Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some positive thinking....

2»

Comments

• @McDtracy said:
    Do you create full songs with lyrics and just need a good voice to produce a finished track or do you need a singer/songwriter/lyricist do work over a base track?

Typically finished tracks with a scratch/demo vocal that needs to be replaced.

With someone in person in the studio it can be a different dynamic.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:
    Do you create full songs with lyrics and just need a good voice to produce a finished track or do you need a singer/songwriter/lyricist do work over a base track?

Typically finished tracks with a scratch/demo vocal that needs to be replaced.

With someone in person in the studio it can be a different dynamic.

I'm surprised the singers aren't lined up to work with you. Your SoundCloud catalog is excellent and shows tremendous command of modern producing techniques.

Of course, I'm writing as someone new to these techniques but knowledgeable about music and various genres. I was always
    into singer/songwriters and paid little attention to computer-based music. But the home studio has evolved into a variation of
    computer-based producing bringing the world of ProTools like studios to the iPad, laptops and desktops.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I think much of the limitations of this platform come from Apple. And a lot of the dissatisfaction for users like us is that our set of needs is often neglected, low-prioritized, or even directly at odds with some of Apple’s policies and directions. This platform may have evolved out of a phone/music-player model, but nowadays these devices are essentially mobile computers. There is no good reason at this point why transferring data and interfacing with hardware and peripherals should be any more difficult than the desktop platform. And yet things like the monstrosity that is iTunes, and limitations of the Lightning port interface, make simple tasks like transferring and backing up data feel frustratingly impeded. Coupled with recent decisions like eliminating the Affiliate Program, removing the headphone jack, etc., at the same time that Apple soars to trillions in profits… this state of affairs is not likely to make folks like us the most sanguine and chipper of campers lately.

Other than that, in terms of the apps themselves, things are brighter than ever and continually improving, although I would say the pace of development has plateaued somewhat compared to what it was a couple years ago (2014-2016). And of course Apple devices and the iOS environment, while not perfect, have always been the most elegant user experience, and there is nothing else that comes close — even if you are still working on something less than the latest models. I’m hopeful that the next iPad Pro will solve certain long-standing issues (can you say USB-C?) and not introduce new ones (like taking away the headphone jack!), but Apple has a way of zinging you with a two-steps-back gotcha, don’t they? So, it seems with the Cupertino Caliphs of Cartier-priced Clagnuts, it’s always a mixed story, love/hate, glass both half full and empty…

+1

• @McDtracy said:

@u0421793 said:
    I wrote a post on positive and negative feedback, a short while ago:
    http://successin7parts.blogspot.com/2014/07/is-feedback-useful-in-business-and-real.html

You blog? You vlog? Can you clog?

Learning to be positive has helped a lot of people. I tend to take a Zen Buddhist view up to a point:

First Noble Truth - To Live Means To Suffer
    (IOS helps you realize this)

Second Noble Truth - The Origin Of Suffering Is Attachment
    (we get attached to our ipads and really deepen the suffering)

Third Noble Truth - The Cessation Of Suffering Is Attainable
    (listen to the sounds - there is bliss there)

Fourth Noble Truth - The Path To The Cessation Of Suffering
    (there are 8 paths from here and this begins to sound a lot like work with hours of meditating without medication. So 3 out of 4. What's on sale? More suffering.)

Stand up straight, with your shoulders back.

Tell the truth, or at least don’t lie.

;)

• iPad Pro 12.9 + GB and a couple of High Quality AUv3’s Has made for the smoothest, most enjoyable and most stress free compositional era in my life. Mixing is almost there too...I can just about taste it.

• edited September 2018

@McDtracy said:

I'm surprised the singers aren't lined up to work with you. Your SoundCloud catalog is excellent and shows tremendous command of modern producing techniques.

(blush) Thx.

Well, I mean, it's not like I've actually put out a general call for a singer spot up for which to line. It's a case-by-case, momentary-need, project-specific situation, usually requring a completely different type of singer, or genre, key range, tempo, male/female etc., each time.

