Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM2

Comments

• @tja said:
    Original BeatMaker only up to iOS 10, it's not 64 Bit

I own an iPad version 2 which is stuck with iOS 9 so I could play with it and learn MPC style music making for $4. Following the development of BeatMaker might not be a bad exercise in iPad History. Thanks again. You guys always help when confronted with the right question. I just need to know what I don't know and that never seems to change. I don't know everything and I forget things to make room so I need to re-learn "the Calculus" for example. I recall it was Integral to the Maths but not much more... very Functional stuff. Derivative but made a nice Infinite Series. "Khan!" (the Academy with a hat tip to William Shatner).

• @McDtracy "Khan!" (the Academy with a hat tip to William Shatner).

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Ok so there are almost no samples outside of the drums in BM2. Hence my IAP question.

Just so I know, can I take those one shot samples (eg. jazz bass) and copy it and remap it across the pads? All within BM2 or do I have to copy it say in audioshare somehow and send it back ... i'm sure i'm rethinking this.

Not asking for you guys to learn the app for me but just point me in the right direction.

• @kinkujin said:
    @McDtracy "Khan!" (the Academy with a hat tip to William Shatner).

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I think I might hop in the Delorean and give BM a spin for $4.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 BPM... you're gonna see some serious shit."

• from Doc Brown's Notebooks of early experiments with EDM
  • @mAxjUlien said:

@kinkujin said:
    @mAxjUlien
    "but for those who have a hard time with BM3 and like Nanostudio you have BM2."

Can you expand on this, because it piqued my interest as I'm a new convert to NanoStudio. Big time.

They’re both simple. Not much to what’s going on and close enough to existing traditional workflows for most people to get going quickly.

I’ve been using Bm3 daily for over a year and I still find new paths, shortcuts, caves to explore, zip lines to skip steps, etc...it’s an adventure. As simple or complicated as you wish. BM2 genius, like NS, they’re just solid and simple.

It’s a shame Intua didn’t release a much more comprehensive manual with all of these shortcuts. I like you have found so many that you’re just not told about in the manual. It would help people out and also stem the tide of disgruntled users who more often than not CAN actually do what they want it to do, it’s just not explained well.

• @Korakios said:
    Well ,none I'd say.
    BM2 only if you are on an old ipad 2/3
    BM3 better wait for 3.1 update.

But it's just a subjective suggestion ;)

I would teccomend getting bm3 now so that you are up to speed by the time 3.1 comes out. There a learning curve.

Once you develop muscle memory for all the short cuts the possibilities are almost overwhelming.

• @AudioGus : I’ve looked into sounds.com.. I just wish they’d get some sort of sample player so that I don’t have to sample every sound I like mysel.. yeah yeah , I know.. lazy

• @Telstar5 said:
    @AudioGus : I’ve looked into sounds.com.. I just wish they’d get some sort of sample player so that I don’t have to sample every sound I like mysel.. yeah yeah , I know.. lazy

Hmmm, now that I think about it I think they got rid of the zip downloading which I intitialy had in the trial, so yah, not sure what the flow is like without it.

• @AudioGus said:

@Korakios said:
    Well ,none I'd say.

Tru dat. What is it about 3.1 for you?

Lack of transient based slicing , crashing on macros , Rozeta compatibility and few others, but mainly those stopped me from using it.
    I launch Caustic and have more fun even though it’s a bit forgotten on iOS , but never crashed :)

• edited September 2018

@kinkujin said:
    Ok so there are almost no samples outside of the drums in BM2. Hence my IAP question.

Just so I know, can I take those one shot samples (eg. jazz bass) and copy it and remap it across the pads?

Yes.

All within BM2 or do I have to copy it say in audioshare somehow and send it back ... i'm sure i'm rethinking this.

BM2 has its own file storage and file browser including preview.
    You can also take a loop, slice it and have BM2 put the slices on consecutive pads, as well as create a MIDI clip which triggers the slices so if you hit play, the pads are played exactly like required to make the slices sound like the original loop. You can then start tweaking by replacing, adding or removing individual hits...

• @Korakios said:

@AudioGus said:

@Korakios said:
    Well ,none I'd say.

Tru dat. What is it about 3.1 for you?

Lack of transient based slicing , crashing on macros , Rozeta compatibility and few others, but mainly those stopped me from using it.
    I launch Caustic and have more fun even though it’s a bit forgotten on iOS , but never crashed :)

Gotcha, I do miss Rozeta and look forward to it’s return. Crashes are quite minimal for me now.

• @rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:
    Ok so there are almost no samples outside of the drums in BM2. Hence my IAP question.

Just so I know, can I take those one shot samples (eg. jazz bass) and copy it and remap it across the pads?

Yes.

All within BM2 or do I have to copy it say in audioshare somehow and send it back ... i'm sure i'm rethinking this.

You can also take a loop, slice it and have BM2 put the slices on consecutive pads, as well as create a MIDI clip which triggers the slices so if you hit play, the pads are played exactly like required to make the slices sound like the original loop. You can then start tweaking by replacing, adding or removing individual hits...

Thanks a bunch. I made some progress on this, actually a ton. Compared to BM3 this thing is way more accessible. I answered a lot of my questions by being able to jump in. That is a change from its sequel. Not bashing BM3 at all, but BM2 seems to be my speed. I’m no wiz kid ...

