Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ripplemaker „-ki Techniques“ Preset Bank v2 (updated, free)

_ki_ki
edited September 2018 in App Tips and Tricks

In preparation for the next Audiobus sound design fest, i built a preset bank for Ripplemaker by Brambos that showcases various techniques. This should provide you with some basic and advanced ideas for sound design and circuit bending of this West Coast Flavored Modular Synth.

The patches are designed to be of ‚technical nature‘, i tried to keep many knob settings at a ‚neutral‘ or ‚default‘ position - tweaked just enough to highlight the sound of the technique to be shown. I also disabled the FX or opened up the filter. Therefore this preset bank does not represent the full sound potential of Ripplemaker but instead shows the various routing possibilities.

Instructions

Download them directly
and choose to open in Ripplemaker. After importing you will get a message to quit/restart ripplemaker.

The version 2 preset bank contains 64 presets that will show up in a -ki Technics folder inside Ripplemaker IAA and AU. Installing the new version will update the previous version presets.

Comments

• Cool! Excited to check these out when I next get a chance. I'm looking forward to contributing to that design 'fest'.

• Thanks.. easy install too..

• Excellent! I look forward to diving into this. The organized color-coding of the cables was a nice touch.

• Well done! Thanks!

• Fantastic!
    Thank you so much.

• thanks , appreciate the effort!

• excellent, totally appreciated.. was looking forward to these but was concerned ripplemaker might not make it into the monthly design fest. fine fine work @_ki

• Thanks for the positive feedback :)

If someone has more/new/wierd ideas for routings or techniques that i missed, just explain the routing in this thread or via pm. Or post a screenshot. You don‘t need to care about the cable colors, as i have rebuild the preset.

If there are enough new entries, i will post a v2 of the bank - i already checked that one can append/overwrite presets.

• Sweeeet!
    Thank you @_ki
    B)

• Good job. Thankyou

• Thanks for the patches. I love that Ripplemaker, and have uploaded at least two videos in here featuring it. I recently bought an O-Coast, but have yet to get it sounding as good as Ripplemaker.

• @_ki , thank you. A brilliant idea for a preset bank.

• hey, thank you so much for putting this together. I've only recently delved into ripplemaker and this really helps!

• @brambos I just found out that importing an updated zip of my presets (which stores all files in a own Ripplemaker folder) does not overwrite the existing presets as it does with presets in the root of the zip :/
    I know storing to own folders is not an official feature, but could you do a little ‚bugfix‘ for this ? Just try to import my zip twice for debugging.

I myself know a workaround to fix this (backing up all user presets, removing Ripplemaker, reinstalling Ripplemaker, reimporting all zip preset packs - takes about a minute and lots of steps) but this is too compilcated for the others and updating presets in a folder will probably also be used in the AB Forums Ripplemakr Soundfest.
  • @_ki said:
    @brambos I just found out that importing an updated zip of my presets (which stores all files in a own Ripplemaker folder) does not overwrite the existing presets as it does with presets in the root of the zip :/
    I know storing to own folders is not an official feature, but could you do a little ‚bugfix‘ for this ? Just try to import my zip twice for debugging.

I myself know a workaround to fix this (backing up all user presets, removing Ripplemaker, reinstalling Ripplemaker, reimporting all zip preset packs - takes about a minute and lots of steps) but this is too compilcated for the others and updating presets in a folder will probably also be used in the AB Forums Ripplemakr Soundfest.

As with anything related to the filesystem it's probably not really quick fix (many things can and will eventually go wrong with file handling on iOS, so it always needs lots of testing). Could you explain what exactly is the desired behavior in this case and what you see happening? :)

• Thanks for these, really helpful. :)

• @brambos another feature request, any chance of having different colour schemes? This could be really useful when multiple Ripplemakers are open when it gets more confusing. A dark version would also be good for moody patches :)

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2018

@brambos

Thanks for the fast reply and your fantastic apps :)

• Your exported backup zip stores all preset files at the root of the zip.
    • My zip contains all preset files in a subfolder.
    • When my zip is unzipped, all presets will be installed in a subfolder/menu in Ripplemaker.
    • If i now unzip a newer version of my presets, the existing presets in my folder are not overwritten - Ripplemaker seems to test if a preset already exists and then skips the file during the unzip
    • I would like that existing files are replaced by the ones in the zip

I assume that you just need to add the 'overwrite yes' flag to the call of the unzip library.

