Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - September 2018

Comments

• @Denzkps said:

Cool DnB track..... At the beginning I thought..... "Maybe, you have made a "King Tubby" Dub track?"... Then the beats kicked in..... But still..... this would of made a good Dub track too... Nice one mate. ;)

• @Denzkps Nice vibe! Great flow :) love me some drum and bass / neuro

• @Denzkps said:

Really solid and completed. No complaints. Nice track!

• edited September 2018

Ok haven’t posted here in years, honestly I feel like the quality of songs posted is so professional that I’m intimidated to post, but then I figured what the heck. Really from the richardyot’s first track on down every tune this month is awesome! Congrats to each of you.
    This is a one-take on all tracks and opened up the Mic not knowing what I was going to sing, lyrics or melody so there’s that. It’s about my 14-month old daughter making up an original name for me because she wants to call me “Da Da” & “Daddy” at the same time. I was too thrilled not to sing.

• @Denzkps nice Metalheads explicit graphic ! :) I love the intro, the sound is globally quite nice, good production. One critic would be on originality of the track, but still, nicely done.

@NoiseHorse the production is quite okay, I have just a "problem" with the structure not very clear to me intro/verse/chorus a bit on the same level, then voice is really out of tune sometimes (and sometimes not ! )
    You should make more takes to push it further.
    Very hard to sing, then post here, so congrats for doing so !

• edited September 2018

wipes sweat from brow

This was a BEAST for my limited mixing skills - 3 weeks went by while struggling with it on and off. I created the original track all in Gadget over the course of a couple months, then swapped out a keyboard sound for a guitar sample (which I then distorted) on the PC and the rest is history (thankfully!). From there, I went on to focus the song on the guitar - and added funky horns, of course - and then transfer files regularly off the phone to the PC. What a struggle. Then, I finally finish the song, and spend a week beating my head against the wall to the point I had to put it down for a whole other week and not listen to it. I couldn't make the "mashed" kick and snare from Gladstone sound good with the mix. So after I picked it back up I swapped those out on the PC for entirely new sounds, and then it was... mostly easier. It still took me another week, but I can finally let go because it's done enough and good enough, and move on.

Finally, thanks to Chris Randall (now of Audio Damage), whose album, [R]evolution, by Sister Machine Gun was clearly an inspiration to my subconscious almost 20 years on. What a gift. Wish I could sing like him B)

https://soundcloud.com/profile4djs/superflux

• edited September 2018

@richardyot Very cool song, tonally and content. Definitely liked it. I clearly need to study drumming, because yours sound like the real deal. I thought the chords on the organ sounded nice and really fit with the song. I also liked the (somewhat unexpected) warped strings in the intro. They were so distinctive, I wanted them to come back later in the song, maybe at the end, but then was wondering if that'd be too much of a good thing and ended up unsure.

@obijohn I got it. I didn't think the transitions were overly abrupt at all. I liked the dramatic lower pitched synth. I actually liked the ebb and flow of it. I think that to keep it the same length as a stand-alone song, it needed just a little bit more variation - take an instrument away, add something new, etc. Not much. Just a little toward the 3/4 mark. Interested in hearing more.

@icsleepers Oh wow, where do you get such great vocals? I really need to start trying to add vocals into one of my future projects. The human voice so easily holds our attention :smile: Good stuff. Another chill track that actually went pretty well with @richardyot's. As good as the rhythm section was, I did wish they ended up with a little more "heft" and "depth" to go with the rest of the song that was pretty smooth, even with the glitches. Maybe more reverb alone would do it? I was ok with the glitches, though the last one sounded a little squelchy - maybe just turn them down a few db?

• @wahidovic said:
    how can i post my songs
    Just 1 tunes up there so far - there will be more!

SoundCloud or Dropbox are the best options. SoundCloud works well because you have an inline player inside your posts, you just need to create a free account on SC and upload your tracks there, then just post the links in the forum.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    @icsleepers Oh wow, where do you get such great vocals? I really need to start trying to add vocals into one of my future projects. The human voice so easily holds our attention :smile: Good stuff. Another chill track that actually went pretty well with @richardyot's. As good as the rhythm section was, I did wish they ended up with a little more "heft" and "depth" to go with the rest of the song that was pretty smooth, even with the glitches. Maybe more reverb alone would do it? I was ok with the glitches, though the last one sounded a little squelchy - maybe just turn them down a few db?

Thanks Vito! They're from various sample packs on Blocs Wave or Launchpad, I can't remember which exactly. One of them was newer. I really would like to try to record my own vocals but it's tough because 1) I'm not a great writer really and 2) I've got no time when home to work on this stuff cause I've got two pretty young kids running around.

I spent more time fussing with Gadget's grain shift then I did writing some of the tracks on this EP - definitely going to try to tone it down a bit next time around. It came together VERY fast. I'm spent now though lol... well, for now....

• @crony Whoah - love that slinky, dirty industrial groove. Vocals, too. On first listen, I wasn't sure which way it'd go after the first "verse"... it could easily have gone soaring in the chorus for contrast or it could keep powering through with the retro funkiness. I liked it a lot, but did find myself wanting even more variation (perhaps just retro synth noises/sweeps/hits?) toward the late middle.

@studs1966 Another track with a little strut and slink, but now with added bounce. And horns! Damn! Are we all sure we didn't collaborate on an overall theme this month? :) I like the chords on the electric piano and the filter sweep around 3:20. If I had to pick anything, I think the lead repetition was all good, but then I wish the backup "whoah oh whoah oh" maybe had a little more variation right to help drive it home at the last via some sample chopping/manipulation/automation.

@Eriko It's very smooth inside the glass marble and the track rolled along very peacefully. This one and @icsleepers kind of go together as well somehow in my head. I'll skip trying to think of something about the composition and say that, while I wouldn't want sharp edges in the marble, I did wonder if a few bright sparkles here and there could add more texture - perhaps via mixing and eq in the production rather than the composition?

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    @crony Whoah - love that slinky, dirty industrial groove. Vocals, too. On first listen, I wasn't sure which way it'd go after the first "verse"... it could easily have gone soaring in the chorus for contrast or it could keep powering through with the retro funkiness. I liked it a lot, but did find myself wanting even more variation (perhaps just retro synth noises/sweeps/hits?) toward the late middle.

@studs1966 Another track with a little strut and slink, but now with added bounce. And horns! Damn! Are we all sure we didn't collaborate on an overall theme this month? :) I like the chords on the electric piano and the filter sweep around 3:20. If I had to pick anything, I think the lead repetition was all good, but then I wish the backup "whoah oh whoah oh" maybe had a little more variation right to help drive it home at the last via some sample chopping/manipulation/automation.

@Eriko It's very smooth inside the glass marble and the track rolled along very peacefully. This one and @icsleepers kind of go together as well somehow in my head. I'll skip trying to think of something about the composition and say that, while I wouldn't want sharp edges in the marble, I did wonder if a few bright sparkles here and there could add more texture - perhaps via mixing and eq in the production rather than the composition?

Well said, thanks for the feedback. That’s so hard, to spice up a composition once more when all is already set. But I should attempt it, you are right.

• @Denzkps I liked how the DnB song title really set the stage and the song delivered on it. I liked the little vibrato bird-like synth and also the long breakdown. Good stuff. I suspect this was made on iOS so this probably is impossible, but I kinda wish the tempo had increased toward the end, as if running faster.

@NoiseHorse Your singing voice is good, though, as mentioned, some work on singing in tune could really make it shine. And, let's face it, most people here - myself very much included! - wouldn't be bold enough to try. Bravo. I also love the inspiration. I think you should keep posting. I've found it IS a bit of pressure, given the consistent quality of some posters, but you might find it helpful to keep pushing you to produce and try things, like I do. I take the pressure off by not posting every month, because I know I just can't produce that quickly. But I aim for every 3 months, for example, which is still a LOT faster than ever before. More, please!

• Thank you all! The track was completely made on iOs in Auria Pro Ipad 12.9 (2016). Plus synthesizers: Twin2, DRC, Tardigrain, LayR, UWI Beathawk. And some free samples from Wave Alchemy.

• @NoiseHorse Your singing voice is good, though, as mentioned, some work on singing in tune could really make it shine. And, let's face it, most people here - myself very much included! - wouldn't be bold enough to try. Bravo. I also love the inspiration. I think you should keep posting. I've found it IS a bit of pressure, given the consistent quality of some posters, but you might find it helpful to keep pushing you to produce and try things, like I do. I take the pressure off by not posting every month, because I know I just can't produce that quickly. But I aim for every 3 months, for example, which is still a LOT faster than ever before. More, please!

Thanks for your encouragement. I realize this thread is more to show great mixing and use of sounds. Mine was recorded overly simple because it was meant for the ears of an 18 month old. I’ll try to post something a little more technical and grown up next month. If I still have that kind of material in me. And I’ll do a better job specifically commenting on tracks.

