something.... uhhhh