Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KOSMONAUT HAS IT ALL │ feat. Bram Bos Interview - haQ attaQ 274

Yes KOSMONAUT has it all! It's a multi effect plugin for iPad and iPhone and @brambos has crammed it full of goodies. The unit packs a Multitap delay, a tape looper, a filter, an auto-panner, a reverb unit, and a haas processor. Oh and the Haas processor includes a chorus-type effect-thing. Now since this is the first ever effect plugin that Bram Bos has made for iOS (so far, please make more) I just had to get an interview with him in order to find out more about the inner workings of Kosmonaut.

Check out my review and demo of KOSMONAUT, listen to Bram Bos explain why he calls himself an app designer rather than an app developer. Find out what the haas processor does and how to simulate it yourself and more..

haQattaQ

Comments

• I really enjoyed our chat, @jakoB_haQ . Thanks for putting together this fun interreview :)

• @brambos said:
    I really enjoyed our chat, @jakoB_haQ . Thanks for putting together this fun interreview :)

Naw, thank you Bram! The chat was so interesting and Kosmonaut is a real diamond!

• Both of you fine fellows are iOS institutions. Thanks and keep up the great work!

• Grand Master App Ninja.......... Absolutely!........ ;)

• edited March 2018

Kosmonaut, is possibly the best Brambos stand-alone app to date. Useful no matter what type of music you make.

• Kosmonaut looks sweet, will be grabbing it this morning.

• Great video & app! Thanks guys...

• You're > @noisefan said:

Both of you fine fellows are iOS institutions. Thanks and keep up the great work!

You're being too kind! Thank you! :blush:

• Thanks everyone! I'm happy y'all liked the video. And it was a privilege to interview Bram! :)

• I listened to the 30+ min interview. It was very interesting! Thanks for doing it, jakoB and Bram.

• I also used Hammerhead! I never texturized any of the beats made with it. Mainly because I didn’t know about this texturize phenomena before watching this video. Good stuff:-)

• Yesterday I dived in a bit more and discovered the power of the included looper and unfortunately it’s limitation for „8 beats“
    I don’t know if this is a huge workload but it would be awesome if @brambos could open it up for more? :-)

Super versatile FX plugin which I would highly recommend to get. Jacobs title says it... it has is all ;)

• Found something peculiar, Kosmonout took out 86% of the battery percentage without being used.

What happening here?

• @bert said:
    Found something peculiar, Kosmonout took out 86% of the battery percentage without being used.

Sounds like a dreaded IAA zombie symptom. Since Kosmonaut is meant to be used as an AU plugin, avoid running it in standalone. There’s no reason to, as the standalone is there just to get it through review.

However, iOS is known to sometimes start apps in the background by itself (particularly when updating an app, for some reason).

On behalf of Apple I apologize for the wasted battery load :|

• The universe aligned to put this thread on the front page so I could see the video... I bought Kosmonaut and need to spend more time learning it. I bought it after seeing it used as a Looper.

Sorry for the battery drain but everything happens to make my life better and sometimes the innocent suffer. Bram also had his reputation damaged and for that I feel like a total shit.

OK. I'll learn the App and maybe the Universe will leave us alone.

• OT: The universe also broke a pipe at 6AM and flooded my backyard this morning (and my neighbors driveway) so it also gives me hard lessons about selecting contractors.

How's the universe treating you? Anything I should know? Incoming asteroid in your future?

• Don't use it stand alone. Strange behavior. Just deleted the app. Can always install it again.

• edited September 2018

@bert said:
    Don't use it stand alone. Strange behavior. Just deleted the app. Can always install it again.

Yes, it's an AUv3 plugin, but Apple wouldn't let it pass review without it having a standalone mode. So I added a standalone mode, which does more harm than good (because IAA is an infinite source of trouble), as your experience proves.

• @brambos said:

@bert said:
    Don't use it stand alone. Strange behavior. Just deleted the app. Can always install it again.

Yes, it's an AUv3 plugin, but Apple wouldn't let it pass review without it having a standalone mode. So I added a standalone mode, which does more harm than good (because IAA is an infinite source of trouble), as your experience proves.

That's a pity.

Saw by the way that parts(?) of the open source software of Martin Eastwood are incorporated within Kosmonaut. Might there be some problems?

• @bert said:

@brambos said:

@bert said:

That's a pity.

Saw by the way that parts(?) of the open source software of Martin Eastwood are incorporated within Kosmonaut. Might there be some problems?

No, why would there be problems? The required credits for use of the open source are given in the settings screen. Those are the only license requirements for use of the source code. It's no different to how e.g. BM3 incorporates the same code.

• Cool. Enjoyed that! Especially the cameos by the dev. Would like to see/hear more of that. Thanks :)

• @brambos said:

@bert said:

@brambos said:

@bert said:

That's a pity.

No, why would there be problems? The required credits for use of the open source are given in the settings screen. Those are the only license requirements for use of the source code. It's no different to how e.g. BM3 incorporates the same code.

That code is not maintained. So I thought there might get troubles with newer versions of iOS specific software.

• @bert said:

@brambos said:

@bert said:

@brambos said:

@bert said:

That's a pity.

That code is not maintained. So I thought there might get troubles with newer versions of iOS specific software.

Oh.. right.. none of the dsp code is iOS specific. I could run any of my plugins (well at least the audio engines) on anything that comes with a bogstandard c-compiler... watches, coffeemakers, car dashboards, robopuppies, ... :)

• I have this app but as is often the case I just jump right in and get using it without really understanding it. This video, and others by our friends here, really help to open up the mind. Thanks for that.

Then I had to then go get Perforator too. I feel more ... complete somehow.

• @brambos what you working on these days? We expect rabbits out of hats etc.

• @brambos said:

@bert said:

Is it possible for the stand alone to not be an IAA app? I have no idea, and I get that it might block certain use cases (and non 11+ users). More just curious.

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@brambos said:
    I really enjoyed our chat, @jakoB_haQ . Thanks for putting together this fun interreview :)

Naw, thank you Bram! The chat was so interesting and Kosmonaut is a real diamond!

I missed this video the first time around. Fantastic work, both of you. Would love to see/hear more "interreviews".