Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Letting the keys rip vs sequencers

I pretty much made lofi hip-hop most my life....chopping up my own synths and sounds to create original pieces and jamming em out as chops over my 16 pads...

Well I got tired of making just beats...and I've always loved various forms of electronic music...mostly down tempo ambient music and 80s sounding synth brass and leads...so I decided it's time to move into that and get away from "beats"

I never used a sequncer before in my life until this year...i grabbed xsynth, rozeta, and various other apps that allow for it. I'm still struggling cuz I mostly just love jamming out on the keys and using the arp features on most these ios synths....

So I'm struggling to make great sequences, figure out how to make dramatic changes to them on all my instruments at the same time and be creative... But I see and hear the potential....i understand the basics of sequencing / arp (i know they are different in technical ways) but is there any good videos / book that really help give more in depth guidance or do we mostly just wing it??

It's hard for me to let a sequncer play my synths for me lol cux I wana jam out on keys and pads but I see how it can play better thsn me....

I guess I can't figure out how to make patterns on a sequencers like I can with my hands.... Like I want one long pad then I want a few quick hits right after than than back to a couple long pads....and evolving sound with long tails....(gate time???) But then that same synth to do shorter hits than a variety of things, I can play it by hand but can't seem to sequence it..... Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong..... I'm thinking about getting steppolyarp but....i already have rozeta and others

Comments

• Seems like you set the notes to 1/8 1/16 1/32 etc and the gate time, but does that have to ability to change back n forth as the sequence plays ??? That's my main question

• I say stick with what you enjoy, jamming. We’re lucky to have so many cool touchscreen instruments that make this even easier. I only sequence when I absolutely have to, like in Auxy, where the pre mastered sound engine tempts me so much I just force myself to get into a composing headspace

• edited September 2018

Record your jamming as midi then see what it looks like in the sequencer?

• @Jocphone said:

Yes. You can also take piece of you own jamming in midi and then make a generative sequence out of it using Xequence (the Polyhymnia module) or Xynthesizr (the X apps rule!) then switch back to your original theme. Might change it up nicely.

• @Jocphone said:

hmm, i dont think i understand HAHA i think i kinda get it, but not sure how to execute

• @gusgranite said:

>

Yes. You can also take piece of you own jamming in midi and then make a generative sequence out of it using Xequence (the Polyhymnia module) or Xynthesizr (the X apps rule!) then switch back to your original theme. Might change it up nicely.

i do have Xsynth!

• @db909 said:
    I say stick with what you enjoy, jamming. We’re lucky to have so many cool touchscreen instruments that make this even easier. I only sequence when I absolutely have to, like in Auxy, where the pre mastered sound engine tempts me so much I just force myself to get into a composing headspace

i do enjoy just jamming out and doing spacious reverb droney things

• @reasOne said:

@db909 said:
    I say stick with what you enjoy, jamming. We’re lucky to have so many cool touchscreen instruments that make this even easier. I only sequence when I absolutely have to, like in Auxy, where the pre mastered sound engine tempts me so much I just force myself to get into a composing headspace

I totally feel you. I’ve gone and continue to go through the same thing. Trying to record your free playing into a step sequencer simply put, sucks. You may want to try recording your playing into cubasis. It will record exactly what you play as audio OR midi notes (pending the instrument used). Another way is using loopy via audiobus (though it will recoed as audio not midi notes). I know what a pain in the ass it is to just want to jam without dealing with steps, gate length etc. But stay patient and check this thread. High hopes for this one🤞🏼https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28149/real-time-sequencer-aum/p1

• @breilly said:

@reasOne said:

@db909 said:

I totally feel you. I’ve gone and continue to go through the same thing. Trying to record your free playing into a step sequencer simply put, sucks. You may want to try recording your playing into cubasis. It will record exactly what you play as audio OR midi notes (pending the instrument used). Another way is using loopy via audiobus (though it will recoed as audio not midi notes). I know what a pain in the ass it is to just want to jam without dealing with steps, gate length etc. But stay patient and check this thread. High hopes for this one🤞🏼https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28149/real-time-sequencer-aum/p1

Dope ! That looks promising ! Good Looking out.
    Right now I do mostly record to cubasis and or loopy, but I've never really tried to do anything with midi other than freeze to audio has
    Ima have to mess around a little !