Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LOGIC iOS RUMOURS!/ NEW USB-C RUMOUR + Why JOBS did not let his kids use iPad!

Comments

• edited September 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:
    I don't really care about Logic, I still don't think traditional DAWs work on ipad (as in they are always inferior to desktop workflow) unless someone comes up with a different way.

I am more interested in Final Cut on an iPad though. I would use that. Lumafusion is pretty good but in need of lots of basic features to make it pro. I need a Pro video editor on ipad, so I'm hoping this will happen.

Agree/

I am literally don't have Cubasis or any DAW on 3 out of 4 of my iOS devices for that reason.

I find the whole premise for my approach to iOS music making that it wasn't using a LAPTOP OR DESKTOP!

Yeah, I think it would have to be a complete rewrite of Logic to make it work for Touch, but who knows? At least Apple have the resources so they could in theory make it work. Much harder for indie devs with limited resources :).

I find that things like the Circuit are really making me see things differently.

Curious why things like the Circuit are really making you see things differently. Please explain.

I myself was into getting iOS music with Cubasis etc. But all this Mac/ Windows based workflows are just a painful. I see iOS audio stuff nowadays more as sketch and fun tools rather than Pro and efficient tools for doing complete audio production. The best things for me are simple apps like TriqTraq or Nanoloop or the unique apps by Apesoft, Nadzharov and Vasiliev that let you do interesting things with live input.

• For me it's the cost of Apps that is important. I saw a list of Kontakt (sub)product pricing and it helped me remember. For $100 on an iPad I can find hours of enjoyment discovering new sounds over a month and really feel like that money was well spent. For $100 in the desktop world I get a decent piano or a really great FX unit but feel that urge to buy new sounds and FX every week.

The $30 Mainstage and $200 Logic from Apple are subsidized through hardware revenue and something of a gift for a desktop user. All the acoustic instruments in Logic are included in Mainstage. But leave Apples store and you'll pay $60 for most AU's and if you want an acoustic library you face $200-400 pricing because they are marketing to the Pro Producers and price can mean quality support and implementation.

Here we buy beta products and help document everything to fix.

So, I like the IOS for pricing and try to workaround the things that don't work well. And I get to hang out with like minded people who love music and don't treat their knowledge as a competitive advantage but as something they should share to help those less sophisticated on the iPad/iPhone. What's on sale?

How many days left before we can complain about the actual new iPad(s)?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I should add... for a few months I was hooked on buying guitars, stompboxes and amps. $100 a month would have been extreme restraint building a good guitar pedal board rig. $100 won't get you a decent Overdrive with real hardware. So, I bought the asian knockoff for $40. Still... my total spend and enjoyment went up with the IOS Addiction vs real GAS.

• @McDtracy said:
    I should add... for a few months I was hooked on buying guitars, stompboxes and amps. $100 a month would have been extreme restraint building a good guitar pedal board rig. $100 won't get you a decent Overdrive with real hardware. So, I bought the asian knockoff for $40. Still... my total spend and enjoyment went up with the IOS Addiction vs real GAS.

I know myself... so I bought an Helix :smiley:
    Strymon bigsky drowns $500 at least.
    I like iOS ecosystem and pricing too. And the outcomes :wink:

• @McDtracy said:

why wait... I'll go ahead and start: WHAT no headphone jack? Also, we really needed 8GB ram but Apple robbed us again. How am I going to produce music without a home button? and, and, ... well, thats all I have for sarcasm. Its gonna be great and I'll love it

I do have one real complaint: try iPad multi-tasking while holding the iPad in portrait. When iOS 10 brought us "side-by-side multitasking" I dreamed of running 2 landscape apps, one on top of the other. imagine, MID sequencer up top, synth underneath!... no, not happening.
    Or this: a full-size movie on Netflix playing at the top of the screen while I browse AB forums... nope. why oh why is Apple making developers build their apps with support for 2732 v x 749 w . What app actually is functional in that way?

Anyway, I'll end my rant with this screenshot. Apple should be embarrassed.

• @Hmtx said:

@McDtracy said:

why wait... I'll go ahead and start: WHAT no headphone jack? Also, we really needed 8GB ram but Apple robbed us again. How am I going to produce music without a home button? and, and, ... well, thats all I have for sarcasm. Its gonna be great and I'll love it

I do have one real complaint: try iPad multi-tasking while holding the iPad in portrait. When iOS 10 brought us "side-by-side multitasking" I dreamed of running 2 landscape apps, one on top of the other. imagine, MID sequencer up top, synth underneath!... no, not happening.
    Or this: a full-size movie on Netflix playing at the top of the screen while I browse AB forums... nope. why oh why is Apple making developers build their apps with support for 2732 v x 749 w . What app actually is functional in that way?

