Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Harmonizr Goes AU3 for GarageBand

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

Anyone using this? How does it sound? Wouldn’t use it much for vocals but seems like might be interesting for samples/instruments/loops? Is it flexible in terms of automating param settings/recording midi changes for intervals etc? Using keyboard I guess from the photo?

Will look for vids..

I got it but haven’t used it much I think it was either free or on offer a few weeks back.

• Just been using it as AU has some strange effects on Keys some good some not so good will need to get a better idea how to use it.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I thought it always was AU?

• @gusgranite said:
    I thought it always was AU?

Oh, they’ve added another FX plugin so it can be used properly in GarageBand I think.

• I'm interested in the pitch shifting quality compared to the other apps available.
    Playing Jacob Collier style is hardly possible with 3-voice polyphony :wink:

• edited September 2018

This app is really fun and a blast to use. You can hear it on the guitar solo for Lily Gets Upset from Doug, Colin & my album Lily's Gone Mad. Forward up to 1:44-ish for the solo:

https://dougwoodsandcolinpowell.bandcamp.com/track/lily-gets-upset

• I think it sounds very ‘non-chipmunk’, which is a good thing.

• @rs2000 said:
    Playing Jacob Collier style is hardly possible with 3-voice polyphony :wink:

It can "sing" any chords you can play with MIDI in chromatic mode. So, Jacob away with all your fingers.

I think it does an excellent budget ($5) version of the Jacob Collier Harmonizer effect. You need to get MIDI and a Mic into the iPad.

To have the harmony follow your keyboard chord choices you select the chromatic setting so you're non-scale jazz chord extensions come through if not it will build the basic chords from the scale selected and no C7+b9+#11's for you.

It sounds more like a harmonizer than a vocoder (which is that robot like vocal). It also can auto-tune the singers melody as an option.

For non-keyboardists you should select a root chord (Major, Minor, 7th) and you can select 2,3,4,5 parts of harmony to be added to a melody input. For a complex harmony you might have to select new root chords as the song progresses from say C minor to A minor. I think those chord changes can't be automated or controlled with MIDI. Just through the screen controls. I'd like to wrong about this.

I have not compared it to the VirSyn Harmony Eight ($10).

• Harmony Eight was one of the few apps that I purchased that I've deleted. I could never get it to sound good. It was pitchy, the output was low, the sound was meh - didn't jive with me at all. THis is one of very few apps that I just don't recommend.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Harmony Eight was one of the few apps that I purchased that I've deleted. I could never get it to sound good. It was pitchy, the output was low, the sound was meh - didn't jive with me at all. THis is one of very few apps that I just don't recommend.

Have you purchased Harmonizr? For people that want to add background vocals to a lead singer or turn a guitar solo into 2 or 3 part harmonic lines this one is really powerful as a studio tool.
    Throw in the autotune for the paying customer with pitch issues and you're way ahead for $5. The customer won't even notice the slight shifts that makes the music less cringeworthy. They'll "I sound really good when you record me." Of course, a studio would have bought an Autotune years ago. But for someone building a studio business on the cheap it's a no brainer.

• If you want a fast overview of the Harmonizr App watch the developer give a tutorial on how to connect and use it. You can use the devices mic but I personally would find another way to add MIDI and a good MIC. I bought the original IK Multimedia iRig which allows guitars and MIC's to be added via the headphone jack. They have since replaced it with a Lightning Port device (which I have too) but I use that port for MIDI so the next option is an audio interface with MIDI IN support over Lightning. I happen to have a Presonus that will do that so my $5 was very well placed to let me do the Jacob Collier/Imogen Heap thing on an iPhone/iPad.

Before it came out I was looking for a good hardware solution and they cost closer to $200. Even a VST plugin would be $50.

Here's the tutorial link:

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=HiAMTIYockE

The developer participates here as well. See the original App announcement thread and watch Doug apply it to a guitar solo
    at @thesoundtestroom.

I wonder what it does with sequencer MIDI input on a Synth? I'm sure it's useful for that use case as an AUv3 FX tool. Has anyone set that up and produced a track yet?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Daveypoo said:
    This app is really fun and a blast to use. You can hear it on the guitar solo for Lily Gets Upset from Doug, Colin & my album Lily's Gone Mad. Forward up to 1:44-ish for the solo:

https://dougwoodsandcolinpowell.bandcamp.com/track/lily-gets-upset

@McDtracy Already own it - check out my post above :wink: