Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Funkbox & AUM

Hi there

I am using Funkbox & AUM. I cannot use Funkbox inside of AUM as it messes up sync so I am using it externally sync'd via Ableton Link. I'd like to be able to use it inside of AUM if possible? I have tried a few different settings but maybe I am missing something.

I have 8 channels of hardware in AUM, all going to a bus with Flux:FX. AUM is providing MIDI clock for Flux:FX. If I open Funkbox inside of AUM it messes up the sync (all MIDI off in Funkbox, just live link.)

Comments

• What happens if you disable LINK in all apps? AUM and FubkBox are both very good MIDI clock citizens for me.

• That's a real question though as I haven't tried hosting FB in AUM since round about 1943 in iOS years.

• :D

Both AUM & Funkbox have great MIDI clock but it's not good for this scenario (Funkbox doesn't slave well.) Anyhow I was missing something... Just had to hit play in AUM first before doing anything else.

• Ahhh get all kinds of weird drift & sync issues if Funkbox is in AUM! So strange that it works absolutely fine outside of AUM.

I wish Link was a little more configurable. I'm almost positive this problem is to do with start/stop messages. So close yet so far away... always some bullsht in the way on iOS.

Hilarious I could leave it going all night with zero drift when Funkbox is not in AUM...

I've tried every app option to perform such a simple task. So many sub par sync option on iOS, pick a fuggin standard and make it work. Link is the answer, ditch the start stop messages & we're getting somewhere.

• Maybe toss FunkBox into an AudioBus Audio input, with AUM in the output? Then you got Link + global transport + AB3 cool beans app switching + AB Remote at your disposal.

Haven’t tried it though.

• @wim said:
    Maybe toss FunkBox into an AudioBus Audio input, with AUM in the output? Then you got Link + global transport + AB3 cool beans app switching + AB Remote at your disposal.

Haven’t tried it though.

Awesome! I was thinking this would be the solution last night, but forgot all about it. :D

This is so great, major win.

• But of course, nothing really works when you want it to:

Damn you to hell iOS. I've tried resetting device, opening things up in every possible order.

• So I'm going to document the steps necessary to make this work...

Step 1. Audiobus, open preset with AUM as an input on a channel
    Step 2. AUM state loads successfully, check we've got sound
    Step 3. Open funkbox standalone (if we open it straight away in Audiobus we lose sound from Funkbox)
    Step 4. load funkbox as input, select AUM as output... load verb & saturation in AUM
    Step 5. Hit play in AUM, then hit play in Funkbox, stop both then repeat (if we don't do this Funkbox will skip forward a beat)
    Step 6. Hopefully all is good and we can now make music.

Now Funkbox is as old as the freakin sun. What could I use instead of it? I'd love to be able to just load one Audiobus or AUM preset and be ready to go. Just need a 909 emulation, prefer AU if possible. 90% of the time I'm only using a kick!

• @BroCoast said:
    :D

Both AUM & Funkbox have great MIDI clock but it's not good for this scenario (Funkbox doesn't slave well.) Anyhow I was missing something... Just had to hit play in AUM first before doing anything else.

Very surprised to hear that, as FunkBox has always been one of the solid clock slave performers outside of AUM.
    Have you tried the setup using ApeMatrix?
    And contacting the developer of FunkBox?
    I've just tried to let AUM send Midi clock to GR-16 and use its IAA output in AUM, syncs properly. Also, pause and restart work like they should.

• It’s working fine in my tests without doing anything special at all. I wonder if maybe something in your AUM session is the cause. Have you tried starting with just an empty AUM session, then adding apps a one thing at a time until it breaks?

• I know it works! But by process of elimination I cannot use IAA because:

I can't start and stop AUM or Funkbox (I need to start & stop patterns not just mute them)

So I can use Link and follow the steps I outlined above and it will work flawlessly, it's just more setup time. The goal is one session that loads up every time so I can use it live without worry. It turns out I didn't really need AUM, but I was hoping it could be the answer.

Back to waiting for a BM3 update.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

But ... if you use AB3 like I said, you just hit play in AB3 and everything (AUM) included starts perfectly. I must be misunderstanding something.

Here’s a simple preset that works perfectly here. No special setup steps or order. Close all apps, load the preset, tap to load AUM and hit the AB start button.

If that’s not what you’re after then I’ll step out since I have most likely missed your point.

Audiobus preset 'Abortive Elbow': http://preset.audiob.us/aSJRJrQzrLbTikV

• Yeah we're confused and I've been confusing. Thanks for the preset though! That's very nice thank you. Now my head hurts from even thinking how I could summarise what I was trying to achieve.

Basically I bought AUM yesterday and wanted to see if it worked better (than BM3) for what I am doing... it doesn't.

As to my launch issue with AUM & Audiobus, well I can't explain that other than Audiobus has always been a huge problem with apps misbehaving.