Anyway, I'll end my rant with this screenshot. Apple should be embarrassed.

I’m going to cheat for multi tasking and find a clam case that holds 2 iPads ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m going to cheat for multi tasking and find a clam case that holds 2 iPads ;)

LOL

True story: if Apple ever updates the iPad Mini with Pro 2018 RAM/CPU specs I will absolutely do this.

• @david_2017 said:

@McDtracy said:
    I should add... for a few months I was hooked on buying guitars, stompboxes and amps. $100 a month would have been extreme restraint building a good guitar pedal board rig. $100 won't get you a decent Overdrive with real hardware. So, I bought the asian knockoff for $40. Still... my total spend and enjoyment went up with the IOS Addiction vs real GAS.

So of course I’ve gone and Googled ‘Strymon bigsky’, watched a demo, and now want one...

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:
    I don't really care about Logic, I still don't think traditional DAWs work on ipad (as in they are always inferior to desktop workflow) unless someone comes up with a different way.

I am more interested in Final Cut on an iPad though. I would use that. Lumafusion is pretty good but in need of lots of basic features to make it pro. I need a Pro video editor on ipad, so I'm hoping this will happen.

Agree/

I am literally don't have Cubasis or any DAW on 3 out of 4 of my iOS devices for that reason.

I find the whole premise for my approach to iOS music making that it wasn't using a LAPTOP OR DESKTOP!

Yeah, I think it would have to be a complete rewrite of Logic to make it work for Touch, but who knows? At least Apple have the resources so they could in theory make it work. Much harder for indie devs with limited resources :).

I find that things like the Circuit are really making me see things differently.

Fx apps are so valuable to me these days more than anything.

We shall see....

I have been thinking exactly the same thing- I can pretty much find what I want more by the effects than the sound source- which has recently led to the discovery of a waveshaper app called Flection by Elephantcandy- I can’t believe I missed this one- in just a day it has gone straight into my top three that I load in together at the start of a new session.

• @MonzoPro said:

@david_2017 said:

@McDtracy said:

So of course I’ve gone and Googled ‘Strymon bigsky’, watched a demo, and now want one...

impressive for shure, but it's also one of these devices featuring a 'modern' sound.
    Imho the Holderness bundle and/or AuFx are on par, add the AD480 for a (very) different reverb color. The 'hidden' reverb in EchoPad is as wide and 'glassy' as Strymon's - while the AD480 comes with more density.
    Adding Ape Matrix to the equation makes your iPad even more versatile than the stompbox... for a lower investment ;)

• @Telefunky said:

@MonzoPro said:

@david_2017 said:

@McDtracy said:

impressive for shure, but it's also one of these devices featuring a 'modern' sound.
    Imho the Holderness bundle and/or AuFx are on par, add the AD480 for a (very) different reverb color. The 'hidden' reverb in EchoPad is as wide and 'glassy' as Strymon's - while the AD480 comes with more density.
    Adding Ape Matrix to the equation makes your iPad even more versatile than the stompbox... for a lower investment ;)

Good point - I haven’t used the iPad much for guitar fx, need to remember to use that more. And I’m one of the few who still don’t have apematrix!

I tend to use GuitarRig if I’m recording into a desktop DAW, some pretty good fx in that one.

For gigs though it’s always nice to have a physical box with knobs to plug into, though as I’m normally on bass there’s not much call for reverbs like that one.

• I don't have ApeMatrix either o:) ... but it's cross control feature is quite obvious - simply avoiding screen flipping to tweak parameters in multiple apps.
    Totally ot: the most convincing bass 'fx' I ever experienced was on a Rocktron Intellifex.
    As I (painfully) learned later this particular unit was programmed by it's pre-owner in a stellar way. The test was a tough one for the box: a P-Bass clone with Dimarzio 122 PU and those 'Jamerson' 115 flatwound strings... yet no mud coming out of the speakers.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Telefunky said:

@MonzoPro said:

@david_2017 said:

@McDtracy said:

But the user experience in pushing these little buttons with the tip of your socks is priceless ;)
    fun aside.... I am really interested to hear what you are talking about. Do you play guitar? Will you be able to record if time allows something for us? I have a hard time imagine that some apps combined will sound as brilliant as the big sky. Excited to hear though. Thanks in advanced!
    (When you are into ambient and stuff like this on guitar, the strymon boxes seem to be the contemporary holy grail)

• edited September 2018

yes, I can do some with IOS only processing.
    Until then here's a dry take (JamUp with a Tweed setting and a tiny bit of 59Reverb)

of which snippets are turned into 'ambient' by ApeFilter. You'll recognize the filtered melody channel, but all rhythmic and glitchy parts are from the same guitar recording

It doesn't fully count in this context because the 'reverb' part is by Valhalla Übermod's TapeEcho setting (which is a personal favourite for that kind of washy, yet clear wide ambience).

