Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro (now released!)

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    Agree, I think importing your own sounds is a nice feature but I feel this apps strengths are as a midi controller and so I hope it gets the maximum development potential here first. Paired with external synths and apps like AudioLayer give it the most potential for sound which internal sample importing aren’t going to be able to match.

Agree. If you are going to add anything, add more Midi CC controls

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:
    Agree, I think importing your own sounds is a nice feature but I feel this apps strengths are as a midi controller and so I hope it gets the maximum development potential here first. Paired with external synths and apps like AudioLayer give it the most potential for sound which internal sample importing aren’t going to be able to match.

+1

User assignable CC’s for both sliders and X&Y please 🤞

• @db909 said:

@ZlatansEgo said:

@Mark B said:
    This is an interesting app which is quite deep but still easy enough to get something musical playing. One thing I have not found any use for yet is the chord map. Maybe its because I'm an idiot at musical theory but the chords just seem fixed and do not represent the scale or key you are using. What I would like is some kind of intelligent musical chord sequences and the option for the other instruments to have a % of how much they play to the chord notes or play freely.

Same thing here though it might be down to user error

Really hope this isn’t the case. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm it was user error on my part. You can indeed set up a chord progression where you can trigger specific chords depending on the y position of your finger

It's really extremely customisable

• @cuscolima said:
    My first track with Gestrument pro. Pure fun to use

SO GOOOD!

• @Dchild said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

Pasting my reply to your comment on this from another thread:

This is actually something I do all the time with the app! If you go to instrument settings and scroll down to the MIDI section you’ll find one assignable cc per instrument. After choosing the cc value you can assign it to ”Cursor X”, ”Cursor Y”, ”Cursor Pressure”, any slider or any other control source you want. Unfortunately you can only add one cc per instrument at the moment, but by assigning more instruments to a cursor (or several cursors if that’s your thing), you get access to more assignable cc’s. This is something we’ll try to make a bit more flexible in future updates though.

Hot tip: In the ”Control source” menus you can set up custom scaling options for each parameter. This is especially interesting when using Cursor X/Y for parameter control. Not only does the scaling allow you to limit modulation ranges, but you can also use it to put the parameter’s ”zero value” in the center of the screen. For more information on this, please check out how I’ve set up the “Phase offset” parameter on every instrument in “Variable Phase Arpeggiator”.

• can't argue with more midi..... Duddits!!

• To everyone - I have been in touch with Apple and they are looking into all the issues with the pre-orders and the bundle issues. If anyone as an issue, contact Apple support and hopefully they will try to help you since they are now aware of the problems.

• @JesperNordin said:
    To everyone - I have been in touch with Apple and they are looking into all the issues with the pre-orders and the bundle issues. If anyone as an issue, contact Apple support and hopefully they will try to help you since they are now aware of the problems.

This is why I bought at the fantastic prerelease price - although I will say this one is worth full price and seems pretty rock solid at the moment :)

• By the way, if some of you haven't noticed yet... and, since I haven't seen this in action in any of the demo videos thus far...

When you hold down the loop button to record moving/playing the instrument node around the screen... you can ALSO record the sliders the same way. Just hold down the loop button and moved your sliders and that movement will get looped as well.

Not only that, but it works with changing your scales at the bottom. While playing, hold the loop button while changing scale selections... and that too will get recorded/looped. :)

• @gestrumentjonas said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:
    How many melodic sounds and how many drums/other sounds are included? I’m looking at this as a potential standalone groovebox

6 or so drum kits, with additional 6 or so separate drum sounds also. Most types of sounds are represented at least 15 pads, synths basses etc. Orchestral sounds are 30+.

Am curious about importing user instruments (sf2?) but more as a side issue: what I’m finding as I delve (I’m probably 12% in) is that this is another “What Just Happened” moment like when Rozeta met AUM.

