Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Preforator adds movement

New to using Preferator by bram bos. Its great for adding movement and spice to long pads and ambient jams. Well laid out and fast to use.

Comments

• Yep great app as always by Bram Bos.

To be honest there are few things iOS that I look forward to as much as a new Bram app :)

• Great app by brambos, no argument there.

• I love Perforator too, use it all the time!!

• edited September 2018

I think this the one brambos app I don’t own cause I got envolver and haven’t explored it nearly enough, yet, but I’m sure I will get it eventually

• @pedro said:
    I think this the one brambos app I don’t own cause I got envolver and haven’t explored it nearly enough, yet, but I’m sure I will get it eventually

I found envolver too involved for me, I wonder if I might prefer preforator...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@pedro said:

I found envolver too involved for me, I wonder if I might prefer preforator...

Yeah Envolver is still sat in my ‘learn how to use one day’ folder, while I just fiddle with preforator and it does stuff that mostly sounds good lol

• edited September 2018

Layering two Perforators is good fun too. One fast, one slow etc. Sometimes put FX between them. Love it with Egoist too. I use it constantly now, all yum!

• It’s just a shame it doesn’t save state / presets upon close and reopen in bm3.

• @universe said:
    It’s just a shame it doesn’t save state / presets upon close and reopen in bm3.

Erf? It does for me.

• @AudioGus said:

@universe said:

Erf? It does for me.

Really ? I stopped using it because it kept defaulting back to the default preset when I reopened a song and as that happens in a lot of plugins like the Chris Randal ones I just thought maybe it was just the way it was with some plugins in bm3. Maybe i was mistaken though

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@universe said:

Me too. It comes back with exactly the same parameters loaded.

No, it doesn’t restore the preset name, but there’s a good reason for that. State Save means all the parameters are restored as they were. But, you could have loaded a preset, then tweaked it before saving the project. Now, which are the correct parameters associated with that preset? The ones from the preset itself, or the ones after you tweaked it? The settings you left when you saved the project could possibly have no relation to the original preset. You could have radically changed every parameter.

State Save and Preset Save are two different things. I can see why some people who just use presets would want it the way you expect, but it could lead to some big misunderstandings to restore that preset name.

On the other hand, if apps restored the preset name with some kind of indicator that it has been modified, that might be clearer for people.

• @wim said:

@universe said:

No, it doesn’t restore the preset name, but there’s a good reason for that. State Save means all the parameters are restored as they were. But, you could have loaded a preset, then tweaked it before saving the project. Now, which are the correct parameters associated with that preset? The ones from the preset itself, or the ones after you tweaked it? The settings you left when you saved the project could possibly have no relation to the original preset. You could have radically changed every parameter.

State Save and Preset Save are two different things. I can see why some people who just use presets would want it the way you expect, but it could lead to some big misunderstandings to restore that preset name.

On the other hand, if apps restored the preset name with some kind of indicator that it has been modified, that might be clearer for people.

Ok well that’s good to know thanks. I’m not sure why I thought it was not reloading with the preset I had used when I had closed it but I guess I must have done something wrong.

• @breilly said:
    New to using Preferator by bram bos. Its great for adding movement and spice to long pads and ambient jams. Well laid out and fast to use.

I've used a few times this weeks to add emphasis instead of full on gating. Basically setting everything at 100 and then boosting and dipping a few slices a bit adds drum machine style accents to anything. Love this app.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

Ok well that’s good to know thanks. I’m not sure why I thought it was not reloading with the preset I had used when I had closed it but I guess I must have done something wrong.

You really can’t do anything wrong with AUv3 state saving. It “just happens” when a project is saved. But, preset name and the saved state are two different things. The saved state is the parameters as you adjusted them last. The preset name, whether it’s saved or not, is a totally different thing.

Or ... maybe you used the IAA version rather than the AUv3.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

You really can’t do anything wrong with AUv3 state saving. It “just happens” when a project is saved. But, preset name and the saved state are two different things. The saved state is the parameters as you adjusted them last. The preset name, whether it’s saved or not, is a totally different thing.

Ok I think I know what confused me. It seems that b3 does save your last used preset in the AU when closing projects. But when you reload the session, the preset you left it on, does not get highlighted or even shown in some AUs, so I thought the app had gone back to the default preset. But the preset setting is the same as before, it’s just not shown for some reason.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

Ok I think I know what confused me. It seems that b3 does save your last used preset in the AU when closing projects. But when you reload the session, the preset you left it on, does not get highlighted or even shown in some AUs, so I thought the app had gone back to the default preset. But the preset setting is the same as before, it’s just not shown for some reason.

You didn’t follow a thing I said I guess. But I think you get the general idea.

Lemme try it another way. You have a box labeled “Star Wars Toys” in your closet. You take it out, take some or all the Start Wars toys out, dump in some Legos, a pickle, and some dirty socks, close it up, and put it back in the closet. The next day you take out the box that is still labeled “Star War Toys”. What are the contents? Star Wars toys only?

The preset name is the label on the box. The saved state is what was in the box when you put it back in the closet. Apps that don’t show the preset name are avoiding a possibly misleading label on the box.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the preset name isn’t a state savable AUv3 parameter anyway. I could be wrong on that one though.

• Causmonot might cause you to pause and consider other options in your jams or not

• edited September 2018

@wim it had to be a pickle?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Yes. Because we were talking about BM3.

• @wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Yes. Because we were talking about BM3.

More than fair.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

@wim said:

@universe said:

You didn’t follow a thing I said I guess. But I think you get the general idea.

Lemme try it another way. You have a box labeled “Star Wars Toys” in your closet. You take it out, take some or all the Start Wars toys out, dump in some Legos, a pickle, and some dirty socks, close it up, and put it back in the closet. The next day you take out the box that is still labeled “Star War Toys”. What are the contents? Star Wars toys only?

The preset name is the label on the box. The saved state is what was in the box when you put it back in the closet. Apps that don’t show the preset name are avoiding a possibly misleading label on the box.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the preset name isn’t a state savable AUv3 parameter anyway. I could be wrong on that one though.

I appreciate the reply but i understood you the first time. I think we are both on the same page more or less. My only query was why the preset label on your box of toys that you play with disappears when you take the box out of the closet again.

When I choose a preset. Even when you don’t make any tweaks to it at all and leave it exactly the same way, and close and reopen the app, the preset label disappears. Which can be confusing. All I needed to know was the last part of what you said which is that present labels are not state saved.