• edited September 2018

While dialing some tones it just entered my mind... I better post the result in a dedicated thread.

• @Dawdles said:

@McDtracy said:
    For me it's the cost of Apps that is important. I saw a list of Kontakt (sub)product pricing and it helped me remember. For $100 on an iPad I can find hours of enjoyment discovering new sounds over a month and really feel like that money was well spent. For $100 in the desktop world I get a decent piano or a really great FX unit but feel that urge to buy new sounds and FX every week.

The $30 Mainstage and $200 Logic from Apple are subsidized through hardware revenue and something of a gift for a desktop user. All the acoustic instruments in Logic are included in Mainstage. But leave Apples store and you'll pay $60 for most AU's and if you want an acoustic library you face $200-400 pricing because they are marketing to the Pro Producers and price can mean quality support and implementation.

Here we buy beta products and help document everything to fix.

So, I like the IOS for pricing and try to workaround the things that don't work well. And I get to hang out with like minded people who love music and don't treat their knowledge as a competitive advantage but as something they should share to help those less sophisticated on the iPad/iPhone. What's on sale?

Gotta shop around ;) Desktop is no more expensive than iOS. Cheaper in fact. Except for 1:1 ports like Fabfilter.

This....you get what you pay for. Look for free ware or these 1 dollar super sales.
    Or buy into a (not cheap) bundle like Komplete which you get often even for 50% or more off and/or you can upgrade trough free instruments etc.
    Also consider that in most cases you can resell your plug-ins as well.
    These days neither is cheap or expensive. It‘s all relative.
    Of course there are unique tools on both platforms and it mostly depends on which workflow you prefer.
    Most important...doing research and you will find what you want for a good price or even totally free.

• App addiction on iOS is cheaper than app addiction on the desktop.

• @gusgranite said:
    App addiction on iOS is cheaper than app addiction on the desktop.

That might be true :) Even more expensive if you left synths and fall into sample library G.A.S. :o

• edited September 2018

@Telefunky said:
    yes, I can do some with IOS only processing.
    Until then here's a dry take (JamUp with a Tweed setting and a tiny bit of 59Reverb)

of which snippets are turned into 'ambient' by ApeFilter. You'll recognize the filtered melody channel, but all rhythmic and glitchy parts are from the same guitar recording

It doesn't fully count in this context because the 'reverb' part is by Valhalla Übermod's TapeEcho setting (which is a personal favourite for that kind of washy, yet clear wide ambience).

Bring the Valhalla to iOS :smiley:

Huihuihui,... (some german for wow :)), this sounds really good. I will try to make a little footage of some swells and ambient with my Helix for you guys too (if interested), that you can compare. Some of the newer released Reverbs of the Line 6 Team (in 2.6 point release) are really awesome and sound similar to the strymon stuff. Pretty much covered with the Box for now ;)

• Haha, @Telefunky and @david_2017 ... You guys have co-opted my meaningless rumor thread and are trying to give it meaning! You will fail just as so many who have gone before you! Nothing can survive in the vacuum of pure meaninglessness I have so carefully crafted on this virtual grease spot. Meanwhile I head toward 10k hits and beyond ( at least till 9/12) and you are unwittingly aiding me in my grand design! Haha!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Haha, @Telefunky and @david_2017 ... You guys have co-opted my meaningless rumor thread and are trying to give it meaning! You will fail just as so many who have gone before you! Nothing can survive in the vacuum of pure meaninglessness I have so carefully crafted on this virtual grease spot. Meanwhile I head toward 10k hits and beyond ( at least till 9/12) and you are unwittingly aiding me in my grand design! Haha!

Hahaha lmao... "vacuum of meaninglessness" love it :)

• I just want there to be some stuff I want.

• @Dawdles said:
    Gotta shop around ;) Desktop is no more expensive than iOS. Cheaper in fact. Except for 1:1 ports like Fabfilter.

I don't think I should shop. I'm having trouble keeping my iTunes spend under control. But I did buy a lot of desktop add-ons and I tend to want the best sample based instruments: PianoTeq for example. I settle for Addictive Keys to get a Rhodes added to some decent Pianos for around $80. PianoTeq starts at $129 and requires another $59 to add a Rhodes. When I look towards Orchestras it only gets more expensive.

I might go back to Logic and use the iPad as a sound module.

• edited September 2018

@McDtracy said:

@Dawdles said:

I don't think I should shop. I'm having trouble keeping my iTunes spend under control. But I did buy a lot of desktop add-ons and I tend to want the best sample based instruments: PianoTeq for example. I settle for Addictive Keys to get a Rhodes added to some decent Pianos for around $80. PianoTeq starts at $129 and requires another $59 to add a Rhodes. When I look towards Orchestras it only gets more expensive.