As with the Rozeta suite, this is not a really a separate app, it’s integrated with AUM at a molecular level. It’s the sequencer and controller screen for AUM, as much as AUM is the mixer and multitrack recorder screen for Gestrument Pro. (With the AudioShare screen in there too)

So yes it’s a gas to sketch and play without the extra moving parts of an AUM scene, with generators, fx etc. But writing and performing in Gestrument vía an AUM scene feels exactly as transparent and free as working in standalone with the in-app voices
    It’s nuts
    And it’s universal

For importing you own sounds. the supported formats are EXS, AUPreset and Sf2. While we obviously could not bundle the app with those you can easily drop in all of Logic's EXS instrument in Itunes and they should play back fine. That said the internal sampler (AUSampler) has some odd quirks so stuff like LFOs and envelopes made in EXS24 might sound a bit different on AUSampler.

We've talked a lot about having a live sampler in which you can drop a wav or record with the mic, and that would be super fun. It is not super high on the list of features at the moment however.

Someone asked about changing the ADSR envelopes from within the app.. It could potentially be possible by assigning custom CC's in the EXS files and modulating those, but that also means that someone (i.e. myself) need to go through each and every sound and set up those changes. I think preferably we'd rather incorporate a real synthesizer into Gestrument instead of/in addition to the AUSampler. Then users could alter every aspect of the sound to their liking.

That said, you'll always get better sounds by using Gestrument as a MIDI instrument connected to whatever cool synths and hardware you have available. :)

Thanks for the reply (and big big thanks to you and the team for this mind blowing tool-)

I found the route via the Files App to drop my own sF2 in, which is fun (I have tons of fun sf2s) but what is blowing my mind is using GP inside AUM and using my IAA and AUv3 generators and fx.

• Having a lot of fun with this app. Here’s a little experiment with it sequencing Model D and Model 15 in AUM

• @Gestrumentsander said:

@Dchild said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

This is actually something I do all the time with the app! If you go to instrument settings and scroll down to the MIDI section you’ll find one assignable cc per instrument. After choosing the cc value you can assign it to ”Cursor X”, ”Cursor Y”, ”Cursor Pressure”, any slider or any other control source you want. Unfortunately you can only add one cc per instrument at the moment, but by assigning more instruments to a cursor (or several cursors if that’s your thing), you get access to more assignable cc’s. This is something we’ll try to make a bit more flexible in future updates though.

Hot tip: In the ”Control source” menus you can set up custom scaling options for each parameter. This is especially interesting when using Cursor X/Y for parameter control. Not only does the scaling allow you to limit modulation ranges, but you can also use it to put the parameter’s ”zero value” in the center of the screen. For more information on this, please check out how I’ve set up the “Phase offset” parameter on every instrument in “Variable Phase Arpeggiator”.

Great advice, Yes 4X instruments for each hardware device... Having lots of fun with this setup. I’ve fallen in love with this app

• Thanks @Dchild! Just curious, what hardware are you running with it? I’ve been having lots of fun controlling multi-timbral Synths like the ESQ-1 and DSI Tetr4 :)

• Update on the bundle issue - this is what Apple Support told us:

Hello Jesper,

My name is Elise, and I am a senior Advisor with Apple Developer Program Support. I have been given your case for review, and I am glad to assist you today.

First, in regard of your bundle, I did some research, and found that customers who previously purchased one or more apps in an app bundle can use the Complete My Bundle feature to adjust the bundle price adjusted to account for those previous purchases. You will find that information on the following link:

https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/deveaec374de

Please note that if your users are unable to adjust their bundle, they will need to contact iTunes.

• @Gestrumentsander said:

@Dchild said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

Thanks for the info on this, one thing I’m trying to figure out - can I have a second cursor controlling only midi cc’s rather than outputting notes?

Definitely +1 for more midi options. Would be great if in a future update ‘midi output’ was added under ‘midi control’ in the slider info panel

Keep up the great work!

• @Artefact2001 said:
    Bought today and it’s looking like a very promising purchase! I think my main use will be with external synths, am I right in understanding only 1 MIDI CC modulation channel per instrument, if so seems odd that you can’t reassign instrument parameters to MIDI CCs, let me know :)

Each instrument sends modwheel, panning, volume, and a custom CC. We will also add a toggle to make sliders and cursors send MIDI on their configured channels and CCs, not only receive.

