Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any Apple Pencil users that use it it for audio apps. Please experiences?

Curious about experiences with the Apple Pencil by audio app users on this forum. Is it worth it to buy and use a Pencil?

Comments

• I’ve used it with beatmaker 3 for mixing and editing on the small midi timeline since I can’t see with my finger. Looking back is it worth the hundred dollars not at all. If you can get a stylus it pretty much does the same thing.

• def worth it for so many of these synths/apps.
    for example...do you use idensity? or any apesoft apps, ..those tiny red horizontal sliders are rough by finger, but a breeze with the pencils nice pointy tip...
    knobs, sliders, menus..everything is more accurate and fun with the pencil , its my fav tool, i use it more than my roli.

• edited September 2018

I like to draw so a Apple Pencil is a no brainer with a iPad Pro. In some app it’s a nice option but I wouldn’t buy one just for music apps alone. Bit of a side note but I’m fairly convinced we will see a Apple Pencil 2 by the end of the year so first gen Apple Pencil prices should drop quite a bit if this happens.

• it makes the whole ipad user experience a little more fun, and practical imo...i bought just for music apps cuz i was sick of those tiny ass parameters LOL, i know its gotta be that way due to the nature of the ipad...but its made the whole experience better for me

• I borrowed one from a friend and tried it over a few days with my music apps - but it never clicked with me at all. I don't even think I'd use the apple pencil if I got one for free...

• I've had one for the last year., haven't used it as much as I'd like to creatively. Mostly use it to take notes in Goodnotes4 and occasionally to manipulate synth parameters or doodle in procreate.

There is this cool app called "pen2bow" which is specifically designed to use the pencil in a musical context, simulating bowing violin strings, taking advantage of tilt/pressure/etc. Would be nice to see more apps like that or current apps take advantage of it -- seems to be some untapped potential there.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pen2bow/id1358113198?mt=8

• Yep, SOME Stylus is great for Piano Rolls and such.
    It would not need to be an Apple Pencil,

BUT...

for any other use, like hand-writing or painting or sketching etc., I very much prefer the Apple Pencil above others!

And hand-writing is also possible for writing notes in Score Apps!

• It is very cool with Notion. And yes, Pen2Bow !

• Hi,
    I love drawing and sound design with the Pencil. Highly recommended :)

• Finally a way to use Thesys? $15 app + $100 iPencil= bargain!

• The pencil is really good for drawing, what I hate about it is that you can't turn it off ( Apple like using energy and screwing the recharge on your battery so decreasing it's life span - but no surprise in that ), the dumb cap that could have been an eraser. Lastly charging via the iPad WTF, who ever dreamt that ergonomic design fart should be awarded CEO promotion.

• @knewspeak said:
    The pencil is really good for drawing, what I hate about it is that you can't turn it off ( Apple like using energy and screwing the recharge on your battery so decreasing it's life span - but no surprise in that ), the dumb cap that could have been an eraser. Lastly charging via the iPad WTF, who ever dreamt that ergonomic design fart should be awarded CEO promotion.

this!!!

• you can charge it via lightning cable too hehe, just makes it fast and mobile to plug into the ipad, 15 seconds chargning gives you a lot of life and barley touches the ipad

• just get the pencil haha you wont regert it LOL

• edited September 2018

@reasOne said:
    you can charge it via lightning cable too hehe, just makes it fast and mobile to plug into the ipad, 15 seconds chargning gives you a lot of life and barley touches the ipad

That 15 seconds of charging bull is not what it seems, maybe if you plug it into a wall, but I lost my adapter somewhere near the beginning so the iPad is all I've got.

Still, it charges quickly, probably 10 minutes or slightly less from 0-full while using around 4% of battery of a 10.5 iPad Pro. The pencil battery doesn't last as long as it says it does, maybe a quarter or a little more of an iPad battery cycle, and that's not using it constantly.

If you write or draw, I'd vote it as essential. If you're just looking for music app knob manipulation though, any other decent stylus should get you through.

• Barley touches the iPad? What about yeast? Safale S-04?

• Editing samples inside of BM3. Makes trimming and slicing super precise

• Would never go back.

• @mannix said:
    Curious about experiences with the Apple Pencil by audio app users on this forum. Is it worth it to buy and use a Pencil?

Absolutely. And if you are experiencing screen freezing sometimes, it will go away with use of the pencil.
    For writing notes on a score, it’s the best option.

• My god! A way to use Thesys is like a cure for cancer. Not very easy to work out :smiley:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @stormywaterz said:
    I’ve used it with beatmaker 3 for mixing and editing on the small midi timeline since I can’t see with my finger. Looking back is it worth the hundred dollars not at all. If you can get a stylus it pretty much does the same thing.

Any tips for a cheap and good stylus for iPad?

• Thank you all. Still undecided if it's worth the price. Probably I go for a cheap stylus first. As @stormywaterz and @greengrocer remarked any advise for a good one is appreciated.

• @mannix said:

I think it shows it's most effectiveness on the Pro models. It makes you believe you're using a pencil/pen with zero latency.

On the 2018 iPad it's not so perfect... noticeable lag due to cheaper graphics hardware to lower the price.

I haven't found a reason to use it for any music apps.

For drawing or handwriting it's pretty damn good esp on Pro's but so much better than other drawing options.

• I'll keep saying it. I use it everyday for all these music apps... Just bought discord 4 and I'm especially happy to have the pencil for that, those are tiny ass knobs on the reverb lol

• edited September 2018

@mAxjUlien said:
    Far as I’m concerned it is essential to iPad Pro. If you keep it stationary or unpair it after use...the battery lasts very long. Motion depletes it rather quickly. Unpairing or swipe up cutoff your iPad Bluetooth isn’t very difficult and saves a lot of juice.

Can you explain how to do that? I just turned the iPad off but the battery still drains.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    Far as I’m concerned it is essential to iPad Pro. If you keep it stationary or unpair it after use...the battery lasts very long. Motion depletes it rather quickly. Unpairing or swipe up cutoff your iPad Bluetooth isn’t very difficult and saves a lot of juice.

Can you explain how to do that? I just turned the iPad off but the battery still drains.

In recent versions of iOS, toggling the Bluetooth icon in the control center doesn’t actually turn off Bluetooth on the iPad. It disconnects some connected devices. AirPods and — I think — Apple Pencil stay connected.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@mAxjUlien said:

@mistercharlie said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@mAxjUlien said:

In recent versions of iOS, toggling the Bluetooth icon in the control center doesn’t actually turn off Bluetooth on the iPad. It disconnects some connected devices. AirPods and — I think — Apple Pencil stay connected.

Yeah...my apologies. You have to go into Bluetooth and unpair which is a PITA but still solves the quick drain. Most of us get used to plugging Pencil into IPad for 5 minutes before use however. Just thought I’d mention the cause of the issue.

Yep... an off button is planned for the Pencil “Pro” probably someday... oh well.