Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

sonogrid « rCreativ »

Comments

• @rosano said:
    Hi everyone! I made it here finally. Okay:

• Video: https://rosano.ca/sonogrid
    • Sample import: I wanted to make a separate app that does both sample management and audio synthesis (sonogrid would be for rhythm, and for instruments/sound the other one), but I might do a basic sampler later on.
    • Link/Audiobus/IAA/AU/Export audio/fancy stuff: I want to do all of it, but the app is written with MusicSequence so I will have to write my own sequencer first, and I'm probably not as experienced with audio development as most of you, so give me some time 😋
    • Crashing on instrument change: It's not a particular instrument but some mysterious thing with AudioUnits. I believe this happens because technically you're not supposed to set kAUSamplerProperty_LoadInstrument while there are notes being played, but even if I am not playing it still crashes, sometimes, randomly - there are days when I can change the instruments willy nilly while playing back something with tons of notes and the app doesn't flinch and there are days when starting the app and changing the instrument crashes every time without even starting playback - I imagine this is also something that will be resolved once I move away from Apple's APIs and write my own sequencer (maybe with AudioKit or ?).
    • Parenting with sonogrid: this why we're here - start them early.
    • Much love to all of you for finding the app (how??) and trying it out and sharing your feedback 🙌🏽

Rosano

thank you for making such a cool app, i really like it!

• @rosano Welcome to the forum! Thanks for stopping by! Congrats on a very interesting app!

• edited September 2018

@rosano Instant crashing when selecting instruments on latest iOS iPad Pro? App unusable hope u can fix?

• edited September 2018

@Rosano ...
    Crashing on instrument change: It's not a particular instrument but some mysterious thing with AudioUnits. I believe this happens because technically you're not supposed to set kAUSamplerProperty_LoadInstrument while there are notes being played, but even if I am not playing it still crashes, sometimes, randomly - there are days when I can change the instruments willy nilly while playing back something with tons of notes and the app doesn't flinch and there are days when starting the app and changing the instrument crashes every time without even starting playback

Yes, I couldn't find a particular rhyme to the occurence. Hope you can get it sorted. In the meantime, I'll watch from the sidelines. It was great fun until the crashes.

• @rosano said:

• Sample import: I wanted to make a separate app that does both sample management and audio synthesis (sonogrid would be for rhythm, and for instruments/sound the other one), but I might do a basic sampler later on.
    • Link/Audiobus/IAA/AU/Export audio/fancy stuff: I want to do all of it, but the app is written with MusicSequence so I will have to write my own sequencer first, and I'm probably not as experienced with audio development as most of you, so give me some time 😋
    • Crashing on instrument change: It's not a particular instrument but some mysterious thing with AudioUnits. I believe this happens because technically you're not supposed to set kAUSamplerProperty_LoadInstrument while there are notes being played, but even if I am not playing it still crashes, sometimes, randomly - there are days when I can change the instruments willy nilly while playing back something with tons of notes and the app doesn't flinch and there are days when starting the app and changing the instrument crashes every time without even starting playback - I imagine this is also something that will be resolved once I move away from Apple's APIs and write my own sequencer (maybe with AudioKit or ?).
    • Much love to all of you for finding the app (how??) and trying it out and sharing your feedback 🙌🏽

Rosano

No crashes so far for me. Nice app! Thanks! B)

• @rosano Welcome to the forum! Integrating Audiobus in an app is quite simple, @Michael (Audiobus creator) wrote a very detailed HOWTO document that will have you connected to the bus in no time :) . And you do not need to write your own sequencer to ride the bus :wink: .

And congrats for the app :smiley:

• @rosano Congrats on a wicked app. Midi out makes this not a toy but an amazing app for exploring rythmn. Audiobus would make you part of the gang :)

• edited September 2018

@anickt said:

@rosano said:

Rosano

No crashes so far for me. Nice app! Thanks! B)

I had the first crash 3 minutes after downloading while changing a factory sound.
    iPad Pro 10.5 latest IOS

But no problem, hope we will get a fix! 😎

• @rosano hello and utmost Thanks for the app - it's fantastic and the whole family is addicted.

• @rosano Welcome to the bus and a big thank you for creating this amazingly fun and useful app.
    Not a single crash BTW, and I have already put in about 4 hours playing with this. And I really love the UI design/workflow for this app. It is extremely intuitive, but so powerful in what you can create.
    Most excellent.
    B)

• does it let you record within the app since you cannot run it in ab3/aum ?

• edited September 2018

@rosano Great app! If I may, would be awesome if tonal transposition (and instrument, and scale selection) was as straight forward as time mangling of sequences. Bottom scrolling menu for morphing functions could use more screen space on ipad.
    Cheers and thanks!

• edited September 2018

@rosano Another sale here (devs getting involved here helps the decision making process a lot). Welcome to the forum, looking forward to future developments!

(Edit) UI very nicely done ...

