Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro (now released!)

Comments

• edited September 2018

@Jocphone said:
    I'm a bit non-plussed by the examples and my own feeble attempts so far. Don't see much apart from a re-jig of the interface over the previous Gestrument but I suspect that I may need a bit of instructional input and a few deeper dives into the new capabilities, whatever they are..

Did you take a look at Tim’s vid? Found that helpful/eye opening etc.

• This app now has the highest commendation...my wife likes it.

Here's my first experiments.
    This one is trying out randomness in the transpose to create chords from grouped instruments.

And this is a more complex performance.

• @j_liljedahl @JesperNordin When a loop has been recorded and the cursors are moving can you record small variations to that loop movement, like moving it up a note here or there, and have it record that and then snap back to the previously recorded gestures? Or do you always have to record an entirely new loop?

• @db909 - you have to record a new loop, but you can always play on it while it's looping and very it in that way. We have many ideas about how to affect recorded loops, but I think they will take us a while before we can implement them...

• edited September 2018

@JesperNordin said:
    @db909 - you have to record a new loop, but you can always play on it while it's looping and very it in that way. We have many ideas about how to affect recorded loops, but I think they will take us a while before we can implement them...

Ok cool. Well if you’re thinking on that, would be great to be able to have the loop going in say, a fixed length, 4 bars perhaps, and then to vary it, all we have to do is simply touch the cursor in a different place, and that is recorded, and once the finger is lifted, the cursor snaps back to the rest of the previously recorded movement. Would be a lot of fun and a very easy experience. Like the cursors in umm, iKaossilator

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Jocphone said:
    I'm a bit non-plussed by the examples and my own feeble attempts so far. Don't see much apart from a re-jig of the interface over the previous Gestrument but I suspect that I may need a bit of instructional input and a few deeper dives into the new capabilities, whatever they are..

Should also add that Sir Doug has almost half an hour up on Patreon that is very good....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Jocphone said:

Should also add that Sir Doug has almost half an hour up on Patreon that is very good....

Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear

Will peruse those at my leisure. Are you finding anything to bolster your repertoire with?

• I've found the good old 'just playing and exploring' has done more to pique my interest than the videos. My initial thoughts were 'that's it?', but it takes some time to wield and get good results. I like it the more I use it.

• edited September 2018

@Mark B said:
    This app now has the highest commendation...my wife likes it.

Here's my first experiments.
    This one is trying out randomness in the transpose to create chords from grouped instruments.

And this is a more complex performance.

The beauty with this app is, you can transpose ANY patch to fit any KEY/SCALE of a project.. that said..
    I won’t mind spending a few bucks on IAPs for excellent patches like these.. Can only imagine drum and bass added to the ‘complex performance’..

Excellent..

• This seems ripe for IAP instrument packs

• I like the included sounds, but I really enjoy just using it as a midi controller in AUM so far. To me, it gets it out of the sandbox where everything sounds like the app. Looking forward to an update of the chord map setting, so that it follows the scale.

• Bought today and it’s looking like a very promising purchase! I think my main use will be with external synths, am I right in understanding only 1 MIDI CC modulation channel per instrument, if so seems odd that you can’t reassign instrument parameters to MIDI CCs, let me know :)

• Upgrade Bundle price is still showing as more expensive than regular price (Bundle $18.99, GP by itself $16.99)

• How many melodic sounds and how many drums/other sounds are included? I’m looking at this as a potential standalone groovebox

• @JonLewis said:
    Upgrade Bundle price is still showing as more expensive than regular price (Bundle $18.99, GP by itself $16.99)

Same here. I’m pretty sure I didn’t get the original version for -£2.

• @Artefact2001 said:
    Bought today and it’s looking like a very promising purchase! I think my main use will be with external synths, am I right in understanding only 1 MIDI CC modulation channel per instrument, if so seems odd that you can’t reassign instrument parameters to MIDI CCs, let me know :)

Yep, only One assignable midi CC, but I don’t tend to use lots of the 16 tabs, so I’ve been using some to send CCs

• edited September 2018

@db909 said:
    How many melodic sounds and how many drums/other sounds are included? I’m looking at this as a potential standalone groovebox

6 or so drum kits, with additional 6 or so separate drum sounds also. Most types of sounds are represented at least 15 pads, synths basses etc. Orchestral sounds are 30+.

Am curious about importing user instruments (sf2?) but more as a side issue: what I’m finding as I delve (I’m probably 12% in) is that this is another “What Just Happened” moment like when Rozeta met AUM.

As with the Rozeta suite, this is not a really a separate app, it’s integrated with AUM at a molecular level. It’s the sequencer and controller screen for AUM, as much as AUM is the mixer and multitrack recorder screen for Gestrument Pro. (With the AudioShare screen in there too)

So yes it’s a gas to sketch and play without the extra moving parts of an AUM scene, with generators, fx etc. But writing and performing in Gestrument vía an AUM scene feels exactly as transparent and free as working in standalone with the in-app voices
    It’s nuts
    And it’s universal

• I truly truly truly love this app:
    Here’s a quick little jam using some built in sounds and a lot of effects in AUM:

• This is way fun !
    Anyway to adjust the asdr of the internal instrument sounds ?

• edited September 2018

@db909 said:
    How many melodic sounds and how many drums/other sounds are included? I’m looking at this as a potential standalone groovebox

my friend you and I should have jumped on that intro price!

• @Mark B said:
    This is an interesting app which is quite deep but still easy enough to get something musical playing. One thing I have not found any use for yet is the chord map. Maybe its because I'm an idiot at musical theory but the chords just seem fixed and do not represent the scale or key you are using. What I would like is some kind of intelligent musical chord sequences and the option for the other instruments to have a % of how much they play to the chord notes or play freely.

Same thing here though it might be down to user error

• @Mark B said:
    This is an interesting app which is quite deep but still easy enough to get something musical playing. One thing I have not found any use for yet is the chord map. Maybe its because I'm an idiot at musical theory but the chords just seem fixed and do not represent the scale or key you are using. What I would like is some kind of intelligent musical chord sequences and the option for the other instruments to have a % of how much they play to the chord notes or play freely.

• @kobamoto said:

@db909 said:

my friend you and I should have jumped on that intro price!

Wish I wouldve. But I still need to know how many sounds. Videos look awesome though

• @ZlatansEgo said:

@Mark B said:

Really hope this isn’t the case. Can anyone confirm?

• edited September 2018

Nothing too deep here but this is my first gestrument jam using external synths hosted in Aum and recorded into audioshare.
    moog model 15 , audio kit synth one, synthmaster one...
    Going to build and improv on it later, here's the raw un mixed audio 🙂

• Same track ran thru grand finale in the car via Bluetooth.... Testing the app
    ... Better or way worse 😂

• @Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

6 or so drum kits, with additional 6 or so separate drum sounds also. Most types of sounds are represented at least 15 pads, synths basses etc. Orchestral sounds are 30+.

Am curious about importing user instruments (sf2?) but more as a side issue: what I’m finding as I delve (I’m probably 12% in) is that this is another “What Just Happened” moment like when Rozeta met AUM.

As with the Rozeta suite, this is not a really a separate app, it’s integrated with AUM at a molecular level. It’s the sequencer and controller screen for AUM, as much as AUM is the mixer and multitrack recorder screen for Gestrument Pro. (With the AudioShare screen in there too)

So yes it’s a gas to sketch and play without the extra moving parts of an AUM scene, with generators, fx etc. But writing and performing in Gestrument vía an AUM scene feels exactly as transparent and free as working in standalone with the in-app voices
    It’s nuts
    And it’s universal

Insightful post. Background audio? Not a problem if you are hosting in AUM.

• edited September 2018

Well sample import is already on the roadmap but how interesting would it be to implement a sample slicer.... that would be a first for an app like this, personally I’d ❤️ It. This app already looks like it might be a champ for making sample fodder.

• edited September 2018

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

It’s nuts
    And it’s universal

For importing you own sounds. the supported formats are EXS, AUPreset and Sf2. While we obviously could not bundle the app with those you can easily drop in all of Logic's EXS instrument in Itunes and they should play back fine. That said the internal sampler (AUSampler) has some odd quirks so stuff like LFOs and envelopes made in EXS24 might sound a bit different on AUSampler.

We've talked a lot about having a live sampler in which you can drop a wav or record with the mic, and that would be super fun. It is not super high on the list of features at the moment however.

Someone asked about changing the ADSR envelopes from within the app.. It could potentially be possible by assigning custom CC's in the EXS files and modulating those, but that also means that someone (i.e. myself) need to go through each and every sound and set up those changes. I think preferably we'd rather incorporate a real synthesizer into Gestrument instead of/in addition to the AUSampler. Then users could alter every aspect of the sound to their liking.

That said, you'll always get better sounds by using Gestrument as a MIDI instrument connected to whatever cool synths and hardware you have available. :)

• Agree, I think importing your own sounds is a nice feature but I feel this apps strengths are as a midi controller and so I hope it gets the maximum development potential here first. Paired with external synths and apps like AudioLayer give it the most potential for sound which internal sample importing aren’t going to be able to match.