Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer EXS Import (attached poll)

Through this together quickly today. After they added EXS file support I wanted to get the app. I realized that it wasn't very intuitive on the import process. It took me a little while to figure it out, well I only had the app for 12 hours or so. Thought I would share that nugget of knowledge. This app is pretty deep as a sampler. I will dive in more and more as I have time.

Youtube Tutorial for AudioLayer
  1. AudioLayer Tutorial Types20 votes
    1. Short quick-tip videos for specific tasks(Round robin, make a kick drum, import EXS instruments, etc
      50.00%
    2. Longer videos (Overview, This is what this button does, etc.)
      10.00%
    3. Combination of both
      40.00%

Comments

• Thanks for doing this! It will help someone avoid the steep learning curve.

I did use the iCloud folder on my Mac to place all the files in the import directory. The *trick( is top wait until all those files are securely in the cloud before going to the iPad and double-clicking on the *.exs file. All the samples and this *.exs file should be in the root level of the /import folder within AudioLayer's icloud folder.

Since all the files are in the cloud, the iPad will slowly pull them down and list each file as it gets imported. When it's done the FINISHED box shows up in WHITE.

Then I test and tweak the imported EXS instrument and then delete the contents of the /import folder to install another instrument from Mainstage, Logic or an Internet Vendor.

Importing any SF2 libraries into Mainstage or Logic's EXS24 Sampler allows the cycle to continue with fresh instruments.
    That's how I got the Salamander C5 Piano over into AudioLayer
    with it's hundred plus stereo samples.

• Thanks! Now I can import my triple felt piano exs24 and use as audio unit. It’s been my dream to do so for a few months. Worked smoothly.

• @ion677 said:
    I can import my triple felt piano

What does triple felt imply? Is it a super soft attack sound or felt strips used to mute the instrument? Did you record it yourself?

• When running AL on local mod, no AudioLayer folder shows up under ”On My iPad”, as I (after watcing this video) understand it should. Anyone else having this problem? Any additional step needed to make it show up? @VirSyn , any idea?

• THANKS Mitch!!!
    Finally a good explanation. When Virsyn stays silent and not pushing videos out, the community does! Finally I could import the EXs files. My problem was the folder. I was not aware of having it „on my iphone/pad“

• Oh has someone a convenient method to preview exs files? I have a MacBook too with GarageBand mainstage and Reason - is there a quick and convenient way?

• This is awesome. Thank you!

I successfully imported one EXS24 sound (the M1 piano) from Logic Café but some others don’t want to work. Either I’m told the format is too old or it just silently fails.

Has the EXS format changed over the years (the ones failing are from 2007 and 2010)?

Or am I perhaps doing something wrong?

An example of one that fails for me is the Matrix 6 EXS from that site.

• edited August 2018

The "on my ipad" AL folder only appears for me if I copy a file into the itunes documents folder from a computer otherwise it's invisible.

But the same process works with the icloud folder with files on your ipad, just copy with Files into the "import" folder of the AL icloud folder and tap an EXS24 file to import.

• @NoonienS I am about to install a fresh copy of AudioLayer on my Air 1 to test and see how to get the audiolayer folder to show up.

• @NoonienS said:
    When running AL on local mod, no AudioLayer folder shows up under ”On My iPad”, as I (after watcing this video) understand it should. Anyone else having this problem? Any additional step needed to make it show up? @VirSyn , any idea?

it did show up eventually for me, can’t remember the routine but i had to switch to icloud mode and import something first.. all yr ‘on my ipad’ presets will disappear temporarily but when you switch back to Local ipad Storage they will still be there so don’t panic..
    The thing to remember once you have switched back is that the ‘on my ipad’ folder in the files app WON’T have any IMPORT folder... no worries, you just copy the exs instrument and all the samples directly into that root folder and tap the exs file and they will import aok.. except sometimes you will find older format exs files won’t and you get a warning panel.. eg, about 3 out of 10 or so exs drum machines from the Logic-cafe site wouldn’t import.

• Ok. So I figured it out. I did a fresh install on my iPad Air 1. No Audiolayer folder in the "On My iPad" section.

I then imported a sample via the app. Still no Audiolayer folder.

I then proceeded to select a file from iCloud(it could be from anywhere I assume but just use the files app) and select Move at the bottom. It brings up a dialog box to move the item. Select "On My iPad" and you will see an AudioLayer folder. Select it and press copy.

After that, you will see an "AudioLayer" Folder in the "On My iPad"

I will most definitely shoot a quick video demo of this later on today but figured I would write it out here for those of use that actually read through this amazing forum.

• this is what i thought as well, has anyone got it to work?

• @McDtracy said:

@ion677 said:
    I can import my triple felt piano

What does triple felt imply? Is it a super soft attack sound or felt strips used to mute the instrument? Did you record it yourself?

Watch the Christian Hanson ⬆️⬆️ Video to get it for free. It’s got a lot of character.

• i’m trying to get samples in the correct video. like on the audiodabbler video. However i don’t have an “audiolayer “ folder in the “ on my iphone folder “ like i’m the video. how can i make it visible?

• @eross

Try this to see. It worked for me on a fresh install on my Air 1.

@gmslayton said:
    Ok. So I figured it out. I did a fresh install on my iPad Air 1. No Audiolayer folder in the "On My iPad" section.

I then imported a sample via the app. Still no Audiolayer folder.

I then proceeded to select a file from iCloud(it could be from anywhere I assume but just use the files app) and select Move at the bottom. It brings up a dialog box to move the item. Select "On My iPad" and you will see an AudioLayer folder. Select it and press copy.

After that, you will see an "AudioLayer" Folder in the "On My iPad"

I will most definitely shoot a quick video demo of this later on today but figured I would write it out here for those of use that actually read through this amazing forum.

• @gmslayton oh wow! it worked. thank you so much for making, and posting this video. This opens up a
    whole other world
    of options on ipad. i just imported the triple felt piano from spitfire. it sounds amazing. I cannot say it enough but thank you. it so cool!
    if dev is listening..... how about kontakt libraries next? 😉

• Thanks @gmslayton , that did the trick!

• your welcome!

• @eross said:
    @gmslayton oh wow! it worked. thank you so much for making, and posting this video. This opens up a
    whole other world
    of options on ipad. i just imported the triple felt piano from spitfire. it sounds amazing. I cannot say it enough but thank you. it so cool!
    if dev is listening..... how about kontakt libraries next? 😉

If they manage to reverse engineer NI’s sampler engine so they can support Kontakt libraries, we’ll have the first real iOS killer app for music production.

• Thanks for this.

• @david_2017 said:
    Oh has someone a convenient method to preview exs files? I have a MacBook too with GarageBand mainstage and Reason - is there a quick and convenient way?

Load the EXS instrument into the Apple EXS24 Sampler inside Mainstage and play (MIDI or Virtual Keyboard) it there to hear it.

The fastest way to load the EXS24 Sampler in Mainstage is to select the an Acoustic Piano instrument which is always an EXS24 based option. Once EXS24 is loaded clicking "Edit" for another window is needed to Export. I haven't imported yet but I'll check.

With EXS24 you can select from a list of EXS24 exclusive instrumentation. Lot's of drums, and acoustic sample-based instruments to choose from and some audio Loops too I think.

• @McDtracy said:

@david_2017 said:
    Oh has someone a convenient method to preview exs files? I have a MacBook too with GarageBand mainstage and Reason - is there a quick and convenient way?

Load the EXS instrument into the Apple EXS24 Sampler inside Mainstage and play (MIDI or Virtual Keyboard) it there to hear it.

The fastest way to load the EXS24 Sampler in Mainstage is to select the an Acoustic Piano instrument which is always an EXS24 based option. Once EXS24 is loaded clicking "Edit" for another window is needed to Export. I haven't imported yet but I'll check.

With EXS24 you can select from a list of EXS24 exclusive instrumentation. Lot's of drums, and acoustic sample-based instruments to choose from and some audio Loops too I think.

Thank you very much mate! I will try mainstage then 👊🏼😎

• @eross Your welcome. It does open up iOS for some very nice instruments.

@NoonienS Your welcome. Glad it helped.

I also attached a poll at the top to see what type of tutorial videos you guys are interested in with this app specifically. I

am slowly discovering how deep this app can get and might not do well in the traditional overview videos. The sound design in this app is super deep, being able to layer and zone out things, use the same samples for multiple layers or zones, etc. Its crazy.

Let me know.

• Ok then. I had to buy this now that I see it is fairly easy to do EXS imports. Thanks a lot :wink:

It seems kinda CPU heavy... not sure if it will run 5 instances on my iPhone 5. I was thinking synth pad, piano, organ, strings, and lead synth.

• @Hmtx said:
    It seems kinda CPU heavy... not sure if it will run 5 instances on my iPhone 5. I was thinking synth pad, piano, organ, strings, and lead synth.

It can be pushed really hard with a lot of samples over many layers and zones but there are CPU costs to that.

In a complex iPhone Mix I'd seek really light weight instruments with say one sample per octave or more. If the sample doesn't have any vibrato you'll be surprized how wide a single sample can be leveraged. I have an oboe sample I love with one sample.
    I get more realism my adding a slow Modulation setting 5% on sample and hold random. Then any artificial highs can be muted with a really slow phaser effect and it still won't sound dull like EQ'ing off all the highs.

So, tweaking your own strings, etc can really help. There are some really nice sounding Pianos that have very few samples from the typical Romplers of the early 2000's out there in SF2 form. Not a ton of layers are needed to cut through a complex mix really.

I think making your own samples might be the best shot at an iPhone set up. Also look into the Audio Evolution Mobile Studio App for $7 that uses a good SF2 default soundfont with a reasonable piano and good strings. The App has an IAP for slightly better orchestra instruments too. It runs on the iPhone and people say the User Interface works for them on the iPhone.
    Check it out before the price goes up after all the Apple required pieces are added and it catches on. It's one of the Top DAW's on Android with 100,000+ installs (and IAP sales) so the developer is making a living and wants to succeed on IOS too. It's actually an Amiga DAW from the early 2000's that has been updated ever since.

There are really good instruments in Apple's Mainstage for $30 (the same ones used in Logic Pro) and any of the acoustic pianos there can be exported as EXS24 and imported into AL and sound the same. Maybe better with the @VirsSyn FX chain... not sure. The FX chain sells for $10 alone. Too bad the AL AU FX doesn't expose the FX as a passthrough. The AU FX exists to allow you to pipe other AU/IAA App's into AL, I think.

Just be advised the iCloud option to save instruments offline seems to want smaller samples to load quickly. The option to use local storage might change the process to import EXS24's a bit.

• @McDtracy
    That is very helpful! I do have Mainstage and will be trying to export some instruments.

• Talking of Mainstage, does anyone have experience of it’s automatic instrument maker bit? Seems that might make a perfect match for virsyns app.

• Has anybody find a way to make/import EXS instruments in Windows10 environment?

• I’ve got some exs files that don’t come with any samples. When I load them in Audiolayer, nothing happens. Any ideas?