(Edit2) Got a lot of crashing before I restarted iPad (2017 Pro) now they are fewer when switching sounds but still there. +1 for increasing the scrolling menu size and easier transposition.

• @rosano - your presence here made me look further at this app and... I get it - I got it.
    Wonderful work !!!

• edited September 2018

Really need a manual
    I'm running blind - no idea what I am doing..
    A video would be really great ;)

• @mayo. Have you seen this?
    https://rosano.ca/sonogrid
    It explains most of the app

• @Richtowns said:
    @mayo. Have you seen this?
    https://rosano.ca/sonogrid
    It explains most of the app

Thanks for this. Would still like a video to see what I'm missing. Other people's workflow/approach is usually better than mine :)

• edited September 2018

Me too ( I checked the site) - I know I am missing stuff, really want to use it to it's full potential.
    Getting great initial results with it driving Kontakt :)

• Any tips for avoiding crashes? Stop playback while loading? Anything else?

• The more I play with this, the impressive it gets... especially as midi sequencer. The fun, game, toy aspect is there for sure, but this is also capable of very complex patterns. While also remaining very intuitive to use.

Still get an occasional crash, but only associated with instrument changes while playing, as previously cited. But, none so far using strictly midi out for each track.

@rosano bravo! :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @rosano Welcome to the forum! Thanks for stopping by! Congrats on a very interesting app!

Yup, all of this.

• Most of the app is self explanatory but I don't quite get what "Spread" and "Serial" are doing. Can someone 'splain me?

@rosano Are there any plans for JSON import? I couldn't find it anywhere. Also didn't see Sonogrid as a target for "Open In" for JSON files (I exported the JSON to Dropbox and tried to "Open In" back into Sonogrid). And/or plans for single project/template JSON export via the project screen's long press menu? Would be fun/easy to share projects and templates that way.

• edited September 2018

Hola everyone! I'm a bit pre-occupied travelling in Columbia right now but I love your energy and will do my best to keep up with ya'll.

I'm pretty sure this thread explains the crashes https://lists.apple.com/archives/coreaudio-api/2015/Sep/msg00002.html ("You should make sure there are no active notes when setting kAUSamplerProperty_LoadInstrument") but it's weird that it doesn't crash consistently… Ben Kamen from Olympia Noise Co. graciously reached out and gave me some suggestions for how to get around this, and I will try and create a build as soon I have a chance. Anyone who wants to beta test please send a message from within the app with the email address you'd like to use for the invitation. Let's bust this bug so we can get on with the music making!

I have JSON import working actually but I am paranoid about getting rejected by Apple after an experience with my file downloading app and didn't want to take a chance on the 1.0 - hopefully in the next release, if Cupertino permits. I also have iCloud sync working more or less but was worried that it would be rejected because Core Data + iCloud is deprecated - anyone know if we are allowed to make new apps with that stack? Imagine we could have been syncing our projects with iCloud all this time!

Oh Spread and Serial - I gotta make a video for that but it's a more specific kind of randomization. Try adding 4 tracks with 4 beats and running those commands. Spread keeps the rhythm, but randomly chooses the track. Serial randomly chooses the rhythm and track, but makes sure to use all tracks equally, riffing off of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_row

• edited September 2018

[Ok my post is back nevermind, sorry for the noise!]

• edited September 2018

Loving this app :)
    The serial button is dope!

• all I wanted was to get my drum samples inside it and a Pepsi

• @kobamoto Just pop your 'institutionalized' samples into a sampler and use midi out. I recommend ReSlice

• @rosano Thank you for the replies. Good stuff. ¡Que te vaya bien en Columbia!

Probably not a trivial upgrade but would love to see UNDO for some of the pattern edit params. Partially to back out of bad choices/mistaken taps and partially for performance-type flipping.

Great idea to hold off on the JSON import (etc) until after the 1.0. One reason I was asking about it has more to do with templates than projects: would be great to see a set of MIDI note templates for popular iOS drum machines (like Rozeta does with X0X). Was thinking with JSON export/import, you could rely on the community to make and share them so that you have more time to do more interesting things with the app (and/or Columbian travels!).

Also, gotta add, sonogrid's is one of the most handsome icons to appear on my home screen in quite a while! Really well done.

• @Richtowns said:
    @kobamoto Just pop your 'institutionalized' samples into a sampler and use midi out. I recommend ReSlice

Yeah but the beauty of this app is it works great for on-the-go fun on iPhone--and opening two apps and connecting MIDI cuts down on the quick and easy opportunities. Not worth sweating or complaining! I'll still use the app but I think an all-in-one shop with sample import would take this one up a level (especially with export out). It really is quite fun and rewarding.

• @kobamoto said:
    all I wanted was to get my drum samples inside it and a Pepsi

Just point it at your favorite sample importer. Cause you know as soon as he adds sample import you're gonna say

all I wanted was panning and a Pepsi

:lol: :trollface: