Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro (now released!)

Comments

• I suppose the bundle offer will come soon?

• edited September 2018

10pm in Chicago, big press conference/presentation first thing. Working in the hotel room and just saw this pop up. Going to need extra coffee come the morning..... any good vid Tuts yet?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    10pm in Chicago, big press conference/presentation first thing. Working in the hotel room and just saw this pop up. Going to need extra coffee come the morning..... any good vid Tuts yet?

I found going through the presets to see how they’re set up to be very informative. The in-app guide is very good too.

• edited September 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

You Probably saw this - some exciting things are definitely happening here -

Enjoy Chicago, ‘twas my beloved ‘69 - ‘86 and even now from afar.

As for the app, which showed up here a bit ago talk about that holyshitBatmanfeeling, cripes: Really

• Gentlemen, thank you so much. Late night man salutes you. Early morning man can fight his own corner....

• I like it. Faithful to the original, but so much more in terms of musical control.

• I skipped the original but I like this, it has depth.

Just been playing with the internal sounds, layering it up will be a blast.

Yes, presets good for a self-guided tutorial.

• Wondering if it is good or bad for my tennis (mouse) elbow....

• @Jes said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

Ah, that would explain it. I mean, it's already Thursday or something in Australia, right?

ummm..friday I think...🤪. i dunno...im just having a blast with this app...first impressions...awesome..but i would like to see delay on each instrument as a possibility..sounds seem to drop out unnaturally quickly on release of finger ...

Actually pumping up the Global Reverb decay helps a bit with this, but it is Global

But you have individual dry/wet mix on each instrument for the reverb :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Jes said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

Ah, that would explain it. I mean, it's already Thursday or something in Australia, right?

ummm..friday I think...🤪. i dunno...im just having a blast with this app...first impressions...awesome..but i would like to see delay on each instrument as a possibility..sounds seem to drop out unnaturally quickly on release of finger ...

Actually pumping up the Global Reverb decay helps a bit with this, but it is Global

First let me congratulate on a lovely instrument - this will soak up many hours of exploration :)

Second, I’ve found a repeatable bug, where do I report this?

Well done Sir, this does indeed look like a step up on the first one :)

• @Satie said:
    Wondering if it is good or bad for my tennis (mouse) elbow....

Depends on the size of your iPad

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Jes said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

First let me congratulate on a lovely instrument - this will soak up many hours of exploration :)

Second, I’ve found a repeatable bug, where do I report this?

Well done Sir, this does indeed look like a step up on the first one :)

Thanks! :)
    Please report bugs to [email protected]

• @[Deleted User] said:

@reasOne said:
    I don't really know what this app does totally, like if each circle can midi control any of my iOS synths or if it's sample based or internal instruments only... But...i pre ordered it anyway based on the hype and price LOL

It does both :smile:

What he said! When I started using the app I thought that I would only be using it with my hardware stuff, but as the app developed I've found myself using the built-in sounds more and more (along with my hardware of course).

• @dreamrobe - I have submitted the bundle, but since it's not possible to do it until the app is live, there will be a little delay.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I think my favorite was "holyshitBatmanfeeling, cripes: Really" @Littlewoodg

Someone said before we were three from the dev team here - but now @Gestrumentsander is here as well so that makes us four;-)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Jes said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

Oh I see, I hadnt got there yet.
    Congratulations on a fantastic app !
    It had my girlfriend belly dancing at breakfast time to one of the presets I had modded a bit!

• This really is a stunning app so far. The accessibility of the scales and the looping really makes all sorts possible for us with (ehem) lesser technique :p

• @Jes said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Jes said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

Oh I see, I hadnt got there yet.
    Congratulations on a fantastic app !
    It had my girlfriend belly dancing at breakfast time to one of the presets I had modded a bit!

So it was worth it then! Good to hear :)

• It works so well with AUM.....Almost like they were made by the same dev haha ;)

• @Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Tutorials are coming!

In the meantime, here's a compilation of a few AHA-moments I had while learning to use Gestrument Pro

X/Y controlling more than rhythm and pitch
    Moving away from the more traditional Gestrument approach where X controls rhythm and Y controls pitch was super helpful in yielding interesting patches for me. By mapping different parameters to the X/Y axes every preset becomes a custom instrument made for the specific purpose of performing the piece you're writing. To me, this is one of the things that makes the "Variable phase arpeggiator" special. In that preset I mapped panning and phase shift to the X axis and reverb wet/dry to the Y axis.

Use it like you want
    Cards on the table, I'm a huge eurorack nut. I'm obsessed with self-playing patches and making random sources sound like planned musical events. When I first started using Gestrument Pro, I looked at it like the normal instruments that I was taught to play when I first started playing music, but for me something really clicked when I started looking at it more from a modular point of view. I started creating more complex webs of modulation generating rhythms, melodies and modulation in ways similar to how I use my Eurorack system. The "Grooveboxing" is my clearest example of this, where I've used random sources connected to “Legato Probability” and Transpose In Scale to generate different rhythms and melodies. Viewing Gestrument Pro in this light really made me more comfortable using the app as my own custom instrument.

Modulation sources, sliders and Via
    The modulation options in Gestrument Pro are really awesome. Not only can you connect sliders/modulation to nearly every instrument parameter in the app, but you can customize their behavior in the Control Source screen. For examples on this, check out how I've set up the Phase Shift parameter in Variable Phase Arpeggiator. My absolute favourite modulation feature is Via, especially when they're controlling Rhythms and Pitch. For more examples on how this can be used, check out sliders 1 and 2 in Grooveboxing and how they're connected to the Bass instrument (which is actually a heavily distorted 808 Tom).

Hope this helps get you started while we finish the tutorials!

• Downloaded. Bewildered.

• @Gestrumentsander said:

@Jes said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jes said:

@Frenq said:
    Not here yet

in Australia....

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Tutorials are coming!

In the meantime, here's a compilation of a few AHA-moments I had while learning to use Gestrument Pro

X/Y controlling more than rhythm and pitch
    Moving away from the more traditional Gestrument approach where X controls rhythm and Y controls pitch was super helpful in yielding interesting patches for me. By mapping different parameters to the X/Y axes every preset becomes a custom instrument made for the specific purpose of performing the piece you're writing. To me, this is one of the things that makes the "Variable phase arpeggiator" special. In that preset I mapped panning and phase shift to the X axis and reverb wet/dry to the Y axis.

Use it like you want
    Cards on the table, I'm a huge eurorack nut. I'm obsessed with self-playing patches and making random sources sound like planned musical events. When I first started using Gestrument Pro, I looked at it like the normal instruments that I was taught to play when I first started playing music, but for me something really clicked when I started looking at it more from a modular point of view. I started creating more complex webs of modulation generating rhythms, melodies and modulation in ways similar to how I use my Eurorack system. The "Grooveboxing" is my clearest example of this, where I've used random sources connected to “Legato Probability” and Transpose In Scale to generate different rhythms and melodies. Viewing Gestrument Pro in this light really made me more comfortable using the app as my own custom instrument.

Modulation sources, sliders and Via
    The modulation options in Gestrument Pro are really awesome. Not only can you connect sliders/modulation to nearly every instrument parameter in the app, but you can customize their behavior in the Control Source screen. For examples on this, check out how I've set up the Phase Shift parameter in Variable Phase Arpeggiator. My absolute favourite modulation feature is Via, especially when they're controlling Rhythms and Pitch. For more examples on how this can be used, check out sliders 1 and 2 in Grooveboxing and how they're connected to the Bass instrument (which is actually a heavily distorted 808 Tom).

Hope this helps get you started while we finish the tutorials!

This is an excellent collection of advice after one settles in with the app. I rarely read the manual with an iOS app but doing so with this app paid off. Then, deconstructing the presets turned on all the lights for me. And yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the variable phrase arpeggiator was the patch that blew my mind regarding the possibilities. Congrats on the release!

• Do we have a video of the variable phrase arp in action?

I kind of didn't use the original Gestrument enough, so I didn't jump on the pre-sale. How is the bundled price in comparison? On the fence for now, but a nice phrase arp video might change that.

• Wow 😮 Amazing app fine gentlemen! It feels so easy to move around, effortless. I can see this being the musical hub I’ve been waiting to feed my hardware. Great job!

• @Jocphone said:
    Downloaded. Bewildered.

Yep, I think that video tutorials are definitely needed for this one!

• Thanks @Dchild!

For everyone asking - video tutorials will come, both from us and others.

@bleep - here is the AppStore preview with the mentioned preset being the first one. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j5Qm6d8UAD-3L0rY0f4azfYyYp_aL-rt

• Thanks, that preset did sound good. The UI made me think of good old Jasuto.

• Bring on the bundle!

• Congrats.... very nice...

• People have been asking for the manual online instead of just in-app - so here it is!

https://gestrument.com/userguide/

• While in beta, I played with it besides the original one. Gestrument Pro is more intuitive, easier to start a patch from scratch and way more powerful. This is totally worth full price, but I gotta admit I was anxious and got the pre-order :lol: