Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a low footprint EQ (ideally AU)

I’ve been routing a live input through AUM into Audiobus to capture in Loopy. This seem to add a bit of latency which is especially evident using percussive stuff so I’ve decided to use Audiobus only. The problem is that Audiobus has no built in EQ so I’m trying to find one that won’t noticeably bump latency.

Recommendations?

Comments

• I am in awe of ProQ2

• @AudioGus said:
    I am in awe of ProQ2

Low footprint. I’m in awe of AUMs built in thingy :)

• edited September 2018

@supadom said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am in awe of ProQ2

Hmmm

• @AudioGus said:

@supadom said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am in awe of ProQ2

Hmmm

It is for live use so it doesn’t have to be anything too posh.

• Parametric Equalizer von Ngo Minh Ngoc https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/parametric-equalizer/id1403326201?mt=8 seems to have been designed for this purpose

• (low footprint eq in AudioBus)

• edited September 2018

@supadom said:

@AudioGus said:

@supadom said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am in awe of ProQ2

Hmmm

It is for live use so it doesn’t have to be anything too posh.

Weird. i can use ProQ2 in BM3 at 128 latency but AB3 requires 1024.

Whats with that?

It actually is amazingly efficient to me.

• edited September 2018

I keep avoiding ProQ because I am, you know, cheap. And zMors EQ is pretty fantastic. And cheap.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I keep avoiding ProQ because I am, you know, cheap. And xMors EQ is pretty fantastic. And cheap.

I hear yah. I spoiled myself. I now do think it is the best audio app on iOS. If I had to buy everything over again it is the second app I would buy next to BM3.

• @nick said:
    Parametric Equalizer von Ngo Minh Ngoc https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/parametric-equalizer/id1403326201?mt=8 seems to have been designed for this purpose

+1 for that. No bells and whistles - just great clean sound and a well thought through UI. Ticks all the boxes for me.

• Cool beans guys. I bought Parametric Eq by Blue Mangoo. Will take it for a spin tomorrow and will report back.

Cheers

• DDMF EQs are really good... not sure how "low footprint" they are, though. The UI is dated, but they sound great. Not super-cheap in pricing.

• Without knowing your setup you could EQ on the way out instead of on the way in. I do this at my mixer to minimize latency.

• @Xsyst said:
    Without knowing your setup you could EQ on the way out instead of on the way in. I do this at my mixer to minimize latency.

It needs to be on the input as it then goes to loopy. The built in AUM eq was fine but for some reason AUM adds some latency in the chain and it just isn't viable for percussive sounds.

I'm using IPad Pro 10.5' at 128frames and all of the synthesis is done separately so I'm generally ok in terms of resources. But couple of instances of Turnado and Tonestack with Loopy, Samplr and vocal effects are enough to make it risky for live use even if CPU runs below 50% most of the time.

• OK, everything on 1 iPad at 128 for live use has to be risky and I see your need for a light EQ. multiout into hardware was were my mind ws going.

• No go. The Blue Mangoo eq adds too much latency. I wonder if it’s the case with all AUs?

In the meantime I’ve started looking for an outboard equaliser.

• edited September 2018

@supadom said:
    No go. The Blue Mangoo eq adds too much latency. I wonder if it’s the case with all AUs?

In the meantime I’ve started looking for an outboard equaliser.

Given my little ProQ2 in BM3 vs AB3 test I am wondering what is up with AB... ? perhaps?

• why not gotoeq? pretty nice eq

• @99476598326 said:
    why not gotoeq? pretty nice eq

Thinking the same. It’s pretty straight forward. I like it

• @david_2017 yep, straightforward and sounds great. not the precision of proQ2 but its a smaller footprint.

• @david_2017 said:

@99476598326 said:
    why not gotoeq? pretty nice eq

Thinking the same. It’s pretty straight forward. I like it

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m sure they are great apps but I might be throwing my money at them without solving the problem that may lay elsewhere. I’m talking to Michael about this.

• @Xsyst said:
    OK, everything on 1 iPad at 128 for live use has to be risky and I see your need for a light EQ. multiout into hardware was were my mind ws going.

I have circuit running alongside it just in case things go poo with IOS. The 10.5 is a pretty powerful machine if all apps are working as intended. That’s why I generally try to stay below 50%, because of the bugs. Might even switch to 256 frames, just in case.

• @supadom said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I’m sure they are great apps but I might be throwing my money at them without solving the problem that may lay elsewhere. I’m talking to Michael about this.

