Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro (now released!)

Comments

• @RajahP said:
    Seems like it’s more important for the ‘host’ to have Ableton Link start/stop.. Sector (IAA) seems to respond well in AB3 with Link (on a second device) running Lumbeat’s Future Drummer with Ableton Link start/stop...
    Gestrument 1 don’t seem to sync to AB3 or AUM ... is it me?

The old Gestrument 1 does not support host sync, the new Gestrument Pro does!

• @Telefunky said:

@Philippe said:

@JesperNordin said:

Our plan is to keep the old Gestrument for a while to let people have the possibility to buy Pro through a bundle, and then probably take it off the AppStore.

Reading this made me completely blow a gasket!!
    I forgot for a second how volatile everything is in the app store and was therefore willing to buy this one.

Thanks for reminding me to stop throwing away my money in such an ephemeral ecosystem.

Even if Gestrument is taken off the store (no new purchases possible) it STILL remains in your account for as long as the developers themselves don't cease their contract with Apple.
    You can download it whenever you want to all your (compatible) devices.

Exactly. I'm still surprised users think that they can pay once (and not really many bucks considering what they get), and then expect free updates for the rest of their lives. We have spent enormous amounts of time and energy on making Gestrument Pro. It's an entirely new app, written from scratch, even though its ideas are based very much on the original Gestrument.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:
    One question: Why no AUv3? As a MIDI instrument it'd be great.

I would like to understand this also. If you are developing a new app that is not a host why wouldn’t you create it as an AU today? It seems to be what most people are hoping for in new releases. Is it because it adds complexity to the development?

It certainly adds complexity, but we also thought that these kind of performance-oriented apps works best as a full-app experience. So for now, it's standalone and IAA only, but I can't promise we'll never make it as an AUv3 plugin sometime in the future :)

Possibly for most customers I suppose. But I would have only used as full screen AUv3

• @j_liljedahl @JesperNordin are there controls in Pro that do the same thing as “rhythm randomness” and “glide control” in the original Gestrument?

I know there’s probability for patterns, but what about pulses?

And, like the fluidity of the node motion when the glide feature is turned on. Helpful when kind of smoothly easing in and out of note combinations. Is there a way to get the same “glide” characteristics in Pro?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Telefunky said:

@Philippe said:

@JesperNordin said:

Our plan is to keep the old Gestrument for a while to let people have the possibility to buy Pro through a bundle, and then probably take it off the AppStore.

I forgot for a second how volatile everything is in the app store and was therefore willing to buy this one.

Thanks for reminding me to stop throwing away my money in such an ephemeral ecosystem.

Even if Gestrument is taken off the store (no new purchases possible) it STILL remains in your account for as long as the developers themselves don't cease their contract with Apple.

Exactly. I'm still surprised users think that they can pay once (and not really many bucks considering what they get), and then expect free updates for the rest of their lives. We have spent enormous amounts of time and energy on making Gestrument Pro. It's an entirely new app, written from scratch, even though its ideas are based very much on the original Gestrument.

I blew a gasket when I read that you might simply remove Gestrument from the app store so the app that I already paid for may disapear from the store. Nothing I can do about it, all between apple and developper hands. Costumers have no right. We never own what we buy in this damn store.
    And don’t start me on itunes backup hell.

I would be very happy to buy the fruit of your hard labour. Gestrument pro looks awesome, but who knows how soon it’ll vanish.
    This whole cloud thing is such a scam!

• @skiphunt said:
    @j_liljedahl @JesperNordin are there controls in Pro that do the same thing as “rhythm randomness” and “glide control” in the original Gestrument?

Yes, "rhythm randomness" is the same as assigning "Random" to the "Phase offset" parameter in Pulses.

And, like the fluidity of the node motion when the glide feature is turned on. Helpful when kind of smoothly easing in and out of note combinations. Is there a way to get the same “glide” characteristics in Pro?

There's currently no "glide" function in Pro, no. But we'll certainly consider it for future updates!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@skiphunt said:
    @j_liljedahl @JesperNordin are there controls in Pro that do the same thing as “rhythm randomness” and “glide control” in the original Gestrument?

