Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LIGHTNING: Future with no Lightning jack......thinking about it?

I would be interested in others are starting to think about a lightning free future.

And perhaps the idea of going more bluetooth and what the limits of that may realistically be?

I have 2 bluetooth midi controllers. Akai and a Livid

Compared to my midi keyboard, launchpad pro, circuit, and launch control XL, I don't really use them too too much.

I enjoy them but don't use them in a super serious capacity.

More for pads or Fx type stuff.

What say you?

Comments

• edited September 2018

• Well, usb-c opens all new kinds of possibilities.

• DJ Pro update dropped today with portrait mode so obviously they moved the ports around on the iPad to take in account of Face ID and portrait mode. People won’t Be happy if they get rid of lightning and having to by new leads and interfaces.

• I'll be happy. Lightning has never been up to the job.

• @Norbert said:
    Well, usb-c opens all new kinds of possibilities.

You don't say. Are there some devices to consider that might work with Laptops today?

I was just musing that I should put my PreSonus USB audio interface into play with my iPad to add more mic and guitar tracks to projects. It has a MIDI port so it can replace the Korg PlugKey and get power from the iPad using the Camera Adapter and it's power port.

But what does USB-C offer?

• It's clear we move to USB-C. For that reason wait if you can till next year with buying a new iPhone. Lighting will be obsolete in a short while. I guess Apple waited with the announcement of new iPad after new iPhones launch, because once it is clear the USB-C is in the new iPads it will be clear the lighting will be dropped soon.

• Change is a request for anger... we learn to adapt and delay buying-in until the benefits outweigh the losses. I waited a long time to replace my 30-pin Dock connector iPad with 12GB of storage. I focused on a new MacBook. Now I'm typing on the Mac and making music with the iPad again to lower software costs and buy more impulse Apps.

And I'm almost over my anger at the Lightning Port change.

I recently bought some long USB-C Cables (by accident). I'm ready to plug into something.

• I guess Apple waited with the announcement of new iPad after new iPhones launch, because once it is clear the USB-C is in the new iPads it will be clear the lighting will be dropped soon.

That hadn't occurred to me.

I had planned on sticking with my 7 for at least another year anyway.

Lightning sucks because it's obviously not capable of carrying more than one stream of data - how many lightning hubs are there out there? - and because it's expensive. $30 for a single lead is just rubbish.
    What I don't understand is why there aren't any USB-C to lightning adapters/hubs out there.

• @McDtracy said:

@Norbert said:

You don't say. Are there some devices to consider that might work with Laptops today?

I was just musing that I should put my PreSonus USB audio interface into play with my iPad to add more mic and guitar tracks to projects. It has a MIDI port so it can replace the Korg PlugKey and get power from the iPad using the Camera Adapter and it's power port.

Immense bandwidth & therefore speed. Plus, it’s a universal plug. Not bound to Apple products.
    Communication with a larger amount of peripherals and faster communication with outside disks or memory sticks... I dunno, I’m sure it’s a lot of things. Bandwidth always gives something positive. That’s my view. Yeee!
    However, I always hate changing things that work. New things are always a bother somehow...

• edited September 2018

Lightning on iPad is already USB 3.0. Adding 3.1 support wouldn’t require a USB-C port and cable, would it?

The iPad can already use any compatible USB device using an adapter and/or hub. And if the iPad only had one USB-C port, what would be the practical differences? None! Plus, the Lightning plug itself is far superior to the wobbly USB-C setup.

• I gotta have me wirez / highways / light / speed / big data.

• edited September 2018

Bluetooth is maturing, and once it is capable of doing uncompressed audio with little latency I'm all in, for now though I'm cables for audio...
    From a controller point of view, again it is down to the latency.....having no wires is definitely a good thing (as long as you keep the controllers charged), most are saying they do not have latency problems with BT, I have yet to try it out.

USB-C - Same as we have now but with more bandwidth...tbh I have not suffered any bandwidth issues so far with Lightning.

• Re USB-C: Everyone keeps talking about bandwidth and shlandwidth, but the most important advantage of Lightning for me is the mechanical design. Every single USB standard since 1997 or whenever that thing came out was extremely flimsy or had a broken mechanical design. I wonder if USB-C is finally MECHANICALLY robust now? Does it have good contact after 5 years? Does it not fall out on its own? Well, at least it's reversible now so you don't break your ports (!) anymore by merely trying to plug something in! :) (I ruined several expensive laptops that way. Way to go to make a plug that looks symmetrical from the outside, but ISN'T on the inside, holy USB "engineers" ;) ;) ;))

• edited September 2018

i just like to get rid of the dongle and plug my midi controller or audio device directly into my ipad. No camera connection dongle please. Wouldn't USB C allow to get rid of such dongles?

• edited September 2018

It's reversible and compatible with every other USB standards as long as one can find a cable with usb-c on one side and whatever usb on the other. So I don't see why it should be a pain to plug midi devices which are already usb.

• @Kühl said:

@McDtracy said:

@Norbert said:

Immense bandwidth & therefore speed. Plus, it’s a universal plug. Not bound to Apple products.
    Communication with a larger amount of peripherals and faster communication with outside disks or memory sticks... I dunno, I’m sure it’s a lot of things. Bandwidth always gives something positive. That’s my view. Yeee!
    However, I always hate changing things that work. New things are always a bother somehow...

Kind of an interesting paradox.

The wisdom to know changing something that is not broken is not logical.

However, if the long term good somehow outweighs it, it is somehow a worth sacrifice of time and aggravation.

Your bandwidth comment is so funny because it immediately makes me think Elon Musk.

I know you get that comment.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Re USB-C: Everyone keeps talking about bandwidth and shlandwidth, but the most important advantage of Lightning for me is the mechanical design. Every single USB standard since 1997 or whenever that thing came out was extremely flimsy or had a broken mechanical design. I wonder if USB-C is finally MECHANICALLY robust now? Does it have good contact after 5 years? Does it not fall out on its own? Well, at least it's reversible now so you don't break your ports (!) anymore by merely trying to plug something in! :) (I ruined several expensive laptops that way. Way to go to make a plug that looks symmetrical from the outside, but ISN'T on the inside, holy USB "engineers" ;) ;) ;))

Fuck

That is all I can say with this post.

Sort of shits on all the happy hype posts and puts reality on the table for real.

My new MacBook already replaced both boards, so I can't deal with another issue.....LOL

• @RUST( i )K said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Re USB-C: Everyone keeps talking about bandwidth and shlandwidth, but the most important advantage of Lightning for me is the mechanical design. Every single USB standard since 1997 or whenever that thing came out was extremely flimsy or had a broken mechanical design. I wonder if USB-C is finally MECHANICALLY robust now? Does it have good contact after 5 years? Does it not fall out on its own? Well, at least it's reversible now so you don't break your ports (!) anymore by merely trying to plug something in! :) (I ruined several expensive laptops that way. Way to go to make a plug that looks symmetrical from the outside, but ISN'T on the inside, holy USB "engineers" ;) ;) ;))

Fuck

Sort of shits on all the happy hype posts and puts reality on the table for real.

I love doing that! I'm a reality warrior! ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@SevenSystems said:

Fuck

I love doing that! I'm a reality warrior! ;)

I am a retro future juggernaut!

LOL

• @[Deleted User] said:
    i just like to get rid of the dongle and plug my midi controller or audio device directly into my ipad. No camera connection dongle please. Wouldn't USB C allow to get rid of such dongles?

If you already have the dongle, then what difference? It would let you avoid a dongle if you were only plugging one device in at a time. As soon as you use more, you need a hub anyway, which is just a dongle by a different name.

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

If you already have the dongle, then what difference? It would let you avoid a dongle if you were only plugging one device in at a time. As soon as you use more, you need a hub anyway, which is just a dongle by a different name.

One man's dongle is another mans dongel.

• Support for external SSD‘s would be nice.
    Lightning is a gimmick. USB-C all the way.
    But 2 would be better for an iPad Pro.

• I HATE the Lightning jack. It took me some time to come to that opinion. I thought it was an improvement over the 30-pin connector, which always seemed to pop out in one end. But at least the 30 pin connector snaps into place, and I haven't had any of them fail on my devices. The Lightning jack becomes a failure point on older devices because the plug is basically held in by surface tension and if you have 3rd party plugs or anything with slight variability in size, it fits differently. My official Apple lightning charging for jiggles back in forth in the jack like an old NES cartridge, and it fails to charge or hold a connection constantly..

Thankfully, I'm getting a new phone tomorrow, but I worry about it as a failure point on my $1,000 iPad Pro.

• Great....more dongles for a „mobile“ device :|

• @Cib said:

Great....more dongles for a „mobile“ device :|

Well if you intend to plug stuff in it, I am not sure being a mobile device has any relevance here. It's when it's unplugged that 'mobile' actually means something.

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

There are a few issues I find with a camera connection dongle, if the dongle breaks or gets lost its another 50 euro, you have to get the official Apple version as all the third party versions are pants.
    When paired with USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 technology, USB-C is faster, more powerful. It is also pretty much the future standard for all other devices. I would prefer not to use two cables into a dongle when one cable can do the job if possible.

• @[Deleted User] said:

When paired with USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 technology, USB-C is faster, more powerful.

True, but when paired with USB 3.1, Lightning would be just as fast. Lightning is USB, just with extras, and a way, way better plug.

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

When paired with USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 technology, USB-C is faster, more powerful.

True, but when paired with USB 3.1, Lightning would be just as fast. Lightning is USB, just with extras, and a way, way better plug.

If Apple made this adjustment then I would be happy indeed :-) I believe it would solve the gripes I have.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@McDtracy said:

@Norbert said:

Kind of an interesting paradox.

The wisdom to know changing something that is not broken is not logical.

However, if the long term good somehow outweighs it, it is somehow a worth sacrifice of time and aggravation.

Change for the reason of change is just an economic imperative. Money must flow.