Of course, there are copious session singers online out there for hire, but I find it difficult to tell much based on their demo reels, which are always designed to show off the extremes of their range, or emulate some trendy pop star (Britney or Whitney clones, or gawd, please no more Journey "Don't Stop Believing" !!)... I don't write, or genreally need or like, that kind of stuff, so those demos tell me nothing about how a particular singer would sound on one of my tracks. Then, of course, there are budget considerations. [ I can tell in less than a minute if a singer is going to be right for the song (and most often they are NOT!), but generally these people have like a minimum charge just to give you a sample verse or whatever. ]

In terms of what I have on SoundCloud, the "Lady App-titude" projects specifically... I have engaged in some collaboration there, in several cases with Jakob Haq (ususally an 8 bar loop or something), and in other cases, with a rapper, or a sax player. Beyond that, I often use spoken phrase samples to make up for a lack of singers, stuff to keep it more interesting than just instrumental music. All that Lady App stuff was basically born out of the iPad experience and my initial enthusiasm for it over the last couple of years. In some cases, the song is actually about some aspect of iOS music making. :D But lately I've gone back to a more traditional approach, and my last few projects have had zero iOS involvement, and that's usually more where I run into the need for singers.

But, please forgive me for bathering on... This is supposed to be a thread about positivity, right? I think curmudgeon or cynic, or perhaps at-best hopeful stoic-curious is more my wheelhouse. I probably can't comment on ANY topic without quickly falling into a certain degree of kvetching. :p

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Lady_App_titude said:
    my last few projects have had zero iOS involvement

Well, that explains your pause in commenting until you shared the Pluginboutique sale.

I think we can stray off IOS just to understand more about music production.

• @Max23 said:

@Kühl said: The best tutor ever was probably Leopold Mozart.

oops, he made him such a freak show
    imagine being 8 years old and being dragged from stage to stage ...
    he was like those awful moms that dress their little girls like hookers and drag them from beauty contest to beauty contest ...
    you have very little chance to get a halfway normal emotional life with parents like this ...

Very true.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Musk has mental health issues and his comments about that English diver being a “pedo” crossed the line.

When I say “crossed” I mean “polka’d”.

AB Forum is ace though. :)

Well I suppose I'll have to look into this, as it's news to me now. My first thoughts were, "what a terrible world we live in, where famous people can't make pedo jokes about English divers without people accusing them of having mental health issues...this PC thing has gone way too far!" but then again, I don't know what diver or why he'd be molesting anything but fish, in the ocean. :)

• @Kühl said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Good reading, Marc. No one will stop you, of that I am sure.
    "There is nothing in heaven or earth that thinking does not make it so" or words o that effect.

I have always objected to the educational system I grew up with. It focused on the negative. N= Needs Improvement. Always the focus on what is wrong with us and needs to be corrected instead of forget about that bull, let's concentrate on what you do well. No wonder we grow up finding fault, criticizing and are negative about the world around us. No wonder. We are carefully taught.

Fun facts
    Regarding education systems... Beethovens father used to beat him very badly when little Ludovigo didn’t stay up practicing all night. Beethoven himself used to hit his pupils with a ruler if they played wrong.
    The best tutor ever was probably Leopold Mozart.

are you you suggesting that there would be more apptronica if we beat users into submission with rulers? put's a whole new spin on focusing on the bass and the "beat"! :)

• edited September 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

(blush) Thx.

Well, I mean, it's not like I've actually put out a general call for a singer spot up for which to line. It's a case-by-case, momentary-need, project-specific situation, usually requring a completely different type of singer, or genre, key range, tempo, male/female etc., each time.

Of course, there are copious session singers online out there for hire, but I find it difficult to tell much based on their demo reels, which are always designed to show off the extremes of their range, or emulate some trendy pop star (Britney or Whitney clones, or gawd, please no more Journey "Don't Stop Believing" !!)... I don't write, or genreally need or like, that kind of stuff, so those demos tell me nothing about how a particular singer would sound on one of my tracks. Then, of course, there are budget considerations. [ I can tell in less than a minute if a singer is going to be right for the song (and most often they are NOT!), but generally these people have like a minimum charge just to give you a sample verse or whatever. ]

In terms of what I have on SoundCloud, the "Lady App-titude" projects specifically... I have engaged in some collaboration there, in several cases with Jakob Haq (ususally an 8 bar loop or something), and in other cases, with a rapper, or a sax player. Beyond that, I often use spoken phrase samples to make up for a lack of singers, stuff to keep it more interesting than just instrumental music. All that Lady App stuff was basically born out of the iPad experience and my initial enthusiasm for it over the last couple of years. In some cases, the song is actually about some aspect of iOS music making. :D But lately I've gone back to a more traditional approach, and my last few projects have had zero iOS involvement, and that's usually more where I run into the need for singers.

