Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THE BEST PART OF APPLE WWDC/KEYNOTE EVENTS IS...

Comments

• @MobileMusic said:

@u0421793 said:

@MobileMusic said:

@u0421793 said:

@MobileMusic said:
    … and even the nation's 2nd largest eye-care plan EyeMed …

What on earth are you talking about? The nation doesn’t have such a thing as an eye-care plan at all, and there’s no such thing as EyeMed. Are you just making stuff up?

http://portal.eyemedvisioncare.com
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica
    https://www.google.com/search?q=luxottica+acquires+eyemed

You see, that first link isn’t even in the nation – it’s in some foreign country!

Is this another trap? If you scroll down on their site page, it shows Location Ohio in the footer

Maybe, you are not in the US?

• btw Does the XR also have 4 speakers and 4 mics? Can't find that info

• I’m glad my iPhone 6s is sufficient for my needs. And I get to keep my headphone jack!

I’ve got a feeling the next iPad Pro announcement is going to be pretty underwhelming as well. “We took out the headphone jack, didn’t increase the RAM, didn’t upgrade the camera, but hey! Face ID! Now you can control GarageBand on your iPad with facial expressions! And it only costs $2,700!”

• @bert said:

@alteredmoods said:
    So, anybody thinking that Apple isn't going to drop the headphone jack from iPads got a real nice clue in today's "event".

I will go ahead and buy myself a 12.9" Pro, kit it out, and wave goodbye to the Apple ecosystem. That should last me a few years and let me make a few records with it, and if I'm still making music in 3 or 4 years I'll probably just go back to Windows, get a Surface or something and be done with it.

Every Mac board I read is on fire with anger from this, but Apple is not interested in its customers at all.

Those new iPhones may be a little bit expensive but be fair, the new model 2018 iPad isn't. So, it makes no sense to complain about everything Apple does, doesn't it?

Of course it does. Apple used to be the perfection of form and function. Now, they’ve completely lost the plot. $1450 for an iPhone? There is less than nothing that thing does that makes it worth that price. I don’t care how big, OLED, dual camera, 3D Touch, Maxi FaceID, A12 Supercalifragilistic it is.

Removing the headphone jack on their pro tablet for what? So I can spend a minimum of $20 for a dongle, that I’ll likely forget? Or buy their substandard wireless headphones that I’ll forget to charge? All In the name of progress? No, I’m good. This event helped me plan out the rest of my time in the ecosystem. I haven’t bought a Mac since 2011. IOS was going to be it regardless.

And they do this because enough people don’t complain. Enough don’t push back and vote with their wallets. If they don’t remove the thing you care about today, they will certainly do it tomorrow.

• @alteredmoods said:
    So, anybody thinking that Apple isn't going to drop the headphone jack from iPads got a real nice clue in today's "event".

I will go ahead and buy myself a 12.9" Pro, kit it out, and wave goodbye to the Apple ecosystem. That should last me a few years and let me make a few records with it, and if I'm still making music in 3 or 4 years I'll probably just go back to Windows, get a Surface or something and be done with it.

Every Mac board I read is on fire with anger from this, but Apple is not interested in its customers at all.

We never know as Apple is secretive. Ever since they removed the headphone jack from iPhone 7 a couple of years ago, how many more newer iPads did they release without removing the jack? If they had those intentions and if this is any clue, they would have removed it from the 2018 iPad but no. iPad has so much room and no need to be waterproof like an iPhone - they may retain the jack and heck, they may even add a few additional ports to iPad (but we never know :neutral:)

• edited September 2018

@alteredmoods said:

@bert said:

@alteredmoods said:

Those new iPhones may be a little bit expensive but be fair, the new model 2018 iPad isn't. So, it makes no sense to complain about everything Apple does, doesn't it?

Of course it does. Apple used to be the perfection of form and function. Now, they’ve completely lost the plot. $1450 for an iPhone? There is less than nothing that thing does that makes it worth that price. I don’t care how big, OLED, dual camera, 3D Touch, Maxi FaceID, A12 Supercalifragilistic it is.

Removing the headphone jack on their pro tablet for what? So I can spend a minimum of $20 for a dongle, that I’ll likely forget? Or buy their substandard wireless headphones that I’ll forget to charge? All In the name of progress? No, I’m good. This event helped me plan out the rest of my time in the ecosystem. I haven’t bought a Mac since 2011. IOS was going to be it regardless.

And they do this because enough people don’t complain. Enough don’t push back and vote with their wallets. If they don’t remove the thing you care about today, they will certainly do it tomorrow.

People (including Steve Balmer of Microsoft who openly ridiculed and mocked at it) said harsher things when the first iPhone was released for $600 at a time when a $200 flip phone was considered a luxury. But we cannot compare iPhone 1 to iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 to iPhone Xs now. We are talking 7 nanometer Bionic chips with neural engine, machine learning, AI and all that are capable of doing 5 trillion operations per second as compared to a few billion operations a few months ago.

We are not just paying for their hardware. It is also the software, R&D, patents (iPhone was launched with 220 patents), royalties, FDA approvals (iWatch is FDA approved now), legal fees, marketing, workforce, equipment, manufacturing, logistics, overheads, etc. Above all, the ecosystem and the AppStore. Software and hardware design and development are not cheap - leave alone marketing and selling them. A platform is not worth anything if there aren't many apps and there aren't many devs developing apps for the platform. It is not worth anything even if there are apps but the platform itself has issues such as latency, fragmentation/multiple screen sizes, malware, etc. Can we produce music on Android with its age old latency issues like we can on iOS? There are always cheaper options like older versions and carriers offer deals too (my coworker got 2 iPhone 6s on buy-1-get-1-free from their carrier when it was released).

I won't spend $1500 on a phone and I have no use for such an expensive phone. I'm more than happy with my 6s.

• edited September 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@alteredmoods said:

@bert said:

@alteredmoods said:

People (including Steve Balmer of Microsoft who openly ridiculed and mocked at it) said harsher things when the first iPhone was released for $600 at a time when a $200 flip phone was considered a luxury. But we cannot compare iPhone 1 to iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 to iPhone Xs now. We are talking 7 nanometer Bionic chips with neural engine, machine learning, AI and all that are capable of doing 5 trillion operations per second as compared to a few billion operations a few months ago.

We are not just paying for their hardware. It is also the software, R&D, patents (iPhone was launched with 220 patents), FDA approvals, legal fees, marketing, workforce, equipment, overheads, etc. Above all, the ecosystem and the AppStore. Software and hardware design and development are not cheap - leave alone marketing and selling them. A platform is not worth anything if there aren't many apps and there aren't many devs developing apps for the platform. It is not worth anything even if there are apps but the platform itself has issues such as latency, fragmentation/multiple screen sizes, malware, etc. Can we produce music on Android with its age old latency issues like we can on iOS? There are always cheaper options like older versions and carriers offer deals too (my coworker got 2 iPhone 6s on buy-1-get-1-free from their carrier when it was released).

I won't spend $1500 on a phone and I have no use for such an expensive phone. I'm more than happy with my 6s.

Sure, at the moment there’s the option to buy a cheaper/older model. The worry with Apple’s current love of making more and more expensive kit, is that in a few years time there won’t be cheaper options available.

Already happened with the MacBook Pro. The cheapest model is now £2,500, when a few years back it was around £1500.

If they carry on like this, in a few years time most of us won’t have the luxury of deciding which platform to use - we’ll be priced out of the Apple version.

So there’s important decisions to make on software purchases now, if we’re not going to be able to afford a device to run them on in three years time.

• edited September 2018

I've been following Apple and using their stuff for many decades.

I always chuckle when I see people complaining about Apple's prices on the internet, because it's always been this way, going back decades. Apple is very smart in the way they price their products imo.

Apple has many "budget" products right now, including the entry level iPad which doesn't cost a lot. I'd say that entry into the Apple eco-system has never been cheaper than these past few years.

And the cheapest iPhone is now the iPhone 7 which is $449, so there's something there for all budgets. Not everybody is going to be able to afford the top tier Apple products. That was the case many decades ago and that's still the case today.

• @mannix said:
    btw Does the XR also have 4 speakers and 4 mics? Can't find that info

On the specs page and the camera page it says stereo recording and playback.
    So the XR's only 'drawback' is the screen with the same pixel resolution as my iPhone 5 which is fine by me :)

When the XR drops by at the local stores I'll give it a spin but at the current XS prices my iPhone 5 will have to do for now :)
    (I could get an new 13" MacBook Pro for the same price they are asking for an XS Max which is just insane).

• edited September 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@alteredmoods said:

@bert said:

@alteredmoods said:

We are not just paying for their hardware. It is also the software, R&D, patents (iPhone was launched with 220 patents), FDA approvals, legal fees, marketing, workforce, equipment, overheads, etc. Above all, the ecosystem and the AppStore. Software and hardware design and development are not cheap - leave alone marketing and selling them. A platform is not worth anything if there aren't many apps and there aren't many devs developing apps for the platform. It is not worth anything even if there are apps but the platform itself has issues such as latency, fragmentation/multiple screen sizes, malware, etc. Can we produce music on Android with its age old latency issues like we can on iOS? There are always cheaper options like older versions and carriers offer deals too (my coworker got 2 iPhone 6s on buy-1-get-1-free from their carrier when it was released).

Sure, at the moment there’s the option to buy a cheaper/older model. The worry with Apple’s current love of making more and more expensive kit, is that in a few years time there won’t be cheaper options available.

Already happened with the MacBook Pro. The cheapest model is now £2,500, when a few years back it was around £1500.

If they carry on like this, in a few years time most of us won’t have the luxury of deciding which platform to use - we’ll be priced out of the Apple version.

So there’s important decisions to make on software purchases now, if we’re not going to be able to afford a device to run them on in three years time.

I'm positive Apple will always keep affordable options available like the 2018 iPad and older versions of iPhone. In a few years when the older devices become obsolete and current devices become unaffordable as you said, they would come up with newer/cheaper options as not everyone can afford or need an iPhone Xs or iPad Pro (these pro grade devices are meant for professionals). A kid or a granny does not need state-of-the-art devices.

• @CrazySynthMan said:

I always chuckle when I see people complaining about Apple's prices on the internet, because it's always been this way, going back decades. Apple is very smart in the way they price their products imo.

Apple has many "budget" products right now, including the entry level iPad which doesn't cost a lot. I'd say that entry into the Apple eco-system has never been cheaper than these past few years.

Aside from the MacBook Pro, which has increased from £1500 to £2500, putting it outside of most people’s budgets.

• @MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@alteredmoods said:

@bert said:

@alteredmoods said:

I'm positive Apple will always keep affordable options available like the 2018 iPad and older versions of iPhone. In a few years when the older devices become obsolete and current devices become unaffordable as you said, they would come up with newer/cheaper options as not everyone can afford or need an iPhone Xs or iPad Pro (these pro grade devices are meant for professionals). A kid or a granny does not need state-of-the-art devices.

I was positive I’d be able to replace my MacBook Pro when it started to show its age, but with a £1000 price hike I can’t anymore.

We can’t predict what Apple will do, let’s just hope they don’t price some of us out of the iPhone range too.

• @MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

Aside from the MacBook Pro, which has increased from £1500 to £2500, putting it outside of most people’s budgets.

MacBook Pro is currently listed as $1299 which is about 996 pounds.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

• @MonzoPro said:

It may be expensive where you are located due to various factors, but I just looked at the Apple website and the cheapest MacBook Pro here in the US through the Apple Store is $1299.00.

• @MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

It may be expensive where you are located due to various factors, but I just looked at the Apple website and the cheapest MacBook Pro here in the US through the Apple Store is $1299.00.

That’s the 13” model, I have the 15”, the cheapest of those in the UK is nearly £2500, when it used to be about £1475.

• edited September 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

That’s the 13” model, I have the 15”, the cheapest of those in the UK is nearly £2500, when it used to be about £1475.

I'm an IT professional and I'm happy with my 6-year old MacBook Pro 13" running macOS Sierra. I'll never spend $2400 on a 15" MacBook Pro as I find 13" meets all of my needs. Plus, it is very mobile compared to 15".

• @CrazySynthMan said:

And the cheapest iPhone is now the iPhone 7 which is $449, so there's something there for all budgets. Not everybody is going to be able to afford the top tier Apple products. That was the case many decades ago and that's still the case today.

Well not anymore. There is no justification for a macbook pro at 2500$ which has specs you can easily find inside 1500$ laptops on the market, on which besides you can install MAC OSX. The same for their phones. 1000$ for a smartphone is just plain crazy, I would never buy such a thing even though I have money for it. They are surfing on the idea that if it's expensive it must be good, some tendency many consumers tend to follow. But when you are a developer or someone who knows anything about technology, this theft attempt doesn't work much obviously.

• edited September 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

I'm an IT professional and I'm happy with my 6-year old MacBook Pro 13" running macOS Sierra. I'll never spend $2400 on a 15" MacBook Pro as I find 13" meets all of my needs. Plus, it is very mobile compared to 15".

