Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some positive thinking....

edited September 2018 in Other

First Id like to thank the creator of Audiobus for making such a killer app that has really improved the IOS experience and for giving us a forum to talk about IOS music making...Three Cheers for Audiobus and the man behind it!!

Ok, Since I've joined this community, both in spirit and in actuality, I'm driven mainly by one thing...a vision of the future, of progress, of where this current journey will lead us.

I see a lot of gratefulness but also lots of complaints. We as humans tend to pick apart that which is...deconstruct it and point out the flaws. I think we yearn for better, for more, but in the process we look for what wrong first rather than what's right.

So I'm hoping together we can think about two things even more..... focus more on what's right about what we have now...IE amazing technology, amazing ideas and tangible results brought to fruition by great minds. Then skip ahead. Pretend the limitations we all now have are not there. Draw conclusions on what can be, what will be instead of just what is.....look more at the bigger picture further ahead because this is going to make it so that many, many people, who could never afford to buy expensive synths or recording hardware or even expensive software, able to finally record album quality music and finally afford to get into the music production game like we already have.....not to mention what it an do for those of us already lucky enough to have a ton of options that will allow us to change our scenery where we create at the drop of a hat.

I see the incredible potential of this platform and our desire to make good music. But I'm limited by what I can do by myself. So I try to gather great minds and people that don't procrastinate and actually do, so that I may further the cause, move things along and make more potential a reality. Along the way I'm often met with much resistance. Many negative thoughts get thrown across my path, because most of us lack the resources to do anything....alone. That's why it's probably wiser to join forces, pool resources, move things along with more positive thinking and action than to just sit in our bubble and say "that will never work" out of frustration and lack of power.

Together we can speed this along, and benefit from this...and maybe make this corner of the world a better place for us and our friends, family and children.

What started this train of thought for me was Joe Rogan and Elon Musk's think tank discussion on Joe Rogan's show. They both tend to look ahead in the future and try to see a bigger picture than that which is right in front of our faces and obvious.

I love this place and the people here....so please excuse my little attempt at a pep talk and positivity , if it at all ruffles you the wrong way. Maybe my newness and lack of experience gives me the luxury of a "the sky is the limit" kind of attitude, but I'm looking for people to team up with, to collaborate with, to work hard with, to promote more awareness of our great corner of the WWW and possibly , together, find ways to work with developers and maybe even apple, to speed this whole process up and show the world what amazing things can be done. on IOS devices. In the end, to me it's all about us making more great music that the world can enjoy...but I'm also a tech hound, hungry for what's next....and to me it looks huge...monumental even.I'm not alone in these thoughts am i?

Comments

• Nice and clear thinking mate. Onward and upward I always say.

"We become that which we think about most of the time..." I once read...and strive to remind myself constantly o:) <3

• I can see most of this happening here already!
    The only thing I really hope for is that developers will join forces much more than they do today.

• Nice post, it’s worth to reading it twice!
    I’m a strong believer in positive thinking in all aspects of life. So you are not alone with your thoughts @bedheadproducer ! 😊👍

Thanks a lot for sharing and have great day mate!

• edited September 2018

Adaptability and focus are keys to improve oneself.

If we are seen lots of negativity or complaints around the platform (iOS itself, audiobus is another trend...) it’s due Apple is shifting its priorities more than ever related to artists and makes some of us consider options outside iOS ecosystem and even Apple ecosystem.

I bought a full specs late 2012 mac mini yesterday. I will use it for end my garageband/blocswave projects into garageband/logic/Ableton. Also for mainstage (I needed to sell my hardware arranger to get cash) and maybe some djing with Traktor.
    Some blogging, video editing, pages and keynotes for business...

Most of these things were unnecessary meanwhile it was a hobbie. Now I’m trying to transform it in my daily job so I need proper tools and iOS (almost in my mini4) hasn’t the old trust factor.

So adapt myself and find the way like water but maybe in the process I left definetly audiob.us forum due I use just 2 apps and none with audiobus. If I continue posting is for the community and the devs but things move foward and those who can’t adapt themselves could find themselves lost in nowhere...

• Good reading, Marc. No one will stop you, of that I am sure.
    "There is nothing in heaven or earth that thinking does not make it so" or words o that effect.

I have always objected to the educational system I grew up with. It focused on the negative. N= Needs Improvement. Always the focus on what is wrong with us and needs to be corrected instead of forget about that bull, let's concentrate on what you do well. No wonder we grow up finding fault, criticizing and are negative about the world around us. No wonder. We are carefully taught.

• This thread is heavy man.

• I’m all for it. Thanks

• Musk has mental health issues and his comments about that English diver being a “pedo” crossed the line.

When I say “crossed” I mean “polka’d”.

AB Forum is ace though. :)

• 100%
    Good stuff here.

Also, please allow us 2-3 days a year to gripe about Apple’s product releases :lol: just be glad you weren’t here when we heard iphone 7 lost the 3.5mm jack. (Pitchforks, angry mobs, etc)
    don’t worry, we always come back around. And I agree, vision and positive creativity will be what takes us places.

• My 2 cents: many little apps requiring constant updates (getting them randomly) on an evolving ecosystem, on a far than being cheap pro devices, will end up costing you much more than full blown laptop (still portable), pro software (and functionnality) and controllers. Not to say that all those apps together won’t deliver in term of stability, and interconnectivity, and random crashes might be hard on sanity, with no resell value.
    So realism might not sound positive.
    Experience brings understanding, but at a certain cost, of energy, time and money.
    Positive: I won’t fool myself twice.

There are a lot of nice little fun apps and a lot of creativity coming from developpers and users which is super cool, but apple don’t make music related devices, so workarounds become milestones at the price of fun and usability.

A lot has been done since the beginning, but does’t look like a revolution or a real return on investment. No CEO in the hive.

That said, a bunch of cool little fun apps to make sound anywere on an ipad mini: I say yes!
    My advise: keep it at that scale no
    matter how promising upgrading might sound.
    Or at least not yet.

• @Philippe said:
    My 2 cents: many little apps requiring constant updates (getting them randomly) on an evolving ecosystem, on a far than being cheap pro devices, will end up costing you much more than full blown laptop (still portable), pro software (and functionnality) and controllers. Not to say that all those apps together won’t deliver in term of stability, and interconnectivity, and random crashes might be hard on sanity, with no resell value.
    So realism might not sound positive.
    Experience brings understanding, but at a certain cost, of energy, time and money.
    Positive: I won’t fool myself twice.

There are a lot of nice little fun apps and a lot of creativity coming from developpers and users which is super cool, but apple don’t make music related devices, so workarounds become milestones at the price of fun and usability.

A lot has been done since the beginning, but does’t look like a revolution or a real return on investment. No CEO in the hive.

That said, a bunch of cool little fun apps to make sound anywere on an ipad mini: I say yes!
    My advise: keep it at that scale no
    matter how promising upgrading might sound.
    Or at least not yet.

I’m definitely edging more towards this way of thinking. Yes I get lots of fun from all my iOS apps. I love my Air2 for the convenience of making music anywhere and quickly. The problem is it’s not been that cheap to get where I am now. If I was to start again, I could do this much more cheaply, but it’s too late for that now.

While fun still, do I carry on throwing money into the app pot and then a new iPad (only the Pro series gives me much more than my Air2 at this time, without the compromises of the 2018 iPad has even against my Air2).

Maybe a laptop / DAW / few high end synths is the way to go? My iPad then just becomes an instrument.

• @bedheadproducer said:
    First Id like to thank the creator of Audiobus

It's worth mentioning that Apple will stop paying for App Store referrals soon (the Affiliate Program paid %7). This Forum has had a healthy revenue stream from App referrals and that will soon stop.

If you have NOT purchased some of the Apps the Forum owners make that might be a good way to help ease the transition from the current Apple revenue levels to some future level.

The Apps include:

• AudioBus Remote (which allows you to control the iPad instance from your iPhone or even multiple iPhone instances over bluetooth)
    • SampleBot
    • Loopy - a great "traditional" Looper app that can work w hardware pedals and cost less than a Boss Loopstation

Purchasing will show your support for this forum in the most positive form available barring direct donations which should also be considered. Maybe the owners will create a Patreon account to enable us to giving a monthly "tip" for service.

Long term I think great training has the most value to us as a group after creating useful Apps.

I love this place and the people here

It's a wonderful collection of people and communication styles.

It's a community and has a wide variety of humans behind it.
    Overtime you'll get to know the regulars and you might elect to skip threads from some that use this soapbox to push for changes to Apps in ways you might find annoying. If not here, where can they vent and push for change.

Gee... I guess you're pushing for change and venting a bit. That's cool. My bad. Those at the edges negotiate the location of the center in a community. "Who's with me?" We shift that way.

There's isn't another Forum like this and what binds us together is a social version of the AudioBus without the feature to mute some inputs.

Well, there is a use setting MUTE. Every thread and comment has the author's handle up front so the reader can selectively read through and protect themselves as needed from negative or frustrating views.

I admit it's often hard NOT to read someones latest rant and not get too excited or settle an old score from negative feedback. It's also sometimes entertaining to see long running feuds evolve into a cautious detente.

PS - Try to collaborate with @Lady_App_titude She's a master of computer music production with years of software and hardware knowledge. She's also a guitar player that can pull off a decent George Benson solo or an original spanish guitar etude. I'd like to hear you play over one of her mixes and have her take a solo on something you assemble.

• When I think where I was IOS wise only 3 years ago I think the platform has finally found its legs. There's many more options and more overall stability (clock sync, AUV3 etc).

I'm not the biggest fan of appoholism and gear addiction that surrounds us but also have to recognise that thanks to it, the app economy wheel keeps turning and most of our fave devs can keep doing what they're good at.

To sum up. All good.

Top that with Apple keeping us on our toes with their propensity for shaking things up that gives us a reason for bitching on this forum equals....

Paradise :)

• @rs2000 said:
    The only thing I really hope for is that developers will join forces much more than they do today.

I want this too. Mostly because I’m afraid that my fave developers will just up and die and leave their apps unattended.

• edited September 2018

I am often here with critical commentary, (lack of tempo changes within songs for the love of gods), because I want this to be a platform that a wide array of musicians can use for serious music making.

But that doesn't mean I don't have a lot positive to say. I don't say it often on this forum because y'all already get the current awesomeness and potential of this platform.

I've shared my setup with other musicians and impressed quite a few with what you can do now.

For me, I have an iPad that is at once:

• A few drum machines (Ruismakers <3)
    • Sampler/sample player (Virsyn AudioLayer <3)
    • A bunch of soft synths, and (Icegear <3, Virsyn Tera <3)
    • A song sequencer for all of the above (Modstep <3) and for other hardware synths (Moog <3, Monologue <3)

And all that, I have guitars that cost more than all that. Frak, I have a guitar pedal that cost more than that.

And this is mainly for live. But I wont use all of that for a finished studio product.

• For some prominent parts, my hardware synths will be better enough to want to use.
    • My real drum samples, they're gonna sound better with BFD3.
    • There are some eDrum sounds I'll prefer to get from Tremor

And to be honest, some of that is me being picky and having had some of the analog bits before I got turned on to the iPad potential. No reason I could use all iOS sounds, aside from the guitars, vocals ofc.

But hey, I will have all the midi done. The live setup is halfway there. And I recorded half of that on the subway. Seriously has improved my speed on songwriting. It is a happy period for me.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

While fun still, do I carry on throwing money into the app pot and then a new iPad (only the Pro series gives me much more than my Air2 at this time, without the compromises of the 2018 iPad has even against my Air2).

Maybe a laptop / DAW / few high end synths is the way to go? My iPad then just becomes an instrument.

That's what I do now. My Air2 isn't really up for creating full-blown finished pieces, so I use it as a sketchpad for 'chunks' of rhythms and whatnot to export to the desktop, and as an instrument plugged straight in for recorded audio.

Same as you though I've invested a small fortune into iOS apps, so I don't really want to throw it all away yet. I'm waiting for a cost-effective upgrade to appear for my ailing Air2, if not then I'll get a second-hand Pro.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

That's what I do now. My Air2 isn't really up for creating full-blown finished pieces, so I use it as a sketchpad for 'chunks' of rhythms and whatnot to export to the desktop, and as an instrument plugged straight in for recorded audio.

Same as you though I've invested a small fortune into iOS apps, so I don't really want to throw it all away yet. I'm waiting for a cost-effective upgrade to appear for my ailing Air2, if not then I'll get a second-hand Pro.

We seem to be in similar boats. I liked where my Air2 was price wise at the time. I feel very much in between the iPad 2018 and the 10.5 Pro Model at this time. One feels a tad more than I need and am willing to pay, while the other compromises on the screen too much.

On the Mac side, I like yourself feel they are running away from a point I’m willing to pay at entry level. I also have so many bad memories of using Windows.

While I would like to go laptop, at this time, a Mac Mini might have to be the option, unless they stop putting the UK prices up. When a laptop starts costing the same as a high end hardware synth, I’m dubious of its value.

If it continues this way, I might just save up for a classy analog synth and record everything in audio to my iPad :D

• I bought BeatMaker 1 for $4 and installed it on my iPad 2 with 12GB of storage and started learning to make beats like it's 2005! Now I can't use BM 1 on my iPhone 5S or iPad 2018 but I can live with that because my iPad 2 was feeling left out. And if I take my iPad 2 out and someone steals my backpack I'll be mildly upset.

If you accept the borders of an environment and focus on what CAN be done you can still find fulfillment.

• Dualism overrated.

• edited September 2018

I think much of the limitations of this platform come from Apple. And a lot of the dissatisfaction for users like us is that our set of needs is often neglected, low-prioritized, or even directly at odds with some of Apple’s policies and directions. This platform may have evolved out of a phone/music-player model, but nowadays these devices are essentially mobile computers. There is no good reason at this point why transferring data and interfacing with hardware and peripherals should be any more difficult than the desktop platform. And yet things like the monstrosity that is iTunes, and limitations of the Lightning port interface, make simple tasks like transferring and backing up data feel frustratingly impeded. Coupled with recent decisions like eliminating the Affiliate Program, removing the headphone jack, etc., at the same time that Apple soars to trillions in profits… this state of affairs is not likely to make folks like us the most sanguine and chipper of campers lately.

Other than that, in terms of the apps themselves, things are brighter than ever and continually improving, although I would say the pace of development has plateaued somewhat compared to what it was a couple years ago (2014-2016). And of course Apple devices and the iOS environment, while not perfect, have always been the most elegant user experience, and there is nothing else that comes close — even if you are still working on something less than the latest models. I’m hopeful that the next iPad Pro will solve certain long-standing issues (can you say USB-C?) and not introduce new ones (like taking away the headphone jack!), but Apple has a way of zinging you with a two-steps-back gotcha, don’t they? So, it seems with the Cupertino Caliphs of Cartier-priced Clagnuts, it’s always a mixed story, love/hate, glass both half full and empty…

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I think the much of the limitations of this platform come from Apple. And a lot of the dissatisfaction that for users like us is that our set of needs is often neglected, low-prioritized, or even directly at odds with some of Apple’s policies and directions. This platform may have evolved out of a phone/music-player model, but nowadays these devices are essentially mobile computers. There is no good reason at this point why transferring data and interfacing with hardware and peripherals should be any more difficult than the desktop platform. And yet things like the monstrosity that is iTunes, and limitations of the Lightning port interface, make simple tasks like transferring and backing up data feel frustratingly impeded. Coupled with recently decisions like eliminating the Affiliate Program, removing the headphone jack, etc., at the same time that Apple soars to trillions in profits… this state of affairs is not likely to make folks like us the most sanguine and chipper of campers lately.

Other than that, in terms of the apps themselves, things are brighter than ever and continually improving, although I would say the pace of development has plateaued somewhat compared to what it was a couple years ago (2014-2016). And of course Apple devices and the iOS environment, while not perfect, have always been the most elegant user experience, and there is nothing else that comes close — even if you are still working on something less than the latest models. I’m hopeful that the next iPad Pro will solve certain long-standing issues (can you say USB-C?) and not introduce new ones (like taking away the headphone jack!), but Apple has a way of zinging you with a two-steps-back gotcha, don’t they? So, it seems with the Cupertino Caliphs of Cartier-priced Clagnuts, it’s always a mixed story, love/hate, glass both half full and empty…

This times a trillion.

• edited September 2018

@McDtracy said:
    PS - Try to collaborate with @Lady_App_titude She's a master of computer music production with years of software and hardware knowledge. She's also a guitar player that can pull off a decent George Benson solo or an original spanish guitar etude. I'd like to hear you play over one of her mixes and have her take a solo on something you assemble.

I appreciate the thought, and I'm generally open to the idea of collaborating, but mostly what I need in that area are vocalists. As someone who plays most instruments and composes music and lyrics in most any style, but can't sing to save my life, I am always looking for singers, and sometimes rappers. But the human voice is a highly singular sound, and perhaps one of the most difficult work with via online collaboration.

• @knewspeak said:

This times a trillion.

Which is just about what Apple's worth nowadays, innit?

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@knewspeak said:

This times a trillion.

Which is just about what Apple's worth nowadays, innit?

It certainly is, let's hope they use it wisely.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I appreciate the thought, and I'm generally open to the idea of collaborating, but mostly what I need in that area are vocalists.

Have you been able to find vocalists seeking a producer? I can't imagine one hanging around this forum trying to understand what we're chatting about. Do you create full songs with lyrics and just need a good voice to produce a finished track or do you need a singer/songwriter/lyricist do work over a base track?

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

I appreciate the thought, and I'm generally open to the idea of collaborating, but mostly what I need in that area are vocalists. As someone who plays most instruments and composes music and lyrics in most any style, but can't sing to save my life, I am always looking for singers, and sometimes rappers. But the human voice is a highly singular sound, and perhaps one of the most difficult work with via online collaboration.

No need to fear
    no need to worry,
    the angels are coming
    they’re just in no hurry.

• @u0421793 said:
    I wrote a post on positive and negative feedback, a short while ago:
    http://successin7parts.blogspot.com/2014/07/is-feedback-useful-in-business-and-real.html

You blog? You vlog? Can you clog?

Learning to be positive has helped a lot of people. I tend to take a Zen Buddhist view up to a point:

First Noble Truth - To Live Means To Suffer
    (IOS helps you realize this)

Second Noble Truth - The Origin Of Suffering Is Attachment
    (we get attached to our ipads and really deepen the suffering)

Third Noble Truth - The Cessation Of Suffering Is Attainable
    (listen to the sounds - there is bliss there)

Fourth Noble Truth - The Path To The Cessation Of Suffering
    (there are 8 paths from here and this begins to sound a lot like work with hours of meditating without medication. So 3 out of 4. What's on sale? More suffering.)

• @LinearLineman said:
    Good reading, Marc. No one will stop you, of that I am sure.
    "There is nothing in heaven or earth that thinking does not make it so" or words o that effect.

I have always objected to the educational system I grew up with. It focused on the negative. N= Needs Improvement. Always the focus on what is wrong with us and needs to be corrected instead of forget about that bull, let's concentrate on what you do well. No wonder we grow up finding fault, criticizing and are negative about the world around us. No wonder. We are carefully taught.

Fun facts
    Regarding education systems... Beethovens father used to beat him very badly when little Ludovigo didn’t stay up practicing all night. Beethoven himself used to hit his pupils with a ruler if they played wrong.
    The best tutor ever was probably Leopold Mozart.

• I am going to say something negative about AB & why I don't use it. I don't want hearing damage from that noise when an app crashes in AB. I don't want to risk hearing it so I don't use it. But I appreciate these forums.

When I first started playing with iOS I was inspired and I still am but the infinite beta side to iOS does get irritating. Now I'm hesitant to put much time into any app as I've been burnt multiple times from them being abandoned. Eg. I think BM3 has been abandoned and we're just too naive/positive to realise.

All that aside, iPad/iPhone make great instruments and sketchpads. Hopefully in the near future I can stop using a macbook pro but for my professional work it is a necessity.