I might go back to Logic and use the iPad as a sound module.

McDTracy you most likely will not have to solely use your iPad as only a sound module. Cross functional IOS Compatibility and Integration (CCI) on MAC will be here and possibly announced on September 12th. There are many resources out there on IOS Cross platform compatibility.

• edited September 2018

@StMichaels said:
    Cross functional IOS Compatibility and Integration (CCI) on MAC will be here and possibly announced on September 12th.

The return to 3 Letter Acronyms is encouraging after this AU era.
    2 Letter Acronyms don't seem to stand the test of time.

If you Google CCI you'll find some occupants already (which just makes them even more fun!):

1. Cardiovascular Credentialing International
    2. Canine Companions for Independence Have you noticed Dogs are getting into the best Restaurants and Hotels to keep Humans Company?
    3. Center for Cultural Innovation

In Apple terms, I'm sure this means there will be new "Tools and Guidelines" for Developers to follow and we'll get to buy all our Apps again.

History teaches us that Technology follows the pattern of the Tides: Ebb and Flow. We're at a low Tide then
    and CCI will allow us to buy everything again just like the media content "waves":

• Vinyl at 78 RPM
    • Vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM
    • 1/4" Tape
    • 8-Track Tape
    • Cassette Tape (Metal in the WalkMan) - Mobile!
    • CD's (WalkMan 2)
    • Internet Streaming/Downloads (Napster)
    • iPod (The Beatles Sue Apple - "Carry your Library")
    • iPhone (Streaming)
      ** I decided to leave the TV/Movie formats out of the Post to avoid sending some into a deep depression over the way they have spent their money over a lifetime.

I have boxes of these Music formats in storage. Did I mention I have storage issues? I can't throw anything of value away. Even when it's clear there is no value to anyone else.

My daughter grabbed some vinyl boxes and just said:

"Damn! Someone REALLY liked Zappa. You have 13 Frank Zappa Vinyl Albums."

I'm just hoping she doesn't check out the cassettes and CD's and realize... you bought some of these 3 times?

HOW MANY DAYS LEFT?

We'd like to hit 10,000 Views before Mike's Birthday (which Rumor has it is September 12th)

• Thank you, @McDtracy for the kind kajoling. You neglected to add that these sound carriers got better and better as time went on. In electronics you always get your money's worth and you enjoyed the heck out of each new step. You are that kinda guy,

It seems no doubt that I will reach my goal of 10,000 views, now. Sort of anticlimactic... but CCI combined with the announcement of the New World Currency on Wednesday.... now that is a rumor I can fan for another 5000 hits! If I had the balls to change the title of the thread it would be a shoo in. But there are those here who would hate me for it and I may be on thin ice as is. There is just so much fun a body is entitled to.
    How about "CCI/Containing Contagious Inssurections Over CCI/Continuing Currency Investigations sponsored by CCI/Computers Controlled by Idiots... that should drive those lemmings over the cliff! Just 5000 more, lord, PLEASE!

• And almost forgot @McDtracy and all, listen to @Cib's Night Shift. It is a beauty.

• @LinearLineman said:
    It seems no doubt that I will reach my goal of 10,000 views, now.

Rumors are so 70's. Meh.

The new Hotness is "Conspiracy Theories". Let's try it!

PRIVATE COMMUNIQUE

I have PM'ed Micheal to request a MUTE function.

I would like to MUTE myself periodically AND a few Forum Members not to be disclosed here: (PM me for details). They already have organized to take control of the Forum and Mute us old friend for "Foot in Mouth Disease". They call us the FMD'ers.

I believe there is a league of opposing Forum Members that have PM'ed Michael requesting he shut down this site and create a new one that's "Invitation Only". So, game on!

They have "in a sinister fashion" requested Micheal create the "Reverse MUTE" so they can chat about us behind our backs and add members to their ranks.

Michael (suspiciously) has not replied to my PM. I have decided we need to act quickly and use leverage. I have purchased:

• AudioBus Remote
    • Loopy HD
    • and will get SampleBot when I get more budget

I have PM'ed Micheal letting him know I will generate additional iTunes accounts and keep the money flowing to protect access.
    I request you do the same or our days are numbered here. Our numbers are dwindling and theirs are growing with new members being given free synths from Propellerheads (and free Desktop Lite licenses). See how all the pieces fit together. We think it's about money but it's really about "being cool". It's probably too late but lets' go down swinging.

We need to protect Our Rights to annoy other people or what do we have to live for? Life leaves you with a certain set of skills (hat tip to Liam Neeson). If communication lines are shut down.
    I'll miss you old friend.

UPDATE: I think our PM's are being monitored. I'll write you a letter.