• @kinkujin said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

Yes.

Thanks a bunch. I made some progress on this, actually a ton. Compared to BM3 this thing is way more accessible. I answered a lot of my questions by being able to jump in. That is a change from its sequel. Not bashing BM3 at all, but BM2 seems to be my speed. I’m no wiz kid ...

Good to hear!
    I like it too when things are accessible and fun to use, for me that's the whole point of making music on the iPad.

• @AudioGus : What happened to Rosetta?

• @rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

Yes.

Good to hear!
    I like it too when things are accessible and fun to use, for me that's the whole point of making music on the iPad.

Yeah man, I think that’s the point for me too. I’m not afraid of work I just hate it! hehe

• I still use BM2 because its universal and I can import into BM3 if I need to also.

• @Jose_Bee said:
    I still use BM2 because its universal and I can import into BM3 if I need to also.

Strangely, that option never occurred to me. Thanks for that.

• I deleted BM2 as I just couldn’t get on with the onscreen keyboards. BM3 has pads so I use them, but they still didn’t get the onscreen keyboard right imo.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@mAxjUlien said:

@Jose_Bee said:
    I still use BM2 because its universal and I can import into BM3 if I need to also.

This is a smart thing to do. Know how I know? I just downloaded BM2 on my 8 plus and loaded my Pax 3 full of inspiration. Both fit in my pocket. B)

Thanks.

Funny thing is, this BM2 thing is making me appreciate INTUA way more. And I really think I'll end up using both BM2 and BM3.

One thing I noticed last eve was the latency while using the onscreen keyboard. I did adjust the latency setting in the 'settings' menu of ios but still was getting pretty good lag - no other apps running. Stupidly though I did not try a hard reboot. Will try that tonight.
    Oh yeah, iPad pro 12.9

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Jose_Bee said:

This is a smart thing to do. Know how I know? I just downloaded BM2 on my 8 plus and loaded my Pax 3 full of inspiration. Both fit in my pocket. B)

Thanks.

What’s pax 3? Are you still finding bm2 useful without the use of AUs? ( all my favourite instruments are AU)

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Someone please tell me there’s repeat for the pads...can’t find it for shit.

Yes there's repeat for the pads and keyboard in BM2. Look top right and click till it turns blue. Just above the repeat button you can set repeat, it defaults to 1/16th notes. I love that the repeat is always there when you're using the pads or keyboard. In BM3 repeat settings are only available in pad view. The keyboard in BM2 is much better than BM3's. The pitch bend in BM3 is not smooth like BM2. It's better than it was in the beginning but still not up to par. I also miss the double manual keyboard only being available for both internal samples but not external instruments in BM3. The keyboard sampler BM2 is deeper than BM3. BM2 is rock solid and the most stable IAA instrument host on iOS. BM2 is a more straightforward linear DAW where BM3 is a hybrid linear/pattern DAW with lot's of bells and whistles, IAA/AU Instrument and Effects support. They both have Ableton Link support but only BM2 has MIDI Clock in and out which is unique for a DAW on iOS.

• edited September 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    @AudioGus : What happened to Rosetta?

My understanding: Rozeta did work in BM3 at one point but in order for it to work @brambos had to have a 'fix' or 'workaround' in the code to accommodate some non-standard stuff that BM3 currently has. Bram asked everyone if it was ok for him to do Roz right and remove the 'fix/workaround' and that when BM3.1 comes out Rozeta should just naturally work again to which everyone seemed to reply 'yes, remove it'. So one of the known perks of 3.1 is the return of Rozeta.

• @AudioGus said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @AudioGus : What happened to Rosetta?

My understanding: Rozeta did work in BM3 at one point but in order for it to work @brambos had to have a 'fix' or 'workaround' in the code to accommodate some non-standard stuff that BM3 currently has. Bram asked everyone if it was ok for him to do Roz right and remove the 'fix/workaround' and that when BM3.1 comes out Rozeta should just naturally work again to which everyone seemed to reply 'yes, remove it'. So one of the known perks of 3.1 is the return of Rozeta.

I can’t wait to see what comes with 3.1 :)

• @mAxjUlien said:

@universe said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Jose_Bee said:

Thanks.

What’s pax 3? Are you still finding bm2 useful without the use of AUs? ( all my favourite instruments are AU)

Pax 3 is the iPad Pro or dry/wet Vaporizers. I’ll most certainly find Bm2 useful as a Sketch/Launchpad for projects when away from iPad while we wait on BM3 to go universal. I can export to Bm3 or IAA anything I do into GB which is Universal, access it in files on iPad or Mac.

I must confess I still have no idea what ‘Pax 3 is the iPad Pro or dry/wet Vaporizers’ means ha

• Working with BM2 last night, I’m sort of in wonder... but why wonder why, wonder whyeeee...?
    It just works so well. It’s sooo intuitive. The layout is nigh perfect. What the wonder is for me is that, why did Intua go the BM3 approach? Feels so much more heavy, and big and sort of intimidating. Yes, I know this is a touch dramatic but I am a touch dramatic.

I would love for BM2 to continue to get developed. A few more features, like auv3 support but...
    why wonder whyeeeee ...