Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GROUP THE LOOP - Tutorial & Demo Video

First time I've done a demo for Group The Loop, I found this to be great to work with and also it has lots to offer the user now too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/group-the-loop/id1029416579?mt=8&uo=4&at=1l3voJz

Comments

• Amazing app without doubt!

• @Dubbylabby Yes it is, I’m really happy you made a comment, I honestly thought no one was interested in Group The Loop anymore

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dubbylabby Yes it is, I’m really happy you made a comment, I honestly thought no one was interested in Group The Loop anymore

Sign me up, add me on; heard people enjoying it, but never got my head round it. Will go and get me some of your Cornish Scallie learning...

• @JohnnyGoodyear Hey Lord Johnny, yes, at first I thought it looked complicated, but it turned out to be very intuitive and easy, top job

• edited September 2018

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dubbylabby Yes it is, I’m really happy you made a comment, I honestly thought no one was interested in Group The Loop anymore

My personal struggles with iOS11 and novation/focusrite soft/hard made me buy a mac mini (again) and go to the hardware route but GTL is one of the few apps (BlocsWave/Garageband and few more) which I keep like gold in my mini, even I never give it the true effort and time it deserves. This last also derived from my dissenchantment with live looping in general. Said that, the approach in scenes with quantization is for me the nearest to an Ableton Live for Audio looping in iOS realm (waitig for Masterpiece since some of this workflow I suggested to @Michael like one midi binding for multiple slots and so on).

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

Sign me up, add me on; heard people enjoying it, but never got my head round it. Will go and get me some of your Cornish Scallie learning...

Well @jmarshallgtl is an amazing and responsive developer so aside running polls for priority features development he’s very open to new wishlist and so. In fact I started a topic about how about the possibility to make a small AUv3 version of one of these “group” block from the looper and also answered in other about how to implement multiple outputs bus coloured based so imagine a picker like blocswave to paint each loop and each color being route to a dedicated bus input in AUM... :wink:
    You can check them and I encourage (any of) you to collab there even if you haven’t the app. Asking for betatesting usually means yes of course from Jack.

http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/190/iphone-version-let-s-talk-again
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/189/official-feature-wish-list

Some learning (what I need to made it Cornie or scallie?)

To copy a loop from one slot to other you need, after select it when one finger until it detaches from the clip, touch it with another finger to make arise from the bottom of the interface the options “move” “copy”. Touch and there you go!

About merge and merge and copy+merge you was doing it right and the receptor slot has the merged loop meanwhile original slot keep the copied (original source) loop. If you don’t copymerge then it just merges over the destination slot.

About undo I need to look into it... since I’m more a midi binder (the futurama robot with iOS :mrgreen:) I will just map undo to a button since the tap and swipe makes me feel to attached to the screen. My keytar isn’t going to play alone for the God’s sake!

Interesting things for handbusy and other pervert people such musicians :trollface: Jack implemented my suggestion (inspired by Ehx 68000) of “load previous or next song” from midi binding. So you label these properly ala
    00Intro
    01themotivationsong
    02hellotoallthearrivinglateragaincunts
    03mymotivationjokerishsecondsongonlyforloyalandpuntual
    04patreonizemeandIwillsendyoumytwoineditsongsmaxi...
    ... etc and go through your songs like a playlist. :wink:

Audio input is a marvel. From regular mic/iAA to AUv3 fx loading in the fx slots.

Drummer has differents styles and also Jack has considered the possibility to add new.

Stretching/pitchshifting realtime (after round resample)

And amazing interface.

To end my best trolling post when two betas ago we were waiting for some screenshots or whatever from Jack and he was so busy bring all this features to even control the trolls (controll) at the forum... :smirk:

http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/116/finally-some-new-features-of-gtl-snapshots
    TrolltheLoop :trollface:

• Wow.

@Dubbylabby

Given us some learnings to do there Mister. And I thank you for them.

• I've never gotten along with GTL. It just seems to do weird stuff, like requiring the blues drummer to be in 12/8, and if you happen to end up on that screen it will reset the BPM and time signature on everything. It has so much promise and if I'd had more time to help with the bug hunting I'm sure I'd like it better as the dev is quite responsive.

