Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 12 is available (as of Monday 17 September)

Comments

• No iOS12 update here in the United States (Midwest). Looks like basically the same OS with some under-the-hood changes, so I will be upgrading my iPad Pro 12.9" (2015 model).

• I’ll definately upgrade my Air2 tonight after work

• I'm definitely upgrading, seems like there's nothing to fear with this one and the new AU ram limits will mean more stability hopefully :)

• @Carnbot said:
    I'm definitely upgrading, seems like there's nothing to fear with this one and the new AU ram limits will mean more stability hopefully :)

These limits only kick in for 4GB RAM devices from what I read. If apps developers start using it and open their music apps up to it. How will that effect the same app on 2GB device? I read Crydebyte article mentioning it.

• Considering iOS12 has improved memory/resource management it will be nice to see the effects of it :)

• Will be interesting to see how well iOS does 'cleanup' of temp files once the update drops :D

I've got roughly 1GB free storage and 'other' taking up plenty of gigs (caches from apps etc.).
    iOS usually triggers some cleaning routines when it's time to install and I've never had issues with this.

I did make a backup to iTunes a few hours ago...

• edited September 2018

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:
    I'm definitely upgrading, seems like there's nothing to fear with this one and the new AU ram limits will mean more stability hopefully :)

These limits only kick in for 4GB RAM devices from what I read. If apps developers start using it and open their music apps up to it. How will that effect the same app on 2GB device? I read Crydebyte article mentioning it.

Do you have a link to the article?

Edit: nevermind found it :)

• @Samu said:
    Will be interesting to see how well iOS does 'cleanup' of temp files once the update drops :D

I've got roughly 1GB free storage and 'other' taking up plenty of gigs (caches from apps etc.).
    iOS usually triggers some cleaning routines when it's time to install and I've never had issues with this.

I did make a backup to iTunes a few hours ago...

I was disappointed with the cleanup, but I have noticed iOS 12 releases more ram.

• I’ve upgraded my new 26.7cm iPad Pro. The first thing that stood out as soon as I saw the screenful of apps was an unfamiliar unwanted “Stocks” app I certainly didn’t put there, so within a second I deleted that! The time isn’t where I’m used to seeing it, so I’ve got to get used to looking elsewhere for the time. The iPad camera still isn’t fixed – the shutter button is still on the incorrect side to be able to be used without also dropping the iPad, as both hands are now over there on the right side, one prodding and the other trying to grip the same edge, with all the remaining weight of the iPad slipping out of the grip as the button is pushed. I’m fed up with dropping the iPad this way – I’ve done it twice on my previous iPads, yet the camera is still misdesigned after so many years.

• @realdawei said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:

Do you have a link to the article?

Edit: nevermind found it :)

Can you post the link?

• @u0421793 said:
    I’m fed up with dropping the iPad this way – I’ve done it twice on my previous iPads, yet the camera is still misdesigned after so many years.

Buying the iPad to use as a camera is certainly a practical idea.

• Can’t complain about 12 at all. The disappearing dock on the home screen gives me a little more peace of mind.

• edited September 2018

Performance los of about 5% after updating to iOS in Antutu.
    Left picture is 11.4.1 benchmark 202.945
    Right Picture is 12.0 benchmark 193.589

After all positive performance gains stories mixed feelings with this update because seems performance los. I ran Antutu 3 times and it was all around the 193.000 mark. The picture is from the highest btw.

• Installed IOS 12 last night on my 2017 iPad 128Gb and so far no problems. Seems a bit snappier.
    Control centre has disappeared from the swipe up screen which shows tasks running.
    Wonder if there's any way to re-instate it on that screen.

• @receder said:
    Installed IOS 12 last night on my 2017 iPad 128Gb and so far no problems. Seems a bit snappier.
    Control centre has disappeared from the swipe up screen which shows tasks running.

@receder said:
    Installed IOS 12 last night on my 2017 iPad 128Gb and so far no problems. Seems a bit snappier.

Control centre is swiping down on the top right now

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@receder said:

Control centre is swiping down on the top right now

Thanks @LucidMusicInc for the info.

• Very noticeable improvement in running complex music app set ups, I'll test setups that combine AB3 with AUM and the multiroute-able out apps such as Patterning's individual channel outs.

• @greengrocer said:

I notice that your 11.4.1 test is at 1:17 AM and the 12.0 test is at 2:02 AM. This may be a significant factor because I've heard iOS takes many hours, maybe a few days to work on the new install in the background. I don't know the technical details, but I hear quite often than performance will not be at its best in the first few hours or days after a new install.
    I would be interested to see the test results 24 hours later to see if this is true.

• @Hmtx said:

@greengrocer said:

I notice that your 11.4.1 test is at 1:17 AM and the 12.0 test is at 2:02 AM. This may be a significant factor because I've heard iOS takes many hours, maybe a few days to work on the new install in the background. I don't know the technical details, but I hear quite often than performance will not be at its best in the first few hours or days after a new install.
    I would be interested to see the test results 24 hours later to see if this is true.

