Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

Tired of sifting through the 'Groove Rider GR-16 Released!' thread for something other than feature requests? Well this is for you!

All tips and techniques etc welcome here - even if it is just minimal workflow speeder uperers.

I have found the Voidmaster turtorials very helpful - specifically this one:

Comments

• If you hold a pad in erase mode while recording notes from the scale pad, the notes you play will replace the old notes. This lets you play continuously until the pattern is just right, without stopping, undoing, or editing. If you play both in the same rhythm, you can basically just replace notes more precisely. Really fun to cut up and morph polyphonic patterns this way. Will not work with recorded arps unfortunately.

• edited September 2018

I could go on an on really, but : normalize your samples in AudioShare and put them into a zip file to import, that way they will be loud enough in comparison to the built in sounds, and importing a zip let’s you have a nice tidy folder in the sounds list. 16 second sample limit is 8 bars at 120 bpm for those who haven’t done the math

• Nice one, db909 - exactly what I'm looking for!

• edited September 2018

How to step sequence: in sequence edit mode you tap the pad where the note should go. Then hit shift and hit the pad to commit it. Then switch to keys and enter the pitch. To adjust note length use the jog wheel (First parameter on bottom left). Add a trig condition. Any one is fine. (Last parameter on the bottom right using the jog wheel.) Then repeat.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    How to step sequence: in sequence edit mode you tap the pad where the note should go. Then hit shift and hit the pad to commit it. Then switch to keys and enter the pitch. To adjust note length use the jog wheel (First parameter on bottom left). Add a trig condition. Any one is fine. (Last parameter on the bottom right using the jog wheel.) Then repeat.

There's an easier way for step sequencing, described in manual. Enter EDIT+KEYS mode, then 1) tap any pad to enter a note of desired pitch; 2) tap down arrow button on the left to move the cursor. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

• @jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

There's an easier way for step sequencing, described in manual. Enter EDIT+KEYS mode, then 1) tap any pad to enter a note of desired pitch; 2) tap down arrow button on the left to move the cursor. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

RTFM!

• But Jim said it so nicely

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

# GR-16 pad to note converter

# Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 

# Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42

# Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B

# Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31

# Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09

# Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC

# Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END

# And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END

• Silent sample for midi-only pads

When using midi out from GR-16 pads you probably don’t want them to produce their own sound. This is a small, silent wav file that can be assigned to those pads. You’ll have to unzip it using AudioShare or something. Sorry about that - the forum doesn’t allow .wav files to be uploaded.

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

:o

So that’s how you write all those amazing patterns! I guess method 1 works better for rhythmic parts and method 2 for melodies.

• edited September 2018

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

RTFM!

I have but reading and comprehending are two separate things. So actually it’s RACTFM if you want to get technical >:)

• Great tips guys - and no rtfm comments here - keep it cool!

• @jimpavloff said:

As an addendum, you can enter a chord using the above method by entering a second, third, and up to fourth note at the 'step' you're on before forging ahead (or back) with the arrow buttons.

Chords can also be entered using EDIT+CHORDS mode. Tapping a pad will use its note as the root, and the resulting chord will depend on the Chord Set and Scale. The notes in each of the five Chord Sets is as follows:

Set 1: Root and 3rd
    Set 2: Root, 3rd, 5th (a Triad)
    Set 3: Root, 3rd, 5th, 7th (a Seven chord)
    Set 4: Root, 3rd, 5th, 9th (a Nine chord)
    Set 5: Root, 5th, 7th, 3rd (an alternate Seven chord voicing with the 3rd on top)

A Chromatic Scale produces major chords and a Minor Scale produces minor chords. The Modal scales (Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, etc) produce chords in their relative tonalities.

• I can’t r3member how to go in and edit a sample length, fade in/out etc. using the screen, dragging start and stop lines. Did this feature get removed?

• @Breezee said:
    I can’t r3member how to go in and edit a sample length, fade in/out etc. using the screen, dragging start and stop lines. Did this feature get removed?

It’s hard to explain but if you adjust the sample knobs you’ll get some options displayed on the waveform. I’ve advocated that part options should be consolidated in the wave menu. Go to part settings and change the sample from
    Boost to sample length.

• edited December 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Breezee said:
    I can’t r3member how to go in and edit a sample length, fade in/out etc. using the screen, dragging start and stop lines. Did this feature get removed?

It’s hard to explain but if you adjust the sample knobs you’ll get some options displayed on the waveform. I’ve advocated that part options should be consolidated in the wave menu. Go to part settings and change the sample from
    Boost to sample length.

Thanks

• Yessss my precioussss....bring the simple tipssss to the simple boyssss...... +

• This damn sample edit window is such a pain in the ass to remember how to get to. Why, for the love of god, why?

Change it!

Please

• @Breezee said:
    This damn sample edit window is such a pain in the ass to remember how to get to. Why, for the love of god, why?

Change it!

Please

OK, dumbass, when you forget again, and you search for this thread where you got your answer last time, go into the wave menu. Touch the boost knob, then, where you have to option to adjust distortion, and direction, click on that, and the options to change start/stop position is hidden in there. Stop forgetting, dipshit!

• Why doesn’t the distortion and direction menu also say position or something like that, so it clearer for the users like you, who are idiots?

• So you want everyone to adjust their apps to tailor them for your adhd, ridiculousness?

• Is the Super Bowl this weekend or next?

• I agree the menu diving is a bit of a problem with this app. It makes sense in hardware where it costs to manufacture more hardware buttons, but this app could take more advantage of the screen space and flexibility.
    Otherwise it's top-notch for features :)

• Right! You have to hit DIST to get into the SMPL start/end. That’s super hidden, lol.

• The sample edit window with its Start/End controls works for built-in samples, but not for built-in instruments.
    That can be a source of confusion.

• @Breezee said:
    Is the Super Bowl this weekend or next?

Next.
    I am a Noob on GR-16.
    But even I have an excellent tip...

If you don’t have this app, then you should strongly consider getting it.
    I feel I waited way too long to discover how awesome it is.

• As a result of this app, I think I am selling my Digitakt. Boom!

• Hey guys, is there a way to midi learn, and any secret preset midi cc’s for part mutes?

• @Breezee said:
    As a result of this app, I think I am selling my Digitakt. Boom!

Man, I thought about the same already! Plus NanoStudio 2 is great as a stereo sampler.

• @Breezee said:
    As a result of this app, I think I am selling my Digitakt. Boom!

What an amazing commendation for an iOS app. Respect @jimpavloff!!