• @fprintf said:
    I've never gotten along with GTL. It just seems to do weird stuff, like requiring the blues drummer to be in 12/8, and if you happen to end up on that screen it will reset the BPM and time signature on everything. It has so much promise and if I'd had more time to help with the bug hunting I'm sure I'd like it better as the dev is quite responsive.

Did you posted at forum? I’m a boring 4/4 person but Jack even fix a bug I found with strange behaviour in input screen in less than two days from I notice him!

Sometimes pointing these is the only thing dev needs... also improving the not 4/4 stuff could be helpful to bring more users (those who love polyrithym app) so don’t throw the towel yet...

• edited September 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Wow.

@Dubbylabby

Given us some learnings to do there Mister. And I thank you for them.

Just adding my grain of sand Monsieur
    :wink:

• Those of you that have not tried this most excellent app should dive in.
    A couple of time savers: you can 2 finger tap to mute/unmute and if you get into several groups they will be listed at the bottom of the page and you can tap “group 6” and it will take you directly there.
    Also the copy/paste function is aces.

• This, or Infinite looper?

• @Telstar5 said:
    This, or Infinite looper?

Different animals I think. Audio looper and MIDI looper respectively.

I think this is a great looper with a very intuitive layout mostly and some unique cool features.
    @jmarshallgtl also seems a responsive and skilled developer and a nice guy too.

• @Ben said:
    Those of you that have not tried this most excellent app should dive in.
    A couple of time savers: you can 2 finger tap to mute/unmute and if you get into several groups they will be listed at the bottom of the page and you can tap “group 6” and it will take you directly there.
    Also the copy/paste function is aces.

Doug (and I) were struggling with copying, especially (as I wanted to) across between groups, but when you've swiped down on a group to reveal its FX etc you can see a small arrow to the right and this leads you to the copying and exporting choices.....it's that OLD story; you get nowhere with an app until you get it and then it's much fun. Thanks Sir Doug for pushing me through the portal etc....

• @Telstar5 said:
    This, or Infinite looper?

To my ears and brain two utterly different quality apps.....this so much more (for me) performing and Infinite more for Midi looping etc (not exclusively, but it's what I love about it....). Both great sketchers and both it seems really good with-it devs...

• I have never gotten along well with loopers. I tend to give up too quickly when I’m unable to get it to sync correctly. If this is half as easy as you made this appear, Doug, I’m all in. I watched your video and a couple others that I found and I think we’ll get along just fine. I don’t know how I missed this one. Thanks for the great video, Doug.

• edited September 2018

Update: I'm sure this has been done to death already but I was having sufficient fun with this that I was quickly wishing there were more than 4 slots per group. I know the master has another 4, but they soon fill up, which is a great testament to how completely easy and immediately quick it is to just load another synth and start adding/jamming/playing...

• This for audio looping , or loop the loop?

• This is the best looper on ipad. I just wish it worked on iphone, it would be the perfect companion with the op-1.

• @JohnnyGoodyear When you are happy with a mix of four loops in a group you can merge them together by dragging one loop on top of another, therefore freeing up more spaces, you could go on and on like building up many loops into one group

• edited September 2018

@Telstar5 The good thing about Infinite Looper is that after you have constructed your track or song you can export the midi into say Cubasis and it will create separate midi tracks for each part, then you can use and edit any sounds you like

• @fattigman said:
    This is the best looper on ipad. I just wish it worked on iphone, it would be the perfect companion with the op-1.

Yeah sounds like a nice combo... I wish GTL had MIDI Sync I/O for integrating hardware/external DAW.. hopefully one day :# <3

• edited September 2018

@iamspoon said:

@fattigman said:
    This is the best looper on ipad. I just wish it worked on iphone, it would be the perfect companion with the op-1.

Yeah sounds like a nice combo... I wish GTL had MIDI Sync I/O for integrating hardware/external DAW.. hopefully one day :# <3

One workaround I suggest everytime an user ask for midi from link (or other apps such serato dj) is to load a korg sync signal into, let’s say AUM, and route a hardware output to one volca hardware. You will need in addition mod that volca with a midi output but it’s so straightforward that anyone can do it as first iron soldering exercice.

