Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Real time sequencer AUM?

Comments

• @midiSequencer said:
    I'm probably going to use the Files app to get midi files into my app, which means you can (on ios11) save it there too.

Direct to AudioShare would be nice as well. To me AudioShare is still the ideal librarian for audio and midi files. On the other hand, it's easy to drop into AudioShare through the files app, so definitely optional.

• @wim said:

@midiSequencer said:
    I'm probably going to use the Files app to get midi files into my app, which means you can (on ios11) save it there too.

Direct to AudioShare would be nice as well. To me AudioShare is still the ideal librarian for audio and midi files. On the other hand, it's easy to drop into AudioShare through the files app, so definitely optional.

Already done - airplay allows you to share to email, cubasis etc. I've been picking AudioShare as you can see & hear the recorded notes & check the tempo.I plan on adding the AudioShare display of midi in my app too - may not be at launch though.

• @midiSequencer said:

@wim said:

@midiSequencer said:

Already done - airplay allows you to share to email, cubasis etc. I've been picking AudioShare as you can see & hear the recorded notes & check the tempo.I plan on adding the AudioShare display of midi in my app too - may not be at launch though.

Sweet!

Is that AirPlay or AirDrop? If I could share between devices with AirDrop that would be over the top. (But not worth delaying development for)

• edited September 2018

@midiSequencer said:

@RajahP said:
    Seem it’s one midi channel per instance.. personally, I can only see myself having 3-4 instances recording in a session (IBassist, Future Drummer, Stepolyarp and, or Quantum).. But then again, on another day, I can load up Patterning 2, Dot Melody,...

ok just bring it on...

I'm not looking to restrict it to one channel - currently it records midi from any midi channel, but hosts like AUM allow you to filter messages reaching the app by channel. Playback uses the channel recorded.
    I have a record channel rotary (omni or 1..16) but I'm not sure I need it yet - certainly not in AUM, but other hosts maybe.

Recording is single track, but the pads will be multi-track. At the moment its 4 pads so you could record one track & playback 4 others all in the same audio unit.

My final tuning will show if I can increase this to more pads.

So you can add an Instance per channel, per instance you can record one track and playback 4 others is the plan if CPU optimization goes well for the app?

• @wim said:

Sweet!

Is that AirPlay or AirDrop? If I could share between devices with AirDrop that would be over the top. (But not worth delaying development for)

yeah sorry AirDrop - I leave it up to the hosts to provide AirPlay

• 1) load a preset setup in ApeMatrix
    2) get a serious thing going
    3) save this whole schmear as a .mid
    4) go on with my day
    5) open ApeMatrix again and continue with that midi file or ...
    6) open this .mid in Xequence or other app or daw and edit
    7) finish this schmear on ios or send to desktop daw.

Will this app @midiSequencer is cooking up help to accomplish this? If so, I'm on board.

Or,

Of course there'd be no reason why you couldn't consolidate multiple midi tracks into one using ApeMatrix. And pick them apart again using channel filtering.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    So you can add an Instance per channel, per instance you can record one track and playback 4 others is the plan if CRU optimization goes well for the app?

I'm going to look at a later enhancement that splits midi in channels to individual tracks (in a midi file). Its not going to be at launch though as the allocation of playback to pads needs design too.

So, to start with, its record to one track (multi-channel) allowing you to assign to individual pads.

• edited September 2018

@pauly said:

Of course there'd be no reason why you couldn't consolidate multiple midi tracks into one using ApeMatrix. And pick them apart again using channel filtering.

Thats the beauty of Midi standard files - they are universal - tempo track + additional tracks and all iOS apps use the same routines I use to record them - so I made it core to the app.

Alessandro gave me a copy of ApeMatrix but I've yet to use its midi functions - so I will be looking at how these apps (Xequencer etc) work with the midi I record.

• Must mention a free app that can be used to import midi and edit
    sequencism

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@Korakios said:
    Must mention a free app that can be used to import midi and edit
    sequencism

Nice one. How do you import midi? Scanned the manual and can't figure it out.
    [edit] nvm. Open-in from AudioShare or Files works.

• @midiSequencer said:

with the cycle on free mode how would you trigger the cycle? Just the length (or given a command like a midi cc)?

Just the length. In a DAW like logic or reaper, you can set a clip of any length to 'loop'. If the clip isn't quite a bar, as you drag it out across the timeline, the loop start points have nothing to do with the bars/beats of the DAWs tempo/time signature.

Often, you want a clip to loop with the bars/beats so you might stretch it first and then loop it. Other times though, particularly for ambient stuff, you want it to be free running. Loopy offers both ("I want my drum beat and bass line to loop on the downbeats but I want this ambient guitar wash and weirdo quantum random sequence to loop freely").

My druthers would be for both in your app as well. Also understand that time ain't free so whatever's clever.

• @midiSequencer said:
    It will however only be ios11+ at launch - mainly as 12 is just around the corner and the UI needs it. If needs be I can see about iOS 10 support later.

As far as I recall AU midi out requires iOS11.

• @syrupcore said:

@midiSequencer said:

with the cycle on free mode how would you trigger the cycle? Just the length (or given a command like a midi cc)?

Just the length. In a DAW like logic or reaper, you can set a clip of any length to 'loop'. If the clip isn't quite a bar, as you drag it out across the timeline, the loop start points have nothing to do with the bars/beats of the DAWs tempo/time signature.

Often, you want a clip to loop with the bars/beats so you might stretch it first and then loop it. Other times though, particularly for ambient stuff, you want it to be free running. Loopy offers both ("I want my drum beat and bass line to loop on the downbeats but I want this ambient guitar wash and weirdo quantum random sequence to loop freely").

My druthers would be for both in your app as well. Also understand that time ain't free so whatever's clever.

At the moment I'm just extending the midi track to the end of the current bar - so you don't get fractions. Looping will then work on bars with the ability to playback a portion (in beats - which may be larger than the original) of that track for looping purposes - that portion can be longer than the original meaning it repeats.

• @recccp said:

@midiSequencer said:
    It will however only be ios11+ at launch - mainly as 12 is just around the corner and the UI needs it. If needs be I can see about iOS 10 support later.

yep - thats correct - I don't have to feel bad about not supporting ios10 now!

• @midiSequencer said:

@recccp said:

@midiSequencer said:

yep - thats correct - I don't have to feel bad about not supporting ios10 now!

Good stuff, more time to squash present bugs without the need to think about the past ones ;)

• @midiSequencer said:
    AUV3 midi recorder.
    You can record midi (notes, ccs, sysex etc) - quantise it as you are recording, filter by channel into a buffer.
    You can trigger recording from first note or first midi message.
    Save it to the app documents folder as a .mid file (standard type 0).
    Share it using airplay to apps like Mail or Audioshare.
    Load it from the documents folder to the buffer.

The above is all completed.....

I then have some pads ready (just 4 for now, lit when populated) - you will be able to load tracks to these and trigger them (they play out of the AUv3 midi along with your input) - so you can use this as a looper (there will be some looping options).

So basically this gives you the ability to record, playback & manage your recordings as midi files to share with other apps.

I guess the wizard is perfecting his brew... to put us all under his spell...

Can’t wait to be your victim... Master..

😍😍😍😍😍

• @RajahP said:

😍😍😍😍😍

coming together nicely - I've 4 pads working now just added the ability to choose you loop count, transpose & tempo division for each pad - these all work whilst playback occurs too.
    Working on sync next to allow the pads to play well together.
    Performance is good - just need to improve the pad loading to avoid any glitches.
    Will share a new screenshot soon.

• @midiSequencer said:

@RajahP said:

😍😍😍😍😍

coming together nicely - I've 4 pads working now just added the ability to choose you loop count, transpose & tempo division for each pad - these all work whilst playback occurs too.
    Working on sync next to allow the pads to play well together.
    Performance is good - just need to improve the pad loading to avoid any glitches.
    Will share a new screenshot soon.

Thanks.. I know it’s going to be great... hopefully we will get an update to the forum to accommodate easy upload of midi files... sharing is a good thing..

Looking forward to this..

• I've been trying for a long time to come up with a solution (it appears the latest Live does this, but I'm not a Live user so not sure how well it works) that allows you to jam away, THEN say, hey that last 4 bars sounded cool! Loop that!

The issue with most looping (especially midi looping) apps is that there is an explicit user action that begins the loop recording:

1) action
    2) play
    3) loop

I'd kill to see a midi looping application that was essentially a buffer of like 32 bars. Then there are controls like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that when activated (via button press, midi binding, etc) that when activated, at next bar boundry, loop BACK the # of bars dictated by the control.

So jam for like 5 minutes, get a groove you like that happens to be two bars, hit the #2 button, then at next bar boundry, it grabs the previous 2 bars and loops those.

I've tried all kinds of midi delay vst's, etc. etc. and nothing ever really "just works."

So if there a magical ability to add this "look-back buffer" into this, I'd pay all the money to get it! :)

• @Drümünkey said:
    I've been trying for a long time to come up with a solution (it appears the latest Live does this, but I'm not a Live user so not sure how well it works) that allows you to jam away, THEN say, hey that last 4 bars sounded cool! Loop that!

The issue with most looping (especially midi looping) apps is that there is an explicit user action that begins the loop recording:

1) action
    2) play
    3) loop

I'd kill to see a midi looping application that was essentially a buffer of like 32 bars. Then there are controls like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that when activated (via button press, midi binding, etc) that when activated, at next bar boundry, loop BACK the # of bars dictated by the control.