Yes, "rhythm randomness" is the same as assigning "Random" to the "Phase offset" parameter in Pulses.

There's currently no "glide" function in Pro, no. But we'll certainly consider it for future updates!

Cool. Is the “glide” in the original Gestrument actually doing much sonically? Or, is it more of a visual thing?

• @Philippe said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Telefunky said:

@Philippe said:

@JesperNordin said:

I blew a gasket when I read that you might simply remove Gestrument from the app store so the app that I already paid for may disapear from the store. Nothing I can do about it, all between apple and developper hands. Costumers have no right. We never own what we buy in this damn store.
    And don’t start me on itunes backup hell.

I would be very happy to buy the fruit of your hard labour. Gestrument pro looks awesome, but who knows how soon it’ll vanish.
    This whole cloud thing is such a scam!

As already mentioned, as long as the app was in the store when you bought it, you can still continue to use it as long as you wish even after it has been removed from the app store! You paid for it, you got it, and you still have it. It's hard to say one "owns" software on iOS, since we can't even access the file system :) It's more like you own a license for using the app, including any free updates the developer chooses to make.

In general, the reason for pulling an old version app from the store when releasing a new one like this, is because it's simply not sustainable to keep maintaining both the old and new versions of the app. The old one does not generate any useful income to pay for the maintenance (not even bugfixes and the yearly adoption to yet another iOS version).

And of course, our vision is that there's no need to keep maintaining the old one either, because the new one is replacing it! Just like with AB2 vs AB3, etc.

• @skiphunt said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@skiphunt said:

Cool. Is the “glide” in the original Gestrument actually doing much sonically? Or, is it more of a visual thing?

Actually I just now had to check if that was the case :) No, it's not only visual. If the instrument is playing fast notes, it will play some notes on the way from the old cursor position to the new. If we ever introduce "cursor glide" in Gestrument Pro, we'll make sure to have a setting for the glide speed, per cursor! Personally I think cursor glide "feels nice" but at the same time it makes you loose some control. What if you don't want it to move slowly, but jump straight to the new position? Then it's better to just move your fingers slowly instead :)

• edited September 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

@skiphunt said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@skiphunt said:

Actually I just now had to check if that was the case :) No, it's not only visual. If the instrument is playing fast notes, it will play some notes on the way from the old cursor position to the new. If we ever introduce "cursor glide" in Gestrument Pro, we'll make sure to have a setting for the glide speed, per cursor! Personally I think cursor glide "feels nice" but at the same time it makes you loose some control. What if you don't want it to move slowly, but jump straight to the new position? Then it's better to just move your fingers slowly instead :)

The “glide” feature is nice for non-musician types like myself who don’t really have precise skilled instrument control to begin with ;) helps hide the rough edges bit I think. So, I cast my vote for adding it to Pro too at some point. Thanks :)

Edit: although, I just tried going slower in Pro with the phase offset set to random, and that worked well to hide the lack of skilled control too... so, maybe glide isn’t that important. But, it does indeed feel very nice as you mentioned. And I always preferred to have it turned on in the original Gestrument.

• What will the price be? @j_liljedahl

• @Philippe - just to clarify what Jonatan wrote. The original Gestrument will still be available for you for as long as you have devices that it works on - which hopefully is a very long time. It's not taken off your devices and you can still download it to your new devices, it's only taken off the AppStore in the way that it's not for sale anymore, but if you have it you have it!!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@RajahP said:
    Seems like it’s more important for the ‘host’ to have Ableton Link start/stop.. Sector (IAA) seems to respond well in AB3 with Link (on a second device) running Lumbeat’s Future Drummer with Ableton Link start/stop...
    Gestrument 1 don’t seem to sync to AB3 or AUM ... is it me?

The old Gestrument 1 does not support host sync, the new Gestrument Pro does!

Ok.. looking forward to the 25th...

• This is really an extraordinary instrument in several ways, and new ways keep revealing themselves.

I just set up just one instrument’s various parameters the way I wanted and a Pad sound from the available sounds in app.

Then recorded the motion of moving/playing the instrument over the grid into a nice loop.