• @mjcouche Elastic Drum is being used, but not so much (just a snare and a kick) then I'm using RuisFM and also the Arturia Drum Brute Impact, then effects...Turnado and Effectrix mostly.

@vitocorleone123 I love the beat production, guitar parts, but I'm not crazy about the lead synth in the beginning.
    I would keep it more rock'n'roll as it becomes.
    Not sure about the horns, seems out the track to me.
    But then, the riff guitars : YEAH !
    The horns on the break are cool. Then, synths, leads, and riffs, seems not belonging to this track.
    Keep it simple, go straight to the guitars ! Make it shorter, more efficient.
    About my track, I'll see what remix brings, might be additional synths, TB303 stuffs, I don't know, but I'm working on something new now...So, surely yes, but later !

Also, I've done a more "masterised" version (hopefully :D) , and a bit longer, available here:
    https://choon.co/tracks/6acu3frmoh/the-futur/

• @crony this one is probably a bit too gritty for me, good job on the menacing atmosphere though.

• @studs1966 Nice summery vibe again, is it always summer in your part of the world? ;) The vocal sample is really nice, and the way the track flows around it works very well. The OoohOooahs are particularly good. Maybe the percussion is a tad busy, but it all grooves along nicely.

• @Eriko Good chilled track, the keys are particularly beguiling, although it would have been nice to hear them developed a little more - the riff is nice but could have done with some variation or evolution. The background synths offer a very pleasing counterpoint, with a subtle counter-melody which I really liked.

The second part really blossoms nicely, the very sparse lead is just enough to hook you in (but again I think the melody could have been developed just a little more, with some tension and resolution).

The track creates an enticing atmosphere and there are some really effective subtly applied musical ideas in there.

• @mjcouche Wow the vocal intro is outstanding, some excellent harmony singing. Your voice is really good, you should definitely get back to writing songs, it would be a shame to let a voice like that go to waste.

The track itself is great: good melodies, excellent guitar performances, well constructed with peaks and troughs and lots of interesting musical elements and a nicely varied vocal melody that carries the listener all the way through the song (and I like the guitar that tracks with the voice). Great job, now get writing some new ones!

• @Denzkps This is a really great bit of drum and bass: the bassline is killer and makes the whole track. The spiky synths that weave around it are also very well crafted, and the dark atmosphere is perfectly tuned. It grooves along full of menace, like it really means trouble.

It's somehow beautifully musical, despite the very obvious dark minimalism. Nice ebb and flow as well.

• @NoiseHorse there's some good ideas lurking in the track but it does feel somewhat disjointed and unstructured, and if it's put together from single takes that would figure :) It's one of those where maybe more time would have paid off, because the music and the vocal melody both have potential, but I think the whole thing could do with more crafting. It's not easy when you've got young kids! (I've been there).

• @vitocorleone123 Well I'm a sucker for a melody, and your track delivers that in spades.

It's actually really hard for a track with a fragmented structure to keep the listener's interest successfully, but the reason this track does is because the melodic content of every section is really strong, so the track never gets boring even as it segues from one section to another - each new element that comes in makes its own powerful statement so the whole thing is entertaining all the way through.

The intro synth melody has a really nice haunting feel, and then the guitar that comes straight after is completely different: really funky and angular (great performance BTW). The horns alongside are exuberant. The whole thing grooves along beautifully. Then it switches again, to that menacing bass riff, the chimey synth, and the wah keys solo.

Then the guitar comes back for the gritty finale that builds up with the bell-like synths mixed in, the whole thing is starting to feel really uplifting by the end - it's beautiful. Well done, it sounds like you spent a lot of time crafting this track and I think that's really paid off.

• @richardyot said:
    @studs1966 Nice summery vibe again, is it always summer in your part of the world? ;) The vocal sample is really nice, and the way the track flows around it works very well. The OoohOooahs are particularly good. Maybe the percussion is a tad busy, but it all grooves along nicely.

