Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget and importing MIDI files (today’s update still doesn’t help)

Hi, I never ask about this subject before but because I still don’t understand why it is so problematic to import MIDI files into Gadget, especially after today’s update and the iOS files app compatibility, I’d like to know if I’m missing something and if I could get some help. So, when I import a simple 1 bar midi file, why Gadget creates 2 tracks, with Marseille in each, and decompose my 1 bar midi file in 4 scenes (8 scenes in fact, 4 empty scenes on the first track and 4 other on the second) ? Especially after I created one track (with Dublin, why Gadget launch Marseille every time you import MIDI ?) and a scene that matches my MIDI file length... What is this ? Why this simple and important task is so difficult ? So I guess I must be missing something, so I would really appreciate your help on this matter, thank you !

Comments

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

It’s the just the way it works. Yes, it is completely idiotic. As far as midi import goes, the files app compatibility just makes it easier to get midi into the same useless implementation.

• From what I’ve read (but not tried). GarageBand does a good job with midi import now, and you can then host Gadget inside GarageBand to send that midi to it. Might be worth checking out.

• edited September 2018

@cyril777 if you can imagine working with a separate sequencer, Xequence has very good and robust MIDI import (and many other editing features on top) and you can control Gadget seamlessly from it via MIDI, you might want to give it a try.

• @cyril777 Once I started using Xequence I have never gone back to sequencing in Gadget. I use Xequence to control all midi of Gadget. It’s a wonderful app....

• @Chaztrip said:
    @cyril777 Once I started using Xequence I have never gone back to sequencing in Gadget. I use Xequence to control all midi of Gadget. It’s a wonderful app....

I was intrigued by Xequence ( I love midi sequencer apps ), so it may be the occasion to get it. My only workaround was to use another app like Cubasis or BM3 and record MIDI in Gadjet. On the other hand, using a midi sequencer to drive Gadjet is not really my goal, the Gadjet sequencer is basic (I’m not a fan of the “row” system) but it does the job and automation is quite good. I just that I miss being able to open a midi file inside a pattern, a really basic function, and it’s weird that Gadjet still can’t do it properly...

• I don’t even consider Gadget as having MIDI import. Whatever the implementation is, it’s totally useless to me. So I don’t worry about it. Gadget works fine as a standalone for sketching ideas, with its scene paradigm I like, and then exporting. Xequence is great as a traditional sequencer to control Gadget and everything else, and highly recommended.

• edited September 2018

This is a very frustrating point with Korg Gadget which is an amazing app.
    NO AUv3 and a jacked up MIDI input problem where it breaks up the midi file and
    inputs it in a top to bottom formation instead of a linear right to left sequence.
    I have not used Gadget for months because of these two reasons

• I figure MIDI import is weird in Gadget because it doesn’t readily map to Scenes. MIDI’s a linear format. When you export MIDI, it’s easy for Gadget to output the performance as linear, but not the other way around. They could make it more useful, but I don’t see the lack as a big deal within the context of a standalone app. Same with no AUv3. Gadget is simpler and more reliable. I like it as a standalone, and when I want to use it as part of multi-app project, it responds to multiple MIDI channels. It’s still an iOS staple for me.

• edited September 2018

@lovadamusic said:
    I figure MIDI import is weird in Gadget because it doesn’t readily map to Scenes. MIDI’s a linear format. When you export MIDI, it’s easy for Gadget to output the performance as linear, but not the other way around. They could make it more useful, but I don’t see the lack as a big deal within the context of a standalone app. Same with no AUv3. Gadget is simpler and more reliable. I like it as a standalone, and when I want to use it as part of multi-app project, it responds to multiple MIDI channels. It’s still an iOS staple for me.

Exactly, rather than changing midi import, I would like to be able to copy a selection of notes (or a selection of bars) from one clip to another clip (or to a clip in another project) and to be able to select at which position in the target clip to paste it.

• edited September 2018

@lovadamusic said:
    I figure MIDI import is weird in Gadget because it doesn’t readily map to Scenes. MIDI’s a linear format. When you export MIDI, it’s easy for Gadget to output the performance as linear, but not the other way around. They could make it more useful, but I don’t see the lack as a big deal within the context of a standalone app. Same with no AUv3. Gadget is simpler and more reliable. I like it as a standalone, and when I want to use it as part of multi-app project, it responds to multiple MIDI channels. It’s still an iOS staple for me.

I like Gadget and I used to use it a lot, but AUv3 is the new movement and KORG is FALLiiiiiing behind.
    Imagine being able to import AUv3 synths and effects into gadget into Gadget ....
    At LEAST being able to use Gadget as an AU in Cubasis would be a stellar workaround for the flawed
    MIDI import inside Gadget. KORG needs to connect to other apps or get left behind....
    It is absurd that you CAN export MIDI in linear format, and CANNOT import MIDI in a linear format.....
    Also you should be able to copy and paste MIDI information from project to project or wherever you want.
    I moved to Cubasis with numerous AUv3 enabled apps and I miss Gadget but they need to wake up.
    They need to incorporate AUv3 and fix the MIDI problems,
    They are making the same mistake Retronyms did.....

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@lovadamusic said:

I like Gadget and I used to use it a lot, but AUv3 is the new movement and KORG is FALLiiiiiing behind.
    Imagine being able to import AUv3 synths and effects into gadget into Gadget ....
    At LEAST being able to use Gadget as an AU in Cubasis would be a stellar workaround for the flawed
    MIDI import inside Gadget. KORG needs to connect to other apps or get left behind....
    It is absurd that you CAN export MIDI in linear format, and CANNOT import MIDI in a linear format.....
    Also you should be able to copy and paste MIDI information from project to project or wherever you want.
    I moved to Cubasis with numerous AUv3 enabled apps and I miss Gadget but they need to wake up.

This has always been an issue for some users, that Gadget hasn't been what they envisioned it would or could be. I'd also like to see better transfer of MIDI data from one place to another, but it hasn't stopped me from using and liking the app for what it does. I don't have the numbers, but I guess Gadget is still pretty popular. There's still the appeal of just firing up one app and making music in a simple, reliable space. Maybe if the numbers favor Korg getting into areas they apparently have deliberately avoided, Gadget will one day be a more open system. I'm not counting on it, and I'm not even sure I'd like the result.

• @lovadamusic said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@lovadamusic said:

This has always been an issue for some users, that Gadget hasn't been what they envisioned it would or could be. I'd also like to see better transfer of MIDI data from one place to another, but it hasn't stopped me from using and liking the app for what it does. I don't have the numbers, but I guess Gadget is still pretty popular. There's still the appeal of just firing up one app and making music in a simple, reliable space. Maybe if the numbers favor Korg getting into areas they apparently have deliberately avoided, Gadget will one day be a more open system. I'm not counting on it, and I'm not even sure I'd like the result.

They are beginning to open up somewhat with partnering with propellerhead.
    As I said I like Gadget a lot but I want to use it with other apps
    Cubasis is stepping up their game like a big boss and leading the way.
    At one point I though I could not even make a beat without Gadget, now I barely use it.
    Cubasis and the AUv3 revolution all day I would even be happy if I could use Gadget as an
    AUv3 plug-in in Cubasis, like Sampletank, Beathawk, Swarplug etc.
    The number should be good KORG Gadget is a great app
    There is room for it to be greater😁

• edited March 2019

err - double