Select No Sound and send midi out of the recorded loop to SynthScaper where I could hear it played while tweaking SynthScaper oscillators, etc. while the recorded loop plays it. This is extremely useful for crafting your new sounds in other apps since you can hear in real-time how the design of your sound actually works within a short composition.

Another really cool thing is that you can record not only the motion of the instrument nodes, but you can ALSO record the motion of moving your parameter sliders, as well as recording complete changes of scale during your motion recorded performance.

• edited September 2018

So looking forward to this one.
    I really love Gestrument.

• Pre-orders are now open!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gestrument-pro/id1105890031?ls=1&mt=8&at=10lJXr&ct=gp

The pre-order sale price is $8.99. The release is scheduled for 25 september, at the full price of $16.99.

After release, we will also make a bundle with the old and new Gestrument so that users who bought the original Gestrument can get the new one at a discount. (The price you paid for old Gestrument is subtracted from the bundle price, so the discount depends on if you bought it at full price or during a sale, etc).

• I really don’t need this app. I ordered it anyway :D

• awesome! thanks for making this useful creation.

• App Size: 348.8 MB

Easy to delete the onboard samples?

• @chris_foster said:
    App Size: 348.8 MB

Easy to delete the onboard samples?

It's not possible to delete files inside the app bundle itself. In the future, we'll look into downloading them on-demand instead of including them in the app bundle.

• Will it support mpe controllers?

• @ohwell said:
    Will it support mpe controllers?

Gestrument Pro is not really a synth that you play with MIDI notes, it's rather the other way around: Gestrument Pro is mainly a generative/interactive controller, which happens to have some nice built-in sounds so you can make music directly without hooking it up to your favorite synths :)

• I will have a Pre Release video thingy up a bit later today, irs very very cool and clever

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Pre-orders are now open!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gestrument-pro/id1105890031?ls=1&mt=8&at=10lJXr&ct=gp

The pre-order sale price is $8.99. The release is scheduled for 25 september, at the full price of $16.99.

After release, we will also make a bundle with the old and new Gestrument so that users who bought the original Gestrument can get the new one at a discount. (The price you paid for old Gestrument is subtracted from the bundle price, so the discount depends on if you bought it at full price or during a sale, etc).

Happy, anxious and eager to pre-order BUT as a previous 'owner' should I instead wait to benefit from the previous buyer discount? Bit puzzled.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Pre-orders are now open!

Happy, anxious and eager to pre-order BUT as a previous 'owner' should I instead wait to benefit from the previous buyer discount? Bit puzzled.

I doubt the bundle discount will be as high as the pre-order sale, but I don’t have the facts. Hopefully you can apply both coupons to the same purchase. :)

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Congrats! the instrument samples are awesome. Really great for standalone and as a sequencer for other apps. This will be a massive hit.

What kind of instrument samples does it have. Do you mean real instruments like orchestral etc ?

• @CracklePot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Pre-orders are now open!

I doubt the bundle discount will be as high as the pre-order sale, but I don’t have the facts. Hopefully you can apply both coupons to the same purchase. :)

I'm pretty sure the pre-order sale is better than the bundle discount since when released it goes up to full price, unless they add the bundle now of course :)

• @Carnbot said:

@CracklePot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Pre-orders are now open!

I'm pretty sure the pre-order sale is better than the bundle discount since when released it goes up to full price, unless they add the bundle now of course :)

Yup. Not trying to nickel and dime, happy enough to pay the rate, pretty sure it's going to be worth that and plenty more....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@CracklePot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Pre-orders are now open!

Yup. Not trying to nickel and dime, happy enough to pay the rate, pretty sure it's going to be worth that and plenty more....

Yeah I’ve got it too, but pre order price is fair enough so I suckered myself into buying :)

• @universe said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Congrats! the instrument samples are awesome. Really great for standalone and as a sequencer for other apps. This will be a massive hit.

What kind of instrument samples does it have. Do you mean real instruments like orchestral etc ?

It has samples split into different genres as it were. It has electronic, a live band set up (guitar, bass, keys, drums etc..) a selection from a orchestra. It ain't massive and all encompassing but focused and concise. In fact the samples were a pleasant surprise to me because they are very usable in the context of this app. I was just thinking about the midi sequencing ability beforehand.