This would allow to replace existing preset files (updating) and means no change to the preset backup itself.

• Thanks for all your effort. I look forward to playing with these later. Ripplemaker is one of my go to synths - absolutely brilliant and I think underrated.

• @Carnbot said:
    @brambos another feature request, any chance of having different colour schemes? This could be really useful when multiple Ripplemakers are open when it gets more confusing. A dark version would also be good for moody patches :)

:heart:

• Thank you so much, I can't wait to dig into these.

• Very nice. Thanks for the work that went behind these presets.

• edited September 2018

@_ki said:
    @brambos

Thanks for the fast reply and your fantastic apps :)

• Your exported backup zip stores all preset files at the root of the zip.
    • My zip contains all preset files in a subfolder.
    • When my zip is unzipped, all presets will be installed in a subfolder/menu in Ripplemaker.
    • If i now unzip a newer version of my presets, the existing presets in my folder are not overwritten - Ripplemaker seems to test if a preset already exists and then skips the file during the unzip
    • I would like that existing files are replaced by the ones in the zip

I assume that you just need to add the 'overwrite yes' flag to the call of the unzip library.

This would allow to replace existing preset files (updating) and means no change to the preset backup itself.

Alrighty. I've made some changes to the file-import/handling which hopefully are going to help:

• existing presets are now overwritten with the files from the zip backup
    • presets from any "accidentally created"* user folder can now be deleted
    • empty "accidentally created" user folders are now automatically removed
    • invisible MAC OS files (._blabla) and system folders which may have snuck into your zip-file are now automatically removed

This 1.2.2 update is currently over at Apple's for review...

*) although these user-subfolders are not an officially supported/intended feature, I'll leave the bug/loophole open for you to exploit (at your own peril) if you like ;)

• Thank you very much for this, @_ki .

• @Brambos Wow - thanks a lot for your additions, thats more than i‘ve hoped for :)

I'm also pleased you're thinking about security issues that might have sneaked in through the loophole.

In the moment i discovered „accidentally created“ user folders, i knew it was not an intended feature of the preset backup mechanism. So to me it felt like cicuit bending Ripplemaker.
    It's really great that this „non-feature“ will not be disabled, but instead the updated Ripplemaker will even support the deletion of these presets and folders.

• Now that the Ripplemaker v1.2.3 update has landed, i can post my updated version of the presets.

Instructions

Download version 2 directly and choose to open in Ripplemaker. After importing you will get a message to quit/restart ripplemaker.

• Thanks to the new ApeMatrix Oscilloscope AU i noticed that the VCA drives the signal into clipping when the gain is near its max (nice feature BTW). To emphasize the sound differences of the techniques I reduced the gain of almost all presets so that no gain-clipping artifacts are added.

• I also added 12 new techniques:

• TECH Noise EOC Timed
      • TECH Noise Tuned
      • TECH Osc Gate-FM (key off)
      • TECH Osc Filter CircuitBend-LFO
      • TECH Osc Fold CircuitBend-LFO
      • TECH Osc Fold HF-Crackles
      • TECH Osc Pitch EOC Timed +12
      • TECH Osc Shape HF-Crackles
      • TECH ShapeOsc Bitcrush
      • TECH _CB LFO Noise
      • TECH _CB Osc Erratic Pitch
      • TECH _CB Osc Noise Bursts
    • You may want to delete the duplicate patches:

• TECH Tuned Noise (Now named TECH Noise Tuned)
      • TECH Osc LFO RingMod (the one without the - between LFO and RingMod)