1475 for a 15" when there was no Retina display, Touch Bar, Touch ID, SSD (SSD is very, very, very expensive!), 16 GB RAM and a whole gamut of other updated specs to meet today's technology needs:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch

• edited September 2018

@Cib said:
    Mmhhh yeah....iPhone XS max start at €1249....maybe about €1600-1700 for the 512GB.
    :o :o :o

Compared to an iPad Pro 12.9 V2 the iPad is quite cheap, isn’t it? 😎

But it’s a dream for iPhone music producers , just a little bit costly...

• @MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

That’s all very nice, but in the meantime the price of a 15” has gone up by a thousand quid.

• edited September 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

1475 for a 15" when there was no Retina display, Touch Bar, Touch ID, SSD (SSD is very, very, very expensive!), 16 GB RAM and a whole gamut of other updated specs to meet today's technology needs:

Well now you’re just being silly. You can’t compare the tech found in laptops today with a purchase made 6 years ago.

And no SSD is not ‘very, very, very expensive’. As a tech professional I’d expect you to know prices have fallen dramatically. I recently added an external 500gb SSD to boost the speed of my MBP for £100.

The components and tech you’ve listed are cheaper now, so there’s no justification for a £1000 price hike.

AND EVEN IF THERE WAS.....my point, is it’s still £1000 more expensive. Regardless of how much better it is, I’m unable to replace my 15” with a similarly priced alternative.

• Well not anymore. There is no justification for a macbook pro at 2500$ which has specs you can easily find inside 1500$ laptops on the market, on which besides you can install MAC OSX. The same for their phones. 1000$ for a smartphone is just plain crazy, I would never buy such a thing even though I have money for it. They are surfing on the idea that if it's expensive it must be good, some tendency many consumers tend to follow. But when you are a developer or someone who knows anything about technology, this theft attempt doesn't work much obviously.

Apple's products have always been priced a bit higher than other similar products on the market.

I bought my first Powerbook in the early 2000's sometime, and I could have easily bought a few PC laptops if not more for the same price, but I didn't. It's not just about the specs, and there are certain things that some Apple products provide that are just better and more well done than on other products and the people who find that to be worth it will pay for it. Those who don't see the value are free to choose another option. I don't care what people use. I only care about what I use.

• As long as people buy prices rise, and people will buy. If not in full payment then through all sorts of packages.

It is Shooting fish in the barrell at this point and we're not the shooters.

• @CrazySynthMan said:

Well not anymore. There is no justification for a macbook pro at 2500$ which has specs you can easily find inside 1500$ laptops on the market, on which besides you can install MAC OSX. The same for their phones. 1000$ for a smartphone is just plain crazy, I would never buy such a thing even though I have money for it. They are surfing on the idea that if it's expensive it must be good, some tendency many consumers tend to follow. But when you are a developer or someone who knows anything about technology, this theft attempt doesn't work much obviously.

Apple's products have always been priced a bit higher than other similar products on the market.

I bought my first Powerbook in the early 2000's sometime, and I could have easily bought a few PC laptops if not more for the same price, but I didn't. It's not just about the specs, and there are certain things that some Apple products provide that are just better and more well done than on other products and the people who find that to be worth it will pay for it. Those who don't see the value are free to choose another option. I don't care what people use. I only care about what I use.

Yeah but not that overly expensive. When I bought my macbook in 2008, it was like 200$ more expensive than other machines with the same specs on the market. Now it's 1000$ more. And as well, it seems Apple thinks europeans are super rich cause when exactly 2500$ was equivalent to 2799 euros?

• @CrazySynthMan said:

When I bought my MBP I was nervous about spending £1475 on a laptop, so checked out specs on the Windows alternatives. Closest I could get was a Dell that was £1749, that had an inferior keyboard, screen and overall build quality.

I don’t mind paying a bit more as their products are usually better quality, but the starting price of £2500 for a 15” laptop is ridiculous.

• edited September 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

Well now you’re just being silly. You can’t compare the tech found in laptops today with a purchase made 6 years ago.

And no SSD is not ‘very, very, very expensive’. As a tech professional I’d expect you to know prices have fallen dramatically. I recently added an external 500gb SSD to boost the speed of my MBP for £100.

The components and tech you’ve listed are cheaper now, so there’s no justification for a £1000 price hike.

AND EVEN IF THERE WAS.....my point, is it’s still £1000 more expensive. Regardless of how much better it is, I’m unable to replace my 15” with a similarly priced alternative.

@chandroji said:

@Cib said:
    Mmhhh yeah....iPhone XS max start at €1249....maybe about €1600-1700 for the 512GB.