• ‪Another day and another opportunity to experience the joy @j_liljedahl @JesperNordin creation brings to the soul

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Artefact2001 said:
    Bought today and it’s looking like a very promising purchase! I think my main use will be with external synths, am I right in understanding only 1 MIDI CC modulation channel per instrument, if so seems odd that you can’t reassign instrument parameters to MIDI CCs, let me know :)

Each instrument sends modwheel, panning, volume, and a custom CC. We will also add a toggle to make sliders and cursors send MIDI on their configured channels and CCs, not only receive.

@j_liljedahl Thank you, amazing news! Also didn't realise those parameters were also sending MIDI CC's, good times B)

• You’re killing it lately, Sir!!!
    Love your latest stuff, now the question that stand in the room like a pink elephant :) when will you post the first Gestrument KEW lovechild and finally convince me of grabbing KEW haha

@echoopera said:
    ‪Another day and another opportunity to experience the joy creation brings to the soul

• @david_2017 said:
    You’re killing it lately, Sir!!!
    Love your latest stuff, now the question that stand in the room like a pink elephant :) when will you post the first Gestrument KEW lovechild and finally convince me of grabbing KEW haha

@echoopera said:
    ‪Another day and another opportunity to experience the joy creation brings to the soul

Hahah...working on it as I type this :)

• Here's Gestrument sequencing some Korg Electribe Wave.

Soundcloud:

Youtube:

• To everyone - update on the bundle issue!

We know some people have had issues with this - mostly because they bought Gestrument as part of the bundle with ScaleGen. So now we have added a bundle which includes ScaleGen as well, and hope that it will be solved in this way. The AppStore support have been able to help some people where it has not worked even though they hadn’t bought Gestrument as part of the old bundle, so you might want to try talking with them. AppStore told us specifically that we didn’t need to add a separate bundle with ScaleGen, and that people would get the discount anyway, but it seems they were mistaken. Even they don’t understand the inner workings of the AppStore - it’s a bit of a mess! We have no control at all over the AppStore unfortunately…

Let’s hope it works out either with the new bundle (waiting for approval in the AppStore) or by contacting AppStore support!

• edited October 2018

Just bought the app. Is it possible to make patterns with different pitch or is it always the same per channel? Thanks.

• @david_2017 said:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
    Nice sounds @echoopera I'm thinking of buying the Gestrument Pro. When you used the Model D and 15 did your iPad struggle then? Mine always struggle when using Model 15 and D.

• Ah forget what I asked, it was a stupid question. Just have to set a slider to transpose and it runs pitches like a charm. This app is truly awesome.

• @Norbert said:
    Ah forget what I asked, it was a stupid question. Just have to set a slider to transpose and it runs pitches like a charm. This app is truly awesome.

Thanks! You can also set up "Transpose in Scale" to be modulated by "Random" and then use the "Via" function to control the range with a slider!

• @Norbert said:
    Ah forget what I asked, it was a stupid question. Just have to set a slider to transpose and it runs pitches like a charm. This app is truly awesome.

@Gestrumentsander said:

@Norbert said:

Thanks! You can also set up "Transpose in Scale" to be modulated by "Random" and then use the "Via" function to control the range with a slider!

Can we get some tutorials videos on these ‘advance’ features?

I know I have not touched the surface of the powerful app.. maybe some videos can help us explore even more..

Thanks..

• @marcuspresident said:

@david_2017 said:

Nice sounds @echoopera I'm thinking of buying the Gestrument Pro. When you used the Model D and 15 did your iPad struggle then? Mine always struggle when using Model 15 and D.

Thanks. Everything seems to run fine. I'm on a iPad Pro 10.5 for what it's worth.

• edited October 2018

I would have one little grip with the app actually though. It's the UI, the fonts especially, it doesn't have enough contrast. I wish the fonts were as sharp and crisp as in AUM. Gestrument Pro is one of these few apps I have to zoom in with ios in order to change parameters. I never need to do that in AUM, for example, even though the fonts are quite small.

• edited October 2018

@marcuspresident said:

@david_2017 said:

Have you upgraded to ios 12? And as well, do you put your ipad into airplane mode when using model 15? Cause they advice to do so in the manual, as model 15 is thread hungry.