But, please forgive me for bathering on... This is supposed to be a thread about positivity, right? I think curmudgeon or cynic, or perhaps at-best hopeful stoic-curious is more my wheelhouse. I probably can't comment on ANY topic without quickly falling into a certain degree of kvetching. :p

Your big brain is so cute! :) Now I don't feel bad that I get distracted and veer off of topic now and then. You do it so graciously though! btw why don't you start singing yourself? I can't sing, or so I thought and then I started, at first with massive auto tune all the time, but then it started to bring me control and I had to use less auto tune, and then even less. I am limited by my range and timbre, so I can't just sing whatever I want, but I'm finding things that I can fit my voice on and my limitations are really just a way to hone in on what I need to improve. Besides, if you try it a few times and don't like it, they can always be templates for someone else to sing your parts. I wish I had started way sooner. I might be a really good singer by now. As it is, I have plans....(wringing hands like a mad wanna be singer) and nobody is gonna stop me!!! Some of my first experiments were remakes...like I did a video for Rod Stewart's "Do ya Think I'm Sexy" which none of my metal friends or anyone else for that matter, including myself, ever expected I could pull off and couldn't fathom why I chose it. I chose it to step outside of my comfort zone. To see if I could do it. I'm happy to say it ain't that bad!

Footnote....almost all of it...filmed on Iphones and all the special effects were also created on IOS. Only the drone shots were a different cam.

• edited September 2018

I have proposed fight heal all low mood topic with Raul Midon music.

@Lady_App_titude I sing and rap (this maybe in spanish since it’s harder than sing), also some beatboxing includding invisible trumpets like Raul...
    Also have lots of friends and contacts if you (or anyone reading this) need something just drop me a pm and let’s talk.

Let’s gonna break them down (the invisible chains) altogether...

Love comes first, later the money
    Dubbylabby’s mantra.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    I have proposed fight heal all low mood topic with Raul Midon music.

@Lady_App_titude I sing and rap (this maybe in spanish since it’s harder than sing), also some beatboxing includding invisible trumpets like Raul...
    Also have lots of friends and contacts if you (or anyone reading this) need something just drop me a pm and let’s talk.

Let’s gonna break them down (the invisible chains) altogether...

Love comes first, later the money
    Dubbylabby’s mantra.

I love Raul Midón! (although the mouth trumpet part of it is not exactly my favorite part-lolz) Saw him live a few years ago! I remember him doing this song, Sunshine! So brilliant. If you can sing like Raul Midón, I’d love to hear it!

I also really like this guy named Bernhoft from Norway (who does a similarly amazing solo act, live looping etc.), although he’s finally made it big enough that he can now tour with a full band.

• Well Raul is an amazing singer and I love to sing alongside his songs but I can’t go so up like him... anyways I’m a bit proud of my skills and I will love to try something if you need it.

I don’t sing usually in english but I’m very open to explore this new frontier. Some of my friends (younger than I) could sing in english (or help me) if that’s what you need. In fact I’m more shy about my english speaking than try to sing like Raul or Bobby McFerrin (lolol)

• @bedheadproducer said:
    Your big brain is so cute! :)

Visualizing Einstein in a Hello Kitty tank top.

Now I don't feel bad that I get distracted and veer off of topic now and then. You do it so graciously though! btw why don't you start singing yourself?

I usually have to create a scratch/demo vocal for the track, sometimes 4-part harmony that gets doubled (8-10 tracks), and of course I do the best I can... So I have a pretty good idea of what my voice will sound like on the tune. Sometimes people have tried to encourage me to release the track w/ my scratch vocals. Glad I don't listen to them. I'm right; they are wrong. I have higher standards.

Back in the 90s I had an all-girl heavy metal group (power trio w/ me on guitar) + a lead singer. She wasn't that great a singer, but she looked awesome, like Lucy Lawless (Xena), and had great stage attitude. The bass player and I covered BG vox (that kind of singing is a little more manageable), and after the lead singer fizzled out (posh, preppy narcissist type who would rather spend her time vacationing in Cape Cod than playing East Village dives) the bass player and I attempted to soldier on with bass player taking over most lead vocal. But it wasn't the same. Anyway, I've been doing this long enough that I've tried a lot of different scenarios ... It's all about trying to find a match. The right person w/ the right song. The main thing is no budget, no record industry, so I haven't really made a serious effort to build up a pool of singers for these kind of projects. Mediocre singers... Those are all over the place. And you feel -- well I don't know what the word is, priggish or snobbish maybe -- whatever.. What I mean is, it can get awkward when you're asking someone to do it pro bono and then have to tell them they're not right for the track. :-)

• edited September 2018

My first dubby song (from Hiphop to Reggae journey). Also old...