You are actually making my POINT!! :smiley:

Why would anyone need an iPhone Xs unless they are doing some pro-grade photos, videos, etc? That's not meant for everyone to use for making calls and texting and whatsapp and snapchat. It's just a phone and not much can be done on it anyway. iPhone Xs maybe if you are a blogger or vlogger. Not everyone needs an iPad Pro. Why would anyone need a 15" MacBook Pro (unless you are editing 8K video) when a 13" can do all the same wonders flawlessly - including 4K video editing? Will any of your apps stop working if you replace your 15" with 13" or your iPad Pro with iPad? They are not expensive for people who are buying them and for the many years they last. We get what we pay for and we should buy what we can afford. And there are Windows laptops for much cheaper. There are always affordable options available. I can buy an iPhone Xs or MacBook Pro 15" but I have no use for them and don't miss any of their features because my priorities are straight :smile: If I find an item unaffordable or need to think more than once about it's price, I won't even consider buying it and won't miss it. I know some people who order 2 iPhone Xs with the maximum storage on the very 1st day in the middle of the night when it becomes available - every single year - because they can. And I saw a comment today on YT saying Apple is a "Technology Drug Dealer" selling us drugs (silicon chips!) and building their wealth!! Not everyone is the same.

You are saying the current upgraded MacBook Pro 15" is not worth 1000 bucks hike from what it's price used to be a decade ago. Why would the price remain the same after 10 years of upgrades? That's your view only - not others' view. But people who are buying them are not complaining and think the price is justified for the quality and features and the number of years they last with peace of mind, no viruses, etc. Otherwise, no would buy Apple products, Apple would go bankrupt overnight and would not become the 1st Trillion-dollar company. That's the point.

• it seems Apple thinks europeans are super rich cause when exactly 2500$ was equivalent to 2799 euros?

@Norbert They must be compensating fot European Customer Rights.

• edited September 2018

@Norbert said:

The US price doesn't include tax, which varies in amount from state to state, so the total price for most consumers will be a bit more than $2500.00 USD.

I'm assuming the 2790 euros includes VAT? The VAT is a pretty hefty fee in some countries.

I guess you can be glad that you're not located in some place like Brazil, where there are all sorts of import duties and tariffs on top of the price, making Apple products extra expensive there, compared to most other places.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

@chandroji said:

@Cib said:

You are actually making my POINT!! :smiley:

Why would anyone need an iPhone Xs unless they are doing some pro-grade photos, videos, etc? That's not meant for everyone to use for making calls and texting and whatsapp and snapchat. It's just a phone and not much can be done on it anyway. iPhone Xs maybe if you are a blogger or vlogger. Not everyone needs an iPad Pro. Why would anyone need a 15" MacBook Pro (unless you are editing 8K video) when a 13" can do all the same wonders flawlessly - including 4K video editing? They are not expensive for people who are buying them and for the many years they last. We get what we pay for and we should buy what we can afford. And there are Windows laptops for much cheaper. There are always affordable options available. I can buy an iPhone Xs or MacBook Pro 15" but I have no use for them and don't miss any of their features because my priorities are straight :smile: If I find an item unaffordable or need to think more than once about it's price, I won't even consider buying it and won't miss it. I know some people who order 2 iPhone Xs with the maximum storage on the very 1st day in the middle of the night when it becomes available - every single year - because they can. And I saw a comment today on YT saying Apple is a "Technology Drug Dealer" selling us drugs (!) and building their wealth!! Not everyone is the same.

You are saying the current upgraded MacBook Pro 15" is not worth 1000 bucks hike from what it's price used to be a decade ago. Why would the price remain the same after 10 years of upgrades? That's your view only - not others' view. But people who are buying them are not complaining and think the price is justified for the quality and features and the number of years they last with peace of mind, no viruses, etc. Otherwise, no would buy Apple products, Apple would go bankrupt overnight and would not become the 1st Trillion-dollar company. That's the point.

The point you’re so desperate to avoid.

I bought my 15” MBP just over 5 years ago (not a decade) for £1475. I can’t remember if it was the cheapest, but whatever, it was a 15” MACBOOK PRO.

To replace my 15” MACBOOK PRO, with the base model 15” MACBOOK PRO now, will cost me an extra £1000.

Whether you decide I don’t need one of those now, or that I can happily use a 13” instead is irrelevant.

I can no longer buy a 15” MACBOOK PRO, because they have priced me out of their market.

Do you work for the Apple shop or something? You seem desperate to defend their ridiculous, exclusive pricing on these products.