Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Amazing Drums of Roli’s Noise App - Anything else similar?

The Amazing Drums of Roli’s Noise App - Anything else similar?

Just tried the Noise app for the first time in a while, and was blown away by the drums. The “sounds/samples” in the free packs were solid if not spectacular. But it is the gliding and sliding modulation that makes it the easiest, most expressive, and most fun drum app that I personally have tried on iOS. Just for playability alone (not sequencing, song creation, etc.), FOR ME it edges out some greats like Patterning (first version), Drumjam, BM3, iMaschine, and LaunchPad for ios. But I prefer finger drumming to sequence programming whenever possible.

Soo... I plan on buying any Noise expansions that have drums, especially if they have a Black Friday sale.
But besides that... are there any other iOS drum apps that are anywhere close to Noise? Particularly in terms of gliding modulation and (my fav) time division changes? What have I missed?

Thanks! :)

(Also, I must add that the synths and acoustic instruments for Noise are awesome of couse!)

Here’s a video demo. Could only find a video that also has the LightPad, which adds pressure and velocity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dphEU4grk

Comments

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Yeah great sounds and MPE is tough to beat. My money is on Roli...literally. Seaboard, 2 lightpads, Live, Loop and all of the apps is how I be roli now.lol

When Bm3 is updated to support hosting MPE, update midi to support Roli it’s game over.

Dang! Nice setup. Collection is the sincerest form of flattery when it comes to gear.

Interesting about the possibility of BM3 having MPE. That would send it into the clouds. Could not find a thread here that mentioned it. Or is there one? Or other info on it? A Google search turned up nothing solid. Thanks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yep I love Noise..and the AU interfaces work very well. I’ll continue to invest

• IAPs are pricey and have never seen a sale. Tempted though as by all accounts very high quality.

• @gusgranite said:
    IAPs are pricey and have never seen a sale. Tempted though as by all accounts very high quality.

Many of the Soundpacks are free of charge after registering a Seaboard or ROLI Lightpad.
    All the soundpacks especially the Swam are very high quality IMO. I like most of them! 👍

• @realdawei said:
    Yep I love Noise..and the AU interfaces work very well. I’ll continue to invest

Definitely! I tried the Noise AU in Aum. Very AUwesome. I had three drum kits going simultaneously. My cat was hiding in fear! :D But then I heard glitchy sounds I’d never experienced on the ipad (though common with my desktop synths). The CPU was at like 120%. It’s an iPad Air 2, but i guess 2 kits is about the limit for me! Lol. When i use the Noise app alone, a synth and drum kit can be played together without maxing the ipad.

• (Speculation warning... )

And since Roli and fxpansion are happily married with one child already (the adorable Cypher2)... is it wild and crazy speculation to think that the next bun in the oven might POSSIBLY be Geist 3? A fully MPE LightPad ready drum beast Geist 3, that is? Hmmm... not totally un-possible! (to quote Ralph Wiggum).

• edited September 2018

Just broke down and ordered a Roli LightPad. Gotta see what pressure and velocity add to the Noise drums. Seems to be a very flexible little controller, doing drums, instruments, mixing, and effects control. Can also be used as a psychedelic drink coaster!

So... no other drum apps that do some kind of sliding gliding MPE-like modulation? (Besides maybe an update to BM )

• @haulin_notes said:
    Just broke down and ordered a Roli LightPad. Gotta see what pressure and velocity add to the Noise drums. Seems to be a very flexible little controller, doing drums, instruments, mixing, and effects control. Can also be used as a psychedelic drink coaster!

So... no other drum apps that do some kind of sliding gliding MPE-like modulation? (Besides maybe an update to BM )

Not that I know of.

You could make your own in something like model 15. But it would just be 1 drum :).

• edited September 2018

When using Roli Noise app as AU in GarageBand, every MPE movement including on drums will be recorded in the midi part even if not editable this is super interesting. Great sound too!!

• elastic drums is pretty sweet. no mpe but its a proper drum machine.

• @99476598326 said:
    elastic drums is pretty sweet. no mpe but its a proper drum machine.

Yep. elastic drums is incredible.

• @Janosax said:
    When using Roli Noise app as AU in GarageBand, every MPE movement including on drums will be recorded in the midi part even if not editable this is super interesting. Great sound too!!

Indeed. GB and ROLI AU are a great combo..looking forward as the apps continue to evolve.

• edited September 2018

Question: what drum app (or even desktop VST, or hardware controller) - when using a note repeat- has the ability to modulate the time division of a particular sample by aftertouch / pressure? I would love to speed up, slow down, or add triplets just by pressing aftertouch... if I’m being clear...

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses so far. :)

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Yeah great sounds and MPE is tough to beat. My money is on Roli...literally. Seaboard, 2 lightpads, Live, Loop and all of the apps is how I be roli now.lol

When Bm3 is updated to support hosting MPE, update midi to support Roli it’s game over.

Don’t forget the touch block.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@mAxjUlien said:

Don’t forget the touch block.

I’m hoping to find one used. as support for mpe expands it’s probably going to become one of the more useful ones.

It already is, with strike and release on current roli hardware. It can really make a difference.

• Received the LightPad i ordered, and have been using it with the Noise app. Very sweet! Glad i got the newer “M” version because it is very responsive and just soft enough. One way I’ve been using it is a little strange, but effective. I put it on the floor and use it as a foot controlled beat generator. This works best when it is set on one of the “groove” drum settings on the Noise app. (Wish there were more of the groove variety... hey, Roli... please make an editor for the drums! Thanks for the great controllers and software!) So the beat continues while my hands are busy elsewhere, but is still under control and responds to the slightest movement and pressure. So the beat is steady but always evolving. Static unchanging beats get a little distracting sometimes, imho.

By pressing the pad, that part is triggered in a steady beat. By moving and wiggling my foot, there are variations in the time divisions and effects. Or if one wants only high hats, press the pads on the right. Don’t know if the manufacturer would necessarily advertise it as a foot controller, but I’m gliding gently instead of pounding it. And i wear a sock to protect it from my xiphoid toenails! :D

• @mAxjUlien said:

You might be the world’s first Roli foot pedalist but I see this being an amazing use of Lightpad. Just justified me getting another. Maybe I get a used first version so I can beat it up as a foot Kick. I hear it is harder and less sensitive plus they’re available cheap online.

<3 :p Lol! Thanks! Yes, that is a great use for the Mk 1. I’ve seen the first version going for about $60. One could get a couple for each foot! And trigger one with my elbow...