So jam for like 5 minutes, get a groove you like that happens to be two bars, hit the #2 button, then at next bar boundry, it grabs the previous 2 bars and loops those.

I've tried all kinds of midi delay vst's, etc. etc. and nothing ever really "just works."

So if there a magical ability to add this "look-back buffer" into this, I'd pay all the money to get it! :)

Totally my fellow jam man👍🏼

• When using this (much needed) midi recorder inside AUM - is it possible to record the multitrack audio and multitrack midi, and have all the file lengths (start point) the same?

• @Drümünkey said:
    I've been trying for a long time to come up with a solution (it appears the latest Live does this, but I'm not a Live user so not sure how well it works) that allows you to jam away, THEN say, hey that last 4 bars sounded cool! Loop that!

1) action
    2) play
    3) loop

I'm planning to include a pad option to play back only part of a recording (start/length bar.beat) in a loop - so you could record your 5 min jam then set the start/end point then have that loop.
    Thinking about this, it would be useful to include a crop feature so that when you are happy with the start/end it throws away the other portion just keeping the bars you want (so you can save/share etc).

I think this would give you what you want? I can add automation too (rec start/stop, playback start beat, length) so you could use an external controller to tweak these.

sounds to me like a very useful function!

• @Mayo said:
    When using this (much needed) midi recorder inside AUM - is it possible to record the multitrack audio and multitrack midi, and have all the file lengths (start point) the same?

just midi in this app - later on I might add audio capture too but for now its an auv3 midi app.

• What I'm getting at is if we record audio in AUM, at the same time as recording midi in your new app - will the midi recordings line up with AUM audio recordings?

• edited September 2018

@Mayo said:
    What I'm getting at is if we record audio in AUM, at the same time as recording midi in your new app - will the midi recordings line up with AUM audio recordings?

Playback of recorded midi can be sync'd to host tempo - it can even be shifted to different beats.
    I will see if I can capture AUM rec button being pressed to start midi recording immediately (there are options to start on midi note or any midi event too).

I'm not sure it needs to be exactly aligned though on recording start though - just playback - but maybe you are thinking of the file player?

• @midiSequencer said:

@Mayo said:
    What I'm getting at is if we record audio in AUM, at the same time as recording midi in your new app - will the midi recordings line up with AUM audio recordings?

Playback of recorded midi can be sync'd to host tempo - it can even be shifted to different beats.
    I will see if I can capture AUM rec button being pressed to start midi recording immediately (there are options to start on midi note or any midi event too).

I'm not sure it needs to be exactly aligned though on recording start though - just playback - but maybe you are thinking of the file player?

An AU plugin receives beat time clock from the host, so I see no reason why the files should not line up. AUMs audio recorder synchronizes rec-start and stop with the next coming "sync quantum" boundary, which is 4 beats by default.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    An AU plugin receives beat time clock from the host, so I see no reason why the files should not line up. AUMs audio recorder synchronizes rec-start and stop with the next coming "sync quantum" boundary, which is 4 beats by default.

nice to know. Will check this out - only I thought I only got the clock if the transport was running, but I still need to know when the rec is activated - but looks like AUHostTransportStateRecording will chg.

• Well that is good news :)
    I like to capture the midi and audio, so if needs be I can go back to the recorded midi and further refine the idea, or change key etc.

• @midiSequencer said:

@j_liljedahl said:

nice to know. Will check this out - only I thought I only got the clock if the transport was running, but I still need to know when the rec is activated - but looks like AUHostTransportStateRecording will chg.

currentBeatPosition only advances when the transport is playing, naturally. Indeed the AUHostTransportStateRecording flag changes when AUM is recording. But I'm not sure if that would be useful, you'd want to be able to record MIDI in your plugin without AUM also recording audio..

You could have a similar setting for sync quantum for quantising midi record-start/stop, and if your midi recorder is "armed" but AUMs transport stopped it will just wait until started.

• @midiSequencer said:

@Drümünkey said:

1) action
    2) play
    3) loop

I'm planning to include a pad option to play back only part of a recording (start/length bar.beat) in a loop - so you could record your 5 min jam then set the start/end point then have that loop.
    Thinking about this, it would be useful to include a crop feature so that when you are happy with the start/end it throws away the other portion just keeping the bars you want (so you can save/share etc).

I think this would give you what you want? I can add automation too (rec start/stop, playback start beat, length) so you could use an external controller to tweak these.

sounds to me like a very useful function!

The pad option with cropping of the sequence would be amazing! That's the kind of feature that would send this already impressive sounding app to essential.

This is going to sound strange but please hear me out: it would be great to get a one shot option on the pads as well as a loop (I'm assuming you'll include a MIDI learn for CCs to control the pads). In hip hop and other genres outside of EDM there is a trend to break free of the grid. So one shots allow us to add a human element to truncated sequences. Thanks for listening and looking forward to seeing where this app lands!