I would be interested in what you find out regarding this latency issue.

• @CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

I would be interested in what you find out regarding this latency issue.

First major discovery is that using AB3 + AUM for live mic/line input is not ideal as it adds up.

With AU (IAA?) There’s supposed to be latency compensation etc but from what I hear more often than not the devs don’t declare the added latency so Michael doesn’t know what to compensate for.

I’m totally out of my depth here but simply moving things around and A/B comparing different solutions until I get something playable.

I get massively anal trying to get latency for percussive instruments as if you play a tight groove but the captured loop plays back wrong it totally screws up the groove.

Today I’ve spent a couple of hours tightening the screw for my djembe channel, then picked up my guitar (going through ToneStack) and found latency absolutely unbearable. Restarted audiobus latency went back to normal. I have no idea what happened but I have a feeling there is some kind of cumulative effect making latency worse over time.

This does my head in even further as it is another variable that is hard to properly test other than spending hours playing and maintaining objectivity observing things.

Anyways. For now AUM is out.

Simplicity has cured the cat...almost.

• I'm following this thread for a couple of reasons now
    1. to see if supadom gets to the bottom of his dilemma
    2. to know more about iOS latencey

how does one go about measuring latency on iOS?
    It's a relative straight foreword thing on my production machines but I cannot seem to envision a reliable way of doing this on iOS. Has anyone a reliable way of measuring this outside of just feel?

@supadom does running your chain inside something Like Cubase or Auria and monitoring the output have the same results as the more modular app approach of AB3 + AUM? What I'm wondering is if keeping it inside one app compensates correctly for latency introduced by the DSP.

I know you came for EQ advise but I think you've got a tiger by the tail.

Of course, we are music makers, not Developers and I understand if its not worth the investigation.

• @Xsyst said:
    I'm following this thread for a couple of reasons now

It's a relative straight foreword thing on my production machines but I cannot seem to envision a reliable way of doing this on iOS. Has anyone a reliable way of measuring this outside of just feel?

@supadom does running your chain inside something Like Cubase or Auria and monitoring the output have the same results as the more modular app approach of AB3 + AUM? What I'm wondering is if keeping it inside one app compensates correctly for latency introduced by the DSP.

Of course, we are music makers, not Developers and I understand if its not worth the investigation.

I use AUM and you can click on DSP icon to see the latency used also on certain FX you can click beside the FX nodes to see the latency added by that effect. AUM uses latency compensation. That’s about as much as I know.🙂

• Man....silQ, zmors, Fab filter, gotoeq....o only have aufx and can't decide what to get now.... Uh to hard to decide...fabfilter is a bit pricy but if it kills em all...it's worth it

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Xsyst said:

I use AUM and you can click on DSP icon to see the latency used also on certain FX you can click beside the FX nodes to see the latency added by that effect. AUM uses latency compensation. That’s about as much as I know.🙂

i'll give 'er a shot, thanks.

• @reasOne said:
    Man....silQ, zmors, Fab filter, gotoeq....o only have aufx and can't decide what to get now.... Uh to hard to decide...fabfilter is a bit pricy but if it kills em all...it's worth it

It is so worth it.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Xsyst said:

From my exchanges with Michael it seems that all of the host apps should provide latency compensation but that’s dependant on plugins developers declaring it to the host. So Audiobus also has that feature.

Another thing I’ve learned is that when audio is routed through AUM into Audiobus hosted apps the resulted signal cannot be compensated for. This is why I’ve decided to drop AUM completely and start using Audiobus only.

People talk of AB and AUM being perfect partners but it does have the negative sides. From what I see Audiobus is gaining more ground with latest updates and in my eyes has already surpassed AUM. I say this because I use Loopy a lot and Loopy integration in Audiobus is fantastic. Seems like Michael is putting hours into the midi learn implementation now.

I’m currently using the Blue Mangoo eq (super helpful developer) in Audiobus and it works fine for percussion but Audiobus still doesn’t seem to support AU presets so the state has to be saved with the session at present. However since getting super anal with latency on percussive stuff I’ve noticed a massive fluctuation in ToneStack latency when I use guitar.

Session restart cured it which makes me wonder whether there is some kind of time cumulative build up that makes latency worse. I’m out of depth here.

@xsyst I don’t use DAWs anymore so can’t comment on that but I’d expect the big dogs like Cubasis and Auria should be good at the AU game. I feel it’s more likely that the one man developer might struggle with AU implementation. Of course not a steadfast rule.

But yes, one app environment makes issue easier to find for sure.