2:20>>>

Chorus, freak voices (with friends) and trumpets solos :}

2:50 beatboxing layers.
    Also chorus but was a madness weed session which made me sing uncomfortable but maybe you can find some grungy soul at the end...

Very old sound from my first looping projects into something. Simple lyrics, bad pronunciation (most probably) and lots of fun and soul.

Impro/collab with some nice chorus and doubling. Very fun session xD

In fact the most things I’ve record are improvised chorus due my friends (some lost btw...) had me as joker everytime they need put some chorus and so.

Offtopic end. I need to record new references so if someone need some voices...
    :wink:

• Amazing! Thanks for the discovering!
    He has very personal voice and I think (humbly) I can do this with a song I have the enough confidence and obviously some practice.

• @LinearLineman @McDtracy

@Max23 said:

@Kühl said: The best tutor ever was probably Leopold Mozart.

oops, he made him such a freak show
    imagine being 8 years old and being dragged from stage to stage ...
    he was like those awful moms that dress their little girls like hookers and drag them from beauty contest to beauty contest ...
    you have very little chance to get a halfway normal emotional life with parents like this ...

Hehe, but I still think he was a great teacher. He wrote books on violin technique that was widely used.
    And I guess we all could just dream if being those pampered girls. You’re just envious Max 😝

but please read Fun Fact from Kühl:
    Even worse regarding Leopold Mozart, and many of you may not know this....but after Wolfgang moved to Vienna, Leopold persuaded Nannerl (Mozart’s sister) to give him her infant son to raise. He wanted to prove that it was his tutorship that made Wolfgang the AMADEUS he was. Leopold had had many pupils, but none had raised to the standard of his son. Therefore Leopold concluded a little ingredient was missing. Biological inheritance.
    Little Leopoldl (Leopold Alois Pantenon) was born in 1885. After his birth Nannerl returned to her husband and four stepchildren, leaving Leopoldl with her old father. (God griefs) The experiment was a disaster.

For more reading on this, you can buy the ebook online. Maynard Solomon - Mozart, a life (HarperCollins)
    A very easy read. Full if fun anecdotes and triva about Mozart. Recommended.

K

• @bedheadproducer said:

@Kühl said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Good reading, Marc. No one will stop you, of that I am sure.
    "There is nothing in heaven or earth that thinking does not make it so" or words o that effect.

I have always objected to the educational system I grew up with. It focused on the negative. N= Needs Improvement. Always the focus on what is wrong with us and needs to be corrected instead of forget about that bull, let's concentrate on what you do well. No wonder we grow up finding fault, criticizing and are negative about the world around us. No wonder. We are carefully taught.

Fun facts
    Regarding education systems... Beethovens father used to beat him very badly when little Ludovigo didn’t stay up practicing all night. Beethoven himself used to hit his pupils with a ruler if they played wrong.
    The best tutor ever was probably Leopold Mozart.

are you you suggesting that there would be more apptronica if we beat users into submission with rulers? put's a whole new spin on focusing on the bass and the "beat"! :)

😝 actually, with some of my musicians I’ve had to use bigger sticks than rulers 😝

• @Dubbylabby said:

I don’t sing usually in english but I’m very open to explore this new frontier.

I have written one song in my career in Spanish.. actually, it was written with a collaborator who wrote the lyrics, back in the 80s. Classic Salsa (El Gran Combo, Fania All Stars, Ruben Blades, etc.) It was called “El Girasol.” I have attempted to write lyrics in Portuguese, and failed. And I have written English-version lyrics of Samba and Bossa Nova songs originally written in Portuguese, slightly more successfully. That’s about the extent of my dabbling in other languages. :# :*

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@bedheadproducer said:
    Your big brain is so cute! :)

Visualizing Einstein in a Hello Kitty tank top.

Now I don't feel bad that I get distracted and veer off of topic now and then. You do it so graciously though! btw why don't you start singing yourself?

I usually have to create a scratch/demo vocal for the track, sometimes 4-part harmony that gets doubled (8-10 tracks), and of course I do the best I can... So I have a pretty good idea of what my voice will sound like on the tune. Sometimes people have tried to encourage me to release the track w/ my scratch vocals. Glad I don't listen to them. I'm right; they are wrong. I have higher standards.

Back in the 90s I had an all-girl heavy metal group (power trio w/ me on guitar) + a lead singer. She wasn't that great a singer, but she looked awesome, like Lucy Lawless (Xena), and had great stage attitude. The bass player and I covered BG vox (that kind of singing is a little more manageable), and after the lead singer fizzled out (posh, preppy narcissist type who would rather spend her time vacationing in Cape Cod than playing East Village dives) the bass player and I attempted to soldier on with bass player taking over most lead vocal. But it wasn't the same. Anyway, I've been doing this long enough that I've tried a lot of different scenarios ... It's all about trying to find a match. The right person w/ the right song. The main thing is no budget, no record industry, so I haven't really made a serious effort to build up a pool of singers for these kind of projects. Mediocre singers... Those are all over the place. And you feel -- well I don't know what the word is, priggish or snobbish maybe -- whatever.. What I mean is, it can get awkward when you're asking someone to do it pro bono and then have to tell them they're not right for the track. :-)

well, well, we both have guitar and a metal background in common, yet here we are making music that my high school metalheads acquaintances would have thought un-metal and therefore un-cool. Screw cliques who don't understand variety is the spice of life and that includes music!! I don't think my voice is great, but I don't care, I'm going to put songs out at times because I don't want to wait for a singer. I'll bet your voice isn't offensive but you have a right to withhold that if you wish, but I'd wager the song is king and your writing would shine through and people wouldn't pay attention to the messenger as much as the message...but hey, that's just and opinion and I haven't even heard your voice yet. i doubt you are an auditory medussa, but i know what it feels like to make similar assumptions about one's voice. BTW I'm a huge fan of Geoshred as well and that app changed how I feel about IOS before anything else did.... It's a true modern instrument, which is a rare happening...last time there was such innovation was the invention of the electric guitar and of course the synthesizer...IMHO

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Dubbylabby said:

I don’t sing usually in english but I’m very open to explore this new frontier.

I have written one song in my career in Spanish.. actually, it was written with a collaborator who wrote the lyrics, back in the 80s. Classic Salsa (El Gran Combo, Fania All Stars, Ruben Blades, etc.) It was called “El Girasol.” I have attempted to write lyrics in Portuguese, and failed. And I have written English-version lyrics of Samba and Bossa Nova songs originally written in Portuguese, slightly more successfully. That’s about the extent of my dabbling in other languages. :# :*

Maybe you can show me (us) what are you doing niw which requires the vocals so I can figure how can help you (myself or ask my friends)? :smiley:
    I’m very intrigued and even a bit motivated to record some other songs I have in my todo list!

• @bedheadproducer said:

well, well, we both have guitar and a metal background in common, yet here we are making music that my high school metalheads acquaintances would have thought un-metal and therefore un-cool.

Ha! As a matter of fact, my eclectic tendencies contributed to the break up of the metal band. Things were going along fine, and all the material we were doing was of the same sort of sound/energy-level, all written by me, and all specifically designed to appeal to a certain NYC club scene.

Then one day I suggested a song that was not that much different than what we were doing, but I would say more like “hard rock” than total hardcore death/thrash metal. I figured that we were never going to go anywhere beyond the underground club scene, or get a record deal, unless we had a “hit,” something with a little more commercial appeal.

I suggested this song called “My Heart Is A Hand Grenade,” written by a brilliant songwriter/poet friend of mine. Everyone rejected the idea and this led to our first big argument/creative disagreement. This in turn offended the songwriter, and ever after the bass player and the songwriter were never really friendly again. So in effect, the song became the “hand grenade” that blew up the band. Who knows/cares which side was right, but I still think the song could have been a hit.

I don’t know if it was so much a matter of “uncoolness,” even, but just wanting to have one song that was a little different. Prior to that group, I had always had eclectic tastes and had done everything from prog rock, acoustic jazz, fusion jazz, soul/R&B… even folk and bluegrass, and fusions of all that, so if I wanted to be “uncool,” I had plenty more extreme weapons in the arsenal (emphasis on the arse) to offend the metalheads with my genre-bending ways. :D >:) I guess you could compare it to how people hated Metallica’s “Load” album. But this was just one song!

This sort of lack of ability to stick to any genre or embrace musical identity-politics is also part of my current predicament with difficulty finding the right singers — because I’ve got music in so many radically different directions that there is no single singer solution.