Thank You Richard... Had a bit of good news... Just had a 7 track EP released today.. A couple of the tracks were from SOTMC are on it...
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://itunes.apple.com/by/album/connected-ep/1436400654&h=AT3amOr9RuLf9Meg1_VrsgnGQvqAA-RZ0y6owq5CfDx_Fn25tJ67Fe7fAKziWEh_jsWCiZTNSzX_HrboApx__eZKWBECyjaPV5avxTgZmbKp6oVtWnx5fTjJh9xzW3qHHgO-Xq1EtP0LGG3TG2iHMvNqG-Unh6WjumCIJ5NrEsbax_irjDVaRcvYW1n1xo28xWI_FqD4HHUOzad1E0WvwAEamYSkwqIF7Hi-9sE_oEmffFQm_Tz0J4vU8MRndyTlDvBFR_KUv23ss5RjEufbkgqxQmzwoYVfKP9GAV9SB1Xnk-RiVMG73Bb2iVjc04uzJXxknpIvteNWljWBGvAze0hzh4aJwCmtC4Hl2og0G-SQdhV8WDicXOwjVuDzdao5e4aUv9BmyOKwCLP9_Kou9VSKqQsAbQY

• @studs1966 said:

@richardyot said:
    @studs1966 Nice summery vibe again, is it always summer in your part of the world? ;) The vocal sample is really nice, and the way the track flows around it works very well. The OoohOooahs are particularly good. Maybe the percussion is a tad busy, but it all grooves along nicely.

Thank You Richard... Had a bit of good news... Just had a 7 track EP released today.. A couple of the tracks were from SOTMC are on it...
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://itunes.apple.com/by/album/connected-ep/1436400654&h=AT3amOr9RuLf9Meg1_VrsgnGQvqAA-RZ0y6owq5CfDx_Fn25tJ67Fe7fAKziWEh_jsWCiZTNSzX_HrboApx__eZKWBECyjaPV5avxTgZmbKp6oVtWnx5fTjJh9xzW3qHHgO-Xq1EtP0LGG3TG2iHMvNqG-Unh6WjumCIJ5NrEsbax_irjDVaRcvYW1n1xo28xWI_FqD4HHUOzad1E0WvwAEamYSkwqIF7Hi-9sE_oEmffFQm_Tz0J4vU8MRndyTlDvBFR_KUv23ss5RjEufbkgqxQmzwoYVfKP9GAV9SB1Xnk-RiVMG73Bb2iVjc04uzJXxknpIvteNWljWBGvAze0hzh4aJwCmtC4Hl2og0G-SQdhV8WDicXOwjVuDzdao5e4aUv9BmyOKwCLP9_Kou9VSKqQsAbQY

• @richardyot said:
    congrats!

Thanks mate... ;)

• @studs1966 said:

@richardyot said:
    congrats!

Thanks mate... ;)

Wow! Well done.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler.

You're searching for a father
    A wise man, that knows the truth
    A knight in shining armour
    Whose voice, will always soothe

It's not how I thought it would be
    This world is dead to me
    You call to me
    Do I hear your plea?

You're praying at the altar
    For hope, for love and truth
    Your faith can only falter
    Faced with the loss of youth

It's not how I thought it would be
    The world has died for me
    You call to me
    And I hear your plea.

Loved the atmosphere of this song. If I had to make changes I would back off the kick a little and raise the hi hat and cymbals, as the extra interest they provide gets lost, especially once the other parts start up. With regard to the vocals, you have a Pet Shop Boys vibe going on and as such your intonation is just fine, except at the end of each line when you drop a 3rd during the last word. That tends to be where the vocal control isn’t always so precise, but imagining it as precise as I can, I’m not sure it’s an interval that works well at the end of the line anyway. It might have been better just to go straight for the lower note. Otherwise, great. :smile:

• @obijohn said:
    My entry this month. Actually threw this together over the (US) holiday weekend. I wanted to do a track using only Gadget(s) so I could get to know the instruments better, and I ended up using mostly built-in presets tweaked only very slightly. The idea here was someone trying to go to sleep, almost there, and having their peaceful thoughts abruptly interrupted by energetic thoughts (something my wife struggles with nightly)... trying to regain the peace, the energy abruptly coming back and almost taking over, but finally getting to sleep. OK, yeah, weird, I know. The transitions might be too abrupt, which is what I was going for but might need to rethink how it fits together. Feedback welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/tokensonly/insomniac/s-hsmHK

Your peaceful section comes across as happy, excited anticipation to me, but I guess we’re all different and it by no means spoils the music, which is great. All the parts and contrasts work well together and the whole thing reminds me of Gordon Giltrap, which is strange, because he’s a guitarist. Two things came to mind while listening. The first is that the track is crying out for a good female vocalist to sing clear melodies over at least part of both contrasting sections and the second is that a slower soaring instrumental theme or hook would work really well over the extended energetic section near the end. Nice bit of prog rock. :smile: