Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM2

13»

Comments

• @mAxjUlien Ya know, this statement of yours is exactly the thing ... "It really just comes down to what you’re trying to accomplish" ... and something I need to think more about. Cheers.

• @mAxjUlien said:
    If Beatmaking is your thing...BM3 doesn’t have any competition on iOS. Not Bm2, not NS, not anything. Not even sure anything is even close.

iMPC . But
    -They tend to launch new paid versions instead of updating (classic->Pro->Pro2)
    -Slow updates (well ,BM3 update is also delayed)
    -BUGS

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    If Beatmaking is your thing...BM3 doesn’t have any competition on iOS. Not Bm2, not NS, not anything. Not even sure anything is even close.

Could you possibly elaborate on this?

What exactly is beatmaking for you and how is BM3 best in it?

I always thought that the sampler is the good part of BM3, and maybe the song mode for composing.

• Many thanks, @mAxjUlien

And dito about GB ;)

• edited September 2018

I resurrected bm2 on my phone and realise how good it is too. Never pondered on the possibility of using it on the iPhone and transferring to bm3 before. Doh!
    Though in practice does it use file apps? As otherwise it would seem that I would have to copy and duplicate over gigabytes worth of my well organised bm3 sample folder ?

• For those wanting to use AUv3 instruments/fx in BM2: as with other IAA only hosts, AUM is a working go-between...AUM is IAA, and handles the midi the BM2 sends, so...

• @mAxjUlien said:

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about its feature set.
    It's more often the workflow that many struggle with, which is somewhat "unusual" to say the least. We can learn to use it, no question, but musicians are usually neither too patient nor too "logical" - and that's how BM3's workflow feels like for me.
    Hate to say it, but this and the lack of hardware sync options somewhat forced me to use Gadget as the main DAW. I'm missing the great sampler though, and for sampling-based beatmaking, there's indeed hardly a better option than BM3, except hardware boxes like the ones from Elektron...

• @mAxjUlien said:

@tja said:
    Many thanks, @mAxjUlien

And dito about GB ;)

No problem. GB is the single reason (there are many) why u won’t hear me bitching Apple out. They pack more value in their machines than anyone so I can’t complain about what they charge us for this amazing ecosystem that empowers so many artists and creatives.

@rs2000 said:

@mAxjUlien said:

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about its feature set.
    It's more often the workflow that many struggle with, which is somewhat "unusual" to say the least. We can learn to use it, no question, but musicians are usually neither too patient nor too "logical" - and that's how BM3's workflow feels like for me.
    Hate to say it, but this and the lack of hardware sync options somewhat forced me to use Gadget as the main DAW. I'm missing the great sampler though, and for sampling-based beatmaking, there's indeed hardly a better option than BM3, except hardware boxes like the ones from Elektron...

Fair criticism. No midi slave and AL slippage are known issues yet to be addressed. Still, i find little bugs like those part of character as Hardware isn’t free from those and many frequently are never fixed. As I mentioned my original MPC 2500 has a ton of em that have endured decades.

I guess I understand workflow issues compared to say gadget (which I love also) but Bm3 compared to Ableton or Logic? Hardly see it any less intuitive. I think that to be a more fair comparison considering BM3 has significantly more features than Gadget. I mean...Auria is exponentially more difficult than GarageBand for the same reason.

In the end...man are we spoiled. So many options. I will say it’s almost scary to think how much better Bm3 will get after intua’s promised next update fixes the issues and adds whatever “UI enhancements”. has taken them this long to work on. Then, there’s iPhone and Desktop coming.

Very true, we have plenty of options serving most workflow preferences today.
    Concerning usability, comparing BM3 and Ableton Live, I find Live so much easier to use than BM3 with its pad-centric approach, it's almost no comparison. Live's session view with all routing, mixer, plugins/instruments/presets/loops browser all foldable and on one page, also the bottom pane that shows the clip's content when the clip is selected and the track's content (instruments and/or FX) when the track is selected. Super-simple, no questions left. All seems so logical - but maybe it's just me.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Choice is great. Choice helps you find something that works for you - BM2, BM3, Cubasis, Auria, iMachine, BeatHawk, Gadget, GR16 etc etc etc. At some moments in the creative process, one app will just be right while another is lacking.

The above is one of the things that attracts me to iOS music making - the choices and variety of approach are within grasp at very cheap prices.

The main problem I have and mainly why I’m still searching for an approach, is the poor communication between apps. One app may be perfect for writing and starting a project, then you find you can’t share the midi stems, just the audio. To me this is the biggest gripe with the iOS Mix and match approach.

So yeah, BM2 May feel right for some ways of making music, then the limits show. Maybe it’s lack of money or resources, but so many iOS apps seem to have little corners cut. They be great in many areas and then have some silly limitation. At times it’s almost made me think of going to a Mac plus iPad approach, but then it’s the cost!

• Exactly .. If you live in the states and your credit isn’t horrible, Apple has a pretty generous financing program. As soon as the new AIR or whatever they’re gonna call it hits next month, that’s gonna be my jam. iPhone or iPad straight into Logic for fine tunining.. and use my pro iPad 12.9 for a second screen/control surface .. not to mention the new Logic version were all expecting..Meanwhile I’m still checking out those Pete Johns GB videos.. Amazing what you can do w just that.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Choice is great. Choice helps you find something that works for you - BM2, BM3, Cubasis, Auria, iMachine, BeatHawk, Gadget, GR16 etc etc etc. At some moments in the creative process, one app will just be right while another is lacking.

The above is one of the things that attracts me to iOS music making - the choices and variety of approach are within grasp at very cheap prices.

The main problem I have and mainly why I’m still searching for an approach, is the poor communication between apps. One app may be perfect for writing and starting a project, then you find you can’t share the midi stems, just the audio. To me this is the biggest gripe with the iOS Mix and match approach.

So yeah, BM2 May feel right for some ways of making music, then the limits show. Maybe it’s lack of money or resources, but so many iOS apps seem to have little corners cut. They be great in many areas and then have some silly limitation. At times it’s almost made me think of going to a Mac plus iPad approach, but then it’s the cost!

Your conclusion is where I ended up, which ironically...is where I started. BM3/Egoist/AUSynths (SM1 mostly) + GB. GB serving as remote tracker for Logic as the files are interchangeable and available to open in files on Mac just as easy as on iPad so the workflow between iOS/OS is all but seemless.

This is pretty much my workflow but without GB. Are you saying that you export stems from b3 to gb and then to logic? Why not go from b3 straight to logic ?

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:

@universe said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Choice is great. Choice helps you find something that works for you - BM2, BM3, Cubasis, Auria, iMachine, BeatHawk, Gadget, GR16 etc etc etc. At some moments in the creative process, one app will just be right while another is lacking.

Your conclusion is where I ended up, which ironically...is where I started. BM3/Egoist/AUSynths (SM1 mostly) + GB. GB serving as remote tracker for Logic as the files are interchangeable and available to open in files on Mac just as easy as on iPad so the workflow between iOS/OS is all but seemless.

This is pretty much my workflow but without GB. Are you saying that you export stems from b3 to gb and then to logic? Why not go from b3 straight to logic ?

I do that too. I started using GB again after purchasing a Roli Seaboard because it was/is the only iOS DAW that records and hosts full MPE and includes some really great MPE instruments. The icing was being able to bring B3 in as an IAA and create seemless that way (launch/record endless amounts of patterns from Scene Mode) or track our per sound. The ice cream on top of all that is GarageBand files open directly in Logic no stem required. Just pop into iCloud folder and load up where I left off in B3/GB.

Makes sense. And a good way of incorporating some of the good stuff from GB into a track. Though personally don’t think I’d have the patience to track each sound from b3 into gb and I like to have each sound separate for mixing. If you have 25 tracks that would be too tedious for me.

• edited September 2018

is BM2 stable? So... solid timing, no crashes?

• Whats the maximum of audiotracks? Can I import 32 audiotracks 10 mins each and do a mixdown of the project?
    • Is there a '16 level - note' function? Can I play a melody with a sample on a pad?

• My experience so far is that BM2 is very solid.

https://intua.net/beatmaker-2/

• @kinkujin said:
    My experience so far is that BM2 is very solid.

https://intua.net/beatmaker-2/

Does it have files app support

• Ah nevermind.. I can do everything + more in Caustic already..