Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM effects routing....

edited September 2018 in General App Discussion

question, i think ive seen this done, but maybe i wrong.....
is there a way to have the effects in a channel bus send to a seperate channel...
so that channel only has the wet from the effects, and the main channel be just the dry ?
trying understand this pre/post/efxslot bus send more...

also....what is .... ''all pass (1st order / 2nd order)'' under the filter eq section...i read the manual and have
used AUM for a while, but i guess i never got into more complex routing but im finding the need for it more and more

Comments

• i think i got it, run a bus send in the effects slot...change it to pre...in the bus slot add effects change them to pre...and boom it seems to be seperated...

still not sure what all pass is tho

• im wondering if i did that right tho, and if it will cause phasing issues ?

• @reasOne said:
    im wondering if i did that right tho, and if it will cause phasing issues ?

Aum has a tool to flip the phase in stereo processing section

• Allpass filters are a type of filter. And they are among other things used to mess with signal phases.

• edited September 2018

@ToMess said:

@reasOne said:
    im wondering if i did that right tho, and if it will cause phasing issues ?

Aum has a tool to flip the phase in stereo processing section

ahh! i forgot all about that, GLO

@brambos said:
    Allpass filters are a type of filter. And they are among other things used to mess with signal phases.

im gonna have to read up on this then, def dont wanna get phase in the mix! man ive been building a dope little sequence with one instance of COLLDR on two synthmaster one AUs...this is the first time ive spent a couple hours just digging in to COLLDR and i gotta say...i love the results im getting right now! gonna try to record the live jam and post it up later tonight

• @reasOne said:
    i think i got it, run a bus send in the effects slot...change it to pre...in the bus slot add effects change them to pre...and boom it seems to be seperated...

still not sure what all pass is tho

That's how you route signals: send to a bus and place the effect in the channel that's being fed by that bus. In this case you should set the effect to 100% wet and adjust the mix between dry and wet either by the amount you're sending (if you're sending several channels to the same bus, this allows you to set different relationships of dry and wet) or the level of the effect channel (if you're just sending one channel or to adjust the overall effect sound). If you do leave a dry signal coming out the effect then you risk phase issues between the main dry channel and the dry signal in the effect channel.

An obvious advantage to running effects in busses is that you can route several channels of audio to a single effect instead of having multiple copies of an effect in every one of those channels.

Regarding pre and post fader, this is dependent on how you want the effect to react to changes in the fader of the sending channel. In very general terms, you typically want insert effects (i.e. effects that are put directly into an audio channel) to be pre-fader and bus sends to be post-fader.

Why? Again, this is just typical behavior, but traditionally insert effects are those that "fix" the sound in some way. Think compressors, noise gates, EQs, de-essers, etc. These tend to be level dependent, so you don't want them to be affected by the channel fader. E.g. if you set a noise gate to a certain level when the fader is up, as soon as you adjust the fader down more, most, or all of you sound will be below the threshold and you'll just have silence.

For bus sends, these, traditionally, tend to be for treatments to enhance the audio. Think reverbs, delays, etc. Here, you typically want the effect to respond in a similar manner to the main audio with fader changes. I.e. if you lower the level of a track you typically want the reverb to also lower in volume. If you had the effect send pre-fader then lowering the channel volume would decrease the dry sound, but leave the wet reverb fully on.

Obviously, setting pre / post is entirely up to the effect you are trying to achieve. You might want to have a noise gate post fader and have your sound become more and more gated as you drop the level. Or you might want to fade the dry signal and have its reverb still going strong and so have your send pre-fader.

Typically /traditionally (especially on hardware mixers) there's no such thing as a post-fader insert. And pre-fader sends are typically used for creating monitor mixes.

Regarding all pass filters; they are filters that pass all of the frequencies, but change the phase relationships. Why would you want that? First off, end users, typically, don't deal with all-pass filters. They are typically used by circuit / algorithm designers. All filters affect the phase relationship of frequencies. In some cases a designer will use an all pass after another filter stage to "correct" the phase change. For special effects, allpass filters with delays in feedback loops are a method of creating artificial reverberation. Of course, the most obvious use is as a Phaser.

Try this:

Have a nice, fat sustaining sound in Channel 1. Set send A to pre-fader (so you can mute channel 1 without affecting the send to bus A) and put the second order filter in the second channel. If you mute Channel 1 and adjust the all pass filter you won't hear anything (well, in AUM, if you adjust it quickly, you'll hear zipper noise). Now, unmute Channel 1 and you'll hear a nice Phaser effect when you adjust the all pass.

• @aplourde yooooo! Thank you for this post! Very insightful and helpful! Trying all this now and getting much better results !!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Guys question?
    The Master Effects Channel: should the effects be Post fader or pre?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys question?
    The Master Effects Channel: should the effects be Post fader or pre?

Unless you're riding the master fader itself, it doesn't really matter. I think most probably default to PRE so that if you adjust the fader for some reason, it wont affect the volume heading into the chain.

• @reasOne said:
    @aplourde yooooo! Thank you for this post! Very insightful and helpful! Trying all this now and getting much better results !!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

+1