Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro (now released!)

Comments

• Congrats @JesperNordin on the upcoming release. Long time fan of the original Gestrument. Will Gestrument 2 still support the Kinect like 1 did? Is the Kinect connection program even available/supported anymore ? (it was a fabulous interface to Gestrument).
    Any chance that the iPad camera could be used in a similar way? Sorry for all the questions, will be pre-ordering on day one :) Gestrument and TC-Data are two of the most innovative touch controllers anywhere...

• Thanks @Moderndaycompiler
    Yes since the cursors are Midi controllable like in the old app it will work! I am using it myself a lot in projects - see here for instance - https://www.facebook.com/berwaldhallen/videos/2094336477487316/

That said, we have pulled the old KinectConverter from our website since we have some future plans for that path, including other cameras than the Kinect...

• @JesperNordin said:
    @RajahP - Midi rec will not come before launch (it's already submitted and approved in to the AppStore), but it's our first task on the list for the first update (apart from bug fixes) - which hopefully won't take that long!
    Good to know about the Link request from multiple people, we will keep it in mind.

@kobamoto - it's also on our list, but a bit further down. We have talked a lot about implementing a simple sampler into Gestrument, but we haven't had the time to do it now. Maybe later.

Ok.. was referring to midiSequencer’s much anticipated ‘Midi Recorder’ ... good to know a midi recorder will be available in the future...

Looking great... Thanks..

• @JesperNordin said:
    Thanks @Moderndaycompiler
    Yes since the cursors are Midi controllable like in the old app it will work! I am using it myself a lot in projects - see here for instance - https://www.facebook.com/berwaldhallen/videos/2094336477487316/

That said, we have pulled the old KinectConverter from our website since we have some future plans for that path, including other cameras than the Kinect...

This is great news regarding the Kinect path and for other cameras :)

Thanks for sharing that video. Exciting possibilities. Enjoyed your videos from a few years back with Gestrument/Kinect. The first thing that came to my mind was this Modern Ensemble performance.

• Yep it’s a keeper this one, I never got into the original Gestrument very much despite being impressed with it's ability, but this takes it to the next level. My favourite way is to play with two iPads one controlling another. I also hope it will eventually get Link as I personally find Link more reliable than IAA and it feels a bit unnecessary having it in a host when you are playing it standalone on a different device. Although AB statesaving makes this useful on the same device.

But nice work from the GP team :)

Btw, @JesperNordin any plans for an AU Scalegen update?

• Sounds Sweet🍒

• Looking forward to deconstructing the clever presets you guys share when this comes out. So much bang for the buck on this one.

I especially like the slightly hidden midi looper scale thingy. Still figuring out what all I can do with that.

• @aaronpc said:
    Looking forward to deconstructing the clever presets you guys share when this comes out. So much bang for the buck on this one.

I especially like the slightly hidden midi looper scale thingy. Still figuring out what all I can do with that.

Slightly hidden? You talking about the loop function?

• During the beta testing all I did was write great music.
    Put me on fire >:)
    (I never really got any output with GesturementV1 - or connect with it playing wise.)
    I can't wait for some really indepth vids so I can go deeper into it, but the UI looks so far very easy to understand.

This app is nothing short of genius.

• One question: Why no AUv3? As a MIDI instrument it'd be great.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:
    Looking forward to deconstructing the clever presets you guys share when this comes out. So much bang for the buck on this one.

Nope. Try the "Piano Improvisation" preset. Instead of using a proper scale on the last cursor, it plays a midi file. You can import your own using "Open In...".

• @pauly said:
    One question: Why no AUv3? As a MIDI instrument it'd be great.

I would like to understand this also. If you are developing a new app that is not a host why wouldn’t you create it as an AU today? It seems to be what most people are hoping for in new releases. Is it because it adds complexity to the development?

• @aaronpc said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:

Nope. Try the "Piano Improvisation" preset. Instead of using a proper scale on the last cursor, it plays a midi file. You can import your own using "Open In...".

Thanks for the tip, that is fun! Further confirmation that this app is deep.

• @JesperNordin said:

@kobamoto - it's also on our list, but a bit further down. We have talked a lot about implementing a simple sampler into Gestrument, but we haven't had the time to do it now. Maybe later.

thanks for this

• Very impressive list of features and since I have the original Gestrument this will be an exciting application to get

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Link support would be much appreciated!

Note that you can simply host the app in any Link enabled host such as AUM or AB3, and it will get Link "for free" with all the easy synchronized jamming you're all looking for :)

• edited September 2018

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:

I would like to understand this also. If you are developing a new app that is not a host why wouldn’t you create it as an AU today? It seems to be what most people are hoping for in new releases. Is it because it adds complexity to the development?

It certainly adds complexity, but we also thought that these kind of performance-oriented apps works best as a full-app experience. So for now, it's standalone and IAA only, but I can't promise we'll never make it as an AUv3 plugin sometime in the future :)

• @JesperNordin @j_liljedahl

As much as I absolutely love what you’ve created with Gestrument Pro...

I still like the original Gestrument too and could see it’s continued use still being relevant.

Do you plan to keep the original Gestrument alive and supported? Or, will you kill it off after Pro goes live?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:

It certainly adds complexity, but we also thought that these kind of performance-oriented apps works best as a full-app experience. So for now, it's standalone and IAA only, but I can't promise we'll never make it as an AUv3 plugin sometime in the future :)

I'm a fan of AUv3 and usually look for it as a feature but I never once thought about AU during extensive beta testing. The layout of the workspace is well thought out for performance and I struggle to think about how it would work in an AU window.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:

I'm a fan of AUv3 and usually look for it as a feature but I never once thought about AU during extensive beta testing. The layout of the workspace is well thought out for performance and I struggle to think about how it would work in an AU window.

agreed.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Note that you can simply host the app in any Link enabled host such as AUM or AB3, and it will get Link "for free" with all the easy synchronized jamming you're all looking for :)

Workarounds for problems that don't yet exist? that's proactive :)

I don't work exclusively on one device and many times am using hardware (modular), Mac (abelton, Maschine) and iOS (Aum). I would like to keep these in sync and not just an app downstream on the same device.
    I sometimes use Maschine and would like Gestrument Pro to sync with that, starting and stopping with the Maschine mk3's play button as an example.

Interested to see where development goes on this. I'm onboard based strictly on my love for the original Gestrument and @j_liljedahl's pedigree.

• @Xsyst said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Workarounds for problems that don't yet exist? that's proactive :)

I don't work exclusively on one device and many times am using hardware (modular), Mac (abelton, Maschine) and iOS (Aum). I would like to keep these in sync and not just an app downstream on the same device.
    I sometimes use Maschine and would like Gestrument Pro to sync with that, starting and stopping with the Maschine mk3's play button as an example.

Interested to see where development goes on this. I'm onboard based strictly on my love for the original Gestrument and @j_liljedahl's pedigree.

Yes, so load the app in a host that supports Link and IAA (such as AUM), and you can sync it with other devices, for example Ableton on your Mac. You get the additional bonus of being able to add FXs etc as well in case you're using the internal synth in Gestrument Pro. :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:

Thanks for explaining. From the beta testers’ feedback it sounds like it’s not an issue. Good luck with the release.

• It certainly adds complexity, but we also thought that these kind of performance-oriented apps works best as a full-app experience. So for now, it's standalone and IAA only, but I can't promise we'll never make it as an AUv3 plugin sometime in the future :)

That's what I thought about Egoist too, but now it's here as a AUv3 I can't imagine using the standalone again.

• @skiphunt - I'm curious as to what you think is better in the old Gestrument? We know there are a few features still not in place, like recording, but other than that more or less everything you could do in the old one is doable in Gestrument Pro, even if the names are sometimes different (Gestrument "Pulse Density" = Gestrument Pro "Legato Probability" in reverse for instance).

Our plan is to keep the old Gestrument for a while to let people have the possibility to buy Pro through a bundle, and then probably take it off the AppStore.

• edited September 2018

@JesperNordin said:
    @skiphunt - I'm curious as to what you think is better in the old Gestrument? We know there are a few features still not in place, like recording, but other than that more or less everything you could do in the old one is doable in Gestrument Pro, even if the names are sometimes different (Gestrument "Pulse Density" = Gestrument Pro "Legato Probability" in reverse for instance).

Our plan is to keep the old Gestrument for a while to let people have the possibility to buy Pro through a bundle, and then probably take it off the AppStore.

It could just be that at one point I spent the time to really learn Gestrument and still feel more comfortable in it as a result. Where as with Pro, I’m still learning.

What about rhythm randomness and glide controls?

By the way, that’s really cool giving those who purchased the original a way to get Pro discounted via app bundle. Well done! :)

• edited September 2018

@JesperNordin said:

Reading this made me completely blow a gasket!!
    I forgot for a second how volatile everything is in the app store and was therefore willing to buy this one.

Thanks for reminding me to stop throwing away my money in such an ephemeral ecosystem.

• edited September 2018

Seems like it’s more important for the ‘host’ to have Ableton Link start/stop.. Sector (IAA) seems to respond well in AB3 with Link (on a second device) running Lumbeat’s Future Drummer with Ableton Link start/stop...
    Gestrument 1 don’t seem to sync to AB3 or AUM ... is it me?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

I was going to wait for Link support before suggesting independent "play/stop" toggle on each circle. This app is a good one when you feel that creative current flow and having Link onboard will only enhance that. Thanks for making this!

• edited September 2018

@Philippe said:

@JesperNordin said:

Reading this made me completely blow a gasket!!
    I forgot for a second how volatile everything is in the app store and was therefore willing to buy this one.

Thanks for reminding me to stop throwing away my money in such an ephemeral ecosystem.

Even if Gestrument is taken off the store (no new purchases possible) it STILL remains in your account for as long as the developers themselves don't cease their contract with Apple.
    You can download it whenever you want to all your (compatible) devices.