Thanks for your remark. My response was more or less that everybody says it's snapier feels faster but saw my benchmarks were slower. I will do a new benchmark in about 2 weeks and post the results overhere, let's hope that you're right.

• One helpful thing I’ve discovered with the new shortcuts app is if you make a shortcut to turn off Bluetooth or WiFi, it turns them off for real, instead of simply disconnecting like turning “off” in control center does.

• @greengrocer all good, interesting to see the benchmarks for sure.

The whole "fees snappier" thing is so subjective. A few years back, I think iOS 8, the update came out with new animations and features and everyone thought it felt faster, but the objective tests showed that the actual amount of time was slower on the new iOS. The snappy, fast feeling animations were actually taking longer than the previous iOS but everyone liked the new and shiny. :neutral:

Anyway, I'll be interested to see some actual time comparisons for processes on iOS 12.

• edited September 2018

here we go, I found a youtube with fairly objective comparisons on all devices.

He does AnTuTu benchmark tests also.
    Spoiler: iOS 12 is worse on every device except SE and X.
    Left is 12.0, right is 11.4.1
    top: 5s, 6, 6s, SE
    bottom 7, 8, X

Below is the full video

• edited September 2018

@Hmtx said:
    here we go, objective comparisons on all devices.
    and he does a AnTuTu benchmark test also.
    Spoiler: iOS 12 is worse on every device except SE and X.

Below is the full video

Don’t worry, it will match 11 at 12.1 and surpass it at 12.3

Happy Apple times! ;)

...but I guess they would have done it right after the install.

• edited September 2018

yep, improvements if any are totally not noticeable. But if there's something to the "give it a few days" idea then maybe it will get better? I'm not yet convinced. I'm waiting for now.

• i‘ll update for the shortcut functions alone if that means i can quickly access the location services now.PLEASE,can anyone confirm this? ;)

• edited September 2018

The biggest problem with these iOS updates is the constant drastic changes to basic system gestures / functionality, like the task switcher, access to control center, etc... seriously? I've pretty much stopped using system gestures altogether because my brain is just overloaded with getting used to completely new ways to access these things once per year. </rant>

• @SevenSystems said:
    The biggest problem with these iOS updates is the constant drastic changes to basic system gestures / functionality, like the task switcher, access to control center, etc... seriously? I've pretty much stopped using system gestures altogether because my brain is just overloaded with getting used to completely new ways to access these things once per year. </rant>

And I fail to see the 'logic' Apple is using for the 'control centre' swipe gesture.

On the 'larger'(6,7,8,X and plus variants) devices they make the user swipe from top right down, while on the smaller (5S,SE) it's still swipe up from bottom. And on the iPad it makes no sense to swipe up from the top right corner.

Then again I think J.Ive lost a few braincells when he removed the home button and no everyone has to suffer...

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

And I fail to see the 'logic' Apple is using for the 'control centre' swipe gesture.

On the 'larger'(6,7,8,X and plus variants) devices they make the user swipe from top right down, while on the smaller (5S,SE) it's still swipe up from bottom. And on the iPad it makes no sense to swipe up from the top right corner.

Then again I think J.Ive lost a few braincells when he removed the home button and no everyone has to suffer...

I try to calm myself by thinking that "in the top right corner, there's some "controls" anyway (battery indicator, wifi indicator etc.), so, you swipe down from there to get to more "controls". Does that make sense? :neutral: anyway, makes me feel better! ;)

• edited September 2018

@greengrocer said:

After all positive performance gains stories mixed feelings with this update because seems performance los. I ran Antutu 3 times and it was all around the 193.000 mark. The picture is from the highest btw.

Hi @greengrocer !
    I was curious and I just made the same Benchmarks with my two iPad Pro.

IOS 11.4.1
    iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation - 274.273 Points

IOS 12.0
    iPad Pro 10.5 (same specs as The 12.9) - 275.582 Points

So it seems the IOS 12 performance is not bad isn’t it? 😊

274.273 IOS 11.4.1
    275.582 IOS 12.0

1.309 Points more for IOS 12!
    😎

• @u0421793 said:
    I’ve upgraded my new 26.7cm iPad Pro. The first thing that stood out as soon as I saw the screenful of apps was an unfamiliar unwanted “Stocks” app I certainly didn’t put there, so within a second I deleted that! The time isn’t where I’m used to seeing it, so I’ve got to get used to looking elsewhere for the time. The iPad camera still isn’t fixed – the shutter button is still on the incorrect side to be able to be used without also dropping the iPad, as both hands are now over there on the right side, one prodding and the other trying to grip the same edge, with all the remaining weight of the iPad slipping out of the grip as the button is pushed. I’m fed up with dropping the iPad this way – I’ve done it twice on my previous iPads, yet the camera is still misdesigned after so many years.

Did you know you can use the volume buttons rather than the shutter button?