The point for me is the oppossite, having external clock doing the master and loopers became slaves... and there is where the future AUv3 version could be amazing inserted directly in AUM/AB3 or Host of your choice... check my link for the iPhone version request, I have explained my ideas there and Jack shared some insight about possible roadmap. :wink:

• edited September 2018

Yep using a looped audio recording of the korg sync signal is quite a nice way to get sample accurate(ish) sync and I do have a modified Monotribe that could then convert the sync to output MIDI.
    This is cool but not quite what I need since I want to sync everything from a Master Clock from a PC DAW. (not Ableton!)
    I agree with the idea that having a Looper run as a slave within a Host then using that as the master clock would be great, however if you don't want the iPad as MIDI clock master then the host would have to then accept MIDI clock input which neither AUM/Audiobus nor Cubasis etc currently do AFAIK.

• edited September 2018

Mmmm...

@iamspoon said:
    Yep using a looped audio recording of the korg sync signal is quite a nice way to get sample accurate(ish) sync and I do have a modified Monotribe that could then convert the sync to output MIDI.
    This is cool but not quite what I need since I want to sync everything from a Master Clock from a PC DAW. (not Ableton!)
    I agree with the idea that having a Looper run as a slave within a Host then using that as the master clock would be great, however if you don't want the iPad as MIDI clock master then the host would have to then accept MIDI clock input which neither AUM/Audiobus nor Cubasis etc currently do AFAIK.

Just use loopyHD.
    For me it’s still the best looper in midi/link syncing and routing possibilities even as Master. I’m not so sure about @jmarshallgtl implementing midi clock but let’s hope it does it some day. Meanwhile check bomebox and if Bome still not implemented link, push them and send them a wave. I’m asking them to implement those bizarre things like OSC since before they even release the box.

GTL for me it’s more about backing tracks in live environment where I can put some loops but not necessary ALL the loops. The song structure is brilliant and the looping cappabilities make it a looper of course but in the end IAATM (it’s all about the music).
    If I need more experimentation or composition tool then LoopyHD is the king.

I’m getting older I know but for my simplicity is the key (after years decades of being uber sofisticated workflow) so I know it’s isn’t a solution but maybe an epiphany...

Spoiler alert: therapy moment...

• In fact now I’ve sold the microarranger to can afford a mac mini again I probably will do most looping on garageband live loops than any other iOS looper.
    • For live gigging if I go experimental (or open mic) probably LoopyHD due iPhone support. * If I need to go through a personal playlist I will go with GTL/itrack dock/some midi controllers (but only because it means there is money involved) or...
    • ...directly Mainstage/keytar (more money involved) or Mainstage/motorized_thinga_ like digis or tascams (cheaper than Apc40mk2 in craiglist and firewire multiple outputs ^^ ) to do directly my dubwise (and even better pay gigs)

So it’s up to oneself workflow and goals. I still suggest workarounds and improvements due I can’t stand for but I barely use any of my 98% apps and I thing it’s going lower and lower. Maybe I will risk and update to iOS12 but I have zero trust in Apple roadmap.

I can see myself going full standalone in 3 years.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear When you are happy with a mix of four loops in a group you can merge them together by dragging one loop on top of another, therefore freeing up more spaces, you could go on and on like building up many loops into one group

Didn’t know that! Thanks Doug.

• Thanks for the vid and rekindling my interest! I don't have GTL yet but I have been thinking of just getting back into another 'zone out / straight to audio' phase for a little while now. I think GTL will be a good round 2 contender. Last time I did it was with Blocs Wave and resulted in some issues I think I can avoid now. Having the 'master group' should cut down on redundant audio clips in my project exports and having FX / filters should really help the post export mixing phase a lot more this time. Thinking of daisy chaining the three ipads together this weekend.

• Hmmm, I have not got Group the Loop yet but was wondering if we able to easily export sessions ipad to ipad without iTunes? Just trying to prethink my three ipad looper rig and this would effect where I put it in the chain.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    AudioShare!

I mean the whole session as in the placement of the wavs in the individual groups, not just exported stems!

• Nop. I remember @jmarshallgtl